• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Don't Pre-Order Dishonored 2!" (Because there will be no pre-release review

Briarios

Reading an article is free and takes a few minutes, if it saves you from wasting time and money on a shit game, how is that a bad thing?

It depends on your point of view, doesn't it? It's not really free if you consider your personal information yours -- when you click to view their article, you give them tons of demographic information, data on where you came from, where you're going, you subject yourself to advertising. To some people, that cost is too much; to other people, they just don't care.

Kinda like pre-ordering games -- some people it seems like a good deal, others can't understand it. It's not hard to see how people's values vary.

ArjanN

I'll preorder if it's something I'm willing to take the gamble on. If it does turn out bad or buggy you won't hear me crying about it.

Also Steam has refunds anyway.

People forgot about Fallout 4 real quick.

Fallout 4 was actually developed by Bethesda though, so IMO it was obvious it was going to be buggy and a bad RPG beforehand.

Don't preorder videogames. Don't give companies your $60 sight unseen when they are perfectly comfortable releasing broken, buggy products because they know they've got you. Don't let pride get in the way of smart consumer decision making.

Things are getting strange knowing there are people on the internet telling me how to spend my money nowadays. Especially when it comes a game made by a dev that didn't disappoint me yet

But hey, you aren't wrong. I just feel its strange I should take advice from random people.

What are discounts usually like in terms of like a $60+ game, and does pre-order cancellation come with any potential drawbacks? I don't buy too many games already so I have less inhibition about splurging on the ones I do really want whenever that time comes, thus I'm not sure even a $10 decrease would get me to pre-order anything, especially in the event that the game arrives in a broken state and there I am with a lemon.

I've seen games as low as $45 prior to release on places like GMG with discount codes that only work on pre-orders, and once the game is released, the code doesn't work.

NeoRaider

I'm sure the fact that they recommend that people wait to read reviews and watch YouTube videos has nothing to do with the fact that they make money from people reading reviews and watching YouTube videos.

Just like some developers and publishers are making money hyping and pre selling broken, poorly optimized games, right?

Voras

Come click on our articles and give us more ad revenue before buying a thing

Polygon's ads have gotten pretty aggressive, two giant banner ads before you even get to any content. The only upside is that they aren't dropping ads in the middle of the article like some sites. Still, I can't imagine ads are very successful when there are so many of them cluttering up the site.

They are right though, pre-ordering games is pretty risky.

What are discounts usually like in terms of like a $60+ game, and does pre-order cancellation come with any potential drawbacks? I don't buy too many games already so I have less inhibition about splurging on the ones I do really want whenever that time comes, thus I'm not sure even a $10 decrease would get me to pre-order anything, especially in the event that the game arrives in a broken state and there I am with a lemon.

In Canada (dunno about in the US) pre ordered games during E3 would give you a 20% discount, and since games have been $80 here for a while that's a decent incentive. Now that all new games are 20% off with prime anyway, that shit doesn't matter anymore but for the past 2 years I've preordered a few games because of it.

tci

What if you're comfortable buying the product sight unseen? What then, Polygon?
Then you are not a smart man.

Come click on our articles and give us more ad revenue before buying a thing
At least they are doing their job, reporting issues with review copies etc. Media today are so shitty they don't inform or report shit until it happens.

I see so many uninformed people buying into marketing it is not even funny anymore. Don't ever pre-order. Even if you have a discount, because buying shit is still not worth it. Let devs learn that you cannot be exploited this easily.

Budi

My latest pre-order was Mafia 3, it didn't disappoint. I will propably pre-order Dishonored 2 also. Wan't to get those sweet pre-order deals! And I mean, there's no knowing if I like the game or not before I try it. So what does it help if I wait for reviews? Gaf hype and positive reviews made me buy Dragon's Dogma PC release, uninstalled after 2 hours.

Don't pre-order games and don't buy into big gaming outlet reviews either.
Just read opinions of average persons such as the ones posted in the mid forum.

Too late. :p

I'm very confident it will be a good game though. And if it isn't, it will be an ambitious mess and I enjoy playing those too.

Zaventem

Disagree with telling people you shouldn't be preordering. Some companies have a pedigree you can feel safely about giving your money.

Caayn

Can't remember the last time I pre-ordered and I intend to keep it that way.
In this day and age, pre-ordering doesn't make any sense to begin with.
Worthless pre-order bonuses do strange things to people.

I dare to bet that practically most of those trinkets would be in the base game if people didn't pre-order like mad men.

rockyt

Regardless of what they say I think pre-ordering is dumb. Too many people get caught up in hype basically the commercials and ads worked on them. It's better to wait and see the opinions of others on board and reviews first. Buying stuff and regretting it is all to common nowadays.

Toxi

Banned
Disagree with telling people you shouldn't be preordering. Some companies have a pedigree you can feel safely about giving your money.
Even for companies like that, you absolutely should not take that chance unless you are fully willing to be burned. A pedigree is not a guarantee.

Wensih

Discounts are typically 20% off the game before tax. Honestly you could just wait a few months for the majority of cases for an even more signficant price drop, unless it will have a limited supply. I had preordered DQVII for this reason. I really wish I had the opportunity to preorder fire emblem fates.

As for return policies and charging it varies from place to place, but most will let you make a return if the game is unopened. If the store doesn't then this is a huge problem with the store not the preordering system.

Tagyhag

How you make the leap from people who preorder games to it being a 'fuck you got mine mentality' and why Trump voters exist, I'll never know. Trump voter is now the new Fox News watcher isn't it. 'He probably watched Fox News too' just a few years back. Christ.

For a lot of us, preordering promises us lower prices, greater content, especially in non American markets.

Not all Trump supporters, just the minority ones.

I'm not saying "Oh you pre-order games, you're probably a Trump supporter" Yes that's dumb.

I'm saying "Oh you pre-order games, you're probably thinking about only yourself and not gamers as a community"

And that's your right.

that's one of the most nonsense posts i have ever read on this forum

and there have been a LOT. You're up there, though.

You could try proving me wrong. I don't see how preordering a game is "All for one" instead of "One for all".

Then you are not a smart man.

At least they are doing their job, reporting issues with review copies etc. Media today are so shitty they don't inform or report shit until it happens.

I see so many uninformed people buying into marketing it is not even funny anymore. Don't ever pre-order. Even if you have a discount, because buying shit is still not worth it. Let devs learn that you cannot be exploited this easily.

tci
Knows what's best for you

alr1ght

bish gets all the credit :)
employed by polygon
0140_yopy3.gif

kobu

With best buy gcu right now I can pre order a game for $50 get $10 credit for pre ordering and if I trade it in within the first month they'll give you $42 credit for it.

lt519

Yeah their article about not preordering during E3 is generally more applicable and less agenda driven (which they linked to).

But yeah, I'll never not order a 3D Mario game until I get burnt bad, but there are very few developers I trust like that.

This thread title is hyperbole and it doesnt target Dishonored 2 alone.

Dont pre-order games in general especially Bethesda games.

Some Nobody

But I also want to make free / pre-release press copies a thing of the past.

This sounds petty.

Or do.

But if your game ends up being broken at launch, don't go crying to GAF about it. We told you.

And this is accurate. So much pointless nerd rage that I don't wanna hear. You could've done your research but instead you were too busy telling everyone not to tell you how to spend your money. Well, you bought a $60 L.

Not all Trump supporters, just the minority ones.

I'm not saying "Oh you pre-order games, you're probably a Trump supporter" Yes that's dumb.

I'm saying "Oh you pre-order games, you're probably thinking about only yourself and not gamers as a community"

And that's your right.

I just wanna play games man, now I have to think about the community too :(

Keeping it real though the only game I regret pre ordering in the past 2 years is No Man's Sky, and I've bought probably 80% of western AAA games

I've probably preordered 20 games this gen and only felt regret about Uncharted 4, which reviewed incredibly well.

Keeping my preorder. With best buy gamers club and release day delivery I don't mind.

Hatty

There was is never an excuse to preorder a game digitally. Rare exemptions can be made for physical if supply is feared to be low like for a console launch

Aters

With all the bonus and discounts, it's hard to not pre-order games. I did my part by only pre-ordering one game this year: BF1.

Top Bottom