• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 demo is live

Dantis

Feels very rough and low budget to me, but then again I didn't like the first game.

As something quite combat heavy, I think I can kind of see the Nier comparisons? And Nier feels a lot, lot tighter.

I haven't played the first game since it came out so my memory might be a bit hazy, but this demo did very little to assure me that they've fixed any of the first game's issues.

Yeah, this and Nier, I dont get the love for the soundtrack. The fight theme starts out strong but then kinda falls apart imo.

The music in this is lovely, and the music in the NieR demo is kind of eh, but it calls back to amazing music from the original, so people are into it.

Dantis

The two games are nothing alike.

Might as well use NieR as the base of comparison for everything.

Everything that has a demo release in the same day and features realtime character action combat? Seems fair.

Feel free to compare it to all other character action demos that came out today.

Humdinger

The two games are nothing alike.

Might as well use NieR as the base of comparison for everything.

This is probably an obvious observation, but they are two demos that both came out on the same day, and so people are playing both on the same day, and they're comparing the two. So it's natural that people are comparing the two, even if they aren't much alike and probably wouldn't be compared if this coincidence hadn't occurred.

Sophia

Feels very rough and low budget to me, but then again I didn't like the first game.

As something quite combat heavy, I think I can kind of see the Nier comparisons? And Nier feels a lot, lot tighter.

I don't think Nier is a good comparison, as they're going for different types of combat. That being said, the only flaw with the demo is that it has the same float-y feel to combat that the first one did. Which is great when you're flying in air, and not so great when you're attacking.

I dunno how you got "low budget" out of it tho. The audiovisuals are really good, despite the imperfect framerate.

For what it's worth, I never played Gravity Rush remastered, only the Vita original. So I'm just happy to not have combat require the touch screen at all anymore >.<

I don't know where those few opinions that the game controls worse than the 1st are coming from. This feels just as intentionally loose and/or accurate as you make it.

ZXMoZxQ.gif

I'd even say the free falling is more fun in this one. Can't wait to get my hands on the full game so I can stop hitting boundaries

zDIOseU.gif

FEgO8D0.gif

The only big difference is the framerate, which coming off the Remaster does take a while to adjust to (like even beyond the drops in this build). Don't even care though. Very excited for this.
Just beautiful.

For what it's worth, I never played Gravity Rush remastered, only the Vita original. So I'm just happy to not have combat require the touch screen at all anymore >.<

Yes! I can actually dodge now! I would generally just try throw myself out the way with gravity in the original because putting my fingers over the action to swipe would just confound me further hah

gogojira

I own GR Remastered but haven't got to play it yet. How spoilery is the demo? I'm not overly sensitive to spoilers so I'm assuming I won't care much, honestly.

fvng

Grim Fandango Remastered feels better than this.

Hey guy you're wrong. Also I think people need to know that the gyro functions of the controller are really useful when you are floating to fine tune your trajectory. Probably the only game series where the gyro makes sense

Adryuu

I like the soundtrack in both this and Nier. "shrug"

Of course, they're both amazing. But so far I think both first games had better music than what these demos are proving.

And this controls nowhere near bad. It's just more relaxed and less stressing than Nier, not less fun. A different kind. Loving both. Great demos day, and great demos year with Ni Oh!

I own GR Remastered but haven't got to play it yet. How spoilery is the demo? I'm not overly sensitive to spoilers so I'm assuming I won't care much, honestly.

Not really, there's a little exposition at the beginning, but it doesn't really refer to the last game, as much as how they got where they are now. I just hammered through the dialogue to avoid spoilers. I guess the only thing is a character appears who is now friendly but is initially more antagonistic in the original - it doesn't explain the context or anything but might just let you know they will end up friends.

Mifune

Mehmber
I don't think Nier is a good comparison, as they're going for different types of combat. That being said, the only flaw with the demo is that it has the same float-y feel to combat that the first one did. Which is great when you're flying in air, and not so great when you're attacking.

But you attack while flying in air so I don't see the problem. Who runs along the ground in Gravity Rush?

Moonlight

Banned
The one thing I'm really pleasantly surprised by is honestly how intuitive swapping between gravity styles feel. I'm not used to doing actual gestures on the DS4, but the swipes feel natural and it was a lot easier to just flow from one style to another than I figured it would be seeing the prompt. Getting into a flow and wormhole kicking around before swapping to Jupiter and smashing down to take care of the stuff on the ground feels really, really nice.

More than anything though I'm amazed at how simple a change that Gravity Throw underwent and how much more fun it became as a result. Just tapping to instantly capture a ton of objects and fling them at once feels really good, and it's really useful. And of course, lobbing these giant balls of compacted debris at stuff with Jupiter (and also people) owns.

Only thing I wasn't really fond of is the default settings for the gyroscope. Felt too sensitive to me and made adjusting my aim or direction while falling felt sort of awkward as a result. Not the biggest deal in the world since I pared it down but it was weird considering I felt GRR had basically the perfect degree of sensitivity to it from the get-go.

Feel free to compare it to all other character action demos that came out today.
It's incredibly disingenuous to say Gravity Rush is a 'character action' game or is attempting to be one purely because you control a character in real time.

I'm not even gonna address how the game 'feels low budget' because lol

Comparing the OSTs of Demos to full games
&#128564;&#128564;&#128564;&#128564;&#128564;&#128564;&#128564;&#128517;&#128517;&#128517;&#128517;&#128517;

gogojira

Not really, there's a little exposition at the beginning, but it doesn't really refer to the last game, as much as how they got where they are now. I just hammered through the dialogue to avoid spoilers. I guess the only thing is a character appears who is now friendly but is initially more antagonistic in the original - it doesn't explain the context or anything but might just let you know they will end up friends.

Perfect, thanks. I'll download it soon.

Lots of games are combat heavy, that doesn't make them comparable. Nier is all about ground level accuracy and dodging. Gravity Rush is all about your wild manipulation of Kat's center of gravity, and attempting to rein in the inaccuracy of that superpower. Completely different games. It's not a mistake that using your powers in pedestrian/object heavy areas makes such a mess. You even comically launch people along with you through the air by accident. That sense of being in control of an out of control power is a part of the game. Kat's also characterized as an endearingly sloppy and overpowered force of nature. Gravity Rush is not supposed to be tight in the same way Nier is.

Sophia

But you attack while flying in air so I don't see the problem. Who runs along the ground in Gravity Rush?

Yeah, it's a double edge sword. Tightening it up slightly could make the combat flow a bit better, but would also reduce the sense of flight that makes the game so amazing in the first place.

Personally, I'd like to see the camera reworked a little bit tho. I got turned upside down a few times trying to gravity kick the second boss. I also wouldn't mind a better stance indicator, because I got them mixed up at times. All pretty minor complaints.

"Feels low budget"
&#55357;&#56862;&#55357;&#56862;&#55357;&#56862;&#55357;&#56862;&#55357;&#56862;&#55357;&#56862;&#55357;&#56862;&#55357;&#56884;&#55357;&#56884;&#55357;&#56884;&#55357;&#56884;&#55357;&#56884;

It is definitely not "low budget" feeling. Certainly no lower budget then the first game. Just take a look at some of the gifs people are posting.

kadotsu

Banned
Wasn't this originally a trade show demo? The performance is fine for that and they have already stated that they made improvements.

silva1991

Nothing about this game feels low budget compared to the other mid tier games like Nier.

And wow at saying this is an action character game.

Alot of people don't even count God of War as an action character game and that one is much closer to games like DMC, Bayonetta or Ninja Gaiden.

Of course, they're both amazing. But so far I think both first games had better music than what these demos are proving.

And this controls nowhere near bad. It's just more relaxed and less stressing than Nier, not less fun. A different kind. Loving both. Great demos day, and great demos year with Ni Oh!

Yeah from what I heard they do have inferior OSTs to the first games.

But then again we haven't heard everything yet.

Y
It is definitely not "low budget" feeling. Certainly no lower budget then the first game. Just take a look at some of the gifs people are posting.

Was referring to this bad post

Menitta

I'm playing more of the demo and I'm really liking it. I think I'm enjoying lunar style with just jumping around rather than the actual gravity powers lol. Was there a wall jump in GR1?

hiryu

I didn't really know what this game was about but its awesome. Its really gorgeous and has great music. Very original concept. I think I'll buy it, any idea how long it is?

I'm playing more of the demo and I'm really liking it. I think I'm enjoying lunar style with just jumping around rather than the actual gravity powers lol. Was there a wall jump in GR1?

Don't think so, although she would kind of wallbounce with the gravity kick sometimes!

maouvin

Shooting with stasis field is so much better this time c:

How do I fly pretty in moon mode instead of just being launched awkwardly?

Don't think so, although she would kind of wallbounce with the gravity kick sometimes!

Yup. Boucing was very useful for the time trials.

After playing this, I cannot possibly understand how anyone can say this feels 'low budget'. Mighty No.9 feels low budget. Resident Evil Revelations 2 feels low budget. This? Come on son.

Xliskin

I don't know where those few opinions that the game controls worse than the 1st are coming from. This feels just as intentionally loose and/or accurate as you make it.

ZXMoZxQ.gif

I'd even say the free falling is more fun in this one. Can't wait to get my hands on the full game so I can stop hitting boundaries

zDIOseU.gif

FEgO8D0.gif

The only big difference is the framerate, which coming off the Remaster does take a while to adjust to (like even beyond the drops in this build). Don't even care though. Very excited for this.

Man these gifs so beautiful

sliding mechanic is the best mechanic of the year love it so much

After playing this, I cannot possibly understand how anyone can say this feels 'low budget'. Mighty No.9 feels low budget. Resident Evil Revelations 2 feels low budget. This? Come on son.

NieR comparisons don't make sense either. This is neither an RPG or a character action game. Should we also lambast Mario for not having combat as tight as NieR's?

Dantis

It's incredibly disingenuous to say Gravity Rush is a 'character action' game or is attempting to be one purely because you control a character in real time.

I'm not even gonna address how the game 'feels low budget' because lol

I mean, let's be clear, I don't think GR is a character action game. I also don't think it's crazy to compare it to a character action demo, considering the commonality between Nier and GR2 combat and the fact they released at the same time. They're not the same, but they function similarly. If a demo for a new Gran Turismo came out on the same day as a demo for a new Motorstorm, it wouldn't be that crazy to compare them either.

And let's not kid ourselves either, it definitely feels low budget. Cutscenes are non existent, main character animations are pulled straight from the Vita game, and controls are clunky, inaccurate and glitchy. That's not to mention the framerate. The ingame art is a lot closer to the 2D art now (except for the faces which are still a bit funky), but this is a C tier game.

Widge

Christ. This one game would sell a PS4 to me. Honestly found gliding around on the Vita to be the most natural and gratifying traversal in a game ever. Felt like the game was made for me.

Shooting with stasis field is so much better this time c:

You know, I totally missed mentioning that from my own experience but yea, stasis field feels like something I will use now, and super badass. Although when you launch soldiers off into the great abyss :|:|:|:|

I loved both games demos but if GR2 is a low budget game then Nier is even more of a category down that that.

That game has sparse, basic empty environments with monsters and levels that look unfinished.

Out of all games, Nier makes GR2 look like a big budget AAA title if anything.

Sophia

You know, I totally missed mentioning that from my own experience but yea, stasis field feels like something I will use now, and super badass. Although when you launch soldiers off into the great abyss :|:|:|:|

Stasis Field is super good against the humans with ranged attacks. Trying to attack them with any form of melee means you'll easily get shot. But you can toss stuff at them all day and not get hit as long as you keep moving.

Loris146

Topic already derailed good job.

Nier ( which is really good btw) is going to be compared with everything isn' t it ? ( Similar to TLOUesque if there is a snow area or a kid in a game)

Top Bottom