• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Anyone else getting sick of Nvidia's shit?

Yes, but announcing a fake msrp isn't really advisable either. Business ethics is kind of an oxymoron, but what Nvidia is doing is definitely not very consumer friendly. If they just announced $699 as the msrp there wouldn't be a problem.

I guess time will tell. I don't really see how it's a fake MSRP if the non-reference cards release reasonably soon.

As long as people are willing to pay, Nvidia will keep on asking for more. Personally I have no interesting paying 800€ for a graphics card with second tier chip in it. The 599$ MSRP is just a red herring here. All I can wish is that P10 and 1070 will be close enough to compete against each other so I could buy a reasonably priced card that actually brings better value than the previous gen.

Barzul

So... $599 is OK, but $699 is not OK?

I don't get it

Well $600 is in line with people's expectations of reason. $699 especially when it's an obvious cash grab for a probable inferior product to what the partners will make is kind of bile inducing.

...what else would that be?

In the world of video cards it could mean a lot of things. You can find the reveal thread and see how a lot of people assumed they would be launching simultaneously and the founders edition would maybe have a binned chip on it or whatever else

I'm getting sick of them playing it safe every year. I was hoping this would be the year they blew our socks off, but no. Maybe next year? Probably not. Is it too much for me to expect them to drop a bomb every so often? I feel old and bitter. I think I need to go home and have a nap. :(

Edit: I'm part of the problem, btw. Bought a pair of 970s when they released, then a pair of 980s, then a Titan X, then a pair of 980ti's. Wife has the TX now and I'm ready to drop the 980ti's, but the new cards aren't doing it. Maybe the Titan X10 or whatever.

LilJoka

In fact, $700 one is going to be worse than $600 ones because they're stuck with Nvidia's stock cooling.

Now there's more reason than ever to not buy the reference edition of GPUs.

Bingo.
Nvidia is messing with consumers calling this the founders edition when it's just a reference card.
They are charging extra with plans to keep the reference card available through nvidia.com rather than allowing the design to die as commonly occurs.
There is a YouTube video which points out that everyone in the room has a WTF moment when nvidia announced this and any consumer agreeing with this practise has missed the point.

If the reference card is 699 then what do partners sell for 599?

The reference design card is the worst design. No factory OC, no binned chips, louder blower type cooling. This is the design that should be at msrp.

It makes no sense.

The reference design card is the worst design. No factory OC, no binned chips, louder blower type cooling. This is the design that should be at msrp.

It makes no sense.

There's more demand at launch and supply is lower. I'm not saying I applaud this, and I have no intention of buying an FE card. But why they're doing it makes perfect sense to me.

LilJoka

There's more demand at launch and supply is lower. I'm not saying I applaud this, and I have no intention of buying an FE card. But why they're doing it makes perfect sense to me.

Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCfn4y8dBw

There's a lot of people baffled by this. Even the initial presenter knows it's a load of crap and neither provide any justification except "founder edition - premium materials" and we all know that's rubbish. They even call it reference card and then make a joke out of it.

The only reason I can see them doing this is to have the card available for sale survive the lifetime of the card itself from the nvidia shop.
Again this makes no sense. They say people want the reference design later in the cards lifecycle but that to me sounds like lies. It does not add up.

Remember they aren't really competing either, reference designs always have shortages and we never saw a price bump.

Watch this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNCfn4y8dBw

There's a lot of people baffled by this. Even the initial presenter knows it's a load of crap and neither provide any justification except "founder edition - premium materials" and we all know that's rubbish. They even call it reference card and then make a joke out of it.

The only reason I can see them doing this is to have the card available for sale survive the lifetime of the card itself from the nvidia shop.
Again this makes no sense. They say people want the reference design later in the cards lifecycle but that to me sounds like lies. It does not add up.

Especially this part:
"it powered through at a smooth 60 FPS, with an overclocked Core clock speed of 2.1GHz, and an overclocked Memory clock speed of 11GHz. And it didn’t break a sweat, either, running at only 67℃ in the hot Texan nightclub that we transformed into a world stage.
The GeForce GTX 1080 running this demo wasn’t liquid-cooled, or souped-up with special hardware - it was the NVIDIA Founders Edition GeForce GTX 1080, which anyone can buy come May 27th."
is really confusing as the only way that would be true based on various throttling reports, is with low enough GPU usage. I know this is typical marketing bullshit so nothing new but I find it quite ugly nonetheless if those reports are true.

AmyS

Jen gets on stage a few weeks ago and unveils the 1080/1070. Lots of flowery language and the usual tech reveal hype man talk. Everyone here and elsewhere is thinking it's gonna be really expensive based on what he's saying.

Then boom!

Nvidia-GTX-1080-8-1.jpg

Everyone rejoices and loses their shit. What a deal. $599 is so reasonable for this top tier card.

Fast forward a couple weeks, and now it's "pssshhh nothin personell kid, but we're only dropping the reference card now and it's gonna be an extra $100". So now everyone who wanted one is either gonna have to shell out that extra $100 or wait who fucking knows how long for the custom cards with factory OCs and the like.

I understand it from a business standpoint. They want to cut off people who were gonna slam f5 on launch day and scalp them I guess. But this seems like a really egregious dick move to me.

Think this is bad? It's just for cards based on GP104, the medium sized Pascal GPU. - Nvidia's just getting warmed up. Just wait until GP100 w/ HBM2 reaches consumers next year.

Q1:
Titan XX
Titan-XX Founders Edition

Q2 ~ Q3:
GTX 1080 Ti
GTX 1080 Ti Founders Edition

LilJoka

Especially this part:

is really confusing as the only way that would be true based on various throttling reports, is with low enough GPU usage. I know this is typical marketing bullshit so nothing new but I find it quite ugly nonetheless if those reports are true.

Considering the TDP and a cherry picked GPU it could be possible. We don't know the rig cooling either. We also don't know if those clocks were being hit in game, or as you say only in low TDP scenarios.

And here's the big one: what if the GPU fan was at 100%?

Why be mad at an obvious bad deal/cash grab? Just don't buy it. I don't understand why you would even consider buying a reference card, let alone one that comes at a premium price. Wait a bit and you can get a superior card from eVGA, BFG, ASUS, MSI, Gigabyte, ect.

jrcbandit

I'm very sick of Nvidia's Crap. Horrible Windows 10 drivers, I even had to fully redo my system because I had no alternative solution after trying everything. Horrible SLI support: game never gets it, gets it two months late, or very poor scaling. Outright lying about the 970s memory and when their lie was revealed they tried to play it off as if they did the consumer a favor. Now we have the founders card bs where they charge $100 extra for a crap cooler that allows little overclocking and no other cards available day 1. If the cards manage to sell well, then that means after market cards could run $750-800 instead of $600. Also, their pricing scheme went up in general even without the founders bs.

paskowitz

Here is something to ponder, if Nvidia's reference design is $700... what well be the cost of 3rd party cards with better components and custom designs? My bet is not on $600. More likely than not the $600 cards will be stock PCBs with POS plastic blower coolers.

If this is the case then the 1080 becomes a significantly less attractive $/fps card (considering 980 Ti on the used marketand, ~$350, 1070, ~$400).

For the last 2 generations the X80 has by far been the WORST investment out of Nvidiaa's lineup. I don't see this changing.

LCGeek

formerly sane
It's hypocritical that the company who plays the price game especially when they know AMD can't compete want to bitch about scalpers doing what they already do themselves.

Can't do much about it, yet I do. Don't buy their hardware or even AMD till you need it.

bomblord1

Banned
OP I strongly dislike Nvidia but I still find this a non-issue.

People knew about the founders editions before hand and the other cards are still releasing.

Considering the TDP and a cherry picked GPU it could be possible. We don't know the rig cooling either. We also don't know if those clocks were being hit in game, or as you say only in low TDP scenarios.

And here's the big one: what if the GPU fan was at 100%?

Yea could be, the only thing we know for sure is the FE is a bad choice unless you have money to throw away.

Zaptruder

Banned
Plenty of companies have observed secondary markets popping up around their products and have moved to capitalize on those secondary markets directly.

Sometimes they're effective, sometimes they're not.

Nvidia are disincentivized if there's a sufficient hit to their PR and reputation from this behaviour.

I personally... can't see people generating enough of a shit storm about this for it to change much in their behaviour. I hope they will though.

hamchan

Well their competition in the market just isn't there. This allows them to pull moves like this and the 970 3.5gb ram thing with no problem at all.

wapplew

Pretty cleaver I say, $699 founder edition make $599 normal card look like a steal. They raise the price again yet no one going to stop them.
Blame AMD and rich enthusiast.

oSoLucky

I'm very surprised at the tone of this thread. I thought there was a ton more anger from gaming circles on the net. I have plenty of time to wait and see(and maybe even wait until the Ti) since I need to upgrade to Broadwell-e and X99 first, but hopefully it doesn't take long for the non-FE cards to start rolling out.

Chiggs

I'm really impressed with their level of innovation. Some might say that the GTX 1080 is just a die shrink partnered with an aggressive overclock and without that OC, the performance wouldn't be nearly as irresponsible as it is! But not me, no, sir!

I don't even buy Nvidia cards and this seems like nothing worth fussing about. You don't have to buy the card when it's that price. You could wait.

LilJoka

What? No

The partners get the design and then manufacturer it themselves.

Even so, they plan to sell an inferior product at a higher price to the same set of consumers they will sell their own enhanced designs for less money? How does that make sense?

Stiler

Man, reading this thread makes me sad.

Either I'm poor or people these days seem really indifferent to just be able to easily say "it's $100 so what. "

Even so, they plan to sell an inferior product at a higher price to the same set of consumers they will sell their own enhanced designs for less money? How does that make sense?

It's an early release tax designed to capitalize on the launch window where supply constraints are an issue. Again, I'm not championing this and I will not buy a Founders Edition card. But I also don't understand what's confusing about this.

paskowitz

Either I'm poor or people these days seem really indifferent to just be able to easily say "it's $100 so what. "

I'm not poor and if I lost $100 is be mad as hell. The real problem if the level of value generated by that $100. What am I getting in exchange? A dopine rush? I'm essentially throwing it away.

Hawk269

I don't see a big issue here OP. It seems you are just upset that you are not getting to buy a $599.99 version on the 5/27. So you have to wait a bit to get the $599.99 version, it is not the end of the world. Nvidia is not forcing you to buy the FE version, so really don't see the issue.

As I said in another thread, this thing is going to sell out 100% on 5/27 and we will have posts after posts here and on other forums about people complaining that they were not able to get a FE card.

So to answer your question, for me it is no issue at all. I primarily do H20 with my GPU's, so I am not going to buy a FE card because that fancy cooler is just going to removed and boxed up anyways for me.

Mechazawa

There's nothing saying that Nvidia can't just drop the price of their own card once the non-reference ones come out.

And even if they're still technically worse cards at the same pricepoint(or higher pricepoint), I'm sure they can catch a few people who don't know better by being billed as the "official" 1080s or whatever,

Oxn

It's an early release tax designed to capitalize on the launch window where supply constraints are an issue. Again, I'm not championing this and I will not buy a Founders Edition card. But I also don't understand what's confusing about this.

Did anyone say it was confusing?

Well, my argument is just that I feel like sometimes people overreact to problems that have easy solution. "They're overcharging for an inferior product!" Ok, then simply don't buy it? Just wait and see when the non-Founders Edition cards are going to launch. Maybe wait and see what AMD is up to if you're convinced that nvidia is getting complacent and greedy.

Top Bottom