• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New Splatoon map, Museum D'alfonsio leaked

hupla

So splatnet allows us to see map rotations ahead of times at it seems nintendo added one of the new maps before officially announcing it!
aC1AmgD.jpg
Thanks to @nwplayer123 on twitter for the heads up

First rotation is 11/13 at 3:00 a.m. (CET) ~ 11/13 at 7:00 a.m. (CET)

So just over 8 hours from now.

How is this a leak if was Nintendo who shared the info?
Looks nice :)
I don't think they intended for the automatic map rotations to reveal the stage (which AFIK doesn't actually exist in the game data yet).

There is definitely something happening with Splatoon what with the very strangely timed weapon update yesterday and hopefully it is more than this.

Quick, what Nintendo Direct "leaks" mentioned a new splatoon map.
Some of the mentioned Splatoon itself. Is that close enough?
of course not

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
Is this gonna be like some of the other more recent maps (Camp Triggerfish, Flounder Heights, Hammerhead Bridge) where I may never get a chance to play it? I didn't dislike the map rotation too much when there were only a handful of Maps, but now that there are like 10+, it's kind of a bummer when I log-in to the game and it's the same maps I've played on again and again. At this point, I think the map rotation system needs a little bit of a shake-up and I hope that gets announced along with this new level.

EDIT: Posted all that and then realized that Splatnet is a thing of which I was ignorant. Maybe that'll help me play on some of these levels I have yet to experience.

Is this gonna be like some of the other more recent maps (Camp Triggerfish, Flounder Heights, Hammerhead Bridge) where I may never get a chance to play it? I didn't dislike the map rotation too much when there were only a handful of Maps, but now that there are like 10+, it's kind of a bummer when I log-in to the game and it's the same maps I've played on again and again. At this point, I think the map rotation system needs a little bit of a shake-up and I hope that gets announced along with this new level.

EDIT: Posted all that and then realized that Splatnet is a thing of which I was ignorant. Maybe that'll help me play on some of these levels I have yet to experience.
I actually prefer this website more for checking the schedule:

http://splatooniverse.com/

I don't think you need to log in to MiiVerse to make the schedule show up and it's right at the front page so you don't have to click the Stages schedule. It seems to break on new levels though :p

I'm fine with how Splatoon does rotations currently, but I would not mind having 3 hour rotations.

My only concern with 3 map rotations would be the fact that certain weapons that are more niche would get indirectly nerfed as a result, because they may have 1 or 2 good maps in a rotation with the rest being bad maps, and become used less often as a result. For example, IMO, Splash-o-Matic would probably become an inconsistently useful loadout on a rotation with Walleye Warehouse (good), Blackbelly Skatepark (good) and Moray Towers (BAD).

L95

Quick, what Nintendo Direct "leaks" mentioned a new splatoon map.

There's bits of data in splatoon already suggesting new maps (currently 3 total) coming eventually, splatoon maps are a fairly safe bet imo

Now, Ocotlings pls

JCX

Was fine with rotation before, but I wish they would move to a MK8 voting system. Still random, but at least gives us a choice.

Worst part about 2 maps is that they should alternate between A and B, but instead you play map A for 10 matches in a row.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
I actually prefer this website more for checking the schedule:

http://splatooniverse.com/

I don't think you need to log in to MiiVerse to make the schedule show up and it's right at the front page so you don't have to click the Stages schedule. It seems to break on new levels though :p

I'm fine with how Splatoon does rotations currently, but I would not mind having 3 hour rotations.

My only concern with 3 map rotations would be the fact that certain weapons that are more niche would get indirectly nerfed as a result, because they may have 1 or 2 good maps in a rotation with the rest being bad maps, and become used less often as a result. For example, IMO, Splash-o-Matic would probably become an inconsistently useful loadout on a rotation with Walleye Warehouse (good), Blackbelly Skatepark (good) and Moray Towers (BAD).

Yeah, I hear you on 3-map rotations not necessarily being ideal. Honestly, I'd rather that they just split Ranked into its three constituent modes and gave each of those a 2-map rotation. I just fucking suck at Rainmaker, so at this point, I tend to turn off the game if it's the mode in rotation causing me to miss out on 4 hours of playtime. I never used to understand other people's complaints about the rotation system, but ever since Rainmaker was introduced to the game, I have played less as a result.

ffdgh

Was fine with rotation before, but I wish they would move to a MK8 voting system. Still random, but at least gives us a choice.

Worst part about 2 maps is that they should alternate between A and B, but instead you play map A for 10 matches in a row.
3 map rotation when?
If A was Kelp dome and B was towers, I'd gladly take A over and over. :p

Yeah, I hear you on 3-map rotations not necessarily being ideal. Honestly, I'd rather that they just split Ranked into its three constituent modes and gave each of those a 2-map rotation. I just fucking suck at Rainmaker, so at this point, I tend to turn off the game if it's the mode in rotation causing me to miss out on 4 hours of playtime. I never used to understand other people's complaints about the rotation system, but ever since Rainmaker was introduced to the game, I have played less as a result.

The reverse is true for me. Love rainmaker but avoid the other 2 at all costs since it never goes well in S...

Pretty burnt out on the game, but cool to see further support. No regional matchmaking prevents me from having fun at this point. Those Japanese connections aren't worth it.

Also forced rotation is just nonsense.

xzeldax3

I thought it said delfino museum and got excited over Mario Sunshine crossover.

I need to get my eyes checked
Holy shit that would be genius. A multiplayer mode where the map is already covered in paint and whatever team cleans the most wins!

JCX

3 map rotation when?

The reverse is true for me. Love rainmaker but avoid the other 2 at all costs since it never goes well in S...

Yes we all have our favorites ( Flounder and Walleye > Everything), that's why I'd prefer a MK8 voting system. Even though it doesn't always work best (some people don't pick Mount Wario when it's an option which should be grounds for being institutionalized), but it is best at spreading things around.

Also I'd be 100% fine if the update got rid of Tower Control. I'd love some new ranked modes.

madp

The Light of El Cantare
3 map rotation when?

I already have my plan down: wait until the e-liter in the lobby casts their vote, then always vote against their choice.

There should be four map rotations now instead of still 2.

The reason it can't be random is certain maps favor certain weapons over others.

I get that but at this point they could easily find three of 13 maps that favor similar weapons if not four.

I hope it's not as confusing as Hammerhead Bridge... That stage was made for the Nozzlenose...
Oh man yeah I still feel really inexperienced with Hammerhead at this point :X Catwalk combat on Hammerhead is so much more dangerous and weird compared to catwalk combat on Kelp Dome. I don't have a good strategy on the ground floor in mid map either, so I end up fighting at the extreme sides of the maps and hiding by the metal walls.

Splatoon was never my thing but I'm happy to see it still supported, guessing we'll be getting a future sequel on the NX without much trouble. Also surprised it's still just 2 maps at a time, seems like there are a ton more than at launch.

What's interesting is that the actual content created after release is pretty small.

So far it's just been new outfits, new weapons and this will only be the third new map.

They've been great about releasing balance changes, to weapons, abilities and stages though.

It's just they really haven't give out as many maps as they seemed to.

JCX

There should be four map rotations now instead of still 2.

The reason it can't be random is certain maps favor certain weapons over others.

I get that but at this point they could easily find three of 13 maps that favor similar weapons if not four.

I don't get how this is an issue. There are courses in mario kart and stages in smash that favor certain karts/characters. Why do the weapons need to fit perfectly for the stage? I'm not great at Splatoon (A rank still), but I change my loadouts based on mode, not on map.

phanphare

Banned
What's interesting is that the actual content created after release is pretty small.

So far it's just been new outfits, new weapons and this will only be the third new map.

They've been great about releasing balance changes, to weapons, abilities and stages though.

It's just they really haven't give out as many maps as they seemed to.

3rd new map? this is the 8th new map ;p

For the first day of a map the new map is guaranteed to show up. So if you can play tomorrow...

Except flounder heights that seemed to present constantly for 2 weeks.

Pretty burnt out on the game, but cool to see further support. No regional matchmaking prevents me from having fun at this point. Those Japanese connections aren't worth it.
What do you think of the splatfests which are exclusively regional matchmaking?

Top Bottom