• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

New PES 2017 hands-on impressions, gameplay

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Nice goal but this is a perfect example of the ball "physics" in pes. If you watch the replay closely, you'll notice 2 things. The first is that he kicks the ball with the instep of his foot and yet the spin of the ball is similar to a shot taken with the outside of the foot. The second thing you'll notice is that the ball doesn't start spinning until it has passed the player. Both of those things are physically unnatural and is a sore point for me when playing the games. When I see a the replay, it actually takes away some of the satisfaction gained from scoring.

Could say the exact same thing about FIFA tbf

Honome

Really, since fifa 14 or 15 where they introduced real ball physics, the issue has been eradicated to my knowledge but if you could point me to some similar examples, I'd appreciate it.

For me all the "real physics" in Fifa are useless because of the game atrocious AI and complete lack of a working strategy system. A football game where all players and teams play equally is crap boring.

Lashley

Really, since fifa 14 or 15 where they introduced real ball physics, the issue has been eradicated to my knowledge but if you could point me to some similar examples, I'd appreciate it.

Most of my goals are always hit in one of two ways

Side of foot to the centre of the ball

toe poke/laces to the centre of the ball

Jack cw

For me all the "real physics" in Fifa are useless because of the game atrocious AI and complete lack of a working strategy system. A football game where all players and teams play equally is crap boring.

The truth.
I hate playing against AI on legend because a 2 star team plays like Barca or Bayern on rails possession. And the AI only knows one fucking strategy - plain forward with no real adaption to the players playstyle. The sliders are also hilarious, because they not only show the poor AI routines, but takes out every fun and challenge.

PES has stupid AI as well, but at least players make runs.

LAM09

The truth.
I hate playing against AI on legend because a 2 star team plays like Barca or Bayern on rails possession. And the AI only knows one fucking strategy - plain forward with no real adaption to the players playstyle. The sliders are also hilarious, because they not only show the poor AI routines, but takes out every fun and challenge.

PES has stupid AI as well, but at least players make runs.

Adaptive AI is a great addition to PES 2017. The AI on either game can't be compared.

Pachimari

I have only played one match and it still feels a bit off but I'm sure it's a feel I just need to get the hang of first. Although the referee were horrendous. Giving the opponent a free kick when my sliding tackle was clean, and he even gave them a penalty when I hit the ball cleanly. I was like wtf. Not sure what to think about it yet. It feels a little sluggish.

Lashley

Slide Tackling is pretty awful

I can get all of the ball, but if I happen to touch the player slightly too, the ref gives a foul

Jack cw

Adaptive AI is a great addition to PES 2017. The AI on either game can't be compared.

I'm not comparing. One game is using AI as essential point in the game, the other doesn't even care.

While FIFA captures everything around the pitch perfectly, the single player experience is utter crap for ages, because of EA Sports not getting how football works on a tactical level. PES was always different, even more arcady at times, but the experience against the CPU when you are 0:1 behind and score in extra time because you finally were able to play a decent attack, because even the AI makes mistakes, unlike FIFA, where even a goalie as fieldplayer has better first touch than Messi.

jrmanimal

I downloaded it but haven't tried yet...can't wait to finally play later today. I hope it's different enough from 16.

The downside is mostly of the Corinthians team being fake :(...Those fakes are probably better than ours real strikers, but still.

I'm still on the fence on it...but I really, really, really hope I like this...I miss playing Master League so much. I want to repeat the good old days of Castolo lifting giant trophies.

LOIk2Te.jpg

Lashley

^ That image hahahaha

I'm not comparing. One game is using AI as essential point in the game, the other doesn't even care.

While FIFA captures everything around the pitch perfectly, the single player experience is utter crap for ages, because of EA Sports not getting how football works on a tactical level. PES was always different, even more arcady at times, but the experience against the CPU when you are 0:1 behind and score in extra time because you finally were able to play a decent attack, because even the AI makes mistakes, unlike FIFA, where even a goalie as fieldplayer has better first touch than Messi.

I'll always say PES NAILS the offline gameplay, whereas FIFA is better for online. FIFA doesn't nail online gameplay, but it's a much better experience online than PES is.

LAM09

I wasn't aiming it at you, but just saying in general.

jrmanimal

I played one game, on superstar, and I'm kind of disappointed at how passive AI still is. I won Arsenal 1-0 Atletico with a boring Giroud header and they didn't even got a shot.

I'm sorry for the off-screen picture but look how only Torres try to press my defense with 80' and the team losing. It was pretty easy to just pass the ball in the defense. Not a single moment in the game I saw Atletico try a higher defense and more press.

It's better than 15 and 16, but still not great...maybe it's an Atletico thing maybe...I'll test more. Other than that, game is looking good...but I'll have to play more of it.

I'm sorry for the off-screen picture but look how only Torres try to press my defense with 80' and the team losing. It was pretty easy to just pass the ball in the defense. Not a single moment in the game I saw Atletico try a higher defense and more press.

Well I played Germany(Me) vs France(CPU) and France was pressing all over the field. I lost 0-2. Really caught me off guard and stressed me out the whole game. Took me out of my game plan.

PaulLFC

The referees have not been touched from last years game when calling fouls... anyone who says they are different is lying.
Right. Anyone who disagrees with your opinion is a liar. Got it.

The refs aren't perfect, far from it. But to say they aren't changed from last year... go back and play 2016 if you think the refs haven't changed, because you clearly haven't played it enough.

No longer can you come flying in and take out a player from behind with a two footed challenge, only for the referee to play on. No longer can you have the ref play advantage after a tackle that should be at least a booking, then use Super Cancel to wait until the opposition touch the ball and thereby avoid a card.

Slide tackles are actually called as fouls - arguably a little *too* frequently because like Lashley, I've experienced what look like perfect tackles being punished. The refs are arguably a little too strict, although nowhere near PES 5 levels.

They are much better than last year, and to suggest they haven't been modified one bit from 2016 is flat out wrong.

MetalGearSilly

Neo Member
PES impressions are always tricky. You may really like/hate it at first. It's only really after a couple of weeks of play that you have a better idea about the game..what works..what doesn't etc. And the conclusion isn't always positive.

PES impressions are always tricky. You may really like/hate it at first. It's only really after a couple of weeks of play that you have a better idea about the game..what works..what doesn't etc. And the conclusion isn't always positive.
I've hated every PES since 2013 after my first two games and ended up loving and buying them. This seems no different so far. We'll see if I come around to it because I really don't like it at the moment.

Bumhead

Banned
Really enjoyed the 3 or 4 games I had with the demo last night.

There's no one thing I think works or doesn't work, really. It just feels like more steady progress over the last 2 years, which is fine, because those games were very close to being good. To me, this one just feels like it's there from the moment I started my first match.

Both refereeing and goalkeepers have clearly had work done. Just to echo what's been said above, they're not perfect (I don't believe any football game ever has been) but there's a notable and obvious improvement on last year.

Think I'll be buying it.

Tuffty

Only played a few matches and I like it but from what I see the keepers seem to be slightly better but still prone to mistakes. I shot from outside the box at an angle as Messi and it went straight over the keeper's head and in. Also seems like headers are easy goals. Will need to play a few more matches before I think of buying but I think so far it could be better than 2016.

I've played so much 2016 that the default speed in the demo is quicker than I'm used to. Crosses go flying in like a bullet now lol

Bumhead

Banned
Had a few more matches now.

The goalkeepers are brilliant. Had several instances where I've shouted "what a save!" at the telly. Just feels so much better than in the previous games.

Lashley

Had a few more matches now.

The goalkeepers are brilliant. Had several instances where I've shouted "what a save!" at the telly. Just feels so much better than in the previous games.

Done the same, they're definitely improved. I just don't like slide tackling, and the headers seem worse than last year.

Bumhead

Banned
Must admit I've not scored a header yet. I like them elsewhere on the pitch though, just haven't been playing many balls into the box from out wide (which I should start doing, because crossing feels great too).

I hear Option Files are back this year?

Really enjoying the game. Won't buy it though- Xbox One is clearly an afterthought.

Playing with fake kits / badges / names really does break immersion, so I have no idea why they make this feature unavailable to Xbox One gamers (it is doable on Xbox 360). The game also looks far, far worse than it should on Xbkx, compared to the PS4. I know the Xbox One is a little underpowered, but no other game has this level of dofference. That all contributes to the online game dying off fairly quickly for Xbox One. It's a lot better on PS4 all around.

Best Football game, Konami redeemed. Was looking forward to getting stuck into Deus Ex but i keep coming back to this.

Done the same, they're definitely improved. I just don't like slide tackling, and the headers seem worse than last year.

With shots or in general? Haven't noticed much difference in shots but in general headers are better i think, you can dominate aerially with players like Giroud or Mertesacker but mostly it's a lot more 50-50. On '16 you can win every header with pretty much anyone once you get the timing and positioning down. Sliding tackles seems identical to last year from what i can tell, i like them myself though.

Lashley

Really enjoying the game. Won't buy it though- Xbox One is clearly an afterthought.

Playing with fake kits / badges / names really does break immersion, so I have no idea why they make this feature unavailable to Xbox One gamers (it is doable on Xbox 360). The game also looks far, far worse than it should on Xbkx, compared to the PS4. I know the Xbox One is a little underpowered, but no other game has this level of dofference. That all contributes to the online game dying off fairly quickly for Xbox One. It's a lot better on PS4 all around.

You should feel PC players pain

Fuck Konami
Best Football game, Konami redeemed. Was looking forward to getting stuck into Deus Ex but i keep coming back to this.

With shots or in general? Haven't noticed much difference in shots but in general headers are better i think, you can dominate aerially with players like Giroud or Mertesacker but mostly it's a lot more 50-50. On '16 you can win every header with pretty much anyone once you get the timing and positioning down. Sliding tackles seems identical to last year from what i can tell, i like them myself though.

Attacking, they seem to go insanely high, its weird

ty_hot

Also worth mention to those on XBONE that only on PS4 you can import fully edited options files...like on PS2

If you have the option of both consoles something to consider,

Im worried that Libertadores is not yet announced....

updating my previous answer, as I was on the phone I couldnt post this image (it was in the last page but I thought I had seen it in another forum)

6d68JmXl.jpg

As there is a 'AFC Champions League' and a "Other Latin American Teams' I would guess they lost the Libertadores license (but maybe they will still have the teams, or at least there is room to create them in an Option File. There was a rumour from April/May that said they lost the license (FIFA got it). We will see.

PaulLFC

I think that's a question for Microsoft. The idea that Konami would deliberately remove option file editing from the Xbox editions if it was possible to implement, while leaving it in the PS versions, doesn't make sense to me.

LAM09

I think that's a question for Microsoft. The idea that Konami would deliberately remove option file editing from the Xbox editions if it was possible to implement, while leaving it in the PS versions, doesn't make sense to me.

They've already said the omission of OF's on XB is down to Microsoft. Should be common knowledge by now.

Top Bottom