• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Performance Thread

Ivory Samoan

Gold Member
What GPU are you using? Can you fill out the feedback form below?

http://surveys.nvidia.com/index.jsp?pi=6e7ea6bb4a02641fa8f07694a40f8ac6

Do you get a crash every single time you try to take screenshots with HDR?

Regards,
Manuel Guzman
NVIDIA Customer Care

Hey Manuel: Thanks for the reply!

Have the following setup: i7 3770K / GTX G1 Gaming 980 / 16GB / SSHD Game Install.

Yep, every single time I have HDR10 enabled in-game it crashes hard (alt-tab doesn't even save me, goes black screen so have to restart computer) - this is every time I use the Alt-F1 functionality to screen capture with GeForce Experience. It works perfectly if I take HDR off, no problems at all: I can still bring up Alt-Z menu in HDR though.

Ansel and the FPS counter also don't show up with HDR on, but if I take it off in the settings, it comes up perfectly (both).

Cheers mate - any help whatsoever appreciated! Seems like the HDR screws with it somehow: also, I'm playing on a KS8000 55" 4K HDR TV, if that's relevant - I'll fill out the form you added also: Many thanks! :)

i7 6700K @ 4.5gHz
GTX KFA2 1070
16GB Corsair DDR4 @3200mhz

Nvidia Settings

In-Game Settings
All Max except for HBAO (Not Full)
Grain and CA turned off.

Config (To Turn Off Motion Blur):
WorldRender.MotionBlurEnable 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurForceOn 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurFixedShutterTime 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMax 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurQuality 0
WorldRender.MotionBlurMaxSampleCount 0

Game seems to be running fairly well so far, will update as I proceed.

EDIT: Seem to be getting around 80-100 FPS

where is the config file?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Goddamn this game is seriously lacking in complex lighting and shadows department in indoor locations.

OLSLBj1.jpg

vlsd3gW.jpg

pLFq6Yd.jpg

BlNvP4X.jpg
Looks so dry, sterile and clean and lack any kind of atmosphere, post effects etc. which would have helped to make these scenes a lot better. This btw with Lighting Quality on Ultra (!!!!). The fuck is this BioWare?

Even here the lighting is just and simply okay and nothing special, but even this kind of lighting you can see only in select locations in indoor locations, were as others look like shit.

So fucking disappointing. How can lighting like this (or rather and almost complete lack of it) have so much impact on performance is just beyond me.

Taggen86

6700K @ 4.2
1080 Founders
32gb 1666Mhz Ram

playing on a KS8000 in 1440p, with everything on high/ ultra with temperal AA and resolution scale at 1.10. Currently getting 80-90fps in gameplay and around 60fps in conversations. Game looks very sharp and performance is great although the stutter is still present when panning the camera. Have also applied Reshade for Vibrance and Clarity.

Game looks amazing, its a shame the stutter is still present though. Are there any methods out there to reduce this stutter?, currently got triple buffering on, but its still present in some cases.

I managed to eliminate the stutter by using the rtts fps cap in combination with nvidia v sync. Gtx 1080, 1800p, 50hz

ramshot

My observations and thoughts after a few hours of game time with:

6700k @ 4.5
GTX1080 OC
16 gigs DDR4/2600
Win10
1440p / 144hz / Gsync

Everything at max I dropped below 60 fps gameplay in a few spots during the first hour. Dropped HBAO Full to HBAO, and haven't gone below 60 since then. Typically hangs around 70-90 fps.

Gameplay is smooth with very few stutters, but cutscenes are an entirely different matter. The frametime graph from RTSS is a horrendous sight when cutscenes are running. Every time the angle changes, there's a huge spike in frametimes.

Interestingly, if a single character says a long line of dialogue without the camera switching angles, there is no stutter. But the instant the camera angle changes - or, if I'm correct, a new line of dialogue is loaded - we get stutter.

With the game having as much cutscenes as it does, it's kind of jarring getting this stuttery mess right next to the smooth gameplay.

Overall a pretty solid PC version. My reasons for being slightly disappointed with it are mostly not technical. They really need to fix the cutscnes though - ME games are all about immersion and while the issue isn't the only immersion killer in ME: A, it is a significant one.

Renekton

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=08lRJtSBDRQ

PC:
- Increase in model complexity, quality normal maps, texture.
- Better DoF, higher shadow quality and HBAO is good.
- Everything looks rounder than consoles.
- Some cutscenes are FMVs using in-game assets fixed to 1080p.

PS4:
- 1080p gameplay
- 900p cutscenes
- Distant scenery and shadows slightly better than X1
- Asset streaming can be slow
- Targets 30fps but goes below that in heavy scenes
- Poorer frame-pacing

X1:
- 900p gameplay
- 756p cutscenes
- Asset streaming can be slow
- Targets 30fps but goes below that in heavy scenes
- Screen-tearing below 30fps

Menome

So, I'm running:

i5-3570k
780 GTX
8GB DDR3

With most things on High, except Shadows and Effect Detail at Medium and resolution scaling at 0.90, I'm hitting 60fps with occasional drops (Limited to 60fps by RTSS).

Much better performance than I was worried about. I'm sure I read somewhere here that someone was getting a slight performance boost from running in HBAO Full instead of standard HBAO. Has anyone else been able to confirm this?

Dave_6

Tried to play one match of MP last night in the trial version. During the loading screen while going into the map, the game just closed out. No black screen, no freeze, it just closed the game. I was going to buy the game tonight but now I'm not so sure. Stuff like that just annoys the hell out of me.

Trying to work out why my fps drops so much when just looking at a solar system map. I can lose 16fps. Turns out it's the Effects Quality. Going from Ultra to High fixes it. Losing so many frames over such a thing is ridiculous. It may also explain why the frame rate drops so bad when standing on the bridge with some external views are present.
Can't help but feel the game needed a few more months in the oven.

Whoa...this game is all over the place (DA:I ran flawlessly, guess Frostbite got some serious under the hood work).

i5 4670K
GTX 970
16GB RAM
Gaming on a 1080p TV and aiming for a smooth 60fps experience if possible.

GeForce Experience suggests this:

clipboard01lzu1o.png

Any thoughts/experiences to share?

I honestly expected 1080p@60fps at least with everything on High (maybe Shadows on Medium). Heh... :/

JMY86

Whoa...this game is all over the place (DA:I ran flawlessly, guess Frostbite got some serious under the hood work).

i5 4670K
GTX 970
16GB RAM
Gaming on a 1080p TV and aiming for a smooth 60fps experience if possible.

GeForce Experience suggests this:

clipboard01lzu1o.png

Any thoughts/experiences to share?

I honestly expected 1080p@60fps at least with everything on High (maybe Shadows on Medium). Heh... :/

I am running a i7 4790k & GTX 970 and I play at 1080p all settings on high and get 60fps 90% of the time. The game drops in the low/mid 50s sometimes on the Nexus and the Tempest. I'm not sure how cpu dependant the game is but you should be able to crank some of those graphics options up

I am running a i7 4790k & GTX 970 and I play at 1080p all settings on high and get 60fps 90% of the time. The game drops in the low/mid 50s sometimes on the Nexus and the Tempest. I'm not sure how cpu dependant the game is but you should be able to crank some of those graphics options up

Your CPU is better than mine, tho. :)

I brought everything to High and left that framebuffer format at compressed (do we know what that does exactly?), so far it seems it holds 60fps with a couple of dips here and there to 57-58.

clipboard017kupk.png

I'll leave it like this for now and see how it behaves.

i5 2500k (OC'd to 4.5)
GTX 970
8 GB's of ram

Settings are all high. fps are decent in 50's to 60.

Getting a lot of crashes. Almost always during a transition to a planet or ship. Not always but almost always. Random crashes whenever.

masterkajo

i5 2500k (OC'd to 4.5)
GTX 970
8 GB's of ram

Getting a lot of crashes. Almost always during a transition to a planet or ship. Not always but almost always. Random crashes whenever.

RAM issue maybe? I have almost the exact setup except a 980 (which I haven't put in my PC yet still rocking that old 680) and I feel like playing multiplayer my RAM are at their max. 7.8/8GB used.

i5 2500k (OC'd to 4.5)
GTX 970
8 GB's of ram

You're probably hitting 100% CPU utilization, because I was getting that all the time on my i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz when I had everything set to high.

robinsxe

Im running almost constant 60 fps on a 1080 with 1440p and everything on ultra except HBAO Full. I have a skylake tho, but godamn this is a good looking game.

Can anyone help me lock the framerate in this game?

I've tried doing this - both by putting it in the manually created CFG file and entering the command in the console:
You can lock FPS with console command:
gametime.maxvariablefps 61
But the game is simply not responding to it. And I know CFG file is working, because I use it to display my fps.

I want to lock the game to 30fps, because framerate is all over the place otherwise. I guess my CPU is to blame: AMD FX8370E, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB. Battlefield 1 run smoother if I remember it correctly :/

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?

I've tried doing this - both by putting it in the manually created CFG file and entering the command in the console:

But the game is simply not responding to it. And I know CFG file is working, because I use it to display my fps.

I want to lock the game to 30fps, because framerate is all over the place otherwise. I guess my CPU is to blame: AMD FX8370E, 8GB RAM, GTX 1060 6GB. Battlefield 1 run smoother if I remember it correctly :/

Use RTSS, super simple to do

CSJ

Been binging the game all day today and even after a restart just to be sure, getting crazy low fps randomly, like on the tempest. Want to know how I fix it? Press escape twice, in and out of the menu.

What the hell? D:
FPS goes from like 25 to 60+

Turn Vsync and Triple Buffering OFF in the video options. Switch to Borderless Windowed. Use RTSS to set the framerate limit to 30.

Bisnic

Really Really Exciting Member!
I'm able to have a rather stable framerate with my PC(i5 4460, 8gb ram, 970 GTX) on high settings, but for some reason, once a while in combat, the game just seem to freeze for a a second or two. It's just weird, and doesn't happen during every combat.

Any ideas? I've updated my video driver when the game released.

Specs:

GTX 1070
i5-3570k @3.6Ghz(stock)
8GB RAM

Settings:

Borderless Windowed
HBAO
Temporal AA
Post Process Quality: Low
Texture Quality: Ultra
Texture Filtering: Ultra
Shadows: Medium
Effects: Medium
Mesh Quality: Ultra
Shader Quality: High
Terrain Quality: High
Vegetation Quality: High

FPS ranges from 0-61(capped with RTSS). Whenever it drops to 0, game just freezes for a few seconds then goes back to 61(doesn't happen frequently). Temps are good, cpu/gpu usage never hits 100%. Memory is always around 7500-7900 MB. Capping at 30 was still bad, and for some reason it kept dropping to the low 20s. Idk if it's the game or my system.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Has anyone found a solution to the "Temporal AA" shader problem?

Nope, and who knows if it'll ever get one. Battlefield 1 still has a similar problem related to TAA and it remains unresolved. It's definitely an issue within Frostbite 3's rendering.

Is anyone else experiencing some pretty serious graphical abnormalities? This stuff usually occurs when a card is overheating or is overclocked too high but my card is running at standard settings and it's happening with no other games.

Considering I'm not finding much discussion about this on the internet it must have something to do with my system, but I can't think of what it might be. Perhaps my video card is dying.... It seems to have progressively gotten worse as I've been playing the game.

I'm running AMD 7970 in Crossfire and using the latest drivers

Didn't know whether to post this in the OP but thought here would be a more suitable place to ask for opinions and or advice. Deliberately made the image smaller. Got stuff like this spiking all over the place, but only sometimes and it seems to always come from characters heads. Any settings that I can disable or something to fix this?

artifactsmcs9u.jpg

EDIT: Just did some Google searching (read over articles I had already read) and while nothing talked about this kind of problem specifically it suggested turning HDR off and then back on again which seems to have completely fixed the problem... I've been out of the game so the card has cooled down, if it comes back as it gets hot again I know it's my card going down the toilet. But it was only in MEA so I'm not too worried (not really)...

Renekton

I'm able to have a rather stable framerate with my PC(i5 4460, 8gb ram, 970 GTX) on high settings, but for some reason, once a while in combat, the game just seem to freeze for a a second or two. It's just weird, and doesn't happen during every combat.

Any ideas? I've updated my video driver when the game released.
I can think of two...

1. Turn down Effects, this is surprisingly expensive during combat.

2. Check HDD health since streaming issues can cause drastic stalls.

If all else fails, turn down more expensive settings, wait for patch or add RAM.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Is anyone else experiencing some pretty serious graphical abnormalities? This stuff usually occurs when a card is overheating or is overclocked too high but my card is running at standard settings and it's happening with no other games.

Nothing exactly like that, beyong the TAA abnormalities. But I do get certain sequences, rarely but there, where the screen flickers to black and occasionally distorts the scene tone to light green or similar "overheating / abnormal GPU" full screen effect.

This is the only game with these issues so I'm confident it's the game.

BTW, if you're using a controller on PC and your camera keeps moving down as you try to move forward, go into Task Manager and see if Steam is running. For some reason, Steam running in the background makes the game's controller support go nuts, even if you haven't got it added to Steam.

Flaboere

So i'm getting some very sketchy performance. The game started out running great for me, and now it's nigh unplayable. fps seems to drop for everytime i restart the game, and now sound effects has started not playing, or only partly playing.

My rig is an admittedly old cpu, FX-8120, a 1060 6GB and 16gb ram. Today i tried to reinstall the game, as it was nearing 5 fps ingame. Reinstalling at starting it, everything ran perfect, with all settings on high. Played for 45 minutes, closed the game, went out for a bit, came back, opened the game, performance way, way worse. Reducing the settings a bit helped, but the sound effect issue is back. Dialogue sound is un-affected, but when driving the Nomad, the sound will start playing, then stop. So all i'm hearing are the wheels on sand, no engine.

I thought this was related to the game crashing after trying multiplayer, but it seems it's back after reinstalling. Now i'm trying reinstalling again, to see if that will work again. If it does, i don't know. Must be the game i guess.

Anyone else?

Lashley

BTW, if you're using a controller on PC and your camera keeps moving down as you try to move forward, go into Task Manager and see if Steam is running. For some reason, Steam running in the background makes the game's controller support go nuts, even if you haven't got it added to Steam.

Yep, this has started happening recently to me. Very annoying.

Everyone trying to get a steady framerate and I still can't play the game for more than 10 minutes before I get a directx error.

Now it's the weekend so no patches and my game has hardly started :(

Nasty bug where I was "eaten" by a creature and killed but the game continued and I had to alt-tab out to exit as I couldn't get the menu up. Hope it doesn't happen again.

Lashley

How big of an effect does turning down effects quality have on graphics and fps?

Any sites/videos that show this?

EatChildren

This is the flickering issue I sometimes get, usually when looking at something very specific (eg: in the following example if I turn around the issue goes away). Anybody else have this problem? Downclocking my GPU doesn't seem to have an impact, so I doubt it's an unstable OC.

gifi1ovm.gif

This is the flickering issue I sometimes get, usually when looking at something very specific (eg: in the following example if I turn around the issue goes away). Anybody else have this problem? Downclocking my GPU doesn't seem to have an impact, so I doubt it's an unstable OC.

https://abload.de/img/gifi1ovm.gif

Kett impromptu disco tech.

Doesn't seem like it's a GPU problem otherwise the HUD would also flicker, right?

UCLAKoolman

Neo Member
My living room HTPC:
2500K @ 4.5 GHz
GTX 770 4GB
8GB RAM
SSD Install

Using RTSS to cap at 31 frames per second. Played through a bit of the first planet and was not experiencing any dips below 30 fps at 900p resolution with a mix of medium and high settings (based on this post). My wife has been playing DA:I on PS4 lately, so I don't think she'll mind the framerate. I'm pretty stoked it looks good and runs at a consistent framerate on this machine. The processor is nearly 6 years old!

My office PC:
GTX 980ti overclocked with hybrid cooler.
16GB RAM
SSD Install

Everything maxed out at 1080p, no dips below 60 fps

SliChillax

gifi1ovm.gif

Happened with me but it was flashing a white screen. If I had epilepsy would have been dead.

flippeh

Replied in other thread about this, but also posting here for posterity. I had similar issues in a couple of cutscenes and random places elsewhere in game.. Changing post processing to high from ultra helped with this. YMMV.

Top Bottom