• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What visual/graphics challenge do you like developers to solve most?

Realistic real time hair has been my fetish for a long time :)

But also I absolutely hate aliasing and shimmering - to the point where I can live with lower poly models as long as the game remains perfectly clean - something along the lines of VLR on Vita.

Plum

First person animations really need a step up, it feels like nothing has improved at all since the days of Half Life except for a few more canned mounting/climbing animations thrown in.

Shredderi

Soft-body physics. Game worlds governed by realtime soft body physics where you CAN'T destroy everything, but most of the things you see will take dynamic dents of damage when you shoot them. Different metal materials bending realistically.

Unicorn

When a Vista reflecting on a lake or water or whatever follows the camera rotation weirdly that it doesn't look like when a movie camera pans the same way and the reflected Vista rotates across the water with the camera.

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Screen tearing is one of the worst things in games for me... it gives me a headache :/. Thankfully I haven't seen much of this in modern games, last gen was awefull about this though. BTW... it was one of the worst things about the original Titanfall (thankfully Titanfall 2 fixed the screen tearing). I would also love to see games locked at 30fps or 60fps, and please no FPS dips if your game is 30fps, games that run at 20-25fps also give me a headache (Crysis 3 on consoles).

VDenter

Banned
Having amazing weather effects. This always brings immersion and atmosphere to the next level especially Rain. However games during the 7th gen suffered in this regard. It has gotten better this gen Uncharted 4 for example has the best rain in any game ever but it still feels like we are still not there quite yet in most games these sorts of effects just feel tacked on almost like its after the fact during development.

I also want computational fluid dynamics to be incorporated in video games more, but for something so expensive I can't think of an actual gameplay use for it. Maybe for a puzzle or something?

Smoke can add to the gameplay by obscuring the vision of players, and also have parts of the smoke cloud that clear away which allows players to see thorough the smoke.

I'm not too sure about water physics though, although it can be used for rain to have the water particles fall, bounce and flow through the game world.
Cryostasis and Batman Arkham Knight make use of things like this, in Arkham Knight the rain bounces off of Batman's Cape. In Cryostasis the water can develop small puddles.

Euphoria engine is actually even more impressive than you think. It's not just physics-based. It has a self-animating AI. The drunk animations and characters trying to balance themselves when ran into? That's an AI animating itself in real-time to react to the physics and the environment.

Yup, I know! I love the Eurphoria engine, it's incredible!

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog
I also would like polygon deformation to become more natural.

If the player sits or leans against a wall, the polygons should bend and compress against the weight. It's not as big of a problem as clipping for me but it is noticeable.

This is mine, unfortunately i think it is going to require us to move away from how we rig characters right now. For example, characters that use nvidia flex soft body physics system dont actually have bones. Instead animation is driven through volumes. This goes way beyond the simple jiggle physics we have seen before. Soft body is the future but i don't think the work flow is ready yet. Needs a tech breakthrough.

Other than the proliferation of soft body physics i would like to see liquid physics and grass rendering take a big leap forward.

Tired of light sources that don't cast shadows.

Next gen will be the first gen where engines will be able to have fully dynamic global illumination with the same iq and performance as baked lighting.

Could have been this gen but after the ps4s specs turned out so weak, engine devs like epic decided to cut their GI plans and went back to baked lighting.

There is a lot of fake GI in use this gen though (Enlighten, Epic's light propagation, etc).

In the future lighting will be set and forget with no need to bake or precompute (like how cryengine works right now).

Crash physics:
BXXbX8j.gif

gt57.jpg

Z..

Can they solve the gaming community's pointless obsession with realism? That'd be cool.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I wish good facial animation was easier, faster to produce. Look at WD2 vs Deus Ex MD for example.
It's difficult to record dialogue for an RPG using facial capture, because RPG are usually filled to the brim with characters and dialogue so that's ALOT of animation data that needs to be retargeted and polished. The only two RPG games that are doing so are Horizon Zero Dawn and Mass Effect Andromeda and i'm pretty sure that's only for cutscenes and specific conversation scenes instead of all dialogue.

Can they solve the gaming community's pointless obsession with realism? That'd be cool.

We can do any level of cartoon that we want already There's at least four generations of cartoon graphics to indulge in. 2d has been conquered since gen 6 on consoles. But if you thing people shouldn't have goals.

Astral Dog

We can do any level of cartoon that we want already There's at least four generations of cartoon graphics to indulge in. 2d has been conquered since gen 6 on consoles. But if you thing people shouldn't have goals.
Come on! this is silly, there is TONS left to do with cartoony graphics, recently there has been the new Ratchet game and that Zombie gane on the Xbox.both beautiful games

Come on! this is silly, there is TONS to do with cartoony graphics, recently there has been the new Ratchet game and that Zombie gane on the Xbox.both beautiful games

There's no technical limitation anymore. Whether develops want to indulge or not, there's no real rift to speak of. Of course, when people say cartoon graphics, 90% of the time it boils down to more anime games.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
With increased graphical fidelity cartoony things stick out quite a bit. There isn't a focus on realism so much as a focus on making things much more believable, no one irl could do the things Nathan Drake gets away with, which include single handedly destroying armies of mercenaries all without anyone batting an eye, irl a 14 year old girl likely wouldn't be able to outsmart and overpower a grown man three different times via crouching behind tables in a diner when all the dude would have to do is stand on an elevated surface to see where she is, irl there isn't an ancient guild of assassins that can parkour their way to freedom and survive incredibly ritualistic leaps from tall heights that irl literally killed the people who performed them back when it actually did happen. But holy shit do devs make these things incredibly immersive to play thanks to painstakingly thinking of ways to make them believable. Like say, the number of character animations in UC4 or ACU based on a shit ton of different contexts. That makes gameplay feel a lot less restrictive, or dishonored's assassination animation being based on the positioning of the enemies and what they doing. You imply that these things are pointless but they're absolutely not.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Clipping is a huge problem. So is realistic hair, i agree.

But the most important graphical problem i have is 2D grass.

If you cant have individual blades of grass, dont just put a flat texture with grass textures painted on there, it looks like shit and is like a PS2 level technique in this day and age.

The faster we can eliminate the need for flat 2D surfaces in games to emulate 3 dimensional stuff the better.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
Realistic hair, shadows that those don't look like jaggy squares.

shadows are actually really good at least in my opinion. they are just really demanding and have to be dialed back.

here is what the shadows in Watch Dogs 2 look like when using HFTS:

http://images.nvidia.com/geforce-co...gs-2/watch-dogs-2-shadows-001-nvidia-hfts.png

unfortuantly it hits the framerate really hard. same is true for PCSS but to a lesser degree. most standard shadow settings are ok on high/ultra and get blocky on low/medium.

Crash physics:
BXXbX8j.gif

gt57.jpg

AFAIK, car damage and deformation is an issue of licensing.
AAA games like Forza, GT, DC would pay car manufacturers more money to have car wrecking in their games.

The tech is there. That's why indie games with fake brands can include impressive car damage in their games.

nynt9

Wounds. Whenever someone gets stabbed the sword kind of just goes through their character model and creates some redness in the area. I want to see the damage to the person's clothes and flesh, so that wounds feel more visceral and have more consequences.

Laiza

I like that clipping is the very first thing that comes up.

AND YOU'RE FUCKING RIGHT. That shit is immediately immersion-breaking. An incredible eyesore. Something that obviously never happens IRL. It's just soooo annoying.

The sad thing is that it's so computationally expensive to completely fix that we're likely not to see such fixes until way into the future... like when we have carbon nanotube processors and desktop quantum computing. Sigh.

But man, once it's finally fixed FOR GOOD, I'll be so freakin' pleased. SO FREAKIN' PLEASED.

Soft-body physics. Game worlds governed by realtime soft body physics where you CAN'T destroy everything, but most of the things you see will take dynamic dents of damage when you shoot them. Different metal materials bending realistically.
Tired of light sources that don't cast shadows.
Both of these as well. The Force Unleashed felt like a glimpse of the future! It's a damn shame that digital molecular matter didn't catch on. Likewise, The Division with having (almost) every light source casting shadows is freakin' jaw-dropping. My goodness, it has to be seen to be believed!

HooYaH

AFAIK, car damage and deformation is an issue of licensing.
AAA games like Forza, GT, DC would pay car manufacturers more money to have car wrecking in their games.

The tech is there. That's why indie games with fake brands can include impressive car damage in their games.

And another is that if a car realistically crashes, I'm pretty sure the game driver would be dead. Real Life Sim.

Realistic hair movement. They are getting close but there is still crazy bugs that still occur when attempting to do this. Most of those bugs are funny though.

spliced

Grass and ground visuals in general. Grass in modern games tends to stick out like a sore thumb for looking awful comparatively to the rest of the game.

Garudan

Banned
Hair clipping mostly into collared chest pieces or capes.

Eyes.

Mouth movement. Even with amazing attention to motion capture like Until Dawn or (at the time) LA Noire it's like JUST in the right side uptick of the uncanny valley.

Once we hit that peak out of the valley I'll be content. Everything else will be icing from then on out to me.

I can always get used to the look of a game, and can forgive an occasional glitch, but bad animation will always take me out of the experience. There's no excuse anymore either.

sirronoh

Lots of interesting answers to the OP but I'm kind of mixed on this. Clipping and a lot of the other graphic issues that people are talking about come down available resources.

On the one hand, there's the memory required to process the physics required to make the graphical enhancements that people are asking for in large games. These enhancements, like clipping for example, don't exist in a vacuum -- they exist alongside all the other calculations that are going on in real time in the world. That requires more complex systems than we have now and at least for consoles, that will require much more powerful hardware to run those systems than what's available right now.

So there's the technical limitation side of things. There's also the financial side (which pretty much goes hand in hand with the tech). Games already require tens of millions of dollars just to develop (not including marketing) and they're getting more expensive. I do think it would be nice to see clipping gone entirely from AAA games but as much as I would like to see that, I understand that the amount of time and money that will need to go into making that a reality may not be worth it to publishers when you factor in all of the other costs of game development.

In a perfect world, no clipping and better grass and better water would be great and I'm sure there are many game developers out there that want that too. I just don't think it comes down to what they want anymore given the reality of the technical and financial limitations that exist.

I would say shadows on most console games. Clipping and liquid simulation on every platform.

Grass and ground visuals in general. Grass in modern games tends to stick out like a sore thumb for looking awful comparatively to the rest of the game.

Uncharted 4 does a great job with folliage and ground textures, in my opinion

KGZSkC.png

KGRJee.png

KGZWSt.png

KGQc5b.png

bobeth

It's difficult to record dialogue for an RPG using facial capture, because RPG are usually filled to the brim with characters and dialogue so that's ALOT of animation data that needs to be retargeted and polished. The only two RPG games that are doing so are Horizon Zero Dawn and Mass Effect Andromeda and i'm pretty sure that's only for cutscenes and specific conversation scenes instead of all dialogue.
Exactly, that's why I wish it was easier, and faster...

nkarafo

Here's an easy one.

Just disable that pure white, blinding light effect whenever you get outside of a tunnel or indoor area. It sucks. It's not realistic (not in that intensity at least). Just stop it.

I would say shadows on most console games. Clipping and liquid simulation on every platform.

It's amazing how many of the mentioned visual issues are solved in Uncharted 4.

With the exception of shadow quality and other hardware limitations.

A stable fucking framerate. I'm not asking for locked 60FPS in all games. I'm not even asking for a PERFECT locked 30. But if your game cannot maintain 30 the vast majority of the time, you need to rethink your priorities.

Parsnip

KGZSkC.png

KGQc5b.png

KGZWSt.png

KGRGeB.png
Foliage is fine, but that grass ground texture doesn't look too hot, in my opinion.

It's amazing how many of the mentioned visual issues are solved in Uncharted 4.

With the exception of shadow quality and other hardware limitations.

Yeah with the exception of shadow quality I find it really hard to pick out any issues with its overall presentation. It's quite possibly a benchmark for overall quality.

I NEED developers to find a way to make it obvious what items in your environment are interactable without plastering them with icons or an ethereal glowy sheen

Top Bottom