• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this a ghost?

Status
Not open for further replies.
13612237_1073673669354523_542119671180310106_n.jpg

http://www.cnn.com/2016/07/14/us/spirit-leaving-body-photo-trnd/index.html

I think no, but it's good enough to get on CNN apparently. To me I think its the tree trunk somehow caught at just the right angle and out of focus. But I could be wrong...

Feel free to share any unexplainable photos or videos.

Nope.

And serious question: Why wouldn't all ghosts be naked? Your "soul" "essence" or whatever they're claiming becomes a ghost has nothing to do with your clothes. So why would a ghost have any clothes on?

Jackpot

Banned
If ghosts were so visible we'd see them every time someone died.

There is a lot of scientific evidence for ghosts but I don't think this is one.

No there isn't. If there was the scientific consensus would be that they exist. That's how science works, it uses evidence to inform conclusions.

*puts on glasses, gets close to screen*

"Yes, that is a ghost."

*takes glasses of, rubs bridge of nose*

"What am I doing with my life?"

No there isn't. If there was the scientific consensus would be that they exist. That's how science works, it uses evidence to inform conclusions.
No no, you've got it all wrong, what real scientists do is make up a conclusion then bend over backwards to try and find any scant piece of evidence they can to support their wild claims. Obviously.

Jackpot

Banned
Yeah just watch any of the ghost hunter shows. They get experts in the field and use high tech equipment to scan for apparitions.

Assuming you're joking but I once saw an ep of Ghost Hunters International. They had a professional "ghost provoker" who would walk through the house throwing insults at the ghost. The rest of the show consisted of them going "did you just hear that?" and then they'd play back audio of nothing but normal background traffic driving by and rush into the next room.

Science consensus changes all the time, unless you still think the earth is flat, or that gravity waves don't exist, of course.

RangerBAD

That's a plant blowing in the wind outside of the camera's focus. I don't even know what I'm supposed to see, really. Oh, I see it now. It's like an exposed tree trunk or something.

Jackpot

Banned
Science consensus changes all the time, unless you still think the earth is flat, or that gravity waves don't exist, of course.

There's so much wrong with this statement I don't even know where to begin correcting you.

Let's start with your so-called evidence. You claim there's lots of it, ergo the scientific conclusion would be that ghosts exist. The only evidence against ghosts is the total absence of anything to suggest such a concept, just as there is against fairyfolk, meaning solid evidence would overturn it all instantly. The scientific conclusion is there are no ghosts because there is no evidence, end of.

CHC

Nope.

And serious question: Why wouldn't all ghosts be naked? Your "soul" "essence" or whatever they're claiming becomes a ghost has nothing to do with your clothes. So why would a ghost have any clothes on?

Maybe the ghost identifies with its own personal style so much that it becomes part of its soul essence?

NeonZ

Nope.

Usually the stories that attempt to explain that go with self image.

Besides, there's no reason for the "soul" or essence to have a humanoid form at all if there isn't some kind of self-image mechanic going on. Unless when you lose a limb or even hair part of the soul goes with it too.

There's so much wrong with this statement I don't even know where to begin correcting you.

Let's start with your so-called evidence. You claim there's lots of it, ergo the scientific conclusion would be that ghosts exist. The only evidence against ghosts is the total absence of anything to suggest such a concept, just as there is against fairyfolk, meaning solid evidence would overturn it all instantly. The scientific conclusion is there are no ghosts because there is no evidence, end of.
? People say there is evidence for dark matter but we can't see it, or even understand complex astrophysics, but we trust the experts who do.

That's not how science works though, the way Freenudemacusers said is how science works.

Eventually, if given enough time and technology and scientific method, many things can be disproved or basic understandings of things can change, or be proved.

I think personal opinion is coloring your view.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom