• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What visual/graphics challenge do you like developers to solve most?

For me it is clipping. Nothing takes me out of a game than a clip-through.

CypD6V6UkAA_9Ye.jpg:large

clipping is pretty damn important.

good thread, OP. i'm not sure atm so i'll come back later

edit: oh shit Rusty I didn't even notice it was you!

Clipping, Z fighting, and reflections.

Reflections being one because: typical cubemaps can't render dynamic objects, dynamic cubemaps are pretty performance intensive and are usually shaky or inaccurate, SSR's flaw is obvious (can't see the undersides of backsides of reflected objects as they aren't in the screen space), and I'm sure there's more that I can't think of. But yeah, reflections still need a lot of work in games.

Tonky

Not sure if it's visual/graphics related but physics-based animation. R* did a great job with this in Max Payne 3.

Platy

Good non straight hair simulation.

There are dozens of different hairs, specially on minorities and devs don't give a fuck

I also would like polygon deformation to become more natural.

If the player sits or leans against a wall, the polygons should bend and compress against the weight. It's not as big of a problem as clipping for me but it is noticeable.

One thing I'd really like to see is clothes/armor/apparel that aren't just static texture/mesh over the body like they're part of it. We have capes and hair with physics, but I want everything on a character to have dynamic properties.

Tonky

I also would like polygon deformation to become more natural.

If the player sits or leans against a wall, the polygons should bend and compress against the weight. It's not as big of a problem as clipping for me but it is noticeable.
Are you referring to their skin bending and compressing, or their clothes? A decent amount of games this gen have cloth physics that react to the environment.

Air

Banned
Texture pop-in for me. I don't mind the other stuff, and while I can handle the pop-in, it's the one thing that kind of removes me from the experience. How can I be immersed in a world that's not fully rendered?

Global lighting, like infinite bounce global lighting. Would go so far to make an image more cohesive. That and harmonized light and shadow. The fact that Doom 3 was the last breakthrough is embarrassing.

Tonky

One thing I'd really like to see is clothes/armor/apparel that aren't just static texture/mesh over the body like they're part of it. We have capes and hair with physics, but I want everything on a character to have dynamic properties.
That would be very expensive from a computational standpoint, but I think R* may do it with RDR2. They made great strides with this in Max Payne 3.

Irobot82

clipping and shadows that don't look like jagged pixels. I was watching a video of Watch Dogs 2 at 4k maxed and still the shadows looked like stairs.

vivekTO

Shadows and mainly shadow distance.

The shadow building crawl that happen in open world games , is really distracting.

Also Reflections and tessellation.

Are you referring to their skin bending and compressing, or their clothes? A decent amount of games this gen have cloth physics that react to the environment.

I'm talking more about the physical body. Like for example if Geralt is sitting on a cliff and you see him from behind, his ass is perfectly shaped without any weight from his upper body compressing it.

I'll probably laugh at this in ten years but I feel like with U4, Quantum Break, TW3, The Order, WD2 etc I think we've hit the "good enough" point with semi realistic looking real time visuals at least to me.

With PS4 Pro, gaming PC's and Scorpio we've / will hit a good point with regards to IQ.

I feel the final hurdle is framerate. I'd much rather next gen focuses on hitting 60fps as the target rather than improving what are already incredible visuals and large Worlds. I ultimately know this won't happen though because of marketing and the dedicated console markets linear path of ever improving visual fidelity.

If I was being very picky about the games I mentioned in my opening paragraph then I would say certain effects like fire and explosions can seem lacking at times but overall character models, lighting, texture work and materials are all fantastic imo.

Peroroncino

Texture pop and weak blood effects e.g. when you shoot/slash somebody, you see loads of blood floating in the air, but when it lands on the ground/wall you don't see it, because it just disappears into the ether, I hate that.

Metal armor bending and stretching.

This is one of the most noticeable for me. Suppose you could class it as independent item modelling - where your character actually wears stuff, rather than it being welded to the rig. Oh sure, the ends of your coat may fly free, but the actual coat itself? Ha!

However, I also realise that's probably a long way off, so I'll default to OP's answer of clipping.

optimiss

Fluid dynamics are usually shit unless a game features them very prominently. Water in general is looking better but it is very obvious it is being faked with clever use of geometry and animation.

Pop ups and texture pop ins. Really freaking annoying. I thought we got rid of it during the GC/PS2/XB era, but it's now back with a vengeance.

ItIsOkBro

Usually for me the most distracting thing about a realistic character model are the eyes, convincing eyes are hard to do.

Metal armor bending and stretching.
This is one of the many reasons why I was so impressed with Arkham Knight visually. Batman's armour still stretches in some places (like his armpits) but his abs + chest pieces are actually placed on a mesh so they move independently to his animation. For example, when he raises his arms, you can see the gaps between the pieces of his armour expand and see the wire underneath.
Making two people kiss without being awkward as hell.
Good non straight hair simulation.

There are dozens of different hairs, specially on minorities and devs don't give a fuck
Uncharted 4 is great for both of these

I would like hair to be made up of actual polygons and realistic physics rather than hi res alpha textures with bone based physics applied. Seems like a power issue rather than a challenge (Agni was a thing, after all), but I won't pretend that it doesn't bother me.

For animals, this technique is not a substitute. That is some PS2 tech taken to extreme levels. More like The Witcher 3 Hairworks, but better and hardware agnostic. Straight up more polygons is fine, too.

AF. Find a way to make this less intensive so it can be turned on in every console game. Please stop making 2k-4k textures for everything and then turning AF off.

Tonky

This is one of the most noticeable for me. Suppose you could class it as independent item modelling - where your character actually wears stuff, rather than it being welded to the rig. Oh sure, the ends of your coat may fly free, but the actual coat itself? Ha!

However, I also realise that's probably a long way off, so I'll default to OP's answer of clipping.
I think Crytek actually achieved this with Ryse. Almost every piece of armor and clothing on the main character moved independently.

DexterBateman

Neo Member
Shadow draw distance in larger, more open world games. It's extremely jarring to me in FFXV GTAV and Watch Dogs 2. Maybe they can do a static shadow texture that can fade into dynamic as you get closer or something?

Also I'd love to see better facial expression, vs just blinking and mouth momement. Still seeing dead robotic faces during dialog seems kinda silly as we move into 2017.

This is one of the many reasons why I was so impressed with Arkham Knight visually. Batman's armour still stretches in some places (like his armpits) but his abs + chest pieces are actually placed on a mesh so they move independently to his animation. For example, when he raises his arms, you can see the gaps between the pieces of his armour expand and see the wire underneath.e

I agree. I forgot to mention how impressive Arkham Knight armor was.

giphy.gif

Hair is my biggest gripe with modern graphics. It's either totally static and little more than a bizarre hat, or at best dead straight and model perfect.

Give me decent renditions of most every hairstyle, up to and including dense curls and ringlets, that bounce and react to water and wind realistically, and I'll find any game significantly more immersive.

gfxtwin

Definitely clipping and texture pop-in. Completely takes me out of the experience when it happens frequently. Anyone remember the console port of Rage? The worst.

Aside from that it's always nice to see developers use contrast well with how they portray lighting (too little and everything looks flat, too much and it looks like a bad mod).

Tonky

More GPU accelerated physics like this in video games, especially open-world titles.
I also want computational fluid dynamics to be incorporated in video games more, but for something so expensive I can't think of an actual gameplay use for it. Maybe for a puzzle or something?

Not sure if it's visual/graphics related but physics-based animation. R* did a great job with this in Max Payne 3.

And more physics based animation like what Rockstar does in their games like Max Payne 3, GTA V and Red Dead Redemption as mention in this post:

Euphoria engine is actually even more impressive than you think. It's not just physics-based. It has a self-animating AI. The drunk animations and characters trying to balance themselves when ran into? That's an AI animating itself in real-time to react to the physics and the environment.

Edit: https://youtu.be/87qdmuOesRs

Sini

Fog effects going into the floor and showing a straight line where it meets.Not sure if it's been solved properly yet. Probably has.
That's called soft particles and Im sure vast majority of modern games have that feature.

Although I've seen few modern games without it which is always very strange to see because it should have virtually no performance impact t.

Tonky

Euphoria engine is actually even more impressive than you think. It's not just physics-based. It has a self-animating AI. The drunk animations and characters trying to balance themselves when ran into? That's an AI animating itself in real-time to react to the physics and the environment.
I still wonder how NaturalMotion (or R*, I'm not sure who to give credit to) were able to pull that off. I'm hoping that in future games (like RDR2) the AI can take into account more variables like local terrain and even wind speed/direction for animations.

Chumpion

Global illumination, both density and depth (number of bounces). The biggest flaw I can see at a glance from a random screenshot is the sparseness of indirect lighting information near complex geometry (like foliage).

Sami+

I would've just said clipping about a week ago but I'm playing Doom on PS4 and sweet Jesus the texture pop-in is something else in that game.

Top Bottom