• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steven Spielberg : Superhero Movies Will Go the Way of the Western

Status
Not open for further replies.
its the CoD Cycle imo.

But why have shitty rom coms not gone the way of the western yet?

They pretty much have.

Mid budget romantic comedies were propped up by the rental and DVD market. When that got obliterated by streaming services the majority were no longer profitable. They're clearly in decline and this will get worse as the overseas market becomes more important.

yo-180x180.jpg

Tarantino Directing phase 57 of the MCU confirmed.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
While I'm expecting a notable scale back in the amount of movies, I'm not expecting it to be as dramatic as Westerns given yhe state of the international box office and the ability to find an audience for blockbusters.

Like people cited Call of Duty in the thread, but it's still very frequently the best selling $60 retail game every year it comes out even if it sells less and despite the push to open worlds as the dominant market "genre", shooters are still relatively plentiful and perform very well.

Basically I expect to see the limited variety of blockbusters expand and for comic books to make up a smaller, but consistent part of that. We see Universal benefitting tremendously from basically making the same types of movies as everyone else, but having more thematic diversity, which people seem itching for.

This posts makes no sense.

They have become boring recently with that sort of manufactured Marvel feel. They make too many. I can't keep track of the amount of pointless blockbusters they push out every year. Super hero films died whenever that Nolan batman trilogy ended.

They have become boring and they make too many. I can't keep track of the amount of pointless blockbusters they push out every year. Super hero films died whenever that Nolan batman trilogy ended.

I think he means if you haven't watched them in years, you have no way to be tired of them, and no way to know if they're boring or not.

It's like complaining you're tired of FPS games if you haven't played one since Doom

They have become boring recently with that sort of manufactured Marvel feel. They make too many. I can't keep track of the amount of pointless blockbusters they push out every year. Super hero films died whenever that Nolan batman trilogy ended.
I feel bad that you can't count to two, because that's how many movies Marvel has put out this year.

Finaika

You'll be in heaven next year.

Deadpool
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Captain America: Civil War
X-Men: Apocalypse
Suicide Squad
Gambit
Dr. Strange

Oddduck

I've said this before, but the fatigue won't just come from superhero movies. There are a lot of other things causing fatigue of comic book entertainment.

TV shows like The Flash, Arrow, Daredevil, Gotham, Supergirl, Agents of Shield, Agent Carter, Jessica Jones, and Powers. Then we have future shows coming like Titans, DC’s Legends of Tomorrow, Luke Cage, The Defenders, and Krypton. Oh, and Fox is making a live-action X-Men show.

Video games like Batman Arkham Knight.

L

Lord Virgin

Unconfirmed Member
Meeh, there is enough variety in superhero movies. I think it will survive much longer, just look at two Marvel movies people loved:

-Captain America: Winter Soldier
-Guardians of the Galaxy

One is a space-opera, the other feels like a 70s spy kinda movie. Ant-Man is more of a heist movie and so on. You'll probably get the same with WB/DC. There is just about enough to satisfy a lot of people and keep it fresh (if done right that is). I don't really like the Marvel movies but loved the Captain America movies so yeah: like I said, they have something for pretty much everyone. The comicbook fans will never get tired of them and as long as they keep doing what they have been doing I don't see the general audience getting bored.

Trickster

Marvel just needs to keep it fresh and introduce new heroes on a more regular basis. Iron Man is pretty played out at this point, Thor is not a great hero for solo movies, and Captain America is just not that interesting of a character, plus he's not that strong for a superhero. Luckily, their phase 3 lineup introduces at ton of new heroes and elements of the marvel universe.

DC just need to get their shit together and emulate how Marvel does it.

ZdkDzk

It's obviously going to decline, but I don't know if it'll be as bad as westerns. There's a difference between falling to the wayside in popularity and nunber, and having the entire genre become borderline non-existent for decades.

FeD.nL

Of course it's going to happen. Still the scope that Marvel has realized with their Cinematic Universe is pretty damn impressive. Seriously by the end of phase 3 having 22 films and 11 seasons of (mini) series that all share an overarching narrative is probably something that won't happen again, and than phase 4 still has to happen.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
this has kinda happened a few times already.

The 80's had super hero / comics films (Swamp Thing, Superman 2 - 4, Howard The Duck, Batman, Heavy Metal, The Punisher, Masters of the Universe, Transformers , SHeena Queen of the Jungle, Super Girl, Robocop*yes he's Judge Dredd* )

as did the 90's (The Crow, Batman Returns-Batman/Robin, Hardware, Steel, Mystery Men, The Mask, Timecop, Blade, Tank Girl, BarbWire, Judge Dredd, MiB, Spawn, Virus, The Phantom, The Rocketeer, TMNT1 - 2, Dick Tracy)

The current success of the comics films as expected has brought many opinions about the genre because of its success not because people on the sidelines are suddenly in the know.

No one expects superheros films to keep making billions a year , the past 10 years have been amazing we got what comics fans have been yearning for , for decades with Batman, Iron Man , Avengers and such of course that was going to be big. I don't think Spielberg gets that aspect of the phenomenon.

. Comics live on thats what they do.

this has kinda happened a few times already.

The 80's had super hero / comics films (Swamp Thing, Superman 2 - 4, Howard The Duck, Batman, Heavy Metal, The Punisher, Masters of the Universe, Transformers , SHeena Queen of the Jungle, Super Girl, Robocop*yes he's Judge Dredd* )

as did the 90's (The Crow, Batman Returns-Batman/Robin, Hardware, Steel, Mystery Men, The Mask, Timecop, Blade, Tank Girl, BarbWire, Judge Dredd, MiB, Spawn, Virus, The Phantom, The Rocketeer, TMNT1 - 2, Dick Tracy)

The current success of the comics films as expected has brought many opinions about the genre because of its success not because people on the sidelines are suddenly in the know.

No one expects superheros films to keep making billions a year , the past 10 years have been amazing we got what comics fans have been yearning for , for decades with Batman, Iron Man , Avengers and such of course that was going to be big. I don't think Spielberg gets that aspect of the phenomenon.

. Comics live on thats what they do.

exactly what I was saying. These things never really die out, they just change approach a little.

edit: Good call on Robocop being a superhero film- that one flew right by me despite it being a personal favorite.

Spielberg is known for being nostalgic for a certain pre-WW2 time period and makes films that reference this pretty frequently. He's NEVER made a film that's anything close to a a modern heroic film. Him not "getting" what makes superheroes appealing makes sense in context.

Cuburt

It could have the typical genre cycle like Westerns but he also says Westerns will come back as if there are only a few genres that remain timeless and come and go in their popularity.

Westerns aren't going to suddenly make a comeback. They had their time and they feel much less relevant now, especially when other genres have taken what was timeless from the Westerns and put it into other genres.

If studios are smart, they'll continue to infuse comic films with elements of different genres because that's what comic books are anyways, stories that take their narrative cues from other works of fiction that preceded them. Western on the other hand didn't have much room to grow as a genre and if Superhero films were only interested in retelling the hero's journey over and over, then yes it would burn out as a genre as well.

The films that have come out of comic books, extends beyond just capes so I don't think it will ever stop as influence and adaptations. That's like saying that sci-fi or fantasy "will go the way of the western".

How many decades have we have had Bond films for now? I think people just want Superheroes to go away. There is little that suggests to me the genre, if you want to call it that, has an expiration date.

guek

Banned
I really hope so, most of them are garbage.

This is such a common sentiment that boggles the mind. Lots and lots of people enjoy them...so why should they disappear?

I dislike the transformers movies but it makes more sense to me to wish they were good than to wish they would go away. Lots of people love those movies too.

I don't like country music but I don't proudly proclaim a desire to see the country music industry crash and burn.

I don't watch WWE but lots of other people do so whatever, keep on trucking.

Is it based off of some misguided notion that they're taking money away from other projects? It's not like Disney is going to suddenly start making Mad Max movies. Do people not realize tentpoles help pay for smaller projects? Do they think Hollywood would suddenly not be interested in reboots, remakes, and sequels were it not for comicbook movies?

I just don't get it.

Rather odd these comments come out as Disney says "Thanks, but no thanks" to a new deal with Dreamworks.

No it's not. Spielberg's been saying this shit for years. This article just tried to make his casual comment in which he himself even highlights is obviousness into a big deal when it's not.

Game Guru

The problem with Westerns is that it is, at its core, a period piece. The Western has a certain period and place that it is set in, namely the American West between 1843 to 1890. People think Westerns are its own genre of fiction, but really, it was just a very popular setting for stories for a very long period of time. Superheroes or the genre defined as 'Superhero' is much more varied. I mean, both Blade the Daywalker and Guardians of the Galaxy take place in the Marvel Universe and are Marvel characters. However, if you look at the Blade films and then look at Guardians of the Galaxy, they could not be any more different in film genre besides being Speculative Fiction. Blade is vampire horror while Guardians of the Galaxy is space opera. The innovation that Marvel popularized in film is the Shared Universe, an element that superhero comics are best known for. Basically, the Vampire Horror Character exists in the same universe as the Space Opera Team and this extends to other different genres.

I mean people commented in this topic about the number of spy thrillers this year, but Winter Soldier was also a spy thriller... and that actually does exist in the same universe as Guardians of the Galaxy, the space opera. Having said that, I do think there will be a decline in superhero material, but mostly because eventually only Warner Bros and Disney will actually make superhero films and shows featuring DC and Marvel characters. Once Sony loses Spider-Man and Fox loses Fantastic Four and X-Men, that's it for them with familiar superhero properties. It would literally just be Warner Bros/DC and Disney/Marvel at that point.

No it's not. Spielberg's been saying this shit for years. This article just tried to make his casual comment in which he himself even highlights is obviousness into a big deal when it's not.

I know he's said it before, but that doesn't mean he's not salty about the Dreamworks/Disney deal falling through, too.

guek

Banned
I wish it would hurry up and happen. They're monopolizing the fuck out of action movies.

No, they are not.

2015 Action Movies
SW: Force Awakens
The Man from UNCLE
Hitman: Agent 47
MI: Rogue Nation
Age of Ultron
Mad Max
American Ultra
Fant4stic
San Andreas
Ant-Man
Terminator Genisys
Insurgent
Jurassic World
Transporter Refeuled
Furious 7
Maze Runner 2
Spectre
Jupiter Ascending
Pan
Run All Night
The Last Witch Hunter
Point Break
Blackhat
Tak3n
Kingsman: The Secret Service
Spy
Chappie
Mockingjay Pt 2
Everest
The Hateful Eight

The comicbook movies are in bold. This is not what a monopoly looks like.

DonasaurusRex

Online Ho Champ
exactly what I was saying. These things never really die out, they just change approach a little.

edit: Good call on Robocop being a superhero film- that one flew right by me despite it being a personal favorite.

Spielberg is known for being nostalgic for a certain pre-WW2 time period and makes films that reference this pretty frequently. He's NEVER made a film that's anything close to a a modern heroic film. Him not "getting" what makes superheroes appealing makes sense in context.

im just being patient till its Black Canary, Teen Titans, Sub Mariner, Icon, Blood Syndicate, Martha Washington, Lobo , Thunderbolts and Heroes for Hire time to shine. Cant wait to see the people clamor for the next big thing while i sit back sippin beer sayin *about..damn...time*

Seriously DC don't you want the money? Teen Titans!

I know he's said it before, but that doesn't mean he's not salty about the Dreamworks/Disney deal falling through, too.

It was just an odd thing to try and inject into his reason for saying something he's always said - like it was some how motivated by Dreamworks and Disney deciding not to renew their deal. Dreamworks is partnering with Universal anyway.

Decado

So..? Last I checked there aren't just big budget action movies.

Context. Superhero films generally cover a certain genre/style, so it makes more sense to measure it against that genre/style. If, say, 20% of blockbuster action films are superhero films, that's more interesting/meaningful than saying 2% of all films are superhero films.

I'm not really for or against having a lot of superhero blockbusters, BTW. Just looking at this from another angle.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom