• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

No Man's Sky gets released like, soon, I guess ¯\_()_/¯

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two things will happen when you die depending on the circumstances.

If you die on a planet you will respawn where your ship is landed. All discoveries unreported to the Atlas will and your progress is sent back to the last time you saved.

When out in Space and you die in your spaceship you are sent to the nearest space station with a crappy starter ship and all of the cargo that was stored on your spaceship is lost.

The (possibly rare) circumstance we don't know about is if you die in space in a star system where there's no space station, either because there never was one, or it was blown up by a player. I suppose you would respawn in the save pod of a trading post on the closest planet, assuming there is one. Not sure how you'd get another ship in this scenario.

OmegaDL50

The (possibly rare) circumstance we don't know about is if you die in space in a star system where there's no space station, either because there never was one, or it was blown up by a player. I suppose you would respawn in the save pod of a trading post on the closest planet, assuming there is one. Not sure how you'd get another ship in this scenario.

Well we know what happens when you lose your ship in space. Basically sent to the nearest space station.

However what if you lose your ship while on a planet. Probably sent to one of those docks with the landing pads with a starter ship.

At least this is what makes the most sense.

I at least think Hello Games had the forethought to not reward a player for crashing their ship and sending them somewhere they could not go without actually traveling to first. I'd say it's one of those Trade ships that constantly warp in and out, possibly has docks, so any star systems that lack a space station has a way around this issue so no one can exploit this by crashing their ship on purpose to be warped to another space station beyond the star system they were in as some sort of cheap teleport.

Machina

Banned
One question I have about this game: Are we going to be finding life on every second or third planet or are lifeforms going to be true to mathematics and be few and far between?

One question I have about this game: Are we going to be finding life on every second or third planet or are lifeforms going to be true to mathematics and be few and far between?
The world's we've been seeing are "forced" if I'm using the right word there. Sean has said a large portion will not have as much life or any life at all.

Edit:worlds? lol..I been playing too much kingdom hearts

Unicorn

Sean has said about 1 in 10 will be the really interesting or idyllic worlds.

Unicorn

I'm not sure 'interesting' is the right word. There will still be interesting things on barren planets.
True, why I also used idyllic. I don't know or remember Sean's word, because it may not necessarily mean bearing life.

I really want to see a forest or jungle planet. I want to fly in real low and great the tips of trees. Also, I hope there's some sweet particle effects with flying low to water and thrusters spraying water up. I just want to fly around and zone out.

GribbleGrunger

Dreams in Digital
True, why I also used idyllic. I don't know or remember Sean's word, because it may not necessarily mean bearing life.

I really want to see a forest or jungle planet. I want to fly in real low and great the tips of trees. Also, I hope there's some sweet particle effects with flying low to water and thrusters spraying water up. I just want to fly around and zone out.

I think he said 1 out of 10 planets will have life and flora and 1 out of 10 of those will be what you would consider idyllic.

The reason is clearly to give you a sense of wonder when you finally discover that idyllic world teaming with exotic creatures. Searching out that paradise is also an objective no one ever considers an objective ... but it IS!

Unicorn

I think he said 1 out of 10 planets will have life and flora and 1 out of 10 of those will be what you would consider idyllic.

The reason is clearly to give you a sense of wonder when you finally discover that idyllic world teaming with exotic creatures. Searching out that paradise is also an objective no one ever considers an objective ... but it IS!
Yeah, the desert planets shown in the explore trailer looks so good too though.

I'm still not convinced what Hello Games considers "barren" will match what a lot of people are expecting. We've yet to see a single completely lifeless, airless planet, and most of the "barren" planets we've seen so far have at least a few scattered plants and/or animals on them.

If the odds were that good that you would find no life at all, some of these demos at some point should have stumbled on one of them by now.

I'm still not convinced what Hello Games considers "barren" will match what a lot of people are expecting. We've yet to see a single completely lifeless, airless planet, and even the most "barren" planets we've seen so far have at least a few scattered plants and/or animals on them.

If the odds were that good that you would find no life at all, some of these demos at some point should have stumbled on one of them by now.

I feel like nearly every demo we've seen has been carefully curated to show a specific side of NMS (Sean's even mentioned making sure the game placed him near certain kinds of planets and landmarks after warping) and we haven't really been shown many extremes..

In any case, I do hope there are truly dead planets.

OraleeWey

Why doesn't anyone ask Sean for clarification on the release date for PC on twitter? I would give it a try but I don't use social media.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
I'm still not convinced what Hello Games considers "barren" will match what a lot of people are expecting. We've yet to see a single completely lifeless, airless planet, and most of the "barren" planets we've seen so far have at least a few scattered plants and/or animals on them.

Sean has said a few times that every demo of No Man's Sky they've shown thus far have been created specifically to show off something interesting. He's said that because they usually only have 3-5 minutes to demo the game at these gaming events, that they didn't want to demo a barren, lifeless planet for that amount of time. So they created specific demos where the environment was more interesting, and life on the planet was present, and in greater variety. For the actual release to players, there will be a greater chance of coming across the less "exciting" planets. Planets with life, and planets with higher levels of life will be rare, so that moment you stumble across your first lush, inhabited planet will mean more.

I know I'm personally looking forward to discovering my first planet with a large ocean to explore. A complete ocean planet would be even more amazing (and we know those are in the game).

OuterLimits

Wait, I thought Sean said you can damage a space station, but it can never be completely destroyed because players could get stranded or something.

Maybe I am mistaken though.

Wait, I thought Sean said you can damage a space station, but it can never be completely destroyed because players could get stranded or something.

You can destroy a space station, though Sean said it would take heavy firepower to do so. Destroying a space station is one of the few events Sean's mentioned in terms of "big" events that would be saved for everyone.

Jamiaro

Gotta say that I'm starting to get interested about this game... Have to wait for reviews, but I bet my 5yr old son would love to watch me play this.

I was hyped for this, then I stopped caring, and now I'm hyped again. Please help me.
So many good games coming out in the next couple of weeks, goddamn.

bigDave

i'm sure i've saw a beacon icon during space

SomTervo

Oh, really? I missed this announcement. How do they work? Just causes you to die?

Nah we don't know - Sean just said they're in.

We have a lot of ideas though. Possibly they're big portals, say to other galaxies. Possibly they do something else. Maybe you'll just die. Who knows!

The lucky player to find the first ever black hole is going to have to try flying into it ;)

I feel like nearly every demo we've seen has been carefully curated to show a specific side of NMS (Sean's even mentioned making sure the game placed him near certain kinds of planets and landmarks after warping) and we haven't really been shown many extremes..

In any case, I do hope there are truly dead planets.

Confirmed by Sean Murray:

- 90% of planets are completely barren. Lifeless rocks. Maybe have an atmosphere. These will be good for mining or hiding out - probably not anything else.
- 9% of planets have rudimentary atmosphere and early-stage life. Simple plants and animals, not many species. Possibly can have sentient races. An active atmosphere - storms etc.
- 1% of planets are 'paradise' planets like we have mainly been shown in videos. Lots of complex life (i.e. many species) and a developed ecology. An active atmosphere. Likely to have sentient races.

The first type doesn't make for interesting trailers, so they don't show them off.

I've seen this mentioned in one interview and then answered by citing the same interview.... has there been any better info on the occurrence of waterfalls? That would be awesome and it's something that's missing in all the more recent footage.

In one of the most recent trailers (the 'Explore' trailer I think?) there were waterfalls on this weird brown planet with lots of high, funny-shaped plateaus.

I was really surprised when I saw it. Have a look.

For those who haven't heard Sean speak about the underwater.

https://youtu.be/Q-MBSk1ZDSE?t=101

I can't wait!

Any choice quotes? Can't watch vids at work

Not quotes but:-

Sean explains a scenario where he finds something at the bottom of a deep ocean. A scan shows it's there but it's very dark and he can't see it from a distance. His suit also wasn't strong enough to keep him alive long enough to get that deep.

He tried anyway and died. Then he said that place was lost so he probably couldn't ever go back there and find out what it was. He said he was a bit annoyed and also...surprised...that even though he is making the game the game is holding out on him and hiding things away.

I can see why dying would make him re-spawn somewhere else but I'm not sure why he wouldn't/couldn't travel back to where he was...at least the planet but maybe then he can't/won't find the ocean again?

SomTervo

Not quotes but:-

Sean explains a scenario where he finds something at the bottom of a deep ocean. A scan shows it's there but it's very dark and he can't see it from a distance. His suit also wasn't strong enough to keep him alive long enough to get that deep.

He tried anyway and died. Then he said that place was lost so he probably couldn't ever go back there and find out what it was. He said he was a bit annoyed and also...surprised...that even though he is making the game the game is holding out on him and hiding things away.

I can see why dying would make him re-spawn somewhere else but I'm not sure why he wouldn't/couldn't travel back to where he was...at least the planet but maybe then he can't/won't find the ocean again?

Awesome, thanks.

Regarding not being able to find it again: Imagine how big an ocean is in real life. Like, limitlessly, unfathomably huge. Now imagine you drove out in a boat to some random point out in the ocean, then swam down and saw something cool in the depths. If you returned to your boat and went back to land for supplies, you would definitely not be able to find where you had been if you returned - unless you dropped a buoy or something to mark the place (and even that might drift).

You have to remember we're dealing with planet-sized planets here. Without plenty of personal markers and lots of landmark-memorising, it will be very easy to get lost and very easy to lose things. Apparently it's even easy to completely lose your ship, which is a pitfall many players fall into. If you land on a planet and spend a few hours walking in one direction, it would be easy to get disoriented, and turning around on the spot might present you with a totally unfamiliar view. It could be nigh impossible to find your way back to where you landed. Indeed, it can take you hundreds of days IRL to fully explore one planet.

The only confusing thing about this anecdote is that, as far as we know, you can use your scanner to flag up nearby points of interest. Surely if he was close enough to that, the scanner would mark it on a map or something? Perhaps it only marks things while you're close to them, though.

DedValve

Banned
Such incredible insight. Wow.

Is this what it looks like to other people when I bitch about Bethesda butchering the Fallout ip?

No, because you actually played the fallout games and have a valid opinion rather than just shitposting.

EDIT: Oh my goodness this thread moves fast.

SomTervo

Whats the word on npcs and their roles? Merely hub points for trade etc.?

- There are several NPC races (we don't know how many). Every one has a different standing with each other. Some will be at full-on war with each other. If you kill loads of a certain race, that race will dislike you and aggro you - while the races they're at war with will like you and help you out. You can play politics and the 'war economy'
- You can trade with NPCs on space stations and on planet-side settlements. You can trade for resources, materials, weapons, upgrades and schematics.
- To speak with NPCs successfully, you need to learn their language. This comes from reading 'Monoliths' on planets where they live - that is, reading their cultural writings. You might learn a word or two from each one, and these words will crop up in the NPC's dialogue. You can work out other words from context and keep notice
- If you say the wrong thing or try to speak a language you don't know, you can damage your standing with that race
- It's not officially confirmed, but we're 90% sure that you can 'hire' members of friendly NPC races as wing men. We don't know if there's an upper limit. You might be able to assemble a fleet of NPCs as wingmen and assault larger space stations.
- You can kill and rob NPCs of money/resources/schematics. You can blow up their ships like a pirate, or assault their on-planet bases. You can also hack into on-planet bases, like using stealth. Obviously these activities will aggro the race and lower your standing with them
- Certain resources/items will be more valuable with particular races. From recent trailers we saw items which are mainly valuable for electronic lifeforms. Could be items like this would be worth a lot more to a sentient robot, for example.

Zojirushi

I wonder if this is one of those games where it makes the most sense to wait a couple of weeks or even longer because they will patch the shit out of it, in terms of bugs and even content.

It seems to have worked that way with every recent open-world game.

Well in any case I'm super curious in what condition this'll launch in.

Nothus

Does anyone know when the dynamic theme pre-order bonus will unlock?
I don't understand the logic of holding a theme back until the game launches - why not just let me have that bad boy straight away?!

theWB27

I wonder if this is one of those games where it makes the most sense to wait a couple of weeks or even longer because they will patch the shit out of it, in terms of bugs and even content.

But you'll still discover new things after patches and I don't see how one could run through all the current content because of all the variations in the game.

somme

I imagine it'll release in a good state. Sean said a few times they weren't even going to announce a release date until they knew when they would finish it by.

And Sean and the gang don't really seem like the kind of team to release a broken game.

E92 M3

I imagine it'll release in a good state. Sean said a few times they weren't even going to announce a release date until they knew when they would finish it by.

And Sean and the gang don't really seem like the kind of team to release a broken game.

Yeah this. They delayed it an extra 3 weeks to polish things off. Sean even said they only have one chance to get it right.

Yeah this. They delayed it an extra 3 weeks to polish things off. Sean even said they only have one chance to get it right.
Yeah, this isn't Ubisoft. They can release a messed up game and can keep on trucking. Hello Games is an indie studio. They release a broken game, and it could be their last. Indie devs don't have the safety net of assured sales or other big franchises.

- There are several NPC races (we don't know how many). Every one has a different standing with each other. Some will be at full-on war with each other. If you kill loads of a certain race, that race will dislike you and aggro you - while the races they're at war with will like you and help you out. You can play politics and the 'war economy'
- You can trade with NPCs on space stations and on planet-side settlements. You can trade for resources, materials, weapons, upgrades and schematics.
- To speak with NPCs successfully, you need to learn their language. This comes from reading 'Monoliths' on planets where they live - that is, reading their cultural writings. You might learn a word or two from each one, and these words will crop up in the NPC's dialogue. You can work out other words from context and keep notice
- If you say the wrong thing or try to speak a language you don't know, you can damage your standing with that race
- It's not officially confirmed, but we're 90% sure that you can 'hire' members of friendly NPC races as wing men. We don't know if there's an upper limit. You might be able to assemble a fleet of NPCs as wingmen and assault larger space stations.
- You can kill and rob NPCs of money/resources/schematics. You can blow up their ships like a pirate, or assault their on-planet bases. You can also hack into on-planet bases, like using stealth. Obviously these activities will aggro the race and lower your standing with them
- Certain resources/items will be more valuable with particular races. From recent trailers we saw items which are mainly valuable for electronic lifeforms. Could be items like this would be worth a lot more to a sentient robot, for example.

sounds great! thanks for that. going to preorder now.

CHC

But you'll still discover new things after patches and I don't see how one could run through all the current content because of all the variations in the game.

I understand the idea of wanting to play it for the first time as a relatively "pristine," bug-free experience, that's fair enough. With the delay period, however, I can only hope it launches in a relatively stable state.

Mathieran

Banned
Can't believe it's now just over two weeks. I am very confident that the game will turn out great, but even if it doesn't I'm grateful for how much entertainment it's given us already in the form of speculation and hype and just in general getting my imagination to run wild. It's been fun

SomTervo

sounds great! thanks for that. going to preorder now.

My pleasure - hope the game is as awesome as its premise.

FYI, while most of the info above is confirmed, we don't know how well it will come together. Honestly the game might still be flawed or shallow.

I think the chances are it won't be, but we won't know until it's in our hands.

Tunesmith

formerly "chigiri"
http://www.no-mans-sky.com/about/

"No Man’s Sky is a game about exploration and survival in an infinite procedurally generated galaxy, coming to PS4 on August 9th in North America and August 10th in Europe, and on PC worldwide on August 12th."

PC on August 12?

rs_500x224-141015103249-tumblr_inline_ncoft3nTqP1rw9igh.gif

Steam has the PC release as August 10th.
Europe if that matters.

MaDKaT

Yeah, this isn't Ubisoft. They can release a messed up game and can keep on trucking. Hello Games is an indie studio. They release a broken game, and it could be their last. Indie devs don't have the safety net of assured sales or other big franchises.

I also believe he mentioned updates or patches(outside of added features) would very likely break the game.

ys45

Why can't they just release the damn game at the same time for everyone on PC ?
It's still saying 9 here on my steam (from Canada) .

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom