• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Minecraft: Story Mode Episode 1 - Review Thread

Quentyn

IGN - 7.3

The drama might not be as heightened as something like The Walking Dead, but I still found myself surprisingly invested in the choices I had to make about my companions, undeveloped as they may be, and smiling at the Minecrafty in-jokes.

Gamespot - 7

It's a pleasant start, packed with individual events but featuring little in the way of narrative propulsion. When I reached the end of this episode, I wanted more. I'm hoping that, like most outstanding Minecraft creations, Minecraft: Story Mode just needs a little more time to build.

Destructoid - 5

So far, Minecraft: Story Mode is like a Saturday morning cartoon. Sure, there is conflict, but it doesn't feel dire. Sure, there are funny bits, but the comedy isn't sharp or intelligent. Sure, there is a story, but it doesn't feel like it matters yet.

Game Informer - 8.25

Minecraft fans should enjoy the references to the game, while Telltale fans will enjoy the traditional storytelling elements they’ve come to expect from the studio. The Order of the Stone grabs your attention at a number of points and sets you down the path of actually caring about what’s going on in a story set in the player-driven Minecraft universe.

GameWatcher - 8

It’s nothing particularly new, as Telltale games go, but I think that playing with a more family-friendly property has been good for the studio. Those trademark life or death choices were getting a little contrived, so it’s nice to just hang around with a likeable group of characters and go off on a fun, mostly light-hearted adventure. With the occasional eldritch abomination thrown in.

Digital Spy - 4/5

Minecraft: Story Mode is off to a good start, and despite a story-less canvas and only in-game references to draw from, developer Telltale has crafted something promising.

Metro Gamecentral - 7

An extremely slow start to Minecraft’s first story adventure, but it’s a game made with a clear love for the original and is bound to please most younger fans.

Polygon - 8

Minecraft: Story Mode doesn't deviate from the well-established Telltale formula much, keeping both what works (the storytelling) and what often doesn't work (combat). Even so, it accomplishes something impressive. I was skeptical of Telltale's ability to tell a story in the Minecraft universe that would be interesting to people who weren't already fans of the game, but so far, the studio is pulling it off with aplomb.

Videogamer - 8

Perhaps the reason why the marriage of Minecraft and story works so well is that Telltale has kept things simple. It’s the most basic of hero’s journey plots.

Game Revolution - 4/5

Episode One is a fun two hours with plenty of shout-outs to fans of the series while also a solid balance of gameplay and characters for those who’ve never combined flint, sticks, and a feather to create an arrow. As a "player choice via conversation" game, though, the plot so far is fairly standard.

Forbes - 8

A great start to a new series. Although the child-like visuals will put some Telltale fans off this is to miss the huge investment and achievement so far. If the series continues in this vein it’s set to be warmly welcomed by both Minecraft fans and families.

Crono27

ill wait... for it to be like 7.50 when all episodes are out... hopefully this gets good and not turn into game of throne series and become boring.

frontovik

Banned
TellTale should've worked on TWAU 2 instead of Minecraft...

I usually purchase the Season Pass for previous TellTale games, but now I'm going to wait until this is on sale.

Card Boy

Banned
ill wait... for it to be like 7.50 when all episodes are out... hopefully this gets good and not turn into game of throne series and become boring.

This is my rule with all Telltale games, 75% off or fuck off
(shit that rhymed!)
. The little kiddies will buy it and be disappointed and cry once they realize it plays nothing like Minecraft.

Crono27

This is my rule with all Telltale games, 75% off or fuck off
(shit that rhymed!)
. The little kiddies will buy it and be disappointed and cry once they realize it plays nothing like Minecraft.

how i am except walking dead season 2 had to get it right away. And same if they do another wolf among us. Other series i'm def waiting

Given the lack of story/universe to draw from I think this was likely to be reviewed as it has been, it needs to carve that story out and shape it, difficult to do with just one episode so far, I think it will grow into it well.

And it will sell well regardless

Card Boy

Banned
Yeah, I'm looking forward to seeing Game of Thrones on a flash sale shortly after episode six is released.

Humble Bundle had deal where you can get

Games of Thrones
Tales of the Borderlands
Poker Night 1
Poker Night 2
Puzzle Agent

All for $10.50 last month.

Hektor

After playing through the first 4 episodes of TftB i was looking forward to this, because telltale showed that they still can make funny adventures like back in the day.

But even the most positive reviews here a pretty damn measured. Guess ill pick it up on a sale.

75% off or fuck off
(shit that rhymed!)

tumblr_mf5z15BS8h1qdmmo5o3_400.png

kurahador

That's pretty much of what I expected. It's hard to do original story and characters well while at the same time trying to adjust and appeal to kids demographic.

Seems like ToTB will remains as their best work.

LewieP

I wonder whether the Destructoid review author is really sure that they are sure about having surely reached a sure conclusion.

I dismissed Tales from The Borderlands too easily so I will give this one a try even if the concept sounds kinda dumb to me and I don't really like Minecraft.

Hektor

I dismissed Tales from The Borderlands too easily so I will give this one a try even if the concept sounds kinda dumb to me and I don't really like Minecraft.

Why dont you try TftB then instead? Its already finished (Ep. releases in 7 days), cheaper and apperently a better game going by MC's reviews.

I've played every Telltale game since TWD, so I've been looking forward to this one. Even though I don't play or care much about Minecraft.

I'll likely end up picking it up someday; maybe even this week. I wish the reviews were better, but they're not bad outside of one. Thankfully it's only $25.

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
TellTale should've worked on TWAU 2 instead of Minecraft...

I usually purchase the Season Pass for previous TellTale games, but now I'm going to wait until this is on sale.

75 million people play Minecraft, less than one million bought TWAU. I think Telltale will be fine and no matter the ratings this will be their most sold release ever.

GametimeUK

With The Walking Dead I associated Telltale as a developer that made quality story games (technical issues aside). Now after not polishing and refining technical issues and seemingly just taking on board any project that is thrown at them the magic has worn off on me. Yeah, this is just another Telltale game. I love Minecraft too, but the fact this was tied to Telltale from the start just put me off the game completely.

It scored as expected, I suppose.

Seems like their releases are started to see a drain in quality according to these reviews. Game of Thrones was rubbish of what I tried and Tales of Boarderlands despite its charms it still nothing outstanding or too memorable. Starting to believe that the magic they made on The Walking Dead season 1 wont ever come back any time soon.

Why dont you try TftB then instead? Its already finished (Ep. releases in 7 days), cheaper and apperently a better game going by MC's reviews.

I have, it's my point. I dismissed Tales From the Borderlands and only tries a while after the second episode released. I learnt my lesson because it's fantastic.

I heard Catherine Taber is doing VA in this. I didn't really have any interest in this before, but may pick it up on the cheap as I totally adore her.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
I don't know how to think about this. They've mostly previously done story based IPs and minecraft is so much more about the experience of playing and exploring. I'll definitely wait for more episodes to see how things progress.

It was nice but the voice acting was, imo, really bad in this.

And I missed the lever trophy so when I rewinded to get it I lost all my progress from the future chapters? I'm so confused on how I was meant to go back and get it without making a new save and redoing chapter 1.

Just give us TWAU 2 please.

You know who doesn't care about TWAU? Kids who care about Minecraft... also pretty much everybody else.

So on that note, what is the verdict for kids? The IGN review states "family friendly" but is there a feel for the age range that would enjoy it?

Maximus P

You know who doesn't care about TWAU? Kids who care about Minecraft... also pretty much everybody else.

So on that note, what is the verdict for kids? The IGN review states "family friendly" but is there a feel for the age range that would enjoy it?

Yeah, I want to get this for my 11 year old boy and my 7 year old daughter, so I wouldn't mind hearing the views of some parents before I look to getting this for them.

jtkauff

Seems like about what I was expecting review-wise. I'm a big fan of Telltale, and my son loves Minecraft and is already telling me about how he wants to spend his allowance on Story Mode. Too bad the disc-based version ships two weeks after the downloadable, not sure what the reasoning behind that is.

Noobcraft

$24 for the season pass at Best Buy with GCU. I've never gotten a Telltale game before, how long does it usually take them to release new episodes?

$24 for the season pass at Best Buy with GCU. I've never gotten a Telltale game before, how long does it usually take them to release new episodes?

It's taken 11 months for Tales from the Borderlands to fully release, and currently Game of Thrones has been running for over 10 months.

Top Bottom