• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Don't Pre-Order Dishonored 2!" (Because there will be no pre-release review

trikster40

Preorders can always be cancelled. I do it all the time. It's not like your preorder money goes straight into the company's pockets never to be seen again...unless your 100% digital. Definitely never preorder digitally.

Realistically, preorders help companies know the demand for their product. This cuts down on expenses, etc. With all the game devs closing as of late, anything we can do to help them cut down on costs should be looked at in a positive light.

Nepenthe

Is there any real point to pre-ordering most games anymore when more often than not you can just walk in and buy them anyway, or digitally download them the day of? Are the pre-order gifts really that good?

JP

Going on Polygon's history this probably means that everybody should be pre-ordering Dishonoured 2 as soon as possible.

My own advice, if you want to pre-order Dishonored 2, pre-order Dishonored 2. If you don't want to pre-order Dishonored 2, don't pre-order Dishonored 2.

abundant

they havent released a single second of console gameplay. and judging by the awful performance of the original game on ps360 (constant drops, tearing, slowdown when in combat), i expect the worst. i love the first game but i will wait for impressions on gaf and/or the digital foundry article.

Honestly, I played through The Definitive Edition and had no problem, so unless something went horribly wrong, I expect it to be about the same performance wise, which again, I was perfectly fine with.

Wensih

is cancelling preorders illegal in america now?

I think PSN doesn't allow cancellation, but that's an issue with preordering from a specific place, not preordering in general. If a game is a buggy mess and you preordered a copy and have not opened the product then you should be able to receive a refund.

aBarreras

so they are salty because, instead of people going to read their review and generate ad money for them, they will instead just buy the game and ignore the reviews?

Is there any real point to pre-ordering most games anymore when more often than not you can just walk in and buy them anyway, or digitally download them the day of? Are the pre-order gifts really that good?

Generally the discounts are greater during the pre-order period than at launch or immediately after.

Kaji AF16

After the monstrous disappointment that was Fallout 4, I tend to be more careful with pre-orders. Only a handful of very proven series are still worthy of my positive prejudice: Forza and Battlefield, for example.

Briarios

I will never understand why people still pre order games. Especially digital. If you know for sure you want the game you can just grab it the day before and still get the pre order bonus. There is never a reason to pre order something months before.

There is really no reason not to from a lot of retailers. Someplace like Amazon gives you a 20% discount, release day delivery and doesn't charge you until it ships. Best Buy routinely offers $10 in GC along with the 20% off for new games when you pre-order ... and, you can always just not open it and return it if the reviews are so bad that you don't want to play it.

For some smaller publishers, pre-orders determine the print run -- so, not pre-ordering can mean missing out or paying reseller costs.

I wouldn't pre-order digital on something like PSN because of the lack of refunds, but Steam is pretty fair.

Just like anything -- be wise in how you do it, and it can benefit you as a consumer. Be unwise, and you'll get bit in the butt.

cyba89

Come click on our articles and give us more ad revenue before buying a thing

I get a 20% discount for preordering games. What do I get from Polygon, pie charts?

Of course there is already Polygon shitting totally unrelated to the topic at hand. Classy.

so they are salty because, instead of people going to read their review and generate ad money for them, they will instead just buy the game and ignore the reviews?

Of course. That must me it...

Madness

I will never understand why people still pre order games. Especially digital. If you know for sure you want the game you can just grab it the day before and still get the pre order bonus. There is never a reason to pre order something months before.

Well if you can never understand than there is no point in trying to tell you. Quite often now preorder or day one editions have exclusive content, they also now have discounts. In the US prime preorders on Amazon are cheaper, in Canada we often get $30 off of launch prices if we preorder from sites like Best Buy or Amazon. Companies know this. So it is either spend almost 30% more to buy a game we always wanted, miss out on potential content we'd want etc. Or preorder and get all that. Some preorders suck which is why companies get called out or the game stumbles.

Schlorgan

I like doing it through Amazon so I can get the game the day of release and get 20% off. Them and Origin don't charge me until the game comes out though and it's easy to cancel. I try to avoid pre-ordering through Steam or digitally on Xbox (except for first-party stuff).

Granjinha

Come click on our articles and give us more ad revenue before buying a thing

really?

What if I don't need a review to determine whether I'm buying a game, eh Polygon?

check impressions, read comments, watch youtube videos

i don't think it's hard that to grasp what they mean.

or go ahead and pre-order, it's your money, but yeah, the message behind that is pretty crystal clear

It's called "Fuck you got mine" mentality.

It's why minority Trump supporters exist too.

that's one of the most nonsense posts i have ever read on this forum

and there have been a LOT. You're up there, though.

I could have told you that before this news came out.

You get it for $10 less. Worst case preorder and then cancel the shipment if reviews are bad.

Wensih

Limited physical editions like Fire Emblem Fates is a good incentive ($80 preorder that now goes for $249 on amazon market). Otherwise preloading on steam so you don't have to wait hours after purchase for large download, and steam has a return policy.

Madness

It's called "Fuck you got mine" mentality.

It's why minority Trump supporters exist too.

How you make the leap from people who preorder games to it being a 'fuck you got mine mentality' and why Trump voters exist, I'll never know. Trump voter is now the new Fox News watcher isn't it. 'He probably watched Fox News too' just a few years back. Christ.

For a lot of us, preordering promises us lower prices, greater content, especially in non American markets.

S1kkZ

Honestly, I played through The Definitive Edition and had no problem, so unless something went horribly wrong, I expect it to be about the same performance wise, which again, I was perfectly fine with.

i meant the ps3-360 version in 2012. definitive ed. was mostly fine. but that was a port of a 4 year old last gen title.

It's a valid suggestion. You should only preorder if you won't be bitter if the game disappoints which isn't easy for people. I enjoy got three games preordered and I am certain that I will get what I expect from it.

Head.spawn

Or do.

But if your game ends up being broken at launch, don't go crying to GAF about it. We told you.

How often do reviewers let people know about serious issues though? BF4 and TMCC both got hand-waved through, tons of other busted games.

JP

I'm sure the fact that they recommend that people wait to read reviews and watch YouTube videos has nothing to do with the fact that they make money from people reading reviews and watching YouTube videos.

Linkura

Most of the games I purchase have already been released in Japan for quite some time and already have ample reviews and impressions from Gaffers. So I'll preorder those that I'm interested in. For games that weren't previously released in Japan or other regions, I generally don't preorder.

megalowho

So many folks itching to get their Polygon dig in. Replace "review sites" with "GAF impressions" if you've got no sympathy for their business model. Not that hard.

aBarreras

Of course there is already Polygon shitting totally unrelated to the topic at hand. Classy.

Of course. That must me it...

i mean, fans of the game obviously will prroblaby pre order it, and not fans will wait for the reviews? so why is this an article? i dont know

Nepenthe

Generally the discounts are greater during the pre-order period than at launch or immediately after.

What are discounts usually like in terms of like a $60+ game, and does pre-order cancellation come with any potential drawbacks? I don't buy too many games already so I have less inhibition about splurging on the ones I do really want whenever that time comes, thus I'm not sure even a $10 decrease would get me to pre-order anything, especially in the event that the game arrives in a broken state and there I am with a lemon.

Limited physical editions like Fire Emblem Fates is a good incentive ($80 preorder that now goes for $249 on amazon market). Otherwise preloading on steam so you don't have to wait hours after purchase for large download, and steam has a return policy.

Super-awesome limited physical editions I sorta understand for, but a lot of these pre-orders don't even come with those kinds of sets (I don't want a poster D8<). Regardless, it seems the most beneficial on Steam, but aren't their refunding policies kind of naff, especially in light of the NMS debacle?

Petrae

They're not wrong but their horse in the race isn't about consumers not getting burned by the publishers. Their horse is ensuring that early review copies remain a thing so that sites like theirs can earn ad money from eager consumers on pre-release reviews.

The right answer.

No early reviews means less traffic for Polygon. Best way to combat this is to demand that readers not preorder and wait to read their review before buying.

Problem is that video game consumers, by and large, are an impatient lot and are happy with streamers just showing them the games without in-depth analysis or criticism. "Yup. Looks good! Getting this on launch day."

Traditional, critical video game reviews will have to come later. If consumers are really on the fence, they'll wait and review post-launch reviews before buying. By then, though, the Day One crowd has had a chance to follow through on their purchases without the risk of potentially bad press to steer them away.

Top Bottom