• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Performance Thread

prag16

Banned
New Nvidia driver out for Mass Effect. Not tried it yet. Any differences, improvements etc?

"For Mass Effect?" The only note I see is something regarding memory errors on 1080tis. Was there anything else noted for this driver with regard to Mass Effect? All I see is that one line.

Just tried Andromeda for first time after the Creators Update that added HDR to Windows 10. With it turned off Andromeda won't play in HDR. It does with W10 HDR on but the desktop looks like shit. The Google page looks very dim and overall it's grey and colourless.
As per usual another fuck up by Microshit.
Edit: Looks like it's a fuck up by Nvidia. Their recent driver screws up HDR in the Creators Update. So I'll go back to an earlier driver. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Kiyoshi

Yeah, same problem for me. I rolled back to nvidia driver 378.92 which disables the creator functionality and restores full screen HDR in Andromeda.

Mannnn I actually have issues with Mass Effect Andromeda and Windows 10 creators update. It's not letting users run it at fullscreen and the only solution is to use borderless and/or putting your refresh rate 1 lower (i have a 1440p gsync monitor)

;_;

Kiyoshi

Mannnn I actually have issues with Mass Effect Andromeda and Windows 10 creators update. It's not letting users run it at fullscreen and the only solution is to use borderless and/or putting your refresh rate 1 lower (i have a 1440p gsync monitor)

;_;

If you go back to nvidia driver 378.92 it'll disable the creators update as it's not compatible; so that might be a workaround to the problem. As mentioned above that's what I've done to enable full screen HDR since the creators update and newer drivers broke it.

No good if you need the newer drivers and/or want the creators update for other reasons though. I'm using this PC as an Andromeda only box until I finish, so it's fine for me.

b0uncyfr0

Is anyone with a 1070 getting the out of memory DX11 error msg ; cause i still am. Ive allocated 15gb of Swap space. The damn game doesnt use any bloody vram.

Fixed by dropping a few settings to High and using system managed page file.

Patch 1.07 is out.

No patch notes, but I have no sound now... ...and it refuses to launch in fullscreen... ...or give up control of the mouse when I ALT-TAB... ...so I'm guessing it screwed something up.

dr_rus

;_;

Did you try going into game's EXE properties, Compatibility tab, and checking "Disable fullscreen optimizations"?

ymvc.png

Taggen86

So have they fixed hdr in mass effect with the new patch and/or the latest nvidia driver? It was impossible to activate it using the windows creators update. I currently use an old nvidia driver from early april where hdr works in me and I have ignored the latest game ready drivers because the ones I tried disable hdr.

Lyng

Just installed the game. Keep getting directx error crash. Have a 970gtx, 8gb ram, i5 3500.

And the game runs smooth on ultra and then just crashes after cutscenes.

Kiyoshi

So have they fixed hdr in mass effect with the new patch and/or the latest nvidia driver? It was impossible to activate it using the windows creators update. I currently use an old nvidia driver from early april where hdr works in me and I have ignored the latest game ready drivers because the ones I tried disable hdr.

I'd like to know this, before I install the latest driver. Running a really old version now; to the point where even Windows was updating it. So I've had to disable windows driver updates and stick to this old driver version.

sgs2008

Im still getting the damn direct x memory error making the game unplayable. Changing page file settings doesnthelp. Argh.

Did you turn on HDR in the Windows display settings? Or is this an Nvidia driver issue?

Lyng

Im still getting the damn direct x memory error making the game unplayable. Changing page file settings doesnthelp. Argh.

Completely removing the graphics driver and installing the newest aswell as running on High instead of ultra did the trick for me. However had to ude a program to ensure the driver was 100% gone.

Kiyoshi

Did you turn on HDR in the Windows display settings? Or is this an Nvidia driver issue?

Full screen HDR in Andromeda just doesn't work with the last few nvidia drivers (which enable the Windows creators update) whether the windows HDR option is turned on or not.

dr_rus

Full screen HDR in Andromeda just doesn't work with the last few nvidia drivers (which enable the Windows creators update) whether the windows HDR option is turned on or not.

Judging from some presentations of late NV seems to suggest for the devs to patch their games to make HDR work in Win10 CU. For example, pages 53-54. Notice that they seem to suggest that it's not possible to use "Pre-RS2" HDR solution in RS2/CU/1703. The only reason why this would be the case is if MS has plugged the loophole they've used previously.

How's AMD doing with HDR in 1703?

Taggen86

I cannot get it to work using the more recent drivers regardless of whether ot not I have turned on HDR in windows. To get it to work using the creators update I (and many others) need to use an old driver: 378.92 that came out before creators update. If anyone has got it to work using the creators update and more recent nvidia drivers than 378.92, please respond in this thread.

I cannot get it to work using the more recent drivers regardless of whether ot not I have turned on HDR in windows. To get it to work using the creators update I (and many others) need to use an old driver: 378.92 that came out before creators update. If anyone has got it to work using the creators update and more recent nvidia drivers than 378.92, please respond in this thread.

Ah, I know ever since Windows update the HDR option is grayed out in Mass Effect for me unless I have it turned on in Windows as well, was worth asking. I'm using an AMD GPU, so can't help you WRT Nvidia drivers, HDR works for me.
I haven't tried the driver they just pushed out yet, though.

Vlaphor

Just started playing this and I'm getting the same issues that I got on Nier Automata: Runs fine in 4k, but has terrible framepacing issues. My system is a I7 4790k with 16gb of ram and a 1080ti. I have everything maxed out, but I could probably drop some of the AA, and I've also disabled film grain, chromatic aberration, and motion blur since I don't like those. I can drop it down to 2560x1440 and it runs great, but this card should be able to do 4k, especially in Nier. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?

Just started playing this and I'm getting the same issues that I got on Nier Automata: Runs fine in 4k, but has terrible framepacing issues. My system is a I7 4790k with 16gb of ram and a 1080ti. I have everything maxed out, but I could probably drop some of the AA, and I've also disabled film grain, chromatic aberration, and motion blur since I don't like those. I can drop it down to 2560x1440 and it runs great, but this card should be able to do 4k, especially in Nier. Is there something I'm doing wrong here?
Some games just have wonky framepacing. Use RTSS and set a framerate limit and that should fix it right up.

Renekton

What RAM speed you running?

I had HDR10 working with the creators update and nvidia drivers ver 382.33. But it only worked if I turned on the HDR option in the display settings, then set the color options in the nvidia control panel to RGB 12bit @ 30Hz. It wouldn't work any other way. Even then it wouldn't really work right from the start. For some reason, in order to get the colors to display correctly, I would have to let the game sit without any input for a while. My screen would eventually dim, then go to a screen saver, then when the input started again and the screen woke up, the game would display HDR10 properly. I know that doesn't make any sense, but that is the only way it would work with my titan pascal and LG oled b6p. 382.53 breaks HDR again and Dolby Vision does not work for me; it seems to make my TV fight between HDR and Dolby Vision, it keeps flipping back and forth and eventually settles on a pink screen.

I had HDR10 working with the creators update and nvidia drivers ver 382.33. But it only worked if I turned on the HDR option in the display settings, then set the color options in the nvidia control panel to RGB 12bit @ 30Hz. It wouldn't work any other way. Even then it wouldn't really work right from the start. For some reason, in order to get the colors to display correctly, I would have to let the game sit without any input for a while. My screen would eventually dim, then go to a screen saver, then when the input started again and the screen woke up, the game would display HDR10 properly. I know that doesn't make any sense, but that is the only way it would work with my titan pascal and LG oled b6p. 382.53 breaks HDR again and Dolby Vision does not work for me; it seems to make my TV fight between HDR and Dolby Vision, it keeps flipping back and forth and eventually settles on a pink screen.

Do a clean install of 378.92 and set the game to 1080p/60hz. both HDR 10 and Dolby Vision work in that version (even on the creator's update). Playing the game in Dolby Vision is worth downgrading the driver, imo.

Playing the game 1080p on a 4K screen?

yep. I'd much rather have 1080p/60 than 4k/30

Even a Titan x pascal can't maintain 60 fps in that game @ 4k on 'ultra' settings.. so I'd have dropped to 1080p for consistent performance anyway.

Dolby Vision won't work at 4k/60, though HDR 10 will, DV looks better.

I have a 65" OLED B6P myself.

Do a clean install of 378.92 and set the game to 1080p/60hz. both HDR 10 and Dolby Vision work in that version (even on the creator's update). Playing the game in Dolby Vision is worth downgrading the driver, imo.

I tried clean installs of that version and it didn't work properly, HDR10 would turn on in game and on the TV, but the color would wash out. It didn't look good at all. I don't remember if I tried it at 1080p, but I'll give it another go.

Playing the game 1080p on a 4K screen?

Games and blu rays at 1080p actually don't look bad on the LG OLEDs. The TVs up scale really well

dr_rus

I tried clean installs of that version and it didn't work properly, HDR10 would turn on in game and on the TV, but the color would wash out. It didn't look good at all. I don't remember if I tried it at 1080p, but I'll give it another go.

Have you tried the 382.53 driver released yesterday? There are some reports that it fixes the washed out colors issue.

Have you tried the 382.53 driver released yesterday? There are some reports that it fixes the washed out colors issue.

Hdr10 seems to work, the colors don't wash out, but the screen dims. Something definitely doesn't seem right. Dolby Vision does not work at all, although I didn't try it @ 1080p yet

Hdr10 seems to work, the colors don't wash out, but the screen dims. Something definitely doesn't seem right. Dolby Vision does not work at all, although I didn't try it @ 1080p yet

yeah.. on the new nvidia driver, Dolby Vision just gives me the pink screen. HDR 10 works, but I don't think it looks right either.

So far for me, DV only works on 378.92.

yeah.. on the new nvidia driver, Dolby Vision just gives me the pink screen. HDR 10 works, but I don't think it looks right either.

So far for me, DV only works on 378.92.

What color settings are you using for DV with 378.92?

EDIT: Just did a clean install of 378.92, and DV works at 1080p 60hz. But now I get this issue every time I exit the game, my TV goes black with an invalid format message. I can't get out of it and end up having to power down the computer from the tower.

EDIT2: well it only worked once, now I get a black screen every time I launch the game. This frustrating...

What color settings are you using for DV with 378.92?

EDIT: Just did a clean install of 378.92, and DV works at 1080p 60hz. But now I get this issue every time I exit the game, my TV goes black with an invalid format message. I can't get out of it and end up having to power down the computer from the tower.

my desktop res is 4k/60hz

my color is set to RGB full, 8 bpc.

I haven't had that error when exiting Mass Effect. It just triggers DV when I start the game and exits cleanly without errors when I quit the game.

Taggen86

Now he has also uploaded a video of mass effect in 4k/60 dolby vision:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XC5DiQYjlwQ&feature=youtu.be

After some testing I can confirm that dolby vision do work using he latest nvidia driver on the creators update if you set the pc to RGB full before starting andromeda. However, again, for me, it only works in 1080/60 and 4k/30. It is not possible to activate dolby vision in 4k/60, at least not on my 2016 b6 oled. My guess is that it only works on 2017 oleds, explaining why Bahn Yuki was able to do it on his tv while most people are not able to do so (just check neogaf). I think it may have something to do with the SoC.

Our 2016 oleds are clearly not future proof since they do not support dolby vision 4k/60

daninthemix

Game just crashed during a boss fight because the boss died while I was looting a body and it couldn't figure out how to deal with that.

What a fucking piece of shit.

Taggen86

The new patch released today says:
[PC] Improved HDR functionality on Windows 10 Creators Update

Has anyone tried mass effect on the latest nvidia driver and on this new patch? Are the HDR10 issues fixed and can you finally activate HDR10 using the latest nvidia driver on the creators update?

Has anyone tried mass effect on the latest nvidia driver and on this new patch? Are the HDR10 issues fixed and can you finally activate HDR10 using the latest nvidia driver on the creators update?

Also wondering if this addressed the DV issues I was having.

I could get it to work in game, but if i closed the application with it enabled, i'd get a black screen (in full screen mode) the next time i opened the app. Had to then alt tab to get it to window, change to HDR10, apply, then change back to DV and fullscreen and apply again.

Kiyoshi

Doesn't work. It's still the same. I've finished the game now (though still installed) so I've updated my drivers. So I'm in a good position to test this now when game updates come out.

Full screen in-game HDR still doesn't activate with the latest nvidia drivers and game update. I don't want to use windows HDR implementation because for general windows use it isn't feasible (I want non-HDR full dynamic range RGB for windows use) yet I want the in-game implementation of HDR to kick in when in full-screen mode. Not sure why that is so hard for Bioware to achieve.

dr_rus

Doesn't work. It's still the same. I've finished the game now (though still installed) so I've updated my drivers. So I'm in a good position to test this now when game updates come out.

Full screen in-game HDR still doesn't activate with the latest nvidia drivers and game update. I don't want to use windows HDR implementation because for general windows use it isn't feasible (I want non-HDR full dynamic range RGB for windows use) yet I want the in-game implementation of HDR to kick in when in full-screen mode. Not sure why that is so hard for Bioware to achieve.

Windows 10 1703 control HDR in any mode, desktop or fullscreen, and there's simply no way to have it active in fullscreen and inactive on desktop. CU also override old IHV APIs so they don't really work anymore in CU. Hopefully MS will do something with this in 1709.

Top Bottom