• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Polygon: "Don't Pre-Order Dishonored 2!" (Because there will be no pre-release review

abundant

Seems fair. I only pre-order games in my favorite series that I know I'm gonna play no matter how rough they are. Zelda, Halo, and Pokémon... And that's about it. Even then I don't bother sometimes, especially with Pokémon.

That's basically what I do to. If it is in a series I really like, I pre order it. I'm one of the few who doesn't notice frame drops (unless they're really bad) or screen tearing, so performance is rarely an issue for me. Hell, I'm a big fan of Bethesda's RPGs, so that should tell you something.

Nzyme32

I'm not reading polygon's article - but the statement from Bethesda suggests waiting to purchase if you wait are waiting for reviews first. Which is exactly what you should be doing in the first place unless you are happy with the refund time period limits of something like Steam

Fury451

Banned
I see. Thx.

Did they post the same reminder before the recent Mafia III and not so recent No Man's Sky?

I don't mean they must have an agenda against DH2 or Bethesda. But the aggressive title could be worded better about the issue in general.

No, and I think that that undermines their message but that's happened before. Singling out one particular thing that really has nothing to do with the greater concern that they're trying to address doesn't really have a great look to it.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
I get a 20% discount for preordering games. What do I get from Polygon, pie charts?

mario_kart_pie_chart.jpg
You can get the same discount NOT preordering as well at Amazon or Best Buy.

I think pretty much everyone in the industry advises not to preorder. Giant Bomb is one example. I couldn't agree more. But hey, a fool and his money.

tci

Hey Polygon here's an idea. Let people buy the things they want to buy and stop telling people what to do. You are not the final arbiter of good taste, or anything else. If I were interested in this game I would buy it and try it for myself. I don't need anyone from your site to give me permission.
Read the article. It is not about taste. It is about review copies not getting into the hands of reviewers in time to inform consumers about the state of the game. I fail to understand how you can be so mad at them warning consumers about these issues. Some of you are really being childish and arrogant.

Not sure why the thread title doesn't just match the article's title, this seems to steer the conversation toward the usual irrational Polygon hate.

Anyway, I'm torn on this. From a purely business perspective, if Doom proved that it doesn't make a difference for the vast majority of consumers, there's not really a reason for them to not do this, I guess. But clearly it sucks as an Informed Consumer.

Article being published few hours after the Bethesda blog post.
Emily + D2 video + Mentioned 2 or 3 in the article.

Not sure what else do you need.

D2 was mentioned once by Polygon. The other mention is the quote of the Bethesda PR. Skyrim is mentioned more including a discussion of the current Youtube streams.

Menitta

I won't preorder Dishonored 2 because I didn't like the first.

I will preorder Pokémon Moon because I'm not going to go to the store the day a Pokémon game comes out.

Shredderi

Pretty damn sound advice. I mean, it's logical. I have yet to hear a real argument against this advice that doesn't blatantly come from a place of emotion.

steven28

Hey Polygon here's an idea. Let people buy the things they want to buy and stop telling people what to do. You are not the final arbiter of good taste, or anything else. If I were interested in this game I would buy it and try it for myself. I don't need anyone from your site to give me permission.
Completely agree with this.I can't stand people who tell others what to do.

Toxi

Banned
For every DOOM 2016, there's a Sonic Boom: Rise of Lyric.

Pray you get the former instead of the latter.

Wensih

Pretty damn sound advice. I mean, it's logical. I have yet to hear a real argument against this advice that doens't blatantly come from a place of emotion.

A limited physical release.
Preloading digital releases.
No money down.
Standard return policies and cancellations.

iddqd

I understand where they are coming from, getting all the traffic from hyped up people is nicer then getting nearly no buzz when most people have already played the game themselves or just took a look at steam reviews.

Just another thing where media outlets have to focus on higher quality pieces or have to be OK with writing half-assed "early reviews" to get some attention.

megalowho

This is probably good advice, but it's weird to single out one game when the motive appears to be clinging onto Polygon's failed business model.

Company's have always sent out games at their discretion often out of necessity. If your content relies on the benevolence of the people you cover, then you're screwed when they no longer need you.
Yet they they still happily rely on those outlets for preview coverage to build hype. Here's the current review quotes on Dishonored 2's Steam page:

F2m81WU.jpg

They want to market games up until release using the vague positivity of previews of an unfinished product, but not critical assessment that actually helps consumers make their purchasing decisions. It's shady, no matter your personal stance on preordering.

Psykoboy2

I pre-order the special editions. Usually because they can and do sell out. Without restock. Destiny Ghost edition comes to mind. As does that PSVR bundle package - though it will get restocked eventually, I still got it on day one. There was also a certain edition of Last Of Us that sold out and now goes for quite a bit of money on eBay. I'll never agree with the stance of telling people not to pre-order games. I'll never agree to the stance of telling people how to spend their money. Any review site would be writing much of the same article because those reviews are their cash cows. News is regurgitated and every site has the story whatever it may be, but reviews are their unique offering to the public. It gets them the clicks and the hits and that goes a long way, especially on the higher profile games.

And I don't even know if that matters, really, cause even in a time when sites get games weeks in advance, you've always got someone who goes against the tide of everyone else. And sure, you could say it's due to their genuine opinion of the game, but in a sea of 9/10's, more people will click on the lone 6/10 to see what went wrong. I don't pay attention to reviews anymore. And there's a VERY select few YouTubers I'll watch (hey there ACG!). For me, if I'm on the fence about a game I go to redbox or find a thread on a forum (hey there GAF!) and see what people are saying.

This article comes off a bit salty, but then again, I'm not all that fond of Kuchera's articles to begin with so maybe I'm the salty one here.

I mean, its sound advice. Don't know how anyone can get the shits with advocating something that game consumers really need to take heed of. Preordering game really isn't consumer friendly, honestly.

Love your avatar picture. I'm sure your unbiased in any way towards this series.

Is it a crime to be a fan of a game series nowadays? Besides, all humans are biased in some ways.

Would it make you feel any better if they ban pre-ordering games forever?

Nibiru

Banned
E3 deals have been very good to me so I'll keep on utilizing them as long as it's worth it. You can always return an opened game if the reviews are terrible and you want to. I haven't done that much but off the top of my head I remember doing it with Mario Tennis on Wii U.

Boke1879

Just my two cents. Consumers have kinda pushed this practice in this direction as well.

Most people probably get their info from trailers, twitch and youtube when it comes to games these days. I mean I can't blame a company holding back review copies of their game if there is potential for them to lose money.

It's best for them to send their game to a youtuber or twitch streamer and get exposure that way. Like I'm sure Pewdiepie playing TLG did more for that game than reviews ever could.

Not saying it's right or wrong, but how we got here isn't shocking.

Krabboss

That's nice but I don't have to wait. And once again I can just refund or return so why should I wait?

Because I also doubt you're playing these games one minute after they launch. Why not wait? Are you that upset about spending 2 minutes to purchase a digital code after launch instead of before?

Unfortunately your guarantee doesn't match up with reality.

Mmm, actually it does.

You could preorder Civ 6 for 20% off a month+ ago. You know what you can buy it for now? 20% off. Anecdotal sure, but as a person who checks out game sales I've never not been bombarbed with post launch price wars.

JABEE

Yet they they still happily rely on those outlets for preview coverage to build hype. Here's the current review quotes on Dishonored 2's Steam page:

F2m81WU.jpg

They want to market games up until release using the vague positivity of previews of an unfinished product, but not critical assessment that actually helps consumers make their purchasing decisions. It's shady, no matter your personal stance on preordering.

And outlets shouldn't give out E3 awards. All these places have been suckered into handing out these endorsements.

These awards and endorsements also give outlets power, so it's a responsibility that should be respected and doled out with actual care and restrictions.

Bethesda's explanation is bullshit and should be called out, but this should not be removed from the context of the negotiation that is already happening.

Overboost

Nice try, Polygon. This is my potential GOTY behind Modern Warfare Remastered and I like saving 20%. There's no way Arkane screws this up, much less badly enough that it isn't worth $48.

Wensih

Because I also doubt you're playing these games one minute after they launch. Why not wait? Are you that upset about spending 2 minutes to purchase a digital code after launch instead of before?

Mmm, actually it does.

You could preorder Civ 6 for 20% off a month+ ago. You know what you can buy it for now? 20% off. Anecdotal sure, but as a person who checks out game sales I've never not been bombarbed with post launch price wars.

Can you find me a copy of Fire Emblem Fates SE for 20% off the original MSRP?

joebruin

Nice try, Polygon. This is my potential GOTY behind Modern Warfare Remastered and I like saving 20%. There's no way Arkane screws this up, much less badly enough that it isn't worth $48.

assuming you're talking bout Amazon or BB GCU you don't really need to pre-order to get that discount though.

Kyrios

But general word of mouth and impressions from the community would be a factor right?

I still just go with my gut and by gameplay videos, rarely do I say "Well I screwed up here". But I do pay attention to what others are saying as far as any game breaking bugs or performance issues that are missed by reviews sometimes. So yes, community impressions would still be a factor, just not a big one for me.

I fully understand why people choose to have reviews and impressions weigh heavily on their purchases though and do not look down on them at all for it. Games aren't cheap lol

Psykoboy2

F2m81WU.jpg

You know that's a bit of a trade off, right?

Those outlets go to E3 and hand out those awards, and in turn, during promotion of that game the publishers will use those to hype it up, not only giving the game great promotion but also the site too. It means more pre-orders for the publisher and more clicks/hits for the gaming site.

If you want to see how god awful that practice is...go find the E3 awards for Evolve. Then go find the previews. Then go see how gigantic the turn around was when the game released.

Good advice by Polygon, too bad it's only coming because they feel shafted for not being able to deliver an early review. Don't mess with the press!

You can walk into Best Buy or buy it on Amazon days after release and still get the 20% off.

Top Bottom