• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Shannara Chronicles |OT| MTV - High Fantasy (ft. Crixus & DJ Douche) - Tue 10/9c

Skux

Episodes 1 & 2 are available FREE on YouTube! (looks like they're region restricted now)

Episodes 3 & 4 are available at MTV.com or the MTV app (requires a TV provider login)

LghfG5o.png

Premiere: 10/9c, Tuesday 5 January 2016 (double episode premiere)
Length: 10 episodes, each 42 minutes long
Network: MTV
Studios: Sonar Entertainment, MTV
Executive Producers: Alfred Gough, Miles Millar, Jon Favreau, Jonathan Liebesman, Terry Brooks, Dan Farah, Gene Stein
Based on: The Elfstones of Shannara, part of the Shannara book series by Terry Brooks
Genres: High fantasy, post-apocalyptic, action adventure
Filming location: New Zealand
Opening theme song: "Until We Go Down" by Ruelle

In the Elven capital of Arbolon, the Ellcrys tree is withering. Created ages ago by Elven magic, the Ellcrys imprisons evil Demons within its branches, one for each leaf, trapping
them beyond the physical realm. But now the tree is dying, and each leaf that falls releases another horror into the world. Now, a small band of adventurers must embark on a
quest to save the Ellcrys before the Four Lands are overrun by Demons...

9PDqkdE.png

Manu Bennett as Allanon, a Druid who has lived for centuries. His leadership, wisdom, and elemental power will be crucial in the quest to save the Four Lands.

Poppy Drayton as Amberle, the granddaughter of King Eventine and princess of Arbolon. Inexperienced but determined, she is one of the last Chosen who can save the Ellcrys.

Ivana Baquero as Eretria, a rogue, huntress and member of the hostile and nomadic Rover clan. She will cross paths with our adventurers more than once.

Austin Butler as Wil, a half-Elf and Healer with a connection to the Elfstones, powerful artifacts that can be used to fight Demons.

John Rhys-Davies as King Eventine, the ruler of Arbolon and grandfather of Amberle, and his sons Ander (Aaron Jakubenko) and Arion (Daniel MacPherson).

iUDssyF.png

"One of the first great new shows of 2016 and one of the best new shows of the 2015/2016 television season."
- Forbes

"Offers an alternative to Game of Thrones’ dim and grim fantasy, focusing on optimism and mythology more than devastating emotional stories and dire situation after dire situation."
- Collider

"Fantasy fans hankering for a breezy (if low-budget) epic are likely to find things to enjoy in this energetic saga."
- Variety

"An excellent addition to a season of television that promises to be practically bloated with fun, watch-worthy fare."
- Polygon

"The world-building is imaginative and impressive, but the mythology is exhausting to keep up with, especially when the reward is basically just a romance-novel version of The Lord of the Rings."
- Entertainment Weekly

"But damn if The Shannara Chronicles isn’t earnest about what it’s doing; it’s going to fantasy the living hell out of itself or die trying."
- AV Clubhttp://www.avclub.com/review/shannara-chronicles-fantasy-drinking-game-you-hope-230245

"When the characters stop talking and start acting, Shannara becomes a simple thrill. But it's a long and winding quest to get there."
- The Verge

"It could become something a lot better than what it delivered in its two-hour series premiere."
- IGN

"Elfstones of Shannara is a pretty straight-faced, even solemn read. Moving pictures require something different; messianic folderol is best served there with a little sex, and a little seltzer. That has been provided."
- LA Times

"What’s clear is that The Shannara Chronicles has yet to remake the familiar into that thing all great fantasies require: something fantastic."
- The Atlantic

"MTV tries - and fails - for a Game of Thrones all their own with this goofy, garish tale of warring elves and demons."
- The Hollywood Reporter

"It’s a bit glossy, [...] and the special effects are sometimes rickety. But it’s diverting enough if you allow yourself to be drawn in and can banish the urge to play the comparison game."
- The New York Times

"First rate production value, interesting characters and an intriguing story make for a world well worth escaping to."
- The Gazette

"I'm not sure what I was expecting, [...] but I have to say, The Shannara Chronicles is quite good."
- The Toronto Sun

"The Shannara Chronicles could be everything MTV wants it to be - a chance to break out of their reputation and be a leader in basic cable."
- SpoilerTV (contains exposition spoilers and character quotes)

"It feels like the same world I read, but it’s modern and clever with the way it brings the pieces together. The show is also one of the best I’ve seen on television in months."
- The Gate

"The characters I fell in love with in Brooks’ novels are so wonderfully alive and exactly as I imagined them, in no small part due to the phenomenal and passionate cast."
- Hypable (book fan review)

"The world is rich and mesmerizing, the characters are instantly compelling, and enough mystery is set up from the beginning that you’ll want to stick around to see your questions answered."
- Hypable (non-book fan review)

"The Shannara Chronicles probably won’t scratch that Game of Thrones itch you have. But if it’s willing to stop trying to be something else and stand apart, it could be a welcome change of pace."
- Uproxx

"Shannara is like watching someone else play a prepackaged Dungeons & Dragons campaign, only not as much fun."
- Las Vegas Weekly

"Shannara aims to follow [Teen Wolf's]suit, and if any grown-ups are put off, well, the show wasn’t talking to them anyway."
- Flavorwire

"The amazingly beautiful visuals, the strong cast and characterization, and the world building in the premiere have me hooked, and I can’t wait for future episodes."
- GeekDad

"Whatever visual beauty this pretender to Game of Thrones' high fantasy throne does possess is undone by wooden performances, formulaic execution and dialogue so howlingly bad it resembles subpar fan fiction."
- We Got This Covered

"It isn’t perfect (which may or may not be largely due to the source material) but if you like good fantasy stories full of creatures and magic, I think you’ll enjoy it."
- Nerd Approved

"An exciting and impressive adaptation of Terry Brooks’ equally impressive novel."
- Cinema Retro

"It may not win any awards, but it signals that the network isn’t just going to keep churning out sexy teens doing scandalous things as their only programming."
- Seat 42F

"My overall thoughts on Shannara are mixed."
- Geeks of Doom

"This is the answer to what I feel is lacking in the entertainment landscape - a real strong fantasy element."
- Beyond the Trailer

ipWGerq.png

linkboy

Elfstones is one of the first fantasy books I read, and one of my favorites.

I hope they don't screw it up.

maxcriden

Overall I think that The Shannara Chronicles could be everything MTV wants it to be - a chance to break out of their reputation and be a leader in basic cable.

Scream already did that for me. Hopefully this will be good too!

production values for this look incredible. like just a notch below game of thrones. i'm definitely there.

awesome that they got gimli in here and it's shot in new zealand.

Skux

I'm really excited for this, so many things about it appeal to me.

- The production value is amazing. We really are at the point where films and TV series no longer have huge budget discrepancies. The gap has closed and producers and writers are realising the storytelling potential of a big-budget TV series over a single film, where adaptations can be more faithful and character arcs get to feel thorough and developed.

- The tone feels just right. It's got the big epic scale but also a lot of youth and energy. From the Comic-Con panel the writers are pushing fast pace and purposeful action, which would be welcome in the fantasy space. I'd love to watch a swords-and-sorcery show with the pace of something like The Flash or The Force Awakens.

- Manu Bennett swagging his way through the screen once again.

- Filmed in my backyard and looks spectacular. As soon as I saw the costumes and sets I knew it was Weta Workshop doing the production design, it's got quality all over it.

- John Rhys-Davies who never seems to get tired of doing sci-fi/fantasy related things, and luckily I never get tired of watching him in them. I've met him in person and his autographed photo still sits on a shelf in my room. You can tell just how passionate he is about his work in his interviews.

- The production team. Favreau brought us Iron Man (and was originally slated to direct Shannara), Gough and Millar did Smallville. Liebesman (the replacement director) gives me some cause for concern, although his poor track record (TMNT, Wrath of the Titans, Battle Los Angeles) seems more due to the crappy scripts he was stuck with, rather than any weakness as a director. So I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.

- Poppy Drayton is just the cutest.

I'm definitely in for this, hope it's good. Never read the books though, how are those?

Haven't read them but from what I gather the only "bad" one is The Sword of Shannara, which is derided as a carbon copy of LotR. It is also the first book in the series and the TV show is starting with Elfstones (the second book), which is more original and has a better gender balance for wider appeal.

The other books seem pretty good, although some of the tropes could be seen as dated by today's standards (bear in mind the series started in 1977).

Kaizer

Banned
Excited to check this out, hopefully it'll be nice show to tide me over until Game of Thrones returns. The production value looks insane for an MTV show, really impressed with how much they're putting into this.

I remember reading The Sword of Shannara like a million years ago thinking it riff LOTR pretty hard but was good fun regardless, never did get the rest in the series though, I am definitely interested

Thanks for making the thread, Skux. I'll give this an episode or two.

Scary that Ivana Baquero (Eretria) is the girl from Pan's Labyrinth. Time flies!

I thought the fact
that the world is a
post apocalyptic Earth was suppose to be a big reveal
?

Well, that poster reveals all.

When do they reveal it in the books? I read the The Sword of Shannara as a kid, but I don't remember any of this. That would have been a neat season finale reveal.

Ledsen

Terry Brooks is an awful writer, but I think this could fit the bill on TV as a cheesy but fun Fantasy show. Will watch!

methane47

for some reason I pictured Allanon as a super old bearded gandalf type person, not a young strapping Spartan warrior.

I would more picture crixus as Walker Boh... rather than allanon.

HereticusAlpha

Neo Member
Well, that poster reveals all.

When do they reveal it in the books? I read the The Sword of Shannara as a kid, but I don't remember any of this. That would have been a neat season finale reveal.

It's somewhat hinted at even in the first - the post apocalyptic bit definitely, such as when they go down into the valley with the ruined city with the creeper in it while in the pass in the Eastlands... I'm not sure he linked them explicitly to our world until the one which linked it to the word and void trilogy.

I was a huge fan of the series as a kid, and Elfstones was always my favourite of the series though, so hopefully they do it well... especially looking forward to how well they handle some of the demons like
the reaper's very terminator like implacableness

Browny

Banned
Well I'd love to watch this, but it appears that MTV UK is as bad as I remember. Back to back Geordie Shore, Teen Mom and Ex On The Beach make up their evening schedule for the near future.

Mupod

man what the hell. I was just thinking about Elfstones of Shannara the other day, I read it back in my first year of high school a million years ago. Had no idea this was a thing.

RPGCrazied

Yeah, can't wait for this. MTV is killing it lately, first Scream, now this. Haven't watched the network at all before these shows.

Effect

I thought the fact
that the world is a
post apocalyptic Earth was suppose to be a big reveal
?

It is. Terry Brooks started another series along side the Shannara series called the
Word & Void
trilogy. It's another fantasy book series but takes place in
Illinois
. It's not until the book
Armageddon's Children
and that trilogy that comes that the connection is made. That series
bridges the W&V series to the Shannara series proper and covers the "Great War" that is hinted at
. It was a surprise at a the time from what I remember. Outside of that there are hints of it as you read the various stories due to how things are described though.

It annoyed me that the show is so front and center with it in the show but not sure how you can hide it visually. Unless you had two entire different set of sets and locations.

I'm still surprised MTV of all places landed this show. I know they're more then music but this really outside of their general interest.

Edit:

Edited to make things clearer. I had to go to wikipedia to make sure of some things. Spoilered some things just in case.

Skux

In the books the setting is subtly hinted at, but that's something you just can't avoid in a TV series.

Plus it gives the team a great chance to showcase the visuals and make it stand out from other fantasy shows. Rolling hills and epic vistas look nice, but we see them all the time. Throw in a beached cargo ship and you've got something striking to give audiences an immediate sense of mystery.

Dragon

Banned
I'm pretty disappointed that this is getting made over something like Wheel of Time. Shannara's characters were never ever interesting nor full of depth. Perhaps that will change with this series. MTV did a good job with Teen Wolf so I guess I'll hold out hope.

Snake

Saw a commercial for this today and the production values looked surprisingly great. I kinda doubt the show is going to be of that sort of quality all-around, but I'll check it out.

Sober

Saw a commercial for this today and the production values looked surprisingly great. I kinda doubt the show is going to be of that sort of quality all-around, but I'll check it out.
Probably being shot in NZ pays for most the scenery on its own.

Also just noticed the subtitle to the thread :lol

Dragon

Banned
Wow...watching that trailer

A. John Rhys-Davies looks like he's about to die, is he coming back from a sickness or something?
B. Not buying Deathstroke as Allanon.

Gaz_RB

Really looking forward to this, but when reading the books I didn't picture Allanon with an undercut.

I also hope they actually put some effort into the massive battles that happen. That was always my favorite parts of the books, so that will make or break the show for me.

I read the original trilogy 20+ years ago because my best friend in junior high was obsessed with them. I think I made it to Elf Queen of Shannara before losing interest... There was something very repetitive about each of the books.

The whole post-apocalyptic thing was something I remember speculating about, due the the ruined city in Sword of Shannara. It would be impossible to hide that on the TV show.

Manu as Allanon kinda surprised me... I remember him being described as very tall, with a black beard... But I pictured him more wizardy, and less Crixusy.

So excited for this, I'm a big fan of the Shannara series. The visual style looks amazing and I'm always happy to see Deathstroke and his swagger. As someone who lives in the Pacific Northwest, where the books take place, I'm wondering what your guys' take on the geography of the Four Lands. The Blue Divide is obviously the Pacific Ocean and I think the Silver River is the Columbia River. So the Trolls live in southern Alberta and northern Washington while the Elves are in southern Washington northern Oregon while the Dwarves and Gnomes are in Idaho, with Man in between the other Races. Am I about right?

Top Bottom