• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What visual/graphics challenge do you like developers to solve most?

ss_lemonade

LOD changes? A good example of it getting worse between generations is Halo. The remake versions (both 360 and xbox one) feature LOD model swapping not found when switching to the og xbox visuals

nkarafo

Grass looks bad because it's still a 2D or cardboard asset in all games.

But the lack of real time shadows and self-shadowing is the main reason they look so fake. In many good looking games you get real time shadows on everything except grass which makes it stand out. SSAO somewhat helps (especially in Witcher 3) but i's still not good enough.

That's why other types of foliage like bushes or big leafed plants and palm trees look good. Because the bigger leafs are proper 3D objects that cast shadows.

Witcher 3 and Dying Light have the best looking grass atm IMO.

nkarafo

Bad hair graphics in video games still baffle me in 2016. Why does it look so bad compared to other elements?
Alice in Madness Returns still has the best looking hair and that's a 2011 game without using a special, GPU crippling hair physics option...

AFAIK, car damage and deformation is an issue of licensing.
AAA games like Forza, GT, DC would pay car manufacturers more money to have car wrecking in their games.

The tech is there. That's why indie games with fake brands can include impressive car damage in their games.

It's not only about costs. Some car manufacturers just don't want that their cars can be crashed so that someone could die. It would leave a bad impression on them. That's also why Ferrari sometimes prohibits journalists (like in The Grand Tour) to measure the time of one of their cars on a track. Because it could lose to some other car.

That's really sad, but well... We need more games like Burnout :( I remember an interview once with Yamauchi about GT5 where he compared the crash physics to that of Burnout :D Hilarious, when you think about the end result.

abracadaver

- Bullet casings need to fall to the ground in every game and need sounds

- more physics! Half-Life 2 is 12 years old but still ahead of many games in terms of physics

- more destruction

- better explosions

- better gore

- more gore

Foliage is fine, but that grass ground texture doesn't look too hot, in my opinion.

That looks nice but there isn't much grass there, when you get fields of long grass with a character walking through it just looks off.

Yeah you guys are right, folliage is abundant and looks really good but there's barely any grass in those screenshots.

However, floor textures do look pretty good in UC4:

KGRbXs.png

I'll try and get some ground texture screenshots as well. I can pm them to you two if you want.

Full destructability and explorability without a sacrifice to graphics.

We've been stuck since Red Faction Guerrilla at a stagnant space for destruction and physics. Immersion and believability is ruined when a grenade goes off and leaves some flat 2D sprite on the same geometry instead of causing damage.

As for explorability, seeing that same building have all its doors locked and windows with a weird reflection cube map kills it too. Being able to enter and explore just provided so much more.

This doesn't necessarily have to be an open world game thing, I am tired of static and sealed environments in any game.

iamvin22

Industry Verified
Devs still using 2D fire assets bothers me.

Plus pretty much no gore (other than doom) in games or bullet holes is down right stupid. Max payne 3 did this very well. He'll soilder of fortune did gore very good.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Bad hair graphics in video games still baffle me in 2016. Why does it look so bad compared to other elements?
The performance hit from complex looking hair simulation is still too severe outside of a tech demo settings. The fact that we got one last gen game with hair that looks like this in real time:
rendertwyxw.jpg

is some technical wizardry. and this only applies to Lara's hair compared to other characters:

Great hair simulation in general like many other things takes years of painstaking work to get right, but in realtime, just like ray tracing the hardware can't support it in the context of a full game. The onmly Like, you know Elsa? Her hair has more than double the amount of individual strands than Rapunzel and Merida. This is why Moana is incredibly impressive because just look at this shit:
giphy.gif

HIGHFIVE.gif

tuxfool

Banned
Grass looks bad because it's still a 2D or cardboard asset in all games.

But the lack of real time shadows and self-shadowing is the main reason they look so fake. In many good looking games you get real time shadows on everything except grass which makes it stand out. SSAO somewhat helps (especially in Witcher 3) but i's still not good enough.

That's why other types of foliage like bushes or big leafed plants and palm trees look good. Because the bigger leafs are proper 3D objects that cast shadows.

Witcher 3 and Dying Light have the best looking grass atm IMO.
Nah, the grass in the witcher is fairly bad. It makes up for it by volume and density. You won't find any game with the same volume of ground foliage. The best grass in itself I'd say is that found in the Far Cry games. But those use the same properties you mentioned, they're taller grasses so they benefit from better shadowing despite being less dense.

HeelPower

I wish for the graphical armsrace to stop so we can focus on better stories,characters & gameplay refinements.

I feel like the obsession with graphics is costing this industry a lot.Developers are being asked to do waaaay too much beyond human ability.

Full destructability and explorability without a sacrifice to graphics.

We've been stuck since Red Faction Guerrilla at a stagnant space for destruction and physics. Immersion and believability is ruined when a grenade goes off and leaves some flat 2D sprite on the same geometry instead of causing damage.

As for explorability, seeing that same building have all its doors locked and windows with a weird reflection cube map kills it too. Being able to enter and explore just provided so much more.

This doesn't necessarily have to be an open world game thing, I am tired of static and sealed environments in any game.
Sounds like 2017's Crackdown will be right up your alley.

Tyaren

- Low resolution shadow maps and self shadowing (the only real graphical flaw of Uncharted 4.)
- Non-existent anisotropic filtering (FFXV looks instantly so much better with AF enabled in HQ Pro mode.)
- Dithered/pixelated hair (ruins many current gen character models.)
- Poor LOD (Basically all open world games look atrocious in the far distance, especially on console, even though being able to gaze into the far distance is/should be one of the most important and impressive aspects of open world games.)
- Aliasing (Still often a big visual flaw of games. Nioh or Nier: Automata look way too jaggy on the standard PS4.)

KKRT00

So much stuff.

I think i dont like shadows the most. There is not a single game that does them in good precision right now.
The other things are LOD and shading precision, which is quite low sometimes.
I dont also like that transparencies are low quality or that fx lighting is not per pixel.

I wish for the graphical armsrace to stop so we can focus on better stories,characters & gameplay refinements.

I feel like the obsession with graphics is costing this industry a lot.Developers are being asked to do waaaay too much beyond human ability.

People that work on graphics and art do not work on stories, characters or gameplay.

"D"

I'm extremely insecure with how much f2p mobile games are encroaching on Nintendo
Devs:

Please stop using chromatic aberration. Its not a "problem to solve"...but just...stop using it.

Thanks

mhayze

I think getting the face right is one of those key things, i.e.

- No 'dead eyes', i.e. eyes look right at you, follow you properly, etc. Half-life 2 got this right first, years ago, and it still bothers me when other games don't
- No hyper-white teeth / super dark mouth
- Skin. It's not plastic, render it properly
- Hair, should look and move realistically

i'd really like to see canned animations and auto lipsyncing get better. its obvious in games like mass effect or the witcher that they cant mocap or keyframe every single conversation, but the current limitations for those situations does bring me out of the story a lot.

More GPU accelerated physics like this in video games, especially open-world titles.

And more physics based animation like what Rockstar does in their games like Max Payne 3, GTA V and Red Dead Redemption as mention in this post:

I was really disappointed finding out Mafia 3 doesn't really have PhysX stuff when Mafia 2 has such good PhysX on PC.

jett

D-Member
Aside from what surely many people have already mentioned...

I want to see the end of concrete clothes. I'd like to see characters actually wearing accurate clothing on top of their bodies. An accurate clothing simulation.

And not just trickery like how UC4 (or MGS3 on a simpler scale) does it with the with the appearance of clothes flowing in the wind.

This might be impossible though. Do CG movies even do this?

Crossing Eden

i'd really like to see canned animations and auto lipsyncing get better. its obvious in games like mass effect or the witcher that they cant mocap or keyframe every single conversation, but the current limitations for those situations does bring me out of the story a lot.
Witcher 3 was pretty great with this actually, every scene in the game used auto lipsyncing as a base and then the devs went in and keyframed every conversation to make them flow better, that's really unheard of. That's some next level dedication.

I want to see the end of concrete clothes. I'd like to see characters actually wearing accurate clothing on top of their bodies. An accurate clothing simulation.

And not just trickery like how UC4 (or MGS3 on a simpler scale) does it with the with the appearance of clothes flowing in the wind.

Yes. Many CGI movies have clothes that accurately fold and deform depending on the movement. A lot of time and a team usually goes into just that aspect though. Even a game like Until Dawn likely couldn't fit that in without a massive performance hit despite the game really not having any complex AI.

Orayn

Clipping is more of an art issue than anything involving tech. The brute force solution of running a ton of collision checks on everything in the game at all times isn't feasible, so you solve it by adding constraints to things that might clip.

One common form you see is disabling most/all of a character's hair when they wear certain forms of headgear. If you want to compromise and still show some parts of their hairstyle through it, you work that out on a case by case basis and increase your workload in the process.

If you want to make sure a character's shoulder armor never clips through their body, all the possible shoulder armor needs to fit within a certain envelope where it'll never go where it shouldn't during any animation it might get used with. Again, the number of scenarios that have to be tested grows wildly as you add more animations, more character models, etc. so you inevitably wind up with a few things that slip through the cracks.

CG movies do plenty of physics simulations for hair and clothes, but they have the luxury of taking hours to render each frame. They can also cheat and change the properties of those bodies or add a sudden change in airflow to make them look a certain way for a particular moment.

Your comment is completely redundant. The two are not mutually exclusive.

13ruce

Banned
More different art styles, most games use the realism art style nowadays and it gets boring.
And yeah clipping is the worst, breaks immersion in some games.

Mirrors aren't reflective in most of the modern games (but it was even in Duke Nukem 3d)
Screen from 2017 game

Duke 3D had a weird way of doing things. Screen space real time reflections are one of the most expensive effects. Although even Quake had some cubemapped reflections on some cards.

Easy_D

never left the stone age
That's called soft particles and Im sure vast majority of modern games have that feature.

Although I've seen few modern games without it which is always very strange to see because it should have virtually no performance impact t.

Especially when it's been possible to get rid of it since DX10, it was one of my favourite additions to the PC version of the original Bioshock, fog and smoke that doesn't clip through geometry

Budi

I didn't have an answer ready when I opened the thread, but yeah clipping is really annoying. Happened in Witcher with beard a lot.

Orayn

Why isn't it feasible? How powerful must the systems get before we can run collision check all time every time?

It's mind-boggling. Look at the kind of performance drops associated with doing better hair physics on a single character in games like Tomb Raider 2013 or The Witcher 3, then apply that to every possible onscreen object.

Hell, watch Car Boys and see how easy it is for Nick and Griffin to bring a (presumably) powerful PC to its knees with soft body physics on vehicles.

Have we advanced to a point where clipping in no way, shape, or form has to exist? I don't know of many games where this doesn't happen. A lot of 2D platformers maybe?

Crossing Eden

Why isn't it feasible? How powerful must the systems get before we can run collision check all time every time?
Because a game is based on more calculations than just colliders. These things add up and wreck performance because it has do all these things on the fly.

Top Bottom