• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else getting sick of Nvidia's shit?

finalflame

Gold Member
I wish the Founders Edition was actually worth the extra $100. I don't mind paying it, I just wish the cooler wasn't crap and the card didn't throttle itself at stock configuration.

Nocturno999

I'm more worried about them stop updating older GPUs.
My older Kepler card is aging pretty bad (compared to older Nvidia GPUs I've had) and makes me consider waiting for AMD's proposition.

LilJoka

There's nothing saying that Nvidia can't just drop the price of their own card once the non-reference ones come out.

And even if they're still technically worse cards at the same pricepoint(or higher pricepoint), I'm sure they can catch a few people who don't know better by being billed as the "official" 1080s or whatever,

Sure, but their justification is premium design etc. I don't expect it to drop. But of course they could drop it like you say.

Well, my argument is just that I feel like sometimes people overreact to problems that have easy solution. "They're overcharging for an inferior product!" Ok, then simply don't buy it? Just wait and see when the non-Founders Edition cards are going to launch. Maybe wait and see what AMD is up to if you're convinced that nvidia is getting complacent and greedy.

Not over reacting it just creates an odd situation for partners and promotes absolutely no card to actually be sold at 599, so when we see msrp 599 it's almost lying. Every card is likely going to sell for 699+.

I'm not buying a pascal card, I'm not angry, im just intrigued by this tactic. I still am not convinced they are doing this to capitalise on low stock high demand on release. Generally we see the non reference cards do this but they justify it, the reference card being at a higher price just means non ref cards are likely to be even more expensive.

The YouTube video shows it's an unusual stance hence the confusion as you put it.

snatches

Why would they be $100 less? This is what people aren't grasping. There is no $599 card. No such product was shown, so until a card is actually at retail at that price, I wouldn't assume there is a $599 card. If you were an aib why would you sell your better than reference card, for significantly less than the price of the reference card? They will still sell all their cards at $699+. It wouldn't make sense for the AIBs to sell their cards for $599. The aibs are selling the reference card for $699. They've been posted to best buy, evga, etc.

Ok, you really have to stop this nonsense. The fact that they even announced the price of 599 tells me the most important thing I need to know: That their partners will make a profit at 599.

So...apply economics. All the partners want to increase their share of the market, so downward pressure on price, then pricing under 599.

Your constant imagining of anything different happening in an open and competitive market (even within the nvidia ecosystem) is beyond ridiculous.

Yes I did, what is your point? He is not confused.

He's saying it wouldnt make sense for a non-reference card to suddenly cost less than the terrible $700 offer it is now.

Well, it makes sense if you simply assume that this is the early release tax.I mean, I could be wrong on that and if so I'll gladly eat my crow. I'm just saying that's my read of the situation and why there isn't a satisfying PR angle they can take. Coming out and plainly saying "we're charging more at launch because people will pay more at launch when our supply is low and there's difficulty meeting demand" doesn't make for great PR. But that's what I gather they're doing.

Oxn

Well, it makes sense if you simply assume that this is the early release tax.I mean, I could be wrong on that and if so I'll gladly eat my crow. I'm just saying that's my read of the situation and why there isn't a satisfying PR angle they can take. Coming out and plainly saying "we're charging more at launch because people will pay more at launch when our supply is low and there's difficulty meeting demand" doesn't make for great PR. But that's what I gather they're doing.

You are not wrong.

Which is exactly the point. Deceptive marketing. And its not even an early release. Its just a release.

So imagine, the Ipad Air comes out, and Apple says, hey guys the new Ipad Air is only 499 like all the other ipads before it, but for the first 2 months, we will call it the founders edition (nothing different about it at all), and charge you 599 for it.

Essentially, that is the price of the Ipad Air. 599.

LilJoka

You are not wrong.

Which is exactly the point. Deceptive marketing. And its not even an early release. Its just a release.

So imagine, the Ipad Air comes out, and Apple says, hey guys the new Ipad Air is only 499 like all the other ipads before it, but for the first 2 months, we will call it the founders edition (nothing different about it at all), and charge you 599 for it.

Exactly this.
Nvidia say 599 msrp then sell their own card for more on their own store front.

Honestly, Nvidia should have just run the initial shipment of founder's edition as a second price auction. Takes a lot of money out of the scalper's pockets and charges what the market can bear for the card.

Let's face it. They're doing this because cards just end up on Ebay for the first month (scalpers wanted $1500 for a 980 Ti Hybrid because EVGA made three of them at a time) and they want in on that action.

I got burned on a deal by a moderator of their forums a few years ago (GTX 480 timeframe?). Really had me in a sour mood. It helped motivate me to look at other alternatives (the 480s were hot and power hungry, so it wasn't just a knee jerk reaction, but it made me feel better at the time). I tried various AMD things for a few years- the driver update speed was pretty slow for my tastes with the new stuff. After the cards had been out for a bit things went much better.

That being said- I've learned to be patient with this stuff in general, no matter the manufacturer. I wait for the kinks to be ironed out, wait for the cooler/quieter cards with the pack in games, wait for the hype to die down a little bit. More power to the people that day one, but it's a hassle I don't have the patience for these days.

GTX 1080s look like nice cards. It's odd to me to have so many friends with 980ti's talking about purchasing one, though.

Probably veered far off topic, apologies.

Oxn

Before the official reveal, I had a price point in my head (550), and if they met it, I wouldve bought.

Then they said 600, and I said, I'll give in, whats another 50.

Then in a span of minutes, it became 700. Im like wtf...... ok, release the 700 one the same time as the 600 one, OK, there must be something special about the 700 one, like cherry picked parts. but nope its the exact same thing, and only 700 one is released.

I would buy a $600, GTX1080 in May, but I wont buy a $600 GTX1080 in July or August. Why? because as time passes, the tech gets older and older.

It was worth 600 in May (imo), it does not in July or August.

What do you do? We are all suckers for performance and the competition isn't exactly fierce. You want the best of the best you go team green and they know it and will gouge us all until AMD steps up.

The salt in this thread is amusing.

Can't afford the card? Then don't buy it. There's a great many things in this world that are a big deal. Being able to afford the fastest discrete graphics card is not one of them.

Rival

Gold Member
I think it's kind of shitty that they are doing the "founders edition" thing. They know they can get this money from people who can't contain themselves over running their games at a few more fps and will buy it immediately. I'm holding out for a while.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member
So... $599 is OK, but $699 is not OK?

I don't get it

$699 would not be as good of a price. The 980 it is replacing launched at $550.

They get the mindshare boost of a better pricing announcement but also the revenue of a more expensive card, albeit temporarily. Having their cake and eating it too.

x3sphere

Can't afford the card? Then don't buy it. There's a great many things that are a big deal in this world. Being able to afford the fastest discrete graphics card is not one of them.

I think people would be less upset if Nvidia was just more straightforward with the pricing of this card. The whole Founder's Edition stuff was poorly communicated - so many mixed messages being passed around and from watching footage of the event I see why journalists were confused.

snatches

Partner Cards will be under 600 at retail within 30 days of launch unless they short the channel deliberately. 30 days. Max.

hohoXD123

I think people would be less upset if Nvidia was just more straightforward with the pricing of this card. The whole Founder's Edition stuff was poorly communicated - so many mixed messages being passed around and from watching footage of the event I see why journalists were confused.

I mean, would people have preferred it if Nvidia didn't have a standard $599 card at all and instead just sold the Founders Edition?

Oxn

Partner Cards will be under 600 at retail within 30 days of launch unless they short the channel deliberately. 30 days. Max.

Thanks for the reassurance.

I mean, would people have preferred it if Nvidia didn't have a standard $599 card at all and instead just sold the Founders Edition?

ITS THE SAME THING. There is no such thing as a founders card, but in presentation only.

diablos991

Can’t stump the diablos
I don't really think they are appreciably worse than any other major tech company. I mean... if you watch a presentation designed to market a product, you know what you're in for. They still pull bullshit, but not really more than anyone else.

As for the Founder's Edition thing, I really don't think we'll be seeing it again. Based off the complete bumbling answers during this Q&A, it's pretty clear no one at the ground level actually likes or supports this idea. If it sells it sells, but in the future I think we would probably just see more expensive cards rather than this weird division that no one can really explain. Even it does sell it's just muddy, confusing PR that I see Nvidia avoiding in the future, by whatever means they see fit.

That video was painful to watch. There is no good explanation other than them trying to drive the base price up and increase early profit.

It's anticonsimer but Nvidia is now positioned in the market to be anticonsimer as high end gaming graphics are becoming inelastic due to AMD being a steaming pile.

chaosblade

Unconfirmed Member

That seems to be exactly what they are doing at the start.

There shouldn't have been a "Founders Edition" in the first place. It's never been necessary before, what advantages does it offer over prior video card launches? Enthusiasts can give Nvidia more of their money?

Oxn

That seems to be exactly what they are doing at the start.

There shouldn't have been a "Founders Edition" in the first place. It's never been necessary before, what advantages does it offer over prior video card launches? Enthusiasts can give Nvidia more of their money?

They cant even engrave the words "founders edition" or something to make it a little more special. its just the same damn SKU, and just call it founders edition.

Jimrpg

Ok, you really have to stop this nonsense. The fact that they even announced the price of 599 tells me the most important thing I need to know: That their partners will make a profit at 599.

So...apply economics. All the partners want to increase their share of the market, so downward pressure on price, then pricing under 599.

Your constant imagining of anything different happening in an open and competitive market (even within the nvidia ecosystem) is beyond ridiculous.

If everything gets sold out for a few months, AIB partners will price their cards to meet the demand which will set the pricing for the cards.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69

Can't afford the card? Then don't buy it. There's a great many things in this world that are a big deal. Being able to afford the fastest discrete graphics card is not one of them.

First of all, this is a videogame forum. None of this is a big deal, so why are you posting here if only "big deals" are worth discussing?

And again, this isn't about not being able to spend $700. If $600 is doable to you then an extra $100 isn't out of your grasp. It's just kind of shitty what they're doing.

rrs

where's the bloody 1060 or 1065 at, nvidia left the market open at $200-250 for AMD's energy vampire cards (not counting the used 970-980ti that will most certainly hover at said price point or higher)

snatches

If everything gets sold out for a few months, AIB partners will price their cards to meet the demand which will set the pricing for the cards.

The market is only so large, and there other cards launching in the next 90 days. Some in a lot more friendly price bracket to the real mass market...

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Things are worth what people will pay for it. If they price something at $700 bucks and still run out, then they struck a good balance.

Rellik

where's the bloody 1060 or 1065 at, nvidia left the market open at $200-250 for AMD's energy vampire cards (not counting the used 970-980ti that will most certainly hover at said price point or higher)

They always come later.

keenerz

I mean is it terrible what theyre doing, considering the fact that day one these cards will be 200-300 more than retail? Like all things in life if you want to adopt early you gotta pay the premium, if you don't wait a little I trust you it'll still be as good as day 1.

TalonJH

Yeah since the release of windows 10 their drivers have been total shit and I am stuck on an old version atm.

I don't have a problem with founder's card but yeah, I had to roll back drivers recently. I normally wouldn't care but now I believe the old drivers are causing screen tearing in internet browsers.

On-topic: I already planned on waiting.

Oxn

I don't have a problem with founder's card but yeah, I had to roll back drivers recently. I normally wouldn't care but now I believe the old drivers are causing screen tearing in internet browsers.

On-topic: I already planned on waiting.

Im waiting as well, but I just fear what they will do with the 1080Ti now.

Founders Edition 1080Ti, $850.

rrs

The founder edition thing seems to be either Nvidia trying to cover low yields, or wanting all the upgrade sales and telling OEMs to wait. Either way, I could see scalpers still scalp the cards unless Nvidia has bottomless stock ready to go.

They always come later.
if my 6870 hadn't died, I'd been disappointed at these card prices, although not so much the price of old stock and used cards for upgraders. I wonder if Nvidia will beat AMD to the non-enthusiast market, although I think Nvidia's brand is at the tipping point of being able to excuse performance for brand alone.

Yeah, AMD pulling the floor out on the base could get some gears turning

You are not wrong.

Yes, for the first 2 months (in this example), it'd be 599. And I could choose to pay that and get it early or wait. If you're against this, then all you can do is wait and hope most of the rest of the market does as well. If supply can't meet demand even on a Founders Edition card, all it signals is that they're selling these things too cheaply.

JayBabay

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Just wait a couple weeks after launch of founder's edition and I'm sure the news of custom cards will start coming out.

This doesn't really seem like something that would make someone sour on the company to me.

(Just ordered their kickass $200 Android tablet today)

The tablet is incredible for the price. They ironed out any issues that people seemed to be complaining about before regarding wifi and the battery, because it seems to hold the same charge my Nexus 7 did.

Man, reading this thread makes me sad.

Either I'm poor or people these days seem really indifferent to just be able to easily say "it's $100 so what. "

When you are buying at the enthusiast tier, this is pretty much how it is. People who don't dine on the top shelf don't really know.

I mean I can't afford a Porsche either but I don't act like I know what rich Porsche owners think when they have 4 different ones. It's a different world for those people.

Jimrpg

My guess is

(Using Gigabyte for example)

GTX 1080 stock card $599 - supply constrained
GTX 1080 overclocked card $630 - 5% faster factory overclock probably supply constrained
GTX 1080 windforce 3 - $650 - 10% faster and better cooler
GTX 1080 G1 - $675 20% faster and better cooler
GTX 1080 extreme - $750 20% faster and better cooler

I guess they're going to get everybody paying at least $50 more than the RRP.

boltz

I agree that it's not a good way to treat your loyal customers, but damn, if people are throwing money at Nvidia for this card, then it's their right to increase the price to match demand.

I mean we are talking about essentially a luxury item here, not basic necessities for life.

Drazgul

What I hate is how quickly the GPU prices are creeping up, but I guess AMD is as much to blame as Nvidia is for that, since they're the ones who started it with the first 28nm cards on the market - been a steady climb ever since.

jrcbandit

What I also don't like is with this type of pricing the 1080Ti card I'm waiting for (or the comparable AMD card...) will be priced in the $850-950 range. The 1080 isn't enough of an upgrade for me and it is the same price point as the 980Ti at its launch. We are getting major price creep compared to the 900 series. It's like we have gone back to the early pricing days of the 780 line before AMD released the competitive 290 series.

Sky Chief

I think the bigger problem is not that Nvidia is trying to gouge early adopters but that the tech press is not calling them out for it.

I could not believe that HardOCP of all places went up to bat for Nvidia on this.

And most reviewers are saying what a great value the 1080 is using the $599 price point. For example, Linus Tech Tips' review showed frames per dollar based on the $599 price point.

Even reviews that show how poorly the FE cards overclock and how readily they throttle don't then do value comparisons against currently available overclocked non reference 980Ti's to validate if the FE is really any better.

I am just in shock of how the entire tech press is just slurping up Nvidia's message and doing no real investigative analysis.

RevenWolf

Yup. Not falling into that tyre fire again. Fool me four times...uhhhhhh...I won't buy your poorly made products?

Pretty much, my best friend updated his amd drivers, and the pc was one step away from being bricked, took him 12 straight hours to fix with me backing him up on the research front.

And that happend less then a month ago!

They're free to do as they please. They're the market leader, afterall. By a long shot. People have no choice but to obey.

Yeah fuck those greedy money hungry corporations. Except the same people that say that are the ones running to pre order this Founders Editions load of BS. Everyone bend over and pay an extra $100 just cause!!!!

Even reviews that show how poorly the FE cards overclock and how readily they throttle don't then do value comparisons against currently available overclocked non reference 980Ti's to validate if the FE is really any better.

Poor? HardOCP, Hardware Unboxed and Overclockers Club all went north of 2GHz on stock air.

14636166464UR8bKmzfk_2_2_l.gif

I'm not sure what other sites are doing but 2GHz on stock air while gaming is certainly possible.

Top Bottom