• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says PC, not the Xbox, pushed it to create Ps4 Pro

DooMAGE

Haha wow guys, sorry my purchasing choices aren't lining up with your personal preferences but I realize all that. Sorry I didn't describe things in detail but I'm well aware and that does nothing to stop me from saying FauxK at $400 with a real nice TV and HDR as well as the potential for 4K streaming are far more than enough for me. I won't even have a 4K for about a year after buying the PS4 Pro

Woa, why are you being so defensive, they are just being informative and helping ppl that are being mislead by the PS4 Pro 4K buzz.

You stated a fact and I realize its not native 4K but its 4K enough for this guy. I think the games look great on it so far and I think HDR is far more impressive to me than 4K so I'm far more excited for that.

Gonna agree the HDR part is more impressive, but I think that's due to the 4k not really being 4k.

Native 4k is stunning!

Ploid 3.0

You are trying to be funny but only sound more ignorant.
Ask Farming Simulator devs.

Hopefully the next engine Bethesda makes for their games work for modding on all platforms.

I just want them to move on from Gamebryo. Spend some money to make a better one. It's earned it's worth, you too Telltale (did they upgrade yet?).

antonz

It is a stupidly flawed logic they are pursuing. Games are what bring people to your console. Just bumping the Specs on the PS4 is not going to suddenly change that.

You bring people and convince them to stay with the GAMES. People inevitably wander in the later years of a console generation because the flow of new must haves shifts to sequels and ramp up for next gen meanwhile things like PC continually get new games no matter how old or young the generation is.

You want to slow the bleeding you create content not just throw more power at the same content.

orava

We shall see on release but personally $400 for 4K and HDR sounds like a fairly impressive deal to me. I want to build a new PC but I also need to buy a new TV in the next year and might just stick to a PS4 Pro and get a real nice TV next year sometime.

So it should actually be $400 + $1500 or whatever a proper 4K HDR capable tv costs to enjoy the "very best and very highest". And that's on top of the old console and tv.

Purest 78

I mean, people that care about graphics have already got a PC. The existence of the Pro doesn't really address those people.

"It's still real to me, damn it"

Not true at all I've been a console gamer over 30 years I care about graphics. More importantly I care about games I wanna play. The most powerful PC in the world Doesn't have the exclusives I enjoy. So this is perfect for me Better graphics with the games I wanna play.

Pooya

I think his understanding is a bit flawed. Most people don't go to PC for better graphics, just look at the most played PC games, none of them are about high end graphics. It's more about freedom and do what you want where you want how you want and pay less for everything, better fidelity comes with it but it's not the end of it.

Those looking for cutting edge graphics are unlikely to be satisfied by pro either way as there is a huge gap right now between affordable cards people buy like 1070 and a pro.

I like the system and the idea but I'm not sure they are targeting the right audience here. They should position it as the main PS4 and their main offering and play down the old model and phase it out slowly, not some elite product that you as a average consumer/console player might not need or should not care about.

So what does this mean?

That they're going to keep chasing PC specs and release new hardware every 2-3 years? They can kiss my ass with that nonsense.

diaspora

It is a stupidly flawed logic they are pursuing. Games are what bring people to your console. Just bumping the Specs on the PS4 is not going to suddenly change that.

You bring people and convince them to stay with the GAMES. People inevitably wander in the later years of a console generation because the flow of new must haves shifts to sequels and ramp up for next gen meanwhile things like PC continually get new games no matter how old or young the generation is.

You want to slow the bleeding you create content not just throw more power at the same content.

This.

Sure, anyone that wants good hardware goes PC, but it's more than that. They go because they have a library that spans multiple console generations and have services that allow them to buy, play, and keep games from years ago and they know they'll be able to play them years later.

Not true at all I've been a console gamer over 30 years I care about graphics. More importantly I care about games I wanna play. The most powerful PC in the world Doesn't have the exclusives I enjoy. So this is perfect for me Better graphics with the games I wanna play.

So you care, but don't actually care.

Reg

Banned

But they are getting the gamez

wachie

Allowing a higher-end PS4 allows PC devs to delve with PS4 Pro without making a ton of sacrifices that they would need to if they were considering porting to PS4/Xbox One, so yes that absolutely makes sense.

Ploid 3.0

Remember the thirst for PS4 and Xbox One before they launched? The millions of views on the PS4 reveal. Imagine how many PS3 Pros they could have sold in the middle of it's life. There's demand for more power. It would be stupid if they dropped PS4 normal, and forced everyone to move on to PS4 Pro, in a way that 3DS upgraded from DS. Some games work on PS4, but some games requiring PS4 Pro, that would have sucked. I doubt they put too much resources into this, and everything should be compatible, and maybe even help PS VR. It all seems good to me.

Anno

Graphics are pretty far down the list of items Sony need to take inspiration from if they want me to buy one along with my PC. I'm sure some people want an improved console, though, and I'm all for anything that pushes multiplatform ports, so I hope it does well.

antonz

Allowing a higher-end PS4 allows PC devs to delve with PS4 Pro without making a ton of sacrifices that they would need to if they were considering porting to PS4/Xbox One, so yes that absolutely makes sense.

They still have to get it on the original PS4 so it does nothing for them.

I think there a little truth and a little bullshit here.

The truth is there are some people who mid gen get frustrated with middling console performance and get itchy feet to upgrade.

But it's far more likely that mid gen, you have experienced pretty much all a platform has to offer and start looking at what the competition is offering.

Far more people do the latter than the former and the PS4 pro is a neat way to keep these people interested in PlayStation.

vpance

I think he's understanding is a bit flawed. Most people don't go to PC for better graphics, just look at the most played PC games, none of them are about high end graphics. It's more about freedom and do what you want where you want how you want and pay less for everything, better fidelity comes with it but it's not the end of it.

Those looking for cutting edge graphics are unlikely to be satisfied by pro either way as there is a huge gap right now between affordable cards people buy like 1070 and a pro.

Some people go to PC for better graphics. And that's the target, at $399. Can't cover all the bases.

AudioEppa

I'm cool with everything about pro except one thing. How long until PS5 shows up?

What's the point of dropping another $400 when in the next 4 to 5 years they're probably going to be asking for even more money to have a real big generation upgrade.

I just feel like PS4 Pro is with the OG4 would have originally released as. Like maybe gen 8 started too soon. Maybe I'm thinking way too deep on this..

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Andrew House said that before E3 too, why is it just news now?

The fact of the matter is, they wanted to increase graphical fidelity and visual fidelity in general, both to take advantage of 4K screens, make the difference between higher PC visual settings and console settings more equal, and get people to upgrade to a new box, while selling it at a mass market price.

That's a lot of checkboxes, but they managed to do it somehow.

Seems pretty simple.

wachie

They still have to get it on the original PS4 so it does nothing for them.
Does the higher-spec'd version suddenly vanish? For example, a person watching a 1080p 60fps video of BF1 thinks of going PC. Same version is available for PS4 Pro, he just upgrades to PS4 Pro.

Unknown?

I don't see how they "keep those people within our ecosystem by giving them the very best and very highest performance quality" when they aren't really doing that compared to a half decent PC.

High quality is arguable but highest performance is laughable.

Not really when you consider The Order and Uncharted 4 were made on a 1.8 TF system. It's not running an OS like Windows therefore it's different.

inner-G

Banned
Mid-cycle?

Take the amount of time from PS4 launch to Pro launch, double it, boom - there's your PS5 launch date.

Giving console gamers the best performance by keeping the shit framerates and only appealing to the small fraction of those who actually own 4K TVs.

Yuuuuup

Kssio_Aug

I think the idea that the only thing a PC has to offer is graphical fidelity is really misguided.

And that's an interesting point, cause you're right.

Everything console developers have been doing is based on PC, they realize it or not. Allowing you to record games, stream videos, use 3rd party apps, etc. Everything is an attempt to do what PC has been doing for a long time, and way more efficiently.

Inuhanyou

Mid-cycle?

Take the amount of time from PS4 launch to Pro launch, double it, boom - there's your PS5 launch date.

That's true, but it is fairly obvious.

We already knew Sony wasn't getting rid of generations, and the point of the NEO is not to be that new generation device, and that 2019 was most likely the PS5 launch date even before we caught wind of the Slim.

30fps is high performance?

They upclocked the CPU, so your still getting higher performance as well as better graphics and fidelity than the base model

Pushing for image quality on a console is great! The PS4 Pro is exceptional value!

Too bad that it seems that some of the console's capabilities are being held back by it's CPU and the original PS4 though.

Graphics are also not the only thing that drives people to PC Gaming, but it's interesting to see that they view PC Gaming as a competitor.
They've been really open and supportive of PC Gaming for a long time.

Andrew House said that before E3 too, why is it just news now?

They have the product officially announced now and releasing soon.

Paasei

People who want to push the maximum out of graphics and performance will buy a PC regardless, so it's a weird statement.

I have a PS4 only for the exclusives that come out on it. Those are simply games I would never want to miss.

Also, a higher resolution doesn't cut it for me. Would rather see devs focus on 1080p 60fps.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
So it should actually be $400 + $1500 or whatever a proper 4K HDR capable tv costs to enjoy the "very best and very highest". And that's on top of the old console and tv.

I'm already buying a new TV in the next year so yeah that's a given and I'll be spending more than that. I don't need the beefy PC rig as much more of my time, my girlfriends, and my friends and family time is spent on front of the TV. I plan on getting a really nice one so I'll probably just get the PS4 Pro. It just makes more sense in my situation as so far I'm impressed with what I've seen. I'm waiting for reviews and more opinions on things like how loud it is which is often a sticking point for me as the PS4 can get loud quick!

Despite mostly upscaled 4k games (apparently native 4k in a few games is possible) the 4k upscaling method used (internal resolution higher than 1080p then upscaling to 4k) is very effective and gives great IQ, so for £349 / $399 it doesn't seem all that bad really.

So what if most games aren't native 4k ? I mean games like Horizon and Tomb Raider still look great and better than 1080p by quite a bit when using the Pros upscale method and the end result I see on the screen is all that should matter.

Purest 78

This.

So you care, but don't actually care.

There's a absolute misconception that console gamers don't care about Graphics. I remember being blown away by Mario coming from Atari. What I'm saying is Multiplats isn't enough to draw me to PC.

Graphics don't mean much if I'm missing the games I wanna play. So if I can play Horizon with better graphics I'm all in.

That's true, but it is fairly obvious.

We already knew Sony wasn't getting rid of generations, and the point of the NEO is not to be that new generation device, and that 2019 was most likely the PS5 launch date even before we caught wind of the Slim.

They upclocked the CPU, so your still getting higher performance as well as better graphics and fidelity than the base model

The quote was "highest"

overclocking a jaguar CPU a bit isn't going to help all that much.

diaspora

There's a absolute misconception that console gamers don't care about Graphics. I remember being blown away by Mario coming from Atari. What I'm saying is Multiplats isn't enough to draw me to PC.

Graphics don't mean much if I'm missing the games I wanna play. So if I can play Horizon with better graphics I'm all in.

Again, the only option for performance and fidelity is PC, the only option. If it doesn't matter, by all means buy a PS4.

Inuhanyou

Giving console gamers the best performance by keeping the shit framerates and only appealing to the small fraction of those who actually own 4K TVs.
Yuuuuup

If you expect any console to give you 60fps in the modern era as a general target, you'd better sit down cause i've got news for you.

And as we already know, 4K TV's are not the only TV's that significantly benefit from Pro, but its now a narrative so i guess its easier to parrot

outsida

I've always bought new consoles at the start of the new generations and then built or refreshed my PC build in the middle. What he is saying there was definitely true of the way I handled gaming on consoles and PC simultaneously.

I think the idea that the only thing a PC has to offer is graphical fidelity is really misguided.

He clearly doesn't know The Checklist.

Real PC gaming list:
Hentai mod Support for multiple titles even when not officially supported ✔️
Hentai Romhacks ✔️
Fastest, Most reliable gaming network and for free for hentai gaming ✔️
4K hentai BluRay support ✔️
4K hentai streaming ✔️
4K native hentai gaming ✔️
Greatest hentai games not found anywhere else ✔️
Marketshare of hentai games ✔️
Low power consumption when playing hentai games✔️@Cheap hentai game Prices ✔️
Constant hentai game creation ✔️

Find me a better list and prove me wrong. Oh wait, you can't.

Inuhanyou

The quote was "highest"

overclocking a jaguar CPU a bit isn't going to help all that much.

That's true, but if we're talking about the highest end experiences in console land, Pro has that all to itself for 12 months, so they can essentially keep saying that until Scorpio comes out.

Remember that devs can have the option to design their games as they want. TR Pro is getting a definitive edition like mode at 1080p for example, as well as an 'ultra PC settings' like mode aswell. So its not as cut and dried to say that its a fluff statement.

Top Bottom