• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How mad will you be if the PS5/XB2 don't play PS4/XB1 games?

Majanew

Banned
Even though I still own my original copies of Halo 1-4, I don't collect games. They get traded in when I'm done, and I get rid of old consoles when the new gen is here. So, I won't care.

Paasei

Don't care. Never made use of it on the PS3 60GB version I had.

Used it for CTR back on the PS2, but you couldn't save PSX games, so that didn't last very long either.

I also tend to keep my older consoles so I could play older games should I feel like it.

dude

dude
I'd be pretty mad.
I really don't like the idea of the big companies willing to let gaming history die with time (or occasionally re-sell it to us with HD/4K/12K/whatever remakes.) I want to be able to enjoy old games without going through a million loops, and I want to be able to let my kids or my nieces play games I liked without keeping old hardware around that might one day break.

Its astonishing to me the noise people make about playing old games on new consoles. I was genuinely baffled that there were apparently so many gamers so pleased they could now play some 360 games on their XB1. If you're that bothered just have a 360!

Good game don't stop being good once they're old. If I like a game, I like to replay it every couple of years to remember it better and appreciate it more. Consoles, on the other hand, get worse as they get older, and once a new iteration is out, support is dropped pretty fast.

daveo42

Banned
I wouldn't be mad, just disappointed, especially if the new systems use the same basic architecture as current gen.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I'd be somewhat surprised, and once again there would be a situation where digital purchases remained locked to a single generation of hardware.

Can't say I'd be mad, as I plan on sticking with PC from here on out.

AmyS

If PS5/NextXbox have APU processors consisting of x86 Zen CPU cores and whatever AMD GPU with HBM2 and DDR4 main memory wouldn't they easily be backward compatible with PS4/XB1's x86 Jaguar+GCN ?

I really don't care either way.

What's more annoying is people whining for the function but 1. barely use it 2. act as if their current consoles suddenly disappeared or stopped functioning. I don't care for BC since consoles entered the HD era. My PS3 is still hooked along the PS4, if not it barely takes 30 seconds to set it up. I've played everything I needed on PS3 (bar some odd games) and the late gen games have been getting better performing PS4 ports.

Next gen it's unlikely they'll switch architectures from x86 so BC will likely be there.

Trago

As digital distribution is gaining more and more traction, you'd think people would want to have their catalog of games readily playable on new hardware.

Think about the catalog people.

ViolentP

Mad is not an emotion I carry with me in gaming. Fact is, things can always be better, but if I feel that something simply isn't good enough, I simply won't indulge in it.

Very annoyed.

But ith the 360 -> Xbone precedent, and the trend for Ms to go to a device agnostic platform I think it's safe to assume it won't be a problem anymore.

deadlast

I have a lot of Digital content. If the PS5 doesn't play PS4 games, then I will build an arcade machine with my PS4 and join the PC/Nintendo Club.

Scrawnton

Pretty upset considering they made the new consoles to function like pcs and it should be relatively easy to make a PS5 play PS4 games.

Buggy Loop

I already refused to buy the PS3 when my awesome PS2 library would not be compatible (outside of early units i know), and when all my 360 digital games would become useless if i moved to Xbox One, i said fuck it -> PC it is. PC + Wii U. Still playing some Wii games on it, thats a really good thing. I dont want to keep a dozen consoles just because companies are greedy to make you buy remasters. So in my case, PS -> PS2 -x-> PS3 -x-> PS4. The combo chain is broken.

lyrick

I probably wouldn't buy either.

We're roughly two years after the launches of the PS4 and Xbox One and the "Killer App" releases for these platforms has been .. well shit, possibly the weakest lineup since I started gaming 30ish years ago.

for the past couple gens early lackluster release schedules could be obscured by having BC with libraries a Consumer may have missed or enabling the top tier games from the previous Gen platform, which probably what the halfassed "Remaster" campaign is attempting to do?

Since game development isn't going to speed up during the next cycle, if those platforms are missing Backwards Compatibility, they may as well not launch for an extra year or two until the games are ready.

Valonquar

Not mad at all. I hard touch my PS3 already, and Sony/MS have already caught on to the whole re-release of games on new consoles as a gap filler in their slow trickle of new game releases. I'll be more annoyed if the PS5 doesn't support the PS4 controllers honestly. Fucking $60+ per when you have 4 player local games ain't cheap.

phanphare

Banned
I think "annoyed" would be a better word. I'd be pretty annoyed and likely wouldn't buy one. I think it's pretty nuts that in this day and age a console maker would create a walled off ecosystem but lock your content to just one generation of hardware. as ironic as it is, considering their questionable handling of account systems and digital content, Nintendo seems to be the only one of the big three to understand the importance of this.

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
As digital distribution is gaining more and more traction, you'd think people would want to have their catalog of games readily playable on new hardware.

Think about the catalog people.

Consumers are being conditioned to accept that games are disposable entertainment.

We have digital sales rising, and at the same time a carefree attitude as to whether their purchases live on with new hardware.

Annoyed since them moving to more PC-esque architecture was the whole reason I accepted not being able to play PS3 stuff on PS4. But it wouldn't matter to me too much since I always keep old consoles.

Carl

I wouldn't care. My ps3 is backwards compatible and i used it maybe 3 or 4 times in the 8 years I've had it

IvanJ

Banned
I wouldn't care at all. If I wanted to play old games, I wouldn't have sold my X360 and bought a PS4. When the next gen comes along, I'll do the same. BC has no value to me.

Kssio_Aug

I probably wont be mad. Just like previous gen I will keep my consoles until there's nothing relevant I still want to play.

Hopefully they add BC though. Cause would make much easier to jump to the next gen and to sell the current gen console to help getting new games and all.

Also BC adds the possibility to newcomers know some franchises!

oni-link

I wonder if there is a correlation between those who don't care about BC and those who absolutety hated cross gen games

I never get rid of old systems so I wouldn't be that annoyed.

However as others have said, architecture wise it doesn't look like it should be as much of an issue so I would hope they are.

IvanJ

Banned
Consumers are being conditioned to accept that games are disposable entertainment.

We have digital sales rising, and at the same time a carefree attitude as to whether their purchases live on with new hardware.

I don't consider myself being "conditioned", I have always considered all types of entertainment (gaming as well) to be of disposable character. To me it's just meaningless and wasteful to collect movies or games, or even music, when it's much more convenient to use and discard it.
I see no value in keeping a game that I've finished on the shelf fir years. It's better to sell it and fund my next purchase, and if I do decide to play that game in 3-5 years, I can always find it cheaply on ebay or in a bargain bin.

Kind of annoyed, but the amount of exclusives this gen for both consoles will be the smallest yet, so I don't feel like I will miss out on so many games like I did the last gen. Still picking up games for my PS3 that I never had the money for. Also I don't sell my hardware, so there is that.

When you consider how many of us are buying our games digitally it would be pretty annoying to not be able to play the games in my library once a new box comes out.

Those remaster dollar signs might mean that wont be a thing though :(

SmokedMeat

Gamer™
I don't consider myself being "conditioned", I have always considered all types of entertainment (gaming as well) to be of disposable character. To me it's just meaningless and wasteful to collect movies or games, or even music, when it's much more convenient to use and discard it.
I see no value in keeping a game that I've finished on the shelf fir years. It's better to sell it and fund my next purchase, and if I do decide to play that game in 3-5 years, I can always find it cheaply on ebay or in a bargain bin.

I'm talking about digital purchases. As you know there's no selling digital games.

kingwingin

Would be nice if they were BC so one less system under the tv. I would be surprised if MS didn't support BC considering they are hyping it up now

oni-link

I keep all my consoles (because I'm not a weirdo) so it wouldn't matter to me at all.

Unless your console dies, consoles are not built like the NES any more, if you think your PS3/4 or 360/XB1 is going to work in 10 years time, you might end up disappointed

I don't need BC, but I'd be thrilled if we get it. It's one less box under the TV, one less set of wires, a few less controllers lying around, less things to dust

One of the best things about PC is you can buy a decent PC then have access to games from the last 30 years. Why wouldn't you want a PS5 that has a PSN stocked full of PS1/2/3/4 games?

A PS5 that has all your old games from past systems ready to re-download (if you went digital) or that are just a disc away from you enjoying again?

Like others have said it's a good way to lock someone into the ecosystem. If the architecture is similar and it's not a huge pain to make them BC, then it seems like it would be the smart thing to do. When most people have phones and PC's capable of playing games, and the games they brought on their old PC's and phones, why would you buy a console with only 10 or 12 rushed out the door launch titles?

Nintendo will be an interesting case, as if the NX doesn't have a second screen it will make BC for Wii U games a challenge

Caayn

With ARM getting more and more popular and also more powerful, I wouldn't be certain if next-gen consoles will be x86 based.
x86 is still in a whole different league when it comes to power, a few years isn't going to change that.

MiTYH

I'd be a bit miffed. Nintendo's doing it right, keep one generations BC alive (mobile and console). It works great and doesnt punish me for upgrading too soon since I game on a budget.

I still don't have a new console (WiiU excluded), but will probably cave for a PS4 if there's a Fallout bundle this christmas. That being said, if there had been BC on it (since I had an xbox 360) I most definitely would already be in possession of a PS4 and spending money on them

Top Bottom