• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else getting sick of Nvidia's shit?

Considering that the card will be supply constrained for a while and most stores will jack up prices as a result (just like a lot of major video card launch), I can't really blame Nvidia for wanting a slice of the scalper's pie. It's a scummy move for sure, but it's a very smart one.

Plus, early adoption of any sort of tech is always a terrible value proposition, and Nvidia is just helping to make that even more obvious!

OP are you mad you have to wait? Have you ever tried buying any GPU day 1 in the last 5 years? It's business as usual really.

Luckily, you aren't forced to buy anything.

LilJoka

Poor? HardOCP, Hardware Unboxed and Overclockers Club all went north of 2GHz on stock air.

14636166464UR8bKmzfk_2_2_l.gif

I'm not sure what other sites are doing but 2GHz on stock air while gaming is certainly possible.

I run +400Mhz core on the MSI GAMER 970.
What was the noise in this test? Was the fan on AUTO?

tuxfool

Banned
Poor? HardOCP, Hardware Unboxed and Overclockers Club all went north of 2GHz on stock air.

14636166464UR8bKmzfk_2_2_l.gif

I'm not sure what other sites are doing but 2GHz on stock air while gaming is certainly possible.

As noted in another video, most sites are using test benches. The sites that actually did testing inside computer cases, found extensive throttling.

Gojeran

Nvidia shit? I'm loving my 980Ti and lovely Gsync monitor so no not really. Id like more shit like this from Nvidia if possible. Also nobody is forcing you to buy the FE card. Early adopters pay more always. Is it a shitty practice? Yeah I guess but Nvidia is in the business of making money and every item is worth what its purchaser will pay for it. Waiting God knows how long for a custom card... In my experience god knows how long is usually within a month- oh the horror.

As noted in another video, most sites are using test benches. The sites that actually did testing inside computer cases, found extensive throttling.

Yeah it was an open bench after further inspection. I saw the computerbase.de article and I wish they had the PerfCap reason in there as well. Maybe it is just the stock cooler then because if it's possible on a bench it should be possible with the right conditions inside the case. I've never had a card go Thrm on me even when overclocking (Pwr all the time but never Thrm) but then again I rarely get stock cards.

Considering that the card will be supply constrained for a while and most stores will jack up prices as a result (just like a lot of major video card launch), I can't really blame Nvidia for wanting a slice of the scalper's pie. It's a scummy move for sure, but it's a very smart one.

Plus, early adoption of any sort of tech is always a terrible value proposition, and Nvidia is just helping to make that even more obvious!

This is basically Jen-Hsun saying "what the fuck are you gonna do about it? Buy an AMD card? Vega isn't out until October at the earliest, LOL."

Plus given how people still bought the atrociously valued Titan X after the hilarious Titan/780ti debacle, I fully expect this "Founder's Edition" lunacy to make bank anyway. NVIDIA wouldn't keep doing scummy shit like this if people weren't buying it.

wildfire

Banned
OP are you mad you have to wait? Have you ever tried buying any GPU day 1 in the last 5 years? It's business as usual really.

This isn't business as usual. I think Benny is being silly with his outrage for the reasons he stated but let's not pretend this pricing scheme isn't something new.

ss_lemonade

When I was first watching the unveiling, I thought the founder's edition was going to be some limited edition release with better clocks and other goodies. I didn't follow up until after a few days, when I found out it was just going to be a reference card and would be the only one available at launch. I can see this being misleading for people who do not follow this closely but wants new hardware.

This isn't business as usual. I think Benny is being silly with his outrage for the reasons he stated but let's not pretend this pricing scheme isn't something new.

It really is business as usual. You can buy the shit early if you are vigilant, but if you are minutes late you are stuck paying scalper prices. Nvidia just leapfrogged the scalpers. It's really no different. If you don't see any value in what they are offering for the price, just don't buy the cards. Early adopters always pay a tax in one way or another.

I can't say I'm getting sick of Nvidia's shit, no.

They misled us about the 4GB of ram on the 970 cards, but it hasn't affected me at all. Yeah, the extra $100 cost on the Founder's Edition cards for the 1080 line seems a bit out of touch, but there's a market for it and people will pay it, so there you go.

I'll just wait for MSI's eventual Golden Edition. Their 970 Golden Edition card has been treating me very well so far.

Freshmaker

I am Korean.
It really is business as usual. You can buy the shit early if you are vigilant, but if you are minutes late you are stuck paying scalper prices. Nvidia just leapfrogged the scalpers. It's really no different. If you don't see any value in what they are offering for the price, just don't buy the cards. Early adopters always pay a tax in one way or another.
Just means the scalpers will pay $100 more and mark up accordingly.

Kieli

If I were nVIDIA, I'd raise the FE prices even higher. You gamers have seemingly endless wallets and appetites for more POWAH.

Haunted

All I'm hoping for is that this new wave of cards means that the older generation (970/980) will get some price drops in the near future.

Kieli

All I'm hoping for is that this new wave of cards means that the older generation (970/980) will get some price drops in the near future.

Doubt it. :(

Production already stopped and new cards price-differential is too high. They may have well created new categories.

Genio88

Well i knew that wasn't the case, here in Europe it's gonna cost about 800€.
But i don't care, i'm more than fine with my GTX 980, i'll eventually upgrade next year when GTX 1080 and 1070 will cost half, with newer AMD 14nm Polaris and 1080ti

owasog

The 1080, a 980 replacement costs $50 more than the 980 Ti, and some people don't see the problem?!? Remember, the 480 and 580 launched at $499. And those were the top (Ti) cards. Now a reference 1070 almost costs that much. This must stop, I'm not buying anymore.

Top Bottom