• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Performance Thread

For those with framerate issues on the Tempest: Try turning down effects-quality one step.

Going from Ultra to High made a huge difference for me.

2600k @ 4.5
1080 strix over clocked beyond factory OC
1440p

Using the following settings:
Texture Quality: Ultra
Anti-Aliasing: Temporal AA
Ambient Occlusion: HBAO
Post Process Quality: Ultra
Texture Filtering: Ultra
Lighting Quality: Ultra
Shadows Quality: High
Effects Quality: High
Mesh Quality: Ultra
Shader Quality: Ultra
Terrain Quality: Ultra
Vegetation Quality: Ultra
Scaling: Off
CA: Off
Film Grain: Off

I get great performance, 50-60fps with occasional dips into the 40s. Cut scenes dip as well but just playing the game I get great performance. Shadow quality was the most impactful setting.

Yeah, I started to get weird stutters the other day after it being a smooth 30FPS on PC. Someone suggested that it's because Origin and Andromeda are downloaded on two separate hard drives.

I have origin and the game both on the same drive. I have thought about moving it over to the SSD that I have installed and giving that a go, but meh.

Also, apparently, their "best" anti aliasing method utilizes tessellation to some degree, and I find limiting it in crimson gives some bit of a performance boost, but also affects the AA quality. So i'd rather just not use it at all and substitute it for something not so ridiculously resource hoggy. Hah

I have origin and the game both on the same drive. I have thought about moving it over to the SSD that I have installed and giving that a go, but meh.

Also, apparently, their "best" anti aliasing method utilizes tessellation to some degree, and I find limiting it in crimson gives some bit of a performance boost, but also affects the AA quality. So i'd rather just not use it at all and substitute it for something not so ridiculously resource hoggy. Hah

I'm running a 2500K @ 4.2 and an RX 480 8GB. I use Rivia Tuner to limit the FPS to 30. I just wanna simulatte the PS4 Pro as closely as possible, but I can't find the equivalent settings anywhere.

I'm running a 2500K @ 4.2 and an RX 480 8GB. I use Rivia Tuner to limit the FPS to 30. I just wanna simulatte the PS4 Pro as closely as possible, but I can't find the equivalent settings anywhere.
Check out the video I linked to 2 posts up from yours. Digital Foundry talks about trying to match PS4 Pro quality settings while maintaining 60fps at 1080p.

SmartBase

Is there a setting that only affects cutscene quality? In my playthrough I was averaging around 57FPS but some cutscenes really tanked (to 30 or so) and I could never figure out why.

daninthemix

I just played through the first mission, arrived at the Nexus and I got a display driver crash. Not sure if it's coincidental but it happened two seconds after I changed the audio from Stereo to Surround.

Nothing is overclocked, except the MSI Gaming 1080 which has a factory overclock I believe. Since I'm only running at 1080p I don't think I'm pushing it too hard.

Renekton

i was hosting :( even capping at 60 has stutters. at first i thought it might be some soft lock on or something but i can get it just looking at the sky
Rats 😖

If no CPU/RAM bottlenecks, better wait for patches. The entire MP is just wonky as hell.

masterkajo

i was hosting :( even capping at 60 has stutters. at first i thought it might be some soft lock on or something but i can get it just looking at the sky

What cpu do you have? I find that my old i5-2500k (even @4.4GHz) has trouble with the multiplayer and has a lot of slowdowns if I am the host. Being the Client really helps to keep the cpu load < 100%

Taggen86

For you guys with GTX 1080s, what resolution settings are you using for now later in the game (in my case snow and jungle planets)?
The highest resolution I can get a locked 60 fps 99 percent of the time with a mix of high and ultra settings and temporal anti aliasing is 0.65 resolution scaling (1404p). Is that representative of what u get?

For you guys with GTX 1080s, what resolution settings are you using for now later in the game (in my case snow and jungle planets)?
The highest resolution I can get a locked 60 fps 99 percent of the time with a mix of high and ultra settings and temporal anti aliasing is 0.65 resolution scaling (1404p). Is that representative of what u get?
Pretty much. But I play@50fps so I go to 0.75. And apart from the weird frame rate issues on the Tempest and some galaxy maps it's pretty consistent.

Taggen86

Pretty much. But I play@50fps so I go to 0.75. And apart from the weird frame rate issues on the Tempest and some galaxy maps it's pretty consistent.

Ok good. Also used 0.7-0.75 scaling when I playing at 50 fps locked. Shifted to 60 fps when i realized that something is wrong with the HDR at 50hz. The colors are washed out and the HDR is not as impactful. I do not know why. So all you guys who game in HDR do not lock the frame rate to 50hz using the in game option, you miss a lot of eye candy!

Ok good. Also used 0.7-0.75 scaling when I playing at 50 fps locked. Shifted to 60 fps when i realized that something is wrong with the HDR at 50hz. The colors are washed out and the HDR is not as impactful. I do not know why. So all you guys who game in HDR do not lock the frame rate to 50hz, you miss a lot of eye candy!

Depends how I guess, I cap the framerate with RTSS and it's fine.

Ok good. Also used 0.7-0.75 scaling when I playing at 50 fps locked. Shifted to 60 fps when i realized that something is wrong with the HDR at 50hz. The colors are washed out and the HDR is not as impactful. I do not know why. So all you guys who game in HDR do not lock the frame rate to 50hz, you miss a lot of eye candy!
What display/TV do you use (I have a Samsung KS7500/8500)? HDR seems fine for me (certainly not washed out) but I'll check all the same.

Taggen86

What display/TV do you use (I have a Samsung KS7500/8500)? HDR seems fine for me (certainly not washed out) but I'll check all the same.

Yeah, just to be sure, go to a bright colorful enviroment (ex eos or some remenant ruins and shift between 60 hz and 50 hz using the in game options. For me, hdr colors are washed out in 50 hz but not in 30 or 60.

I have the b6 oled. However, I do not think it is a tv related issue (but you never know)

Taggen86

Depends how I guess, I cap the framerate with RTSS and it's fine.

You are correct, just tried it. Capping the frame rate to 50 fps using the RTSS in combination with v sync do not lead to the same issues. however I am getting some stuttering that I didnt experience in 60 fps.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Am I the only one who having problems with Ansel on Aya? Sometimes it works fine and sometimes just freezes the game outright. Also, Frostbite engine does not work properly in this game, there's ALOT of texture / shadows flickering, visual bugs and all sorts of things you wouldn't expect from a game developed on Frostbite, even DAI didn't had so many visual problems (if at all). Sometimes I can't even make cool screenshots using Ansel cuz Improperly working engine ruins the end shot.

There's ALOT of work needs to be done to fix the game's problems and I hope they are willing to fix them all.

daninthemix

What is up with the main character's eyes? They keep rolling back into his skull, leaving just freaky white cue ball eyes. Did I just get really unlucky with the character creator?

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
WTF is wrong with the performance in these locations on Tempest:

wmQsmOc.jpg

kUgBSY8.jpg

AZL0kOA.jpg
I'm getting redicilous FPS drops to low 40s and sometimes to high 30s for no fucking reason. Sometimes the game runs fine in these locations and sometimes it runs like crap. The fuck is this? Am I the only one with this problem?

GavinUK86

cross posting from the mea patch thread:

on pc the graphics options are now all separated. you have a motion blur on/off toggle and a off/low/medium/high/ultra setting for dof. the framebuffer toggle has been moved from the video to graphic screen too.

i know this is personal preference but i think no dof in conversations looks so much better.

i think this is new but i've noticed you can assign keyboard shortcuts for the dialogue options now.

like i said, no dof make it look better and the eye shaders, and possible skin shaders, does go a long way to making everyone look less doll-like.

dr_rus

I'm getting redicilous FPS drops to low 40s and sometimes to high 30s for not fucking reason. Sometimes the game runs fine in these locations and sometimes it runs like crap. The fuck is this? Am I the only one with this problem?

No. Tempest sometimes tanks way below the rest of the game. Likely because they don't optimize the changing outside of the Tempest too well.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well

I'm getting redicilous FPS drops to low 40s and sometimes to high 30s for not fucking reason. Sometimes the game runs fine in these locations and sometimes it runs like crap. The fuck is this? Am I the only one with this problem?

Not just you, my 1070 cries stuttering fps tears, every time I run to or from the bridge.

I'm actually glad to know, that it's not just me.

GavinUK86

No. Tempest sometimes tanks way below the rest of the game. Likely because they don't optimize the changing outside of the Tempest too well.

Not just you, my 1070 cries stuttering fps tears, every time I run to or from the bridge.

Same here. I'm running on M/H on a 970 and running around the Tempest is very stuttery. Lowest framerates I've seen is about 45/50fps. My GPU usage jumps to 100% in random areas too, like looking at Suvi, at the R&D table and around the Nomad.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
So... with DoF and Motion Blur separated out, what does the Post Process setting even mean now?

I'm getting redicilous FPS drops to low 40s and sometimes to high 30s for no fucking reason. Sometimes the game runs fine in these locations and sometimes it runs like crap. The fuck is this? Am I the only one with this problem?
I get the same thing with the second floor of the Nexus dock area. Near the big tree... Drops from 70fps to a stuttering 30ish.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo

Same here. I'm running on M/H on a 970 and running around the Tempest is very stuttery. Lowest framerates I've seen is about 45/50fps. My GPU usage jumps to 100% in random areas too, like looking at Suvi, at the R&D table and around the Nomad.

I get the same thing with the second floor of the Nexus dock area. Near the big tree... Drops from 70fps to a stuttering 30ish.
This should be their one of the first priorities for the next patch, And yeah, frame drops occurs not only on Tempest. I mean, you just know that there's something horribly wrong if the game works really well during intense firefights, but then tanks the framerate to goddamn 30s for no reason during the very peaceful scenes and world exploration and your perfectly working hardware has nothing to do with all this shit.

b0uncyfr0

God dammit - i cant deal with this combat FOV. Someone please tell me theres a way to increase? Whose bright idea was it to shove the camera so close to the damn character that you cant see sh*t around you!

Grassy

God dammit - i cant deal with this combat FOV. Someone please tell me theres a way to increase? Whose bright idea was it to shove the camera so close to the damn character that you cant see sh*t around you!

If you download Hattiwatti's camera tool, you can adjust the FOV with page up and page down during gameplay - https://twitter.com/Hattiwatt1/status/846263602566905856

Just start it up and keep it running while you're playing Andromeda.

I have no idea if there's a config/console command for FOV.

Top Bottom