• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Civilization 6 announced, out October 21st

Lister

Banned
I think 2016 might go down in history as a golden age of Strategy titles!!

We've had Deserts of Kharak, Xcom-2, Battlefield Gothic, Offword Trading Company, Ashes of a Singularity, Factorio, Stellaris and we've got Endless Space 2, Heroes VII, Halo Wars 2, MOO 2016, Total War: Warhammer, Hearts of Iron IV, and now Civ VI this year, with Dawn of War 40K III coming out ealry next too. Throw in Planet Coaster (as a sim/management strategy game) and holy cow.

Effect

Is that Sean Bean's voice in the trailer? Since Leonard Nimoy is no longer with us I wonder if he's filling that role now in the game.

dude

dude
Development duties are in the hands of the team behind Civ V’s expansions, Gods & Kings and Brave New World
Alright, now I know this will be an excellent Civ game. Civ V's expansion made the game go from fine to AMAZING.

Who cared about the graphics? It seems readable and clear enough.

Strider

HYPE.

I haven't read through the thread yet but I imagine some folks won't like that art style too much but I loooooove it.

I played a lot less of Civ V than I did IV. Not sure if it's because I morphed into someone that plays a ton of different games as opposed to pouring all my time into a few big ones, or if Civ V was much less compelling than IV. Either way, I'll definitely keep an eye on VI, but not sure I'll buy day one.

I haven't read through the thread yet but I imagine some folks won't like that art style too much but I loooooove it.

You would imagine correctly. Many seem adverse to the new art style. Personally I'm indifferent towards it. This is a Civ game, visuals are near the bottom of my list of things.

Natiko

Banned
Did not see that coming. Sorry video games of 2016, might as well quit trying as Civ will be my most played game for sure.

Lister

Banned
I'm excited, but one thing is true for me though:

After playign games like Endless Legend, and especially Stellaris, they need to bring more to the table than just nicer graphics. We need new mechanics.

Linkark07

Banned
Dunno what to think. Vanilla Civ V was ok but it needed the expansions for be even better, and Beyond Earth was disappointing to say the least.

Will probably wait for some expansions to drop before picking this game.

Mudcrab

We all know how this works by now, right? Civ 6 will release and it will be terribly disappointing at first and then after 2 or so expansions it'll be considered the greatest game in the series just like with 4 and 5.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Guess Beyond Earth's dead and buried. Maybe 2K will finally discount that past $20 for me. >_>

Drazgul

We all know how this works by now, right? Civ 6 will release and it will be terribly disappointing at first and then after 2 or so expansions it'll be considered the greatest game in the series just like with 4 and 5.

Except IV is still the best now.

dude

dude

According to RPS

they told us that almost every system from the complete Civ V will be included in the sequel: trade routes, religious systems, archaeology…there’ll be no need to wait for expansions, it’s all in the base game.

Hype is real for me.

Can't wait.

Also loving the art style, so much better than the abomination of blue and green that beyond earth was.

2014-10-16_00032-100526286-orig.jpg

Also my big problem in civ v is being able to tell what resource is on what tile just by looking at it, hopefully this might make it easier to see.

Nzyme32

WOOOOOOOOO!!

Very excitied! Civ V has been my go to 4X for so many years now. Even though I know Civ games tend to be wobbly at first and greatly improved over time, I am more than happily on board. Features sound good but I want to know so much more!

Sean Bean is also a wonderful choice for the narrator, although I will dearly miss William Morgan Sheppard from Civ V; my favourite narrator thus far.

Razyl

German site gamestar got more infos.

For graphics: It's a brand new engine - no more the old tech from Civ 4 and 5. It's very mod-friendly.

All features from the two Civ 5 Addons are in the release version of Civ 6 (Religion, spy etc.). Cities are expanding in player-chosen districts - there will be 12 different districts (economy, religion, research confirmed). And a wonder needs his own field now.

There will be a Digital Deluxe Version with the 25th Anniversary Soundtrack and a season pass with four DLC-packages. Price: 79,99 Euro.

ActWan

Holy shiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiit. Hype!

Now on a more grounded note - the graphics look really arcadey-Clash of Clans style and I'm not sure I like it...Also it doesn't sounds like they changed much. I'll wait for more info before I go day1 and pour another insane amount of hours from my life to one of these.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
RPS has a preview up, this in particular sounds like a nice change of pace:

RPS said:
Development duties are in the hands of the team behind Civ V’s expansions, Gods & Kings and Brave New World, and when we spoke to designer Ed Beach and associate producer Sarah Darney last week to learn all the details, they told us that almost every system from the complete Civ V will be included in the sequel: trade routes, religious systems, archaeology…there’ll be no need to wait for expansions, it’s all in the base game.

saunderez

I want to be excited about this....but I think I'm a little bit over Civilization. After finally attempting to play the Paradox games that have been in my Steam library forever I think I need a little more depth than a Civilization game is willing to offer. Loved Civ 5 and if this turns out to be awesome I will probably be in again, but right now the excitement isn't there.

STACK UNITS PLEASE COME BAAAAACK

Fuck no, invincible columns of death was the stupidest part of Civ 4. The compromise of combining only certain types of a handful of units seems like a good middle ground though, as placement of units in 5 could be kinda cumbersome if you wanted a balanced army. Super psyched, though it reminds me I need to spend some more time with the 5 expansions before this comes out

Excellent! I might have waited for a good discount before diving in otherwise, but I feel pretty good then about getting it once the usual launch impressions and bugs come out.

Alej

Banned
Not on board. I don't have a PC anymore. That's too bad after playing civs for all those years.
But if a console port happens...

Not very fan of the art style though.

Kandrick

GAF's Ed McMahon
Game is fucking expensive on Steam. Good thing that steam keys should be available for reasonable prices from the usual websites.

munroe

Interesting mix between the stack of death and 1 unit per tile:
COMBINED ARMS:
Expanding on the “one unit per tile” design, support units can now be embedded with other units, like anti-tank support with infantry, or a warrior with settlers. Similar units can also be combined to form powerful “Corps” units.

Sounds interesting, definitely looking forward to this, though as other people have expressed, Civ V was at its best when Brave New World was released and all of the annoying vanilla bugs like workers randomly stopping were ironed out, so hopefully Civ 6 will be released without such issues

German site gamestar got more infos.

For graphics: It's a brand new engine - no more the old tech from Civ 4 and 5. It's very mod-friendly.

All features from the two Civ 5 Addons are in the release version of Civ 6 (Religion, spy etc.). Cities are expanding in player-chosen districts - there will be 12 different districts (economy, religion, research confirmed). And a wonder needs his own field now.

There will be a Digital Deluxe Version with the 25th Anniversary Soundtrack and a season pass with four DLC-packages. Price: 79,99 Euro.

OfYGY.gif

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Not on board. I don't have a PC anymore. That's too bad after playing civs for all those years.
But if a console port happens...

Not very fan of the art style though.

What are you typing this post on? I'm going to assume your microwave? Don't worry, it'll run Civ 6.

komplanen

Okay between this, Deus Ex and Persona 5 I'm hoping other developers just back up and quit because it's going to be impossible to get me away from those two games after Summer.

Granadier

Is currently on Stage 1: Denial regarding the service game future
Hyped as hell. Not really feeling the visual direction though. Looks more like Civ Revolution than an advancement beyond 5.

Top Bottom