• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As a minority how do you feel about living in America currently?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right now I am laughing and crying over what the world has become. This is reality and I am shocked.

I don't know what to feel. I just have a bad feeling for the future.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
I choose to be hopeful that he will govern for all of us.

I live in a mostly liberal area in CA but it is still rural, so we will see. I still feel uneasy, and feel worried for any poc in red states.

Lime

My partner cried and feels incredibly unsafe. I don't even know how we can go to work and look our white coworkers in the eyes. We are incredibly scared of what's to come.

I'm so scared GAF.

shingi70

Banned
I live in Michigan soon I'm fucking terrified and expecting what happened on a state level here to happen on a national one.

LordKasual

Banned
Same i've felt any other day.

Except after I woke up today, i had to come to grips with the fact that no, people do not shoot for the greater good when given the chance.

So now it's same old America, except my opinion of people has plummeted to distressing levels of indifference.

The only thing minority about myself is my orientation and gender identity. I'm most concerned about the implications of a republican led house, senate, and eventually supreme court would mean for that. If I were black, Latino, muslim, etc. then I'd be absolutely concerned about all that as well as Trump's victory. I feel very disheartened about the whole thing and am 'lucky' that unlike millions of others I can at least better hide the parts of me that are obviously divergent from the status quo.

I'm sorry non-white America/GAF.

Disgusted, but it's my daughter and nieces and nephew who I am worried about at the moment.

Trump has giving the platform to be openly racist and have no fear of repercussions.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Only Muslim at work. Feel like i am not wanted here. They probably think i stole their job. They clearly don't want me here

Gay person here.

I'm screwed.

EDIT: I'll probably be fine from day-to-day life since I pass off as a white male (I'm Hispanic, though), but my rights are going to be toast.

XenodudeX

I'll survive.

Fact of the matter is, even with Obama as president, black people's lifes didn't really improve all that much. My parents survived Nixon and Reagan, my grandparents survived Jim Crow, and I will survives a Trump presidency.

This just makes me even more motivated to do better in college and get a good job for myself. I'm going to focus of improving me. I'm going to do me. When the time comes to fight again, I will, but for now, my priority is me.

I'm only a quarter-minority, but I have a son who's half-asian.

I'm actually a bit fearful for his future, specifically education and what environment he'll grow up in, but I live in a very blue state so he'll probably do ok in the short term.

I'm terrified for my minority friends in red states though. Hate won the day, and I think the GOP will go hard against them in the years to come. 2018's election will probably see a alt-right version of the tea party spring up, making things even worse.

I'm a non-white male and terrified. I am afraid stop and frisk will be implemented nationwide. I am afraid hate crimes due to Trumps rhetoric will rise exponentially. I am afraid this victory has opened the floodgates for all the racist politicians to come out of the woodwork with no repricussions. I am afraid I will get gunned down in the streets by an emboldened police force because I'm brown.

This is a bad day.

Still in shock. I mean discrimination is nothing new to me, but this is the first time the country has almost unanimously said through their vote that they don't give a fuck about us.

Trey

It's basically everything I knew was true about this country and how the majority of white america felt about POC (indifferent at best, ignorant in the main, hostile at worst), but a bit more magnified now.

PixelatedBookake

Donald Trump is gonna make stop and frisk the police standard. As a 20-year old black male living in the South, I'm thinking about what my last words are gonna be.

I'm just trying to take things day by day and not get too overwhelmed. Things will become more difficult, for sure. Though as a straight, biracial man from a middle class family with a name that doesn't have any specific racial connotations, I realize I'm in a much better position than others. I'm more worried about what could potentially happen to the minorities who don't enjoy some of the privileges that I do.

We're still right out of the civil rights era.....I don't know how things will play out for people I care about who are still undocumented.

Enzom21

As a black man, I am not really surprised.
It is nice to have actual proof of how many racists are in this country.
"Post racial" my ass.

Kyrios

My friend left this note for her kids before going to work this morning, now I'm not a minority and neither is she, but I really hope more families are doing this.

I'm sorry if it's too huge

LXhu3UD.jpg

harSon

Banned
I'm legitimately heart broken. I knew a lot of this country didn't give a shit about minorities. But I didn't think that number was big enough to put someone who ran a platform on that sentiment into the white house. I gave the country more credit then that, but I was sorely misguided. I live in the Bay Area though, so socially, I'll probably be shielded from a lot of the horse shit a Trump/Republican dominated government is going to foster. I'm still scared for what the future will bring. Four years is a long time though. This is the first time in my lifetime where I've felt that life for minorities have the chance to take a downward trajectory, both socially and fiscally. It's real scary stuff.

otake

Doesn't know that "You" is used in both the singular and plural
Glad I'm not there now, tell you that much

What have you seen so far that gives you that hope?

Nothing. But I choose to be optimistic. I want to believe that people are inherently good.

I'm going pay attention, I will be more involved. I won't let anyone treat me or my family like a second class citizen.

But I refuse to be pessimistic. There's nothing there.

Machina

Banned
My partner cried and feels incredibly unsafe. I don't even know how we can go to work and look our white coworkers in the eyes. We are incredibly scared of what's to come.

I'm so scared GAF.

You should go and make your discomfort absolutely clear to everyone.

AGITΩ

It's still a country ruled by old white people, any progress I hope to achieve in the future feels unobtainable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom