• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony killed Lik-Sang :(

bhytre

http://www.lik-sang.com/news.php?artc=3901

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE-OUT OF BUSINESS NOTICE

Hong Kong, October 24th of 2006 - Lik-Sang.com, the popular gaming retailer from Hong Kong, has today announced that it is forced to close down due to multiple legal actions brought against it by Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited and Sony Computer Entertainment Inc. Sony claimed that Lik-Sang infringed its trade marks, copyright and registered design rights by selling Sony PSP consoles from Asia to European customers, and have recently obtained a judgment in the High Court of London (England) rendering Lik-Sang's sales of PSP consoles unlawful.

As of today, Lik-Sang.com will not be in the position to accept any new orders and will cancel and refund all existing orders that have already been placed. Furthermore, Lik-Sang is working closely with banks and PayPal to refund any store credits held by the company, and the customer support department is taking care of any open transactions such as pending RMAs or repairs and shipping related matters. The staff of Lik-Sang will make sure that nobody will get hurt in the crossfire of this ordeal.

A Sony spokesperson declined to comment directly on the lawsuit against Lik-Sang, but recently went on to tell Gamesindustry.biz that "ultimately, we're trying to protect consumers from being sold hardware that does not conform to strict EU or UK consumer safety standards, due to voltage supply differences et cetera; is not - in PS3's case - backwards compatible with either PS1 or PS2 software; will not play European Blu-Ray movies or DVDs; and will not be covered by warranty".

Lik Sang strongly disagrees with Sony's opinion that their customers need this kind of protection and pointed out that PSP consoles shipped from Lik-Sang contained genuine Sony 100V-240V AC Adapters that carry CE and other safety marks and are compatible world wide. All PSP consoles were in conformity with all EU and UK consumer safety regulations.

Furthermore, Sony have failed to disclose to the London High Court that not only the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on Lik-Sang for their gaming needs, but also Sony Europe's very own top directors repeatedly got their Sony PSP hard or software imports in nicely packed Lik-Sang parcels with free Lik-Sang Mugs or Lik-Sang Badge Holders, starting just two days after Japan's official release, as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action). The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few.

"Today is Sony Europe victory about PSP, tomorrow is Sony Europe’s ongoing pressure about PlayStation 3. With this precedent set, next week could already be the stage for complaints from Sony America about the same thing, or from other console manufacturers about other consoles to other regions, or even from any publisher about any specific software title to any country they don’t see fit. It’s the beginning of the end... of the World as we know it", stated Pascal Clarysse, formerly known as the Marketing Manager of Lik-Sang.com.

"Blame it on Sony. That's the latest dark spot in their shameful track record as gaming industry leader. The Empire finally 'won', few dominating retailers from the UK probably will rejoice the news, but everybody else in the gaming world lost something today."

:(

DrEvil

not a medical professional
welcome to the fourth dimension, bitches.

Seriously though, liksang has been around for ever, i've never ordered from them, but that's one less import option around...

BuddyC

Whoa, Lik-Sang was pretty slick. I wonder if they'll just be re-opening up later, like the last time they folded, or if this is really the end.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Wowzers. I had a PS3 preorder with them (not that I was likely to exercise it at the going rates on other sites, but still..).

And this was good:

Furthermore, Sony have failed to disclose to the London High Court that not only the world wide gaming community in more than 100 countries relied on Lik-Sang for their gaming needs, but also Sony Europe's very own top directors repeatedly got their Sony PSP hard or software imports in nicely packed Lik-Sang parcels with free Lik-Sang Mugs or Lik-Sang Badge Holders, starting just two days after Japan's official release, as early as 14th of December 2004 (more than nine months earlier than the legal action). The list of PSP related Sony Europe orders reads like the who's who of the videogames industry, and includes Ray Maguire (Managing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Alan Duncan (UK Marketing Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Chris Sorrell (Creative Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Ltd), Rob Parkin (Development Director, Sony Computer Entertainment Europe Limited), just to name a few.

If this keeps up I'll have to get any and all imports through family in the US.

Ranger X

What the hell Christ's **** is that shit?
How importations can be illegal?????????

I'm really pissed at this. Nobody comes close to Lik-sang. The store was extremely convenient for me, he got all accessories you could imagine.

Anybody knows an alternative to liksang?? (PM me)

disco

Damn, i was planning to import Castlevania - Portrait of Ruin from them. Grrr, damn Sony, why can't Lik-Sang continue normally anyway? I'm sure NDS import software sales make up a larger demand than the PSP and PS2 at the moment.

KimiNewt

Scored 3/100 on an Exam
Those bastards! If they touch Play-asia I will.. I will.. grah..
Importing is my only source of getting games as they do not sell them where I live.. and the whole bullshit about trying to protect the consumer is ridiculous.
OH NO I BOUGHT A US PS3 WHAT I CAN'T PLAY EURO BLU RAY MOVIES OH NO

aku:jiki

What the ****.

It's like videogame companies just don't have a single clue what concepts like "goodwill" and "public image" mean. Not everything is about the bottom line, guys!

meppi

What the flying ****!!! This is the last straw I swear.
I haven't ordered anything from them in the past, but that's besides the point.

Between all 3 Sony systems I have close to 500 games, well here is where I draw the line.
**** sony. Never again. I'd rather find another hobby then give them one more cent.

Holy ****. damn scumbags. :mad:

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
elostyle said:
I think they'll eventually be back under a different name.

I'm wondering if this is a 'technical' manoeuvre to free themselves of the legal obligations and actions placed upon them. All of this stuff was against 'Lik-Sang the entity', so if you get rid of that entity..you start from scratch. I mean their business seemed sound, and they have their infrastructure in place..I really doubt one lawsuit could bring them down like this and make them chuck it in.

I love how Sony was going after importers -- people who often double dip their software spending on legitimite software, instead of piracy. Oh the delicious irony.

dreamkats

I guess this is really bad... now play-asia can do whatever they want with thei pricetags, now that their most important competitor is dead

jarosh

HOLY ****ING SHIT HOLY ****ING SHIT HOLY ****ING SHIT NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

MY WII PRE-ORDER NOOOOO

VOOK

We don't know why he keeps buying PAL, either.
So if Sony cant launch in 2006 in Europe, they are going to stop everyone else?

Good work

yeah quick get the SDF force in here.

meanwhile i'll go get the popcorn.

this is very very sad though. I got a lot of good stuff through lik-sang. still lately i've been using play-asia exclusively, because of how they handled the DS lite launch about ten times better than anyone else. NOT asking for more money, and sending out free gifts to apologise for a two week delay in shipping due to the shortages.

Top Bottom