• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says PC, not the Xbox, pushed it to create Ps4 Pro

OraleeWey

Sony debuted its sorta-new PlayStation 4 Pro console earlier this week, a moment relevant to us primarily because shortly thereafter it also unveiled the first proper Mass Effect: Andromeda gameplay trailer. But in the wake of that event, Sony Interactive Entertainment chief Andrew House said something very interesting: He told the Guardian that it wasn't competing consoles like the Xbox One S or looming Scorpio that drove the decision to release an upgraded version of the PS4. It was the PC.

“I saw some data that really influenced me,” House said. “It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console life cycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had. We wanted to keep those people within our ecosystem by giving them the very best and very highest [performance quality]. So the net result of those thoughts was PlayStation 4 Pro—and, by and large, a graphical approach to game improvement.”

More at the Source

wachie

Andrew House said:
I saw some data that really influenced me,” House said. “It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console life cycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had.
Cant say I disagree with them.

I don't see how they "keep those people within our ecosystem by giving them the very best and very highest performance quality" when they aren't really doing that compared to a half decent PC.

High quality is arguable but highest performance is laughable.

Makes since. I was going to build a PC for that reason. I'm still going to, but this does help with keeping people from investing into PC at this point of time and just upgrading.

Though, PCs have more to offer than power so we will see the reason people wanted to upgrade this November.

Primeau31

yeah, they're poorly informed then because it doesn't look like the Pro is going to offer a substantial PERFORMANCE boost which is more important to most PC gamers

I don't see how they "keep those people within our ecosystem by giving them the very best and very highest performance quality" when they aren't really doing that compared to a half decent PC.

I think that, going by the looks of things, the PS4 Pro's improvements are probably enough to net console players who just want better looking games. There's myriad other reasons that people switch to PC but PS4 Pro obviously isn't trying to counter those.

wachie

Context?

He's saying highest performance possible in the console space. Something that fits in the 200W max and $399 window.

I would say the Pro will compete nicely against a half decent PC.

Alebrije

Agree , but hardly PC gamers will move to PRO with those specs..

For console users is a great console for the price

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
But... they're not giving highest performance.

We shall see on release but personally $400 for 4K and HDR sounds like a fairly impressive deal to me. I want to build a new PC but I also need to buy a new TV in the next year and might just stick to a PS4 Pro and get a real nice TV next year sometime.

Kssio_Aug

It still doesn't make much sense to me. If players were looking for the best performance / graphics they would have bought a PC, cause even PS4 Pro won't change that fact.

diaspora

We shall see on release but personally $400 for 4K and HDR sounds like a fairly impressive deal to me. I want to build a new PC but I also need to buy a new TV in the next year and might just stick to a PS4 Pro and get a real nice TV next year sometime.

The only thing in 4K is a PS3 port and a moba. All GPUs can do HDR afaik. Either way it's outclassed by a 470 and i3.

DooMAGE

It's not a real 4K machine tho.
Looks like Sony managed to fool a lot of ppl :/

It's not about having the highest performance, it's about having "good enough" performance and image quality at $400 that someone who would otherwise build a PC chooses to not do so.

U_Know_Me

It still doesn't make much sense to me. If players were looking for the best performance / graphics they would have bought a PC, cause even PS4 Pro won't change that fact.

Some are in between like myself. I want the best performance but I play a lot of multiplayer and a lot of games die out fast on pc.

ReaperXL7

I think the idea that the only thing a PC has to offer is graphical fidelity is really misguided.

You can argue that sure, but when Epeens are being waved around many PC enthusiasts focus almost exclusively on Graphics and Frames. I'd argue those features alone won't sway console primarygamers because if those were the only factors they cared about they'd be on PC already.

I think the PC offers many advantages over consoles which is why I'm building my first gaming focused PC, but there are many of its loudest supports that don't emphasize many of them outside of visuals and performance.

HStallion

It's not 4k.

The only thing in 4K is a PS3 port and a moba. All GPUs can do HDR afaik. Either way it's outclassed by a 470 and i3.

It's not a real 4K machine tho.
Looks like Sony managed to fool a lot of ppl :/

Haha wow guys, sorry my purchasing choices aren't lining up with your personal preferences but I realize all that. Sorry I didn't describe things in detail but I'm well aware and that does nothing to stop me from saying FauxK at $400 with a real nice TV and HDR as well as the potential for 4K streaming are far more than enough for me. I won't even have a 4K for about a year after buying the PS4 Pro. I don't have the money right now to do a PC and if I were to build a new one I'd be going as high as I could go. However I have other things like a dire need of a new TV so that is most likely where my cash will go next year, not even dipping into VR any time soon because I won't have the spare funds for even the PSVR.

Gitaroo

I stick to pc version of any game that are are available on pc. Thats why consoles exclusive are the only reason why I would buy any consoles. MS dropped the ball by not having strong first party and their play anywhere initiative means Ill never need to get an xbox in the future. (i do own a xbox one s...)

Haha wow guys, sorry my purchasing choices aren't lining up with your personal preferences but I realize all that. Sorry I didn't describe things in detail but I'm well aware and that does nothing to stop me from saying FauxK at $400 with a real nice TV and HDR as well as the potential for 4K streaming are far more than enough for me. I won't even have a 4K for about a year after buying the PS4 Pro

Just stating facts is all, no need to get defensive.

OCD Guy

I'm glad consoles are going down this path. I'm in a minority but I'd be open to a new console every year, I'd also be open to a $700 console that goes balls out.

I could see a yearly model working in theory, you wouldn't be forced to upgrade, and your games would still play the same, but for those that want to stay at the "cutting edge" they'd have the option.

I know people place more importance on phones, plus most people subsidize the cost with monthly contracts, but most people don't bat an eyelid at buying iphones every year and they're double the price of a playstation.

Ploid 3.0

I hope that's true, though I still need a HDR display. I don't know though, some people alluded to GPUs needing some specific hardwarde feature to be able to do the new HDR. If PS4 original can get it with a firmware update maybe that's correct. Looking forward to seeing what is what, though I still should wait until dust settles on this new stuff (poor early 4k tv owners).

HStallion

Just stating facts is all, no need to get defensive.

You stated a fact and I realize its not native 4K but its 4K enough for this guy. I think the games look great on it so far and I think HDR is far more impressive to me than 4K so I'm far more excited for that.

Raptor

But if they wanted the best graphics they would have gone PC in the first place :S

There is some weird casual people that want the best graphics and all that without needed to go to PC.

So in a sense this console should be for me alas, I aint buying cause this jump aint as good as I hoped for.

diaspora

At the $400 price it's not bad for people who really care about graphics. Games like Horizon will be a showcase.

I mean, people that care about graphics have already got a PC. The existence of the Pro doesn't really address those people.

You stated a fact and I realize its not native 4K but its 4K enough for this guy. I think the games look great on it so far and I think HDR is far more impressive to me than 4K so I'm far more excited for that.

"It's still real to me, damn it"

Top Bottom