• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Performance Thread

reckless

Cool, if I'm not host in a multiplayer game my game just straight up crashes pretty much everytime. No error messages or anything just freezes for a second or two then closes.

jony_m

For Ultrawide users:

There is a manual flawlessWS plugin by Helifax which fixes the black bars.

http://www.wsgf.org/forums/viewtopic.php?p=169220#p169220

YYsQUOg.png

Sorry if already posted.

Dave_6

Cool, if I'm not host in a multiplayer game my game just straight up crashes pretty much everytime. No error messages or anything just freezes for a second or two then closes.

Same here. It closed the game last night. Tried it just now again and it hard froze during the loading screen and totally locked my PC up. Had to press the reset button to get out of it.

kuoniradha

Neo Member
Gaming on a 3570k, 970, 8 GB DDR3. Game never dips below 40 FPS with everything set on Ultra, so I decided to lock it at 31 with RTSS (I lock it at 60 FPS with a mix of high and medium settings, but the game ends up looking like crap). Sadly

Fact is I get quite some tearing at Fullscreen on a 60 Hz display (no VSync, no Trible Buffer).
Borderless window takes care of tearing but the game feels less responsive.

What could I try? Maybe setting at 1 the value of Max Pre-rendered Frames from nVidia Control Panel?

kamspy

What settings are the most GPU intensive? I'm playing at 1080p on an original Titan with a 6600k 4.5Ghz. Trying to get 60 fps.

Anyone else get a 25 gig update for the game today? Or am I just getting an update I didn't check an install already? Doesn't Origin automatically updated games?

Thankfully it's steaming along at 14MB/Sec so it's only going to take 20 mins.

If only I could wait to play this game because I imagine it will be a whole lot different and more polished in 6 to 12 months time.

Teletraan1

Banned
Well this thread has talked me out of buying this. I am on the low end of everything here so I Will wait for my next build that is perpetually a few months away lol. It is about time to retire this PC.

Renekton

Well this thread has talked me out of buying this. I am on the low end of everything here so I Will wait for my next build that is perpetually a few months away lol. It is about time to retire this PC.
Yeah EA will likely put this on aggressive discount schedule (like Mirror's Edge: Catalyst) so you can experience this cheaper, fully patched and with new rig.

(Game design or animations notwithstanding)

GavinUK86

Anyone else get a 25 gig update for the game today? Or am I just getting an update I didn't check an install already? Doesn't Origin automatically updated games?

Thankfully it's steaming along at 14MB/Sec so it's only going to take 20 mins.

If only I could wait to play this game because I imagine it will be a whole lot different and more polished in 6 to 12 months time.

Nope, no update for me today, especially not 25GB.

After about 20 hours with it so far, it runs pretty well on an i7 2600k @ 4Ghz, 16GB of 1600Mhz RAM and a GTX 970. Running at 1080p with a mixture of High and Medium. Fairly solid 60FPS. Scaling it down to 900p helps a lot too, if you don't mind the image quality. I find with TAA on it isn't too bad.

Vitor711

Struggling to get things at a locked 60 at 1440p on Ultra.

Running on a 1080 and i5-4690k.

Turned down Shadows, Effects and HBAO one notch from the top and still get dips to 50. Not awful since I have a G-Sync monitor but wondering if there's anything else I can change.

Anyone else know what the framebuffer setting does?

Vitor711

This is the flickering issue I sometimes get, usually when looking at something very specific (eg: in the following example if I turn around the issue goes away). Anybody else have this problem? Downclocking my GPU doesn't seem to have an impact, so I doubt it's an unstable OC.

gifi1ovm.gif

Happens to me in the menus - really annoying. Never outside of that.

Calmine

Asking for a friend experiencing motion sickness.

What is a suitable FOV for curved Acer widescreen monitor?

There is no real suitable FOV. Besides saying you want at least 90. It's all preference in the end. But my suggestion is to set the FOV to highest and see how they feel and adjust accordingly from there.

Pusherman

Anybody got some advice for someone with a old and dated CPU? I've sadly got a CPU I can't upgrade without getting a whole new motherboard (athlon x4 860k) so I'm trying to make it work. I'm having a hard time getting a solid 30 at 1080p. My GPU is the RX 480 so that's not the problem.

I can play Witcher 3 just fine at high and I can play DAI at almost ultra with a near solid 60 so I'm a little disappointed by the performance I'm getting. Anyone have tips on some on the more CPU intensive features I might be able to dial down?

This is the flickering issue I sometimes get, usually when looking at something very specific (eg: in the following example if I turn around the issue goes away). Anybody else have this problem? Downclocking my GPU doesn't seem to have an impact, so I doubt it's an unstable OC.

gifi1ovm.gif

Not had that but had multiple examples of black polys flashing. My GPU wasn't hot (rarely goes over 50c in any game) and CPU was fine. Also noticed areas with just black shapes. But that looks like the textures are just missing. Or just badly made textures when the game was being completed.
This should have been in the oven a few more months I think.

Anybody got some advice for someone with a old and dated CPU? I've sadly got a CPU I can't upgrade without getting a whole new motherboard (athlon x4 860k) so I'm trying to make it work. I'm having a hard time getting a solid 30 at 1080p. My GPU is the RX 480 so that's not the problem.

I can play Witcher 3 just fine at high and I can play DAI at almost ultra with a near solid 60 so I'm a little disappointed by the performance I'm getting. Anyone have tips on some on the more CPU intensive features I might be able to dial down?

What settings are you currently using? I would suggest running it at Low or Medium to see how it performs, then increase each graphical setting one by one and see what impacts the performance the most.

You may also want to install MSI Afterburner and RTSS, with this program you can check out your GPU usage and see how much you're being limited by your CPU.

Pusherman

What settings are you currently using? I would suggest running it at Low or Medium to see how it performs, then increase each graphical setting one by one and see what impacts the performance the most.

You may also want to install MSI Afterburner and RTSS, with this program you can check out your GPU usage and see how much you're being limited by your CPU.

Currently playing on medium but without the automatic resolution scale of 900p. Framerate is all over the place but on Eos it typically hovers between 25-30, with occasional drops as low as 19. In enclosed quarters it can be 50-60 tho. Just to be clear, I'm still playing the trial 'cause I wanna make sure my PC can play it right before I buy it for real.

I downloaded the programs you talked about. The GPU usage went from 0% to 100% and everything in between. I don't know if I did something wrong there. The CPU usage stayed between 65 and 85%. I was hoping I could play this game as well or slightly better than the PS4 version but now I'm not sure.

Lister

Banned
Got to the first Jungle planet and frame rate is unstable on my 1080 @ 3440x1440. I'm getting 50-60 FPS with drops to 40 on occasion. Very uneven.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
In case they weren't posted, I managed to figure out the conversation hotkeys, which are way different than Dragon Age: Inquisition.

7 = Upper Left
4 = Middle Left
1 = Lower Left

9= Upper Right
6 = Middle Right
5 = Lower Right

Random as fuck.

Aeana

In case they weren't posted, I managed to figure out the conversation hotkeys, which are way different than Dragon Age: Inquisition.

7 = Upper Left
4 = Middle Left
1 = Lower Left

9= Upper Right
6 = Middle Right
5 = Lower Right

Random as fuck.

If that were 9, 6, 3 for the right then that makes sense. Left options are the left side of a numpad and the right options are the right side.

K.Jack

If that were 9, 6, 3 for the right then that makes sense. Left options are the left side of a numpad and the right options are the right side.

Mind slightly blown. Why doesn't the game ever mention that?

DA:I was just 1,2,3 and 4,5,6. I guess since I literally just beat that game, I expected something similar.

Oh well.

wazoo

Gaming on a 3570k, 970, 8 GB DDR3. Game never dips below 40 FPS with everything set on Ultra, so I decided to lock it at 31 with RTSS (I lock it at 60 FPS with a mix of high and medium settings, but the game ends up looking like crap). Sadly

Good info. Same config. 40fps is ok for me + gsync monitor.

gkeller16

Neo Member
Having a issue with resolution scaling at 1440p w/HDR. Game is inside a black box ,and when I turn off HDR it goes back to full screen. Saw some people had the same issue on EA's site wondering if anyone has a suggestion? Card btw is GTX1070.

So, anyone else having issues where the game acts like it doesn't support freesync or something?

I'm getting screen tearing like crazy despite the framerate staying well within my target range.

It looks just like the issue No Man's Sky had where it just didn't work.

CSJ

Happened twice so far in 3 days and PC completely froze. Only happened in this game :/ Is this the game's fault or is my pc fucked?

First game to bluescreen my PC consistently since original watchdogs.
I had to lower my overclock on my CPU from 4.7 to 4.6, that was it.

Temps were fine (80 max on all cores), didn't mean it was always at 80 and it gets hotter using 100% of all cores rendering a video in premiere.

Pics_nao

Man, this game is all over the place for me. When I first started I was getting a solid 60 on high until I got to the Nexus with some dips into the mid 40s. Now on high and even medium, fps is all over the place.

i7-7700hq
GTX 1060
16GB ram

At least everything is stable in multiplayer

Hopefully the right thread this time

Having a issue with resolution scaling at 1440p w/HDR. Game is inside a black box ,and when I turn off HDR it goes back to full screen. Saw some people had the same issue on EA's site wondering if anyone has a suggestion? Card btw is GTX1070.

Use 4K and set resolution scaling to .7 instead.

There's plenty of strange performance issues with the game. Standing on the bridge with a planet outside the window can seriously tank my frames. Particularly if it's the Nexus. Even looking at the galaxy map can hit my frames. Turning down Effects Quality helps but there's no reason for it on my PC to be so bad.
Sometimes walking through the Tempest my frames tank but if I go to the Research menu then back out it's fine. Just odd things here and there as well as some big graphic glitches like flashing black polys instead of smoke and bad lod streaming. I don't have the most powerful PC but it's over the Recommended settings. The game needs plenty of work.

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
WTF Origin is being a right cunt today

Gsync monitor keeps displaying displayport out of range and the game will appear, then flash black, etc

Only doing it with origin games too

Effect

So picked up the game yesterday since it was priced lower on GMG. I figure for $44 I can take the risk and if all else fails there is the multiplayer which I enjoyed in ME3 to fall back on. I can get my monies worth from there alone I guess. I also expect patches will come as well so I'm not worried on that front. No way will EA let this crash and burn completely. Zelda and other RPGs are taking up a lot of my time anyway so I'll be taking it very slow with this.

AMD FX-8320 3.5Ghz
GTX 960 2GB
8GB Ram

The game auto detected at medium settings but with resolution at "auto 900p" (think that's how it was written). Moved it to custom and kept everything at the auto detected settings save for the resolution. Moved that to "auto 1080p". I don't have a FPS counter but so far things feel pretty smooth. Granted this was the opening of the game and aboard the ship and the station. I've yet to go to the first full planet. Things could fall off a cliff there. I was also playing the game while the rest of it was downloading and in windowless fullscreen. I haven't had a chance to play it since it finished. I'll see tonight.

I tried to use the default High settings on my system and I noticed a lot of slow down with that. Some stutters as well. Going back to medium at 1080p and things were a lot better. I guess I could play around with raising some settings here and there as they're all on the default medium settings but the game looks nice enough as it is. I would have kept it at 900p but parts of the ship looked weird. Like it had static on it but that went away after the increase.

I have to say though once I put it to 1080p I didn't notice any difference between the medium and high settings. If there s a difference it's not at all big in the parts of the game I played.

Want to test out multiplayer tonight. My biggest concern before buying as if my system would run it okay and so far so good. My system does need an update but that's not happening anytime soon. So "good enough" or something matching that of the PS4/XBO is good enough for me since I don't have either. That clearly isn't going to work for others I understand.

Stiler

Anyone else not get Nvidia adaptive vsync to work with this game?

I find that the game runs the smoothest and isn't nearly as stuttery feeling when I have it set to fullscreen w/ in game vsync turned off.

I have adaptive vsync turned on in my nvidia control panel but I am noticing tearing in game, and this is when my fps is at 60fps solid.

My multiplayer stability issues vanished over the weekend. No sudden crashes to desktop, no "you have been disconnected from EA servers" messages, and I was even able to host on my laptop Sandy bridge processor without slowmo or perceivable client side issues, considering the same group stayed with me for 5 gold matches. Wonder what changed, cause I wasn't even able to play two matches in a row without a crash on Thursday and Friday.

Flandy

I have a question for those playing with HDR. How does it work exactly? Do you just tick the setting and it's on? Do you need to select 10 bit color in the nvidia control panel or anything?

I have a question for those playing with HDR. How does it work exactly? Do you just tick the setting and it's on? Do you need to select 10 bit color in the nvidia control panel or anything?
Can't speak for Nvidia, but when I tested the game on my HTPC with a 290x it was automatic.

dr_rus

HDR is automatic, exclusive fullscreen will override anything you've set in the control panel anyway.

SliChillax

Audio cut off for me during the (small spoiler)
meridian
level. My pc had sound, alt tabbed into other programs and speakers were working fine but game is silent.

K.Jack

Man, this game is all over the place for me. When I first started I was getting a solid 60 on high until I got to the Nexus with some dips into the mid 40s. Now on high and even medium, fps is all over the place.

i7-7700hq
GTX 1060
16GB ram

At least everything is stable in multiplayer

Hopefully the right thread this time

What does the 7700HQ do, Ghz wise, on 4 cores? That might be the problem.

Top Bottom