• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Don't Pre-Order Dishonored 2!" (Because there will be no pre-release review

NeoRaider

Our advice is the same as it has always been: Don’t pre-order games. Don’t give them any money until you’re comfortable with the reviews, YouTube coverage or message board discussion of the game. Bethesda wants your money more than anything else, and this is the company’s way of minimizing risk. Vote accordingly.

Full article about review copies being sent day before or on release day:

Bethesda wants your money before the reviews hit

but how else will i get the exclusive pre order bonus, corvo's butt scratcher and emily's slightly used half eaten apple

i currently have watch dogs 2 and DH2 on pre order but will probably cancel, because neither are part of best buy $10 preorder promo and i bet there will be a bunch of B2G1F game sales around the holidays

SJRB

Gold Member
Did they throw out this warning before Maffia III released?

This seems kinda random, or perhaps...

Yup.

It sucks seeing people disappointed on here over and over with their day 0 preloaded digital editions of stuff.

Just wait a tiny bit and make an educated purchase.

Nugg

"Don’t pre-order games" and "Don't pre-order Dishonored 2" are not the same message. Please be accurate when creating such threads.

They're not wrong but their horse in the race isn't about consumers not getting burned by the publishers. Their horse is ensuring that early review copies remain a thing so that sites like theirs can earn ad money from eager consumers on pre-release reviews.

CHC

Is there anything special about Dishonored that makes this message especially relevant here? Not seeing any particularly devious practices in play except for late review copies, which was also the case with DOOM (same publisher). Not a great situation but also clearly not always related to publishers having something to hide.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
I get a 20% discount for preordering games. What do I get from Polygon, pie charts?

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg

I'm honestly getting sick of people on the internet telling me how to spend my money. I feel like they treat me like a child

megalowho

I'm honestly getting sick of people on the internet telling me how to spend my money. I feel like they treat me like a child
Don't preorder videogames. Don't give companies your $60 sight unseen when they are perfectly comfortable releasing broken, buggy products because they know they've got you. Don't let pride get in the way of smart consumer decision making.

S1kkZ

they havent released a single second of console gameplay. and judging by the awful performance of the original game on ps360 (constant drops, tearing, slowdown when in combat), i expect the worst. i love the first game but i will wait for impressions on gaf and/or the digital foundry article.

and good on polygon for telling people not to pre-order...while htey are still hyping up the publishers games in previews.

Madness

They're not wrong but their horse in the race isn't about consumers not getting burned by the publishers. Their horse is ensuring that early review copies remain a thing so that sites like theirs can earn ad money from eager consumers on pre-release reviews.

Exactly. Polygon is looking out for its own self interest here first. Don't preorder games that won't give us early copies to review and play so that we can create articles and videos which we monetize and draw gamers towards.

It is like Roger Ebert (bless his soul) saying don't watch this movie until I have a chance to watch and tell you what I think first.

oldmario

i have no interest in dishonored 2 but i think polygon would be the last place i'd take advice on what to pre-order/purchase

Mesoian

Don't preorder videogames. Don't give companies your $60 sight unseen when they are perfectly comfortable releasing broken, buggy products because they know they've got you. Don't let pride get in the way of smart consumer decision making.

Or do.

But if your game ends up being broken at launch, don't go crying to GAF about it. We told you.

Wensih

Like always, the advice should be never preorder from a seller that has no form of refunding policy, not never preorder.

Dabanton

I haven't pre ordered a game for a while. I'm interested in Dishonored 2 but I can wait.

I usually wait a week now before I purchase any games. Especially if user impressions are thin on the ground. This is also why those EA 10 hour trials have been so good.

NeoRaider

they havent released a single second of console gameplay. and judging by the awful performance of the original game on ps360 (constant drops, tearing, slowdown when in combat), i expect the worst. i love the first game but i will wait for impressions on gaf and/or the digital foundry article.

Also every PC gameplay/trailer they released has horrible fps drops. It's very noticable.

Toli08

I will never understand why people still pre order games. Especially digital. If you know for sure you want the game you can just grab it the day before and still get the pre order bonus. There is never a reason to pre order something months before.

Top Bottom