• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eidos Montreal (Deus Ex) was working on a Final Fantasy XII game called Valiant Saga

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
IIRC this was turned into the new IP that Siliconera posted about a few years ago and then eventually canceled.

GameSpot said:
In the years since the closure, concept art has surfaced in the online portfolios of many former Grin designers. Composer Erik Thunberg released a track for Fortress, called "Crystal Theme," on his SoundCloud page. A tech demo for Fortress surfaced along with a curious image containing a summary for a game called Valiant Saga and referencing Final Fantasy XII directly, as well as several locations from the world of Ivalice. The logos for Square Enix and Eidos Montreal were stamped on the image, suggesting that Eidos was developing its own Final Fantasy XII spin-off.

According to the summary, Valiant Saga would take place 10 years after the events of Final Fantasy XII and center around the Fortress of Faram, a stronghold in the Ivalice country of Nabradia. The Queen of Dalmasca--Ashe--hires a "lone mercenary" to vacate the Fortress's resident, an evil cult leader who wants to use the structure's ancient magics to destroy Ivalice.
Source: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/the-story-behind-fortress-the-final-fantasy-game-t/1100-6431036/

2945063-fortress3avalqvuc3.jpg

dramatis

According to the summary, Valiant Saga would take place 10 years after the events of Final Fantasy XII and center around the Fortress of Faram, a stronghold in the Ivalice country of Nabradia. The Queen of Dalmasca--Ashe--hires a "lone mercenary" to vacate the Fortress's resident, an evil cult leader who wants to use the structure's ancient magics to destroy Ivalice.
Sounds incredibly uninteresting, so maybe it's for the best.

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I know people balk at the idea, but I'd be really interested to see a western spin-off Final Fantasy of a mainline game. Even if it's just a one time thing.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Sounds incredibly uninteresting, so maybe it's for the best.

I imagine it would have been an action RPG version of the Lighthouse where it's a gigantic dungeon (and presumably the journey leading up to the dungeon as well).

I could easily be very wrong.

So basically it was another attempt at that game that GRIN was working on.

That Vagrant Story-ish logo and the fact that it was in Lea Monde, though... if Matsuno were involved I would have been all over it.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Producer Yoshinori Kitase added that having a Western studio develop a Final Fantasy game was also very much off the table, saying, "Quite honestly, we can't really see it happening."

I don't understand this mentality. Every FF game is ALREADY so much different from game to game that having a Western studio take a shot at it would not even show up as a blip on the radar. It wouldn't be a break from conventions by any means because when it comes to FF there barely are any conventions.

Son Of D

I know people balk at the idea, but I'd be really interested to see a western spin-off Final Fantasy of a mainline game. Even if it's just a one time thing.

I'd like to see that myself to be honest. And Ivalice does seem like a good world to try that with.

Sounds like it could have been interesting. Love the FFXII universe and feel it didn't get fleshed out as much as it could have.

That "Valiant Saga" image/summary looks fake as all hell. It sounds too specific and is completely unsourced, unlike all the Fortress assets that were found in people portfolios. I would not be surprised if it's something that a fan made up to piggyback on the Fortress hype.

WolvenOne

Darn, Ivalice is one of the better settings from the Final Fantasy games, and it would've been a good fit for a competent western studio. Oh well, best to look to the future I suppose.

That's not FFXIII's fault people. If anything, that was FFXIV's reboot that cancelled it.

I do want to see Eidos making more games though. Something closer to JRPGs could be cool... Although it probably wouldn't feel "japanese" at all considering they were using the most western setting in a FF lol.

TheTux

I don't understand this mentality. Every FF game is ALREADY so much different from game to game that having a Western studio take a shot at it would not even show up as a blip on the radar. It wouldn't be a break from conventions by any means because when it comes to FF there barely are any conventions.

He didn't say he wouldn't like seeing a western FF. If I'm not mistaken I remember that he said he was open to discussion if any western developer would come to them.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
I guess I'd have to play Human Revolution first but I'm always automatically suspicious of western takes on Japanese franchises. Though from what little info we have in this thread this may just be a total rumor.

If this is true... wonder if this was to be a retail or downloadable, too? And how big the scope would have been. And of course, the genre.

inky

The last
more like only
good FF
not called Tactics
. Would've liked seeing that.

I hope FFXII HD comes to PC as well =D

Koozek

Lol, two years ago they said this, though:

Eidos-developed Final Fantasy possible, says Lighting Returns director:

"Obviously, Square Enix bought out Eidos a number of years ago, and now we have direct access to American development teams," Abe said. "That's certainly been discussed within the company, the possibility of say, Eidos or maybe someone else to look after or maybe take on the Final Fantasy series."

"And we obviously haven't decided anything concrete, but if we find the right team of developers, the right people who really wanted to do it, and we had the right game, then yes, certainly we'd think about it," he continued.

Lightning Returns director Motomu Toriyama agreed.

"The whole thing about the Final Fantasy series is that for every iteration, for every game we do, we have a very different game," Toriyama said. "So the development team is also different every time, so that there's different ideas and different concepts driving it."

"So obviously within that framework, having a very different type of team could work," he added. "So if we got the right team of people, it could produce something very interesting in the end."

And since 2012 they worked with Crystal Dynamic artists and designers on the Agni's Philosophy tech-demo which is still shown around at developer conferences.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom