• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Don't Pre-Order Dishonored 2!" (Because there will be no pre-release review

Wensih

If there's no money being saved preordering is dumb

There are certain cases when it's still beneficial. Sweeping generalizations about preordering games and the people who preorder games is the only thing dumb in every thread about this topic.

I preorder games on amazon with the E3 33% discount. If they look crap as release nears, I cancel. Either way I get the game at a discount or I dodge a bullet. In the past 3 years I've managed to get only one turd, the bioshock collection. That's it.

Krabboss

Come click on our articles and give us more ad revenue before buying a thing

Are you saying you prefer to pay for things before knowing whether they're good or not? Smart! Video game companies will love your preorderin ass.

There are certain cases when it's still beneficial. Sweeping generalizations about preordering games and the people who preorder games is the only thing dumb in every thread about this topic.

Preordering games is categorically an unwise thing to do.

Tagyhag

I just wanna play games man, now I have to think about the community too :(

Keeping it real though the only game I regret pre ordering in the past 2 years is No Man's Sky, and I've bought probably 80% of western AAA games

Lol and that's your right, you just have to understand that some things that people do don't benefit everyone. People vote with their wallet from different view points.

breakfuss

Come click on our articles and give us more ad revenue before buying a thing

comeon.png

Not sure why this is a bad thing. GAF runs on ad revenue too but ok.

And, even if I do pre-order (because sometimes the GCU rewards are fantastic) I do not pick that shit up until I've read or seen impressions. Last time I did that was with NMS and I got fucking burned. Badly. Still hurts.

It depends on your point of view, doesn't it? It's not really free if you consider your personal information yours -- when you click to view their article, you give them tons of demographic information, data on where you came from, where you're going, you subject yourself to advertising. To some people, that cost is too much; to other people, they just don't care.

Kinda like pre-ordering games -- some people it seems like a good deal, others can't understand it. It's not hard to see how people's values vary.

Absurd comparison, especially when comparing it to a real money value.

You will be advertised to, regardless of what website you visit. If having ads tailored to your browsing history is a "cost" you can still not pay it by disabling tracking options in your browser and clearing your browsing history.

Wensih

The only thing unwise about it to me is spending $50 on a game that will be $30 in 3-6months, but this is more of a buying games during a launch window issue than a preordering issue.

It's also a personal economic value issue that will vary individually.

Schlorgan

It is a good advice but when there are so many AAA games coming out soon / already came out, why single out Dishonored in the title?

Because they just announced that reviewers won't get copies until the day before launch, which is always a sketchy move by a publisher.

Dishonored 2 comes out on Friday/a Uni day...so I won't pre order it because I won't have a chance to play it during the day...I'll just buy it when I get home provided I don't have a shit ton of work to do and can relax a bit over the weekend.

That said I have faith in Arkane, it'd sort of break my heart if Dishonored 2 is some gutted awful product....then again while Mankind Divided was hardly awful I felt (comparatively) so disappointed in how it had been cut down that I still love Eidos Montreal but I feel a bit less hyped for a future Deus Ex game.

Kacho

It is a good advice but when there are so many AAA games coming out soon / already came out, why single out Dishonored in the title?

Probably because Bethesda put out that statement today about not sending out advanced review copies for DH2 and Skyrim SE.

Fury451

Banned

Because it's not doing early reviews unlike a lot of AAA games. No advanced reviews is quickly becoming gaming's scarlet letter or something.

I personally don't see the fuss. People can make their own choices with their own money if they want to pre-order it or not. Frequently you see people on this very forum say that they don't trust reviews other than Gaf or hands on impressions, and end up playing the games themselves; they either love it or hate it regardless of what was said about it professionally anyway. The difference is the amount that was spent. If people want to drop money and take that risk early, that's up to them.

Hey Polygon here's an idea. Let people buy the things they want to buy and stop telling people what to do. You are not the final arbiter of good taste, or anything else. If I were interested in this game I would buy it and try it for myself. I don't need anyone from your site to give me permission.

Vaz

Neo Member
I've been against pre-ordering for a few years now. I think it's ok to make an exception for your favorite series, especially if it's prone to selling out. I wouldn't recommend any preorder of digital more than say 3 days ahead of release. I understand some people want to download the bits early, which is allowed usually. For physical, unless it's a massive AAA game that is expected to sell out, don't pre-order unless your getting a good deal or you can't do without the bonus trinkets. Hardware is ok to pre-order, that shit will sell out and it might not be available for months, especially around the holidays.

lt519

This'll sound like a weird post..

If there is money involved, which there is for some, statistically speaking if you bet on established developers and 4 out of 5 are good you technically break even and can still sell the fifth. I'm pretty sure I can confidently pick 5 games Nintendo will develop for the Switch that I'll enjoy and take advantage of a 20% discount.

Obviously can use Amazon ($100 sub fee kinda removes this option for some) and buy it after reviews with 20% but sometimes playing day one and the rush that is involved in the communities exploration of a game together is fun enough to take that risk.

What if you're comfortable buying the product sight unseen? What then, Polygon?

That's the thing for me. Preordering isn't inherently bad. It is inherently risky, which is a different thing. If you understand and are comfortable with the risk, then there's no issue.

I've been against pre-ordering for a few years now. I think it's ok to make an exception for your favorite series

If you're "against preordering, except if it's something you like", then you're not against preordering.

Oneself

I preorder games on amazon with the E3 33% discount. If they look crap as release nears, I cancel. Either way I get the game at a discount or I dodge a bullet. In the past 3 years I've managed to get only one turd, the bioshock collection. That's it.
Yep, same here. In fact, if the game is crap I sell it on kijiji on day 1-2 at around 70$ and make about 10$ profit.

Don't preorder unless you can get your money back. Wait until you see enough reviews or whatever to decide then pick it up. I don't know why people think they can't just leave the money there and come back to it.

For online retailers and digital, that becomes an issue, but for the former at least use a place with a return policy that's good like Amazon.

Schlorgan

That's the thing for me. Preordering isn't inherently bad. It is inherently risky, which is a different thing. If you understand and are comfortable with the risk, then there's no issue.

I felt pretty comfortable preordering BF1, DOOM and Gears 4 and that's worked out great. NMS burned me but that was my fault; I wasn't even that interested in it, I just got caught up in the zeitgeist. I rarely get burned by preorders because I'm usually really selective about what I preorder.

I will never understand why people still pre order games. Especially digital. If you know for sure you want the game you can just grab it the day before and still get the pre order bonus. There is never a reason to pre order something months before.

I will never understand how people still not aware of the steam refunds policy.

psyfi

Banned
Seems fair. I only pre-order games in my favorite series that I know I'm gonna play no matter how rough they are. Zelda, Halo, and Pokémon... And that's about it. Even then I don't bother sometimes, especially with Pokémon.

Krabboss

The only thing unwise about it to me is spending $50 on a game that will be $30 in 3-6months, but this is more of a buying games during a launch window issue than a preordering issue.

It's also a personal economic value issue that will vary individually.

Actually, the unwise thing is committing any amount of money to a product that you have no idea about besides what the publisher has told you. Availability isn't an issue, even for niche games.

Preordering is a thing that benefits the retailer and the publisher. It isn't beneficial for the consumer.

I will never understand how people still not aware of the steam refunds policy.

You're still dumping money with nothing to show for it until release day, in that case. It's a digital product with endless availability, it makes just as little sense to stake your claim on one of those copies before release as it does preordering physical copies.

Lol I can preorder what I want and BestBuy has GREAT benefits when you pre order games. I can pretty much not pay a dime for the next game i want with all the Bestbuy certz i have from preorders.

Because it's not doing early reviews unlike a lot of AAA games.

Probably because Bethesda put out that statement today about not sending out advanced review copies for DH2 and Skyrim SE.

Because they just announced that reviewers won't get copies until the day before launch, which is always a sketchy move by a publisher.

I see. Thx.

Did they post the same reminder before the recent Mafia III and not so recent No Man's Sky?

I don't mean they must have an agenda against DH2 or Bethesda. But the aggressive title could be worded better about the issue in general.

JABEE

This is probably good advice, but it's weird to single out one game or publisher when the motive appears to be clinging onto Polygon's failed business model.

Company's have always sent out games at their discretion often out of necessity. If your content relies on the benevolence of the people you cover, then you're screwed when they no longer need you.

Actually, the unwise thing is committing any amount of money to a product that you have no idea about besides what the publisher has told you. Availability isn't an issue, even for niche games.

Preordering is a thing that benefits the retailer and the publisher. It isn't beneficial for the consumer.

Depending on where you preorder, you don't have to commit shit. It's still your money unless your vendor is ass.

And those discounts benifit me sooo

Don’t give them any money until you’re comfortable with the reviews, YouTube coverage or message board discussion of the game
And God forbid don't ever try something and develop your own opinion on something. Rather, let us spoon-feed it to you or perhaps watch a notable Youtube celebrity scream for 30 minutes while the game runs in the background.

RedSwirl

The only time/reason I pre-order anyway is because of GMG's coupons letting me get new AAA games for $47, and that's usually like three days before the game comes out.. I guess I did kinda get burned on No Man's Sky and Street Fighter V though.

Wensih

I'm not committing any money.... It's a place holder purchase that doesn't charge your card until shipment and a standard refund policy is in place if i choose to return the game based on reviews.

I'm extremely glad I preordered Xenoblade Chronicles before it shot to $100+ due to limited stock. I'm extremely frustrated I didn't preorder or had the chance to grab Fire Emblem Fates Special Edition (the one with all content on the cart to bypass Nintendo's archaic eshop system) because now the game costs $250.

Portugeezer

Gold Member
I felt pretty comfortable preordering BF1, DOOM and Gears 4 and that's worked out great. NMS burned me but that was my fault; I wasn't even that interested in it, I just got caught up in the zeitgeist. I rarely get burned by preorders because I'm usually really selective about what I preorder.

Same, and I mostly order online to get the best deals and if you want it at launch you pretty much have to order ahead of time.

I see. Thx.

Did they post the same reminder before the recent Mafia III and not so recent No Man's Sky?

I don't mean they must have an agenda against DH2 or Bethesda. But the aggressive title could be worded better about the issue in general.

Yeah Mafia 3 didn't have early review copies. Don't remember NMS, but that got a huge patch on day 1 so reviewers waited (except one i believe).

lt519

It's almost like a high profile example of tons of people getting burned by preorders has made people more aware that preordering a game is kinda dumb.

To be fair polygon has been shouting this for a while. They even linked to an article this E3 about it and articles about Sega and EA with Alien:Isolation and Battlefield:Hardline. They aren't necessarily picking on Bethesda, but almost certainly No Man's Sky has a lot to do with this one :)

Kyrios

Uh yeah their review wouldn't be any factor into whether or not I purchase Dishonored 2 or any game for that matter.

SenkiDala

I feel comfortable making my own decisions but thanks for the concern!

Exactly...

And I mean, fuck you Polygon and all those reviewers who do a shitty job, reviewing the games in shitty situations (in hotel or things like that), being misleading, unprofessional, having abysimal lack of knoledge of what their talking about, not completing games before finishing their reviews... Seriously.

Top Bottom