• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is this a ghost?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Krejlooc

Banned
Wait so they found Noah's Ark? What does that prove..beyond that fact that ancient people built boats.

Ya they found it

it proves so many things, from the earth being 6000 years old to us living with dinosaurs to virtually everything in the bible

Cyan

Banned
Wait so they found Noah's Ark? What does that prove..beyond that fact that ancient people built boats.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1243384

yxrzuktbekm4xdenpffa.jpg

Scientists are baffled tbh.

Usually the stories that attempt to explain that go with self image.

Besides, there's no reason for the "soul" or essence to have a humanoid form at all if there isn't some kind of self-image mechanic going on. Unless when you lose a limb or even hair part of the soul goes with it too.

...so is this why we don't have people claiming to see ghosts from era before mirrors were popularized?

IIRC the equipment used to detect spectral entities is disrupted by the Suns photons traveling via direct sunlight. Photons traveling through the earth (aka night) are not fully charged and don't present this problem.

*stunned silence*

UrbanRats

I just love how the "rules" for catching ghosts change constantly.
You could be taking thousands of pictures of dead (or dying) people, and no ghost would be visible, because they can't be seen by a normal camera, obviously.
As soon as you get that one picture with some smoke or a smudge on the lens, or a lens flare, or what have you, then suddenly it's proof, and regular cameras can totally catch a ghost in the act.

Nope.

And serious question: Why wouldn't all ghosts be naked? Your "soul" "essence" or whatever they're claiming becomes a ghost has nothing to do with your clothes. So why would a ghost have any clothes on?

There are a lot of. "Why would..." questions regarding ghosts. Most of the answers are either, "Let me pull it from my ass with absolutely no data but my imagination," or simply ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Cipherr

2016, we got 4K cameras on phones now, and yet still have potato levels of quality for stupid paranormal photography.

The ever improving phone cameras are going to continue to expose this stuff for what it is.

Can't keep having blurry ass out of focus shots man... Doesn't make sense.

Isn't that what a hypothesis is?

A hypothesis is typically viewed as an educated guess using limited data.

Making an uneducated guess with zero data doesn't quite qualify as anything more than 'Tales from My Ass.' Factors to consider when creating a real hypothesis are testability, parsimony, scope, fruitfulness, and conservatism. Particularly those first two, which most ghost explanations fail hard on.

A hypothesis is typically viewed as an educated guess using limited data.

Making an uneducated guess with zero data doesn't quite qualify as anything more than 'Tales from My Ass.' Factors to consider when creating a real hypothesis are testability, parsimony, scope, fruitfulness, and conservatism. Particularly those first two, which most ghost explanations fail hard on.
So ghost research is more in the early stages of a hypothesis in your view? I suppose that's fair.

I'm fairly confident that I've seen a ghost so it could be. It might also be a smudge on the lense though.

The one I saw was similar in colour and transparency, but much more detailed.

So ghost research is more in the early stages of a hypothesis in your view? I suppose that's fair.

I would be extremely interested in it if a credible agency of some sort took the topic seriously and decided to get some actual data with the proper respect for the scientific method.

I dont think I've seen a finding yet that doesn't have a "Jump to conclusions' mat by their front door. They seem to ignore proper scientific procedure and instead make hypotheses to match an existing bias. That's not how science works and it's not making the field any more credible.

If by 'early' you mean that the field is not yet mature, then yes. I think it's a very immature field scientifically. I mean that in terms of development (rather than common usage insult). Their 'hypotheses' are effectively meaningless due to being malformed.

Octavia

Unconfirmed Member
So what happens to all the ghosts in a few billion years when the sun engulfs earth? They just live in the sun then?

What amazes me is that people will believe this is a ghost over a massive deformed grape that's only visible to cameras, which is much more likely.

_Ryo_

As a skeptic and an atheist that doesn't at all believe in ghosts based on the fact that there is absolutely no scientific evidence that ghosts exist or have ever existed:

Yes, that is absolutely a ghost. Without question.
It's really obvious, come on.

It looks like a ghost. I'll bet it came out of someone who died in that accident. Or it's hoovering above them being a guardian angel. It's pretty important, that's the thing.

kinggroin

Banned
Smudge on the lease. Perspective of the picture makes it an illusion.

Ghosts aren't real.

But Demons, oh boy, Demons are VERY real.

Mwuahahaha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom