• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sony says PC, not the Xbox, pushed it to create Ps4 Pro

He's absolutely right. Waiting 6+ years for new hardware makes gaming stale. Games really didnt improve much on PS3/360 after 2009, and we didnt get new consoles until 2013.

The Pro keeps things interesting while going out of its way to make sure PS4 owners arent left behind and still get the 6+ years they were expecting when they bought the console.

I'm sure they have their own data but I find the concept of someone sitting with their console 3 years into the cycle and going; "I don't have enough graphics on this thing! Time to build a PC!" not very common.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm sure they have their own data but I find the concept of someone sitting with their console 3 years into the cycle and going; "I don't have enough graphics on this thing! Time to build a PC!" not very common.

The huge arguments over FF15's downgrades on PS4 and XB1, as well as Witcher 3, Just cause 3, Fallout 4, and essentially every other multi-platform title generally stirs up these shit storms that i think Sony was probably looking at and thinking they could exploit with something like this.

People who look at DF comparisons and may not care about FPS, but look at the dropping frames from target and the bad IQ and think to themselves that they wished the machines could do a bit better.

kiguel182

Yet nearly all discussions about PC vs consoles are centered around graphics, all other aspects are minor in comparison.

That might be the case but it doesn't make it true.

I'm thinking about buying a PC and the reason isn't graphics. And the performance only comes into place because of some really bad performing games on consoles not because I need 60fps.

The PC as a platform has much more to offer than graphics that's for sure.

AHindD

wft are they talking about?
I consider myself a PC gamer first and foremost, and all the shit they've been pulling this past week has pushed me FURTHER away from considering a Playstation 4 Pro.

Sony, sort your fucking life out mate.

This is actually true for me.

When the 360 came out, I was all over it. Games looked amazing and it was way stronger than my PC, so I got all my games on it. Then the PC caught up and I started getting most of my games on PC, if available, because the graphics were better and it ran much smoother.

This time, I'm older now and paying rent/bills while having a young toddler means I don't have that extra $$ to blow on CPUs and GPUs so i'm fine with the consoles... BUT the release of the PS4 pro and upcoming Scorpio did actually hinder my desire to upgrade my PC because it'll cost more to upgrade it vs just buying the mid-cycle console.

THEIR PLAN WORKED!! for me at least :)

Unknown?

30fps is high performance?

Obviously I'm just saying it does pretty damn well for its power and that's an advantage consoles will always have. I'm not saying it'll compete with the best PCs that are out there but it will have pretty damn good looking visuals where the difference isn't big. Frame rate is always going to be panned for better effects in all but a few games.

I consider myself a PC gamer first and foremost, and all the shit they've been pulling this past week has pushed me FURTHER away from considering a Playstation 4 Pro.

Thats not even what he said...

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

They are not looking for PC gamers to come to console, your not looking at consoles anyway. Its the opposite. THey say specifically that they are looking at people already in the Sony ecosystem who may be looking at PC, and have to do a balance of pros and cons for Pro or PC.

Now that Sony are locking down their ecosystem even more with no cross XBox play and no mods and such, it makes sense for people who are fully invested in Sony's ecosystem to stay, while those waffling would leave, especially given that they didn't exactly sell the mid gen upgrade all that well.

Granted, i think Pro will still do well, but i think Sony blew a big chance to really make things clear to people about what they were doing with the device.

Paracelsus

You're not looking at this the right way. See, gen 7 dragged for far too long, therefore PS4 and XB1 were already hella outdated by the time they came out. Sony and Microsoft act coy, but they know, and the gap is only bound to get larger no matter the effort they put into it. They are desperately trying to mitigate the damage before the next architecture of gpu comes out, completely erasing them from the graphics race.

Bizzquik

Yes, of course the PC is a game-changer in how the console manufacturers operate.

PC used to be the proverbial third-wheel. Its games would typically be exclusive to its platform; not on consoles. Its market share on multi-plat releases was...fine. Not insignificant, but not cause for concern.

But now PC gaming is everywhere. Games release with controller support with broad optimizations, regardless of the player's budget. Players don't have to go through console makers to play amazing games.

That being the case, their relevancy becomes an issue if not addressed. The PS4 and XB1 weren't close to state of the art when they released in 2013. They would be ridiculously out-performed six years later. But now Sony and Microsoft can meet its customers half-way. Rather than get a nice video card, you can get a slightly-improved console and continue playing in the ecosystem you already love.

The hope, then, is that these mid-generation refreshes are a win-win. Time will tell. But what is already known is that the growth of PC has been disruptive for the console biz. Though obvious, I nonetheless appreciate the candor of his remarks.

jaypah

Makes sense. That's what got me into PC gaming. So I'm probably too far gone to get a Pro but they'll certainly retain some users from GAF at least. I only say GAF because I don't go to any other forums and don't read YouTube comments, I'm sure there are plenty of other gamers who will roll with Pro.

ArtHands

Thinks buying more servers can fix a bad patch
Context?

He's saying highest performance possible in the console space. Something that fits in the 200W max and $399 window.

I would say the Pro will compete nicely against a half decent PC.

Its not even offering the other advantages that the PC has, such as free online, backward compatibility with multiple gens of games.

In fact the free online has drastically cut down the cost difference between the two. A $750 PC is more powerful than a $399 console with 6 years of $60 for online.

jdmonmou

If they're trying to compete with PC then good luck with that.

My thoughts exactly.

If they want to compete with PC the best way to do that is to remove online multiplayer from the PS Plus subscription paywall and create more 1st party exclusive content. The resources they spent making the PS4 Pro could've probably been used to make a new game.

AHindD

They are not looking for PC gamers to come to console, your not looking at consoles anyway. Its the opposite. THey say specifically that they are looking at people already in the Sony ecosystem who may be looking at PC, and have to do a balance of pros and cons for Pro or PC.

Now that Sony are locking down their ecosystem even more with no cross XBox play and no mods and such, it makes sense for people who are fully invested in Sony's ecosystem to stay, while those waffling would leave, especially given that they didn't exactly sell the mid gen upgrade all that well.

Granted, i think Pro will still do well, but i think Sony blew a big chance to really make things clear to people about what they were doing with the device.

Ahh right, cheers for the clarification.
Keen to see how this all works out... I just dont see the PS4 Pro is 'enough' in the first place to really excite people to not consider other platforms.

Crackbone

As a PC and PS4 gamer I find the logic a simple one to follow.

House is right. There typically comes a point in my gaming (usually mid cycle) that the PC and console disparity is so great I won't even consider console gaming any longer. I really just cannot do it. Even the exclusives are so woefully behind graphically that it's a stretch to stomach it enough to play the game.

This gen is more about the services than the hardware. They want me to keep paying for PS+, buying addons and alike.

The PS4 Pro just might keep me playing console games longer through the gen. Therefore they keep that stream of revenue open that would've been long gone in past gens.

Quasar

I don't see how they "keep those people within our ecosystem by giving them the very best and very highest performance quality" when they aren't really doing that compared to a half decent PC.

High quality is arguable but highest performance is laughable.

Within a certain price envelop its probably closer to true. Sure you can build a PC with 2 1080's etc, but thats generally not the same audience who would have started with a console anyway.

Jumeira

Banned
So he acknowledges power and graphical capabilities IS the most important aspect from the data, so I'd like to know what posters here who try to downplay power of Scorpio as not being important feel. This is the head of PS mind, hes going out there to say otherwise.

LostDonkey

I think it's going to have the opposite effect tbh.

By the time you have finished with this gen you will have bought 2 ps4's at around $700 dollars plus the online fees at say 6 years. another 240 apx...

$940 on just the console ecosystem before any games or peripherals.

IMO you'd be much better off migrating to PC and staying there if this is the trend going forward.

Averon

I think it is less about competing with PC and more about preventing the bleeding of people already in the PlayStation ecosystem from moving on to PC. The PS4P doesn't have to compete with the highest end PC rigs. It just have provide enough of a boost to get people to second guess jumping exclusively to PC.

lantus

It's kind of freaky how ironic House's statement is. I think I fit his demographic perfectly; I literally finished building my first gaming pc a week ago, before I pretty much exclusively gamed on PS4.

Trojan

I still can't believe they're rocking that woefully under powered processor in the PS4 Pro. If you're going to upgrade the GPU by that much, you should bump the processor so it's not such a bottleneck.

It's kind of freaky how ironic House's statement is. I think I fit his demographic perfectly; I literally finished building my first gaming pc a week ago, before I pretty much exclusively gamed on PS4.

This was me exactly 4 months ago when I got back into PC gaming and got a rig.

Yeah, they've already lost me to pc gaming, so this makes sense. I used to be big into console gaming but once I moved to pc, I rarely touch my consoles now.

Rizific

“I saw some data that really influenced me,” House said. “It suggested that there’s a dip mid-console life cycle where the players who want the very best graphical experience will start to migrate to PC, because that’s obviously where it’s to be had.

exactly what happened to me during the 360/ps3 gen. its strange how they strictly said "graphical experience" when, for me at least, performance was also an enormous part of it. having a pc and ps3/360 next to each other to directly compare showed just how terrible that generation was. thats great that more powerful consoles are coming out mid-gen imo, but ive already seen the light. im not going back.

Widge

I think it is less about competing with PC and more about preventing the bleeding of people already in the PlayStation ecosystem from moving on to PC. The PS4P doesn't have to compete with the highest end PC rigs. It just have provide enough of a boost to get people to second guess jumping exclusively to PC.

That's what I came to say, and what it says in the op too. It's not about pulling people across from PC.

I still can't believe they're rocking that woefully under powered processor in the PS4 Pro. If you're going to upgrade the GPU by that much, you should bump the processor so it's not such a bottleneck.

It's already 400 dollars which is as high as they can realistically go, and they dont want to change it too much. Its still a PS4 and you dont want to alienate PS4 owners.

Before the Pro the OG PS4 already was this, so i don't see what the Pro changed in this regard.

Like House was saying, Xbox One isnt the point of this, its the fact that the PS4 experience gets more and more stale over time, they just need something to keep things fresh until the PS5 (or whatever they call it) comes out.

PaulBizkit

Still cant believe graphics matter THAT MUCH to a lot of people. If the ps4 never existed, and the ps3 was still getting games, I'd have no problem at all.

The graphics on the normal ps4 are still good.

Trago

Why they feel the need to compete with an open platform is beyond me. But if they feel that the Pro is what it takes for existing users not to make the jump, then more power to them.

jdmonmou

Why they feel the need to compete with an open platform is beyond me. But if they feel that the Pro is what it takes for existing users not to make the jump, then more power to them.

I think what they really want to do is sell more Sony Bravia TVs using the PS4 Pro as the motivator.

DSix

Banned
If they were really going after the PC crowd, they would mandate 60fps.

The pro looks a lot more like a corporate strategy to sell 4K tvs, which has nothing to do with that.

Synth

That's true, but if we're talking about the highest end experiences in console land, Pro has that all to itself for 12 months, so they can essentially keep saying that until Scorpio comes out.

Remember that devs can have the option to design their games as they want. TR Pro is getting a definitive edition like mode at 1080p for example, as well as an 'ultra PC settings' like mode aswell. So its not as cut and dried to say that its a fluff statement.

If you limit this to "highest performance in console land" then the original PS4 already had that space to itself until the Scorpio comes out.

Alo0oy

Banned
I don't see how they "keep those people within our ecosystem by giving them the very best and very highest performance quality" when they aren't really doing that compared to a half decent PC.

High quality is arguable but highest performance is laughable.

The people that jump ship don't suddenly buy a Titan X, they buy a budget gaming PC that outperforms the consoles. Your standard for "half a decent PC" does not reflect on the average PC gamer, as have every single survey showed.

Top Bottom