• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

What visual/graphics challenge do you like developers to solve most?

AAK

Wounds. Whenever someone gets stabbed the sword kind of just goes through their character model and creates some redness in the area. I want to see the damage to the person's clothes and flesh, so that wounds feel more visceral and have more consequences.

Yeah, this always bothered me a lot in Soul Calibur:

kCFHwxO.gif

Soul Calibur 5 is easily the best looking fighting game released last generation, but when I see things like that it really dampens the presentation.

Aside from what surely many people have already mentioned...

I want to see the end of concrete clothes. I'd like to see characters actually wearing accurate clothing on top of their bodies. An accurate clothing simulation.

And not just trickery like how UC4 (or MGS3 on a simpler scale) does it with the with the appearance of clothes flowing in the wind.

This might be impossible though. Do CG movies even do this?

Didn't Rise of Tomb Raider already do this?

I'm honestly disappointed 3D fighting games so far haven't incorporated this kind of technology in their games.

The Antelope

Neo Member
Some games have really weird flickering shadows on character models. It sure breaks the immersion for me.
But yeah, clipping sucks, mainly in games like Bloodborne, where weapons and shields clip through clothes like hell right in front of your face.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
LOD and object pop/fade-in for me. I had hoped tesselation would help with smooth LOD but it seems to have been wasted.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!

FXTJDtk.gif

I'm honestly disappointed 3D fighting games so far haven't incorporated this kind of technology in their games.
Only for Lara in that outfit, compared to say the bomber jacket or any other outfit in the game, and ofc that's a tank top which is a form fitting shirt which is easier compared to say Franklin's baggy shirts in GTAV. I imagine people are talking about more complex versions of what Kojima attempted in MGS3 and 4:
a1MVZWv.gif

koutoru

Long term: clipping
Shorter term: realistic small body fluid simulation (ie: pouring water in cup and drinking it.)

Both are computationally complex issues, but I think we're closer to having realistic fluid simulation than completely solving clipping.

It's mind-boggling. Look at the kind of performance drops associated with doing better hair physics on a single character in games like Tomb Raider 2013 or The Witcher 3, then apply that to every possible onscreen object.

Hell, watch Car Boys and see how easy it is for Nick and Griffin to bring a (presumably) powerful PC to its knees with soft body physics on vehicles.
So it's pretty much impossible then? Not even PS9?

Animated bump maps?

Assuming a character has a fixed, designed animation cycle, it seems inefficient to have a 'proper' clothing simulation - said joker and quicker to animate the clothing behaviour too?

I agree. Lara has limited animations. They could easily animate clothes with them. Why would they have clothe simulation? And if they did, why wouldn't it work with other outfits in the game?

I think NBA2K is the only game where clothes actually feel separate from the body.

tuxfool

Banned
I agree. Lara has limited animations. They could easily animate clothes with them. Why would they have clothe simulation? And if they did, why wouldn't it work with other outfits in the game?

Yup. In this case it would make sense for them to possibly simulate the mesh transformation offline and then bake it into the animation. Also as somebody else noted this is a tight tank top, you're not likely to notice gravity effects upon it.

Orayn

So it's pretty much impossible then? Not even PS9?

A 100% bulletproof solution is probably not something that will be done in real time if it's not the only thing the game is doing, much like ray tracing.

What we're more likely to see is incremental improvements in simulating hair, cloth, and other objects that get applied to more and more game elements. There will be some shortcuts taken, and it will be used selectively, but it could get to a point where old forms of clipping become less common as a result.

Zaventem

I NEED developers to find a way to make it obvious what items in your environment are interactable without plastering them with icons or an ethereal glowy sheen

I dunno i feel like that may be the only way or more in game scenes that draw the players to said area(s). I replayed bioshock yesterday and the flashing shimmer wasn't so bad just a bit fast. Maybe put more subtlety into it, i like the way bloodborne adds a faint glow to the lore notes.

Palmer27

Definitely clipping and texture pop-in. Completely takes me out of the experience when it happens frequently. Anyone remember the console port of Rage? The worst.

Aside from that it's always nice to see developers use contrast well with how they portray lighting (too little and everything looks flat, too much and it looks like a bad mod).

2nd these points.
Also would love to see more true darkness used at night, making torches and navigation a physical property rather than a palette swap with soft bloom lighting.

LordKasual

Banned
Afro hair. I understand why it's so rare to see it done correctly (or done at all), but we've moved past the point where devs can complain about it. Shoutout to Nadine.

Dynamic water surface distortion (even when its kind of ugly, thought that counts)

Destruction physics (Metal Gear Rising's original reveal trailer gave me such a boner)

Attention to soft body physics on rigid models (that isn't boobs or ass)

I'm still patiently waiting for a realistic FPS game that builds its gameplay around the destructive power of the weapons we use today. I am so sick and tired of my high-powered assault rifle shots being blocked by drywall, tables and boxes.

Hahs

Most games incorporate shooting and death but never depict the carnage/vicera/decay properly ( Bungie did this with Halo 2)... Haven't seen a game do it right since...

This is the reason why more games aren't attempting what rise of the tomb raider is doing for the hair (credit goes to the esteemed esppiraK over at b3d):

X70GQR7.jpg

189k polys with low poly in-game hair. I can imagine with the cinematic hair it would go up to 250k..maybe even more. By comparison i think Nathan Drake is around 60k in uncharted 4.

Samaritan

LOD and texture pop-in, far and away. Nothing this generation has taken me out of more experiences than running towards a hill only for an entire forest to pop into view out of nowhere.

Lod/ pop in issues
More dynamic cloth simulation, there has been improvements, however there is still far too many instances of concrete clothing on in game characters.
Global illumination
Much improved shadowmaps and shadow distance/cascade. Despite GTA5 PC having an extended shadow map distance some of the cascade can look rough as hell. Not much better in games built for current gen, like uc4 and WD2

jett

D-Member
Yeah, this always bothered me a lot in Soul Calibur:

Soul Calibur 5 is easily the best looking fighting game released last generation, but when I see things like that it really dampens the presentation.

We've had this since Uncharted 1, although more complex in RoTR obviously. It's an animated bump map, I think TR might also be altering the polygonal mesh but I'm not sure.

jLGIX4p.gif

The thing that bothers me most is when highly dynamic objects (like cloth or hair) are static. To add insult to injury baked in lighting is used to give the object complexity.

Like who are you fooling with those pants that have painted on wrinkles and folds that never move. The same is jarring with skin, muscles and other things.

So what I want is more deforming geometry that self shadows and reacts to lighting accordingly.

Dante83

Banned
Those ugly dithered shadows on characters for SFV(PS4 ver). They are still present up till now. They never corrected it since the beta.

This is the reason why more games aren't attempting what rise of the tomb raider is doing for the hair (credit goes to the esteemed esppiraK over at b3d):

X70GQR7.jpg

189k polys with low poly in-game hair. I can imagine with the cinematic hair it would go up to 250k..maybe even more. By comparison i think Nathan Drake is around 60k in uncharted 4.

To be fair, that's 189k with all of her outfits combined. If you remove all but one at any given time that'll be a lot less polygons to render, since some of those look pretty detailed. That bandolier with the bullets/tubes looks pretty smooth and high poly on its own.

dragos495

for circles/spheres to actually be round and not pentagon/hexagons and so on. its annoying AF to look through a sniper scope and see the corners and not a perfect circle. or car headlights...

please devs, please! thanks!

Did you not play any games on 360/Wii/PS3?

Yes? I mean, that exact when pop-ins came back. There was geometry and texture pop-in. Hell, texture pop-in was a brand new thing for that era. Normal maps don't appear on the fly in UE3 games. It wasn't as big of a problem on Wii because it didn't use these effects, or not as complex, so it was pretty devoid of it, but on PS3 and 360, that shit was everywhere.

Cock of War

stop using polygons and start using particle or molecular rendering. I have no idea what I am talking about and this is probably far flung sci-fi dreams, but ditching polygons seems to me like it would really evolve graphics.

cheezcake

As far as games are considered, good art and animation have and will be two of the most important factors in its presentation, imho. ND has a good feel for that.

The angle of the scene also masks the lips touching which stops your brain from seeing the lack of soft deformation it expects.

Rathorial

I wanna see fluid simulation go further, and be able to have a tangible effect on gameplay with physics.

Most scenes in modern games I still regularly notice how fake fluids of any kind are, and that it's largely still just animated materials on simple polygonal shapes. Even the Uncharted games' attempts still come with pretty obvious limitations.

I feel like if we could get to this point, bent metal, weight distribution on different materials, individual hair strands, and just crying not looking terrible on characters could be done.

Spman2099

I wish there was an easier solution for lip-syncing in games. It seems like the process is too laborious at the moment. This leads to even major games having poor lip-syncing. Just look at Final Fantasy 15...

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I wish there was an easier solution for lip-syncing in games. It seems like the process is too laborious at the moment. This leads to even major games having poor lip-syncing. Just look at Final Fantasy 15...
FFXV has worse lip sync than FFXIII so I feel like that's the result of troubled development. Back when FFXIII was in development they could afford to animate 7 hours of cutscenes compared to how few are in FFXV.

memoryswap

Neo Member
Realtime variable penumbra shadows and shadow resolution high enough to eliminate jaggies.

I know that this stuff is coming but it's really the next big leap in lighting quality, now that we have some pretty good realtime AO, GI.

Stiler

Animations, just general "Janky/low quality" animations.

I wish there was a good simple means where any developer, even those with small dev teams, could easily have a great animation system that allowed all the characters and everything to animate and move realistically.

Where the animations were smooth and fluid, where characters bodies/feet moved in accordance with the environment (IE no ice skating up/down stairs), and everything.

Basically if every game could have animation as detailed as Uncharted 4 days and even better.

Top Bottom