• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Performance Thread

Renekton

Is it normal to have like 60-80 fps in game and then 30-35 during cutscenes or dialogues?

980ti 1440p ultra preset btw..
Yeah cutscenes are more demanding than normal gameplay for reasons we currently don't know.

980Ti doing 1440p ultra 80fps is surprising to me tho

God dammit - i cant deal with this combat FOV. Someone please tell me theres a way to increase? Whose bright idea was it to shove the camera so close to the damn character that you cant see sh*t around you!
You can adjust FOV in gameplay settings, it's right under subtitles.

b0uncyfr0

You can adjust FOV in gameplay settings, it's right under subtitles.

This one is stupid. Push it far enough to pull the combat camera back enough to look decent makes the exploration camera fish-eyed. Thats why i said 'combat fov' not exploration fov as that setting affects both.

This one is stupid. Push it far enough to pull the combat camera back enough to look decent makes the exploration camera fish-eyed. Thats why i said 'combat fov' not exploration fov as that setting affects both.

Oh, I've been using it in Ultrawide, looks fine at 21:9. Not sure how it looks at 16:9 though, sorry.

dr_rus

Yeah cutscenes are more demanding than normal gameplay for reasons we currently don't know.

980Ti doing 1440p ultra 80fps is surprising to me tho

Turn DOF down a notch or two and you'll get the same framerates in cutscenes as in gameplay. DOF at Ultra is very demanding.

Menome

Are there any performance improvements from the patch?

Completely anecdotal, but I'm getting less stuttering in certain areas than I used to (Conference table/Research room on the Tempest, marketplace in Aya, driving around in the desert near the colony).

prag16

Banned
Are there any performance improvements from the patch?

I posted a few thoughts in the patch thread, but the long and short of it for me after 3 hours was that if anything, performance got slightly worse. But not certain yet as the drops I saw were in some more demanding situations than the norm.

bongpig

Neo Member
Had a few hours left on the trial so I reinstalled to see if the latest patch helps with my stutter issues. Unfortunately no difference. I'm testing a scene on Eros,where my FPS is 80+ with vsync off, and yet with vsync on, the framerate regularly dips below 60. It seems a touch better when I use NVCP vsync and RTSS, but the issue is still there. Enough to make it unplayable for me personally.

Oh well.... uninstall once again. Just have to accept that this is a game im not going to play.

prag16

Banned
Oh well.... uninstall once again. Just have to accept that this is a game im not going to play.
That's an interesting definition of unplayable. Assuming you can't play console games then?

Why not play with vsync off if you get 80+? Do you get tearing with it off or something?

sgs2008

Sigh still getting this damn direct x error that wont let me play at all, Have a save trying to lend from the ship onto eos it just keeps crashing. Tried reinstalling drivers with no luck and increasing pagefile size.

Taggen86

That's an interesting definition of unplayable. Assuming you can't play console games then?

Why not play with vsync off if you get 80+? Do you get tearing with it off or something?

I get lots of tearing with v sync off. Even when my fps is well above 60 fps. As a result there is no other choice than using v sync and dropping the resolution. Something is strange here. I use a gtx 1080 and the highest resolution I can get a locked 60 fps 99 percent of the time in high/ultra settings is 1404p (0.65 of 4k). Tempest, kadara and havarl are especially demanding. In sections that are not open world I can get 1500-1600p without drops. Mass effect andromeda is by far the most demanding game I have ever tried on my 1080 and I think many parts of the game is not well optimized. However it is also often the best looking game I have ever played as well. The dungeons, the tempest, eos and havarl are insane in hdr. I just wist I didnt have to spend so much time in the graphic options menu to get that perfect 60 fps at high resolutions...

bongpig

Neo Member

Yeah, I know I sound picky! But in truth I really refuse to play anything that doesn't run at a rock solid 60fps. So, yes, that means consoles are out for me.

kuoniradha

Neo Member
Had a few hours left on the trial so I reinstalled to see if the latest patch helps with my stutter issues. Unfortunately no difference. I'm testing a scene on Eros,where my FPS is 80+ with vsync off, and yet with vsync on, the framerate regularly dips below 60. It seems a touch better when I use NVCP vsync and RTSS, but the issue is still there. Enough to make it unplayable for me personally.

Set your display's refresh rate to 60 Hz and set the game to Borderless Window. From the game and from NVCP disable any VSync and triple buffering option and... You should be good to go.

bongpig

Neo Member
Set your display's refresh rate to 60 Hz and set the game to Borderless Window. From the game and from NVCP disable any VSync and triple buffering option and... You should be good to go.

Thanks for the tip, but unfortunately ive tried that with no joy. Ive tried every combination of in-game/NVCP/RTSS/NVinspector. While some configurations are better than others, none of them kill the stutter completely.

Frustrating to say the least, seeing my CPU and GPU sitting at 50%-60% and yet I'm getting frame drops consistently.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
DOF at Ultra is very demanding.
I turned off DOF entirely mostly because how shitty it looks it this game and in comparison with DXMD. I don't even know if it's BioWare's fault (mostly likely they can't implement it well) or it's just an engine issue.

Btw, is there a way to fix or increase LOD for shadows / shadows distance? I know most you (probably) don't use Ansel to take screenshots, but I do use it alot in this game to take screenshots in very high resolution, but shitty LOD for shadows / shadow distance (amongst other things) is just killing me and ruins the shots! Here's a few examples (resized to 720p - originals is 15K wide):

r7JUP4x.jpg

HvmbAif.jpg

xsOdVse.jpg

DhaVYfJ.jpg

Or maybe it's an issue with Ansel? I just want to understand what's causing this.

Wow this game runs like ass on my 970 and 3770k @4.5 on the high preset. Possible to get a locked 60?
Drop shadows, vegetation and decals to medium. It's rock solid at 1080p on my GTX 1060 using those settings while the rest are on high or ultra. Though it still drops rarely from time to time usually on the tempest for some reason.

Wow this game runs like ass on my 970 and 3770k @4.5 on the high preset. Possible to get a locked 60?
IIRC, I dropped shadows, post-processing, and something else from High to Medium, since those are the settings with the biggest graphics impact. It's mostly 60FPS with a few drops in cutscenes for some reason.

dr_rus

Or maybe it's an issue with Ansel? I just want to understand what's causing this.

It's a bad implementation of Ansel which is the cause. They need to reconfigure the engine for Ansel superresolution tiled shots, they need to keep the HBAO working in Ansel - and none of this is happening. As of right now, Ansel is basically unusable in MEA because of quality issues.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
It's a bad implementation of Ansel which is the cause. They need to reconfigure the engine for Ansel superresolution tiled shots, they need to keep the HBAO working in Ansel - and none of this is happening. As of right now, Ansel is basically unusable in MEA because of quality issues.
Ansel works fine sometimes, but it also not capturing post effects like lens flares etc. when you trying to make super resolution shots, but it captures them in native resolutions.

Native 1080p:

Ansel super resolution:

I really hope they'll improve Ansel support in future patches.

prag16

Banned
IIRC, I dropped shadows, post-processing, and something else from High to Medium, since those are the settings with the biggest graphics impact. It's mostly 60FPS with a few drops in cutscenes for some reason.
2550k/970 here and I can second this. Cutscenes and the Nexus have something drops but gameplay mostly a solid 60.

I have a 1060 6GB and a 2550k @ 4.5 GHz, and while I've only played through the intro and up until Eos, I've been able to get a nearly locked 60 on Habitat 7 in the intro, and while running around on Eos with these settings: Some drops in the Tempest, and something about the conversation cutscenes makes them really demanding.

rdVvTc8.png

fsr933B.png

Here's what I would suggest for you, since the 970 is a bit slower than a 1060. Start with the High preset. Bump up Texture Quality to Ultra if you have the VRAM to spare, and Texture Filtering to Ultra. If you're forcing 16x AF in the Nvidia Control Panel, change that to Application Controlled. In-game texture filtering is slightly faster. Change Texture Filtering Quality to High Performance in the Nvidia Control Panel. The visual difference is pratically non-existent, and there is a notable boost to performance.

Drop Shadows, Terrain, and Vegetation to Medium. This should now be a match for PS4 Pro settings, with better texture filtering, and textures if you have enough VRAM for Ultra. Drop Ambient Occlusion to SSAO if you are still short of 60 fps, and that should be a match for PS4 and Xbox One settings, aside from resolution. Set Framebuffer Format to Compressed (32 bits), as Half16 (64 bits) does incur a performance hit and the visual difference is pratically non-existent. Increasing the FOV does incur a small performance hit as well, so be careful with that. If you're still not happy with the level of performance after all of this, I would suggest lowering Texture Filtering to High, and/or using the custom resolution scale option and trying something like 0.90. DO NOT set Lighting Quality any lower than High unless you want everyone to look literally really rough for some reason. Same goes for Mesh Quality, leave that on High unless you don't mind your characters having pointy elf ears.

One last thing, I set a framerate limit of 60 in RTSS, in conjunction with Vsync and Triple Buffering in-game to smooth out the framepacing. Borderless Fullscreen also comes with a small performance hit so it's best to avoid it.

thalixte

I have a question regarding framerate drops in the Tempest, especially into the corridor.

The first screenshot is taken in borderless window mode, with vsync on:
s6mAfiu.jpg

The second one is taken with gsync on:
V43ypa8.jpg

Firstly, can someone familiar with the Frostbite engine explain me why those graphs are so different between vsync on and gsync on.

Secondly, can someone explain me what SIM means ? Thks by advance...

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Tempest is very unoptimised right now. On the surface of planets I'm getting like 100+ FPS in 1080p and 98% max settings (72-85 FPS in some of the Hubs which can be explained by a ton of NPCs and all that), but on Tempest FPS is very unstable with stuttering, micro freezes and so on. I hope they are fixing this right now for the next patch.

Also, on the Elaaden I'm getting crashes like 2-3 times during 7-8 hour session, also and while driving Nomad sometimes its just stops moving (kinda like its hanging in air) and I can't do anything with it, but I can move camera and the world around me is working fine. Hell if I know what's causing this.

Oh and.... it's okay if I install the game on my SSD with OS on it? It's just I use it only for OS and a couple of programs....

dr_rus

Haven't crashed for me once during the 80+ hours I've put into it already but the amount of purely in game scripting bugs is astounding. This game will need a lot of new patches.

lazerfox

Haven't crashed for me once during the 80+ hours I've put into it already but the amount of purely in game scripting bugs is astounding. This game will need a lot of new patches.

Yeah that's what keeps me from playing the game. I'm 30h in and I feel like I shouldn't be playing right now and just wait till they're done patching it.

Shame. Actually I was having a lot of fun but it just doesn't feel like a finished game.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
117 hours here already and I haven't encountered any game-breaking or quest-breaking bugs. The game started crashing after the last patch. Re-install it to my SDD, works a little bit better now and loads faster, no crashes so far and I'm starting to think that maybe it was related to mechanical HDD but I'm not 100% sure about this yet. Will play more, we'll see.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I love this game. The entire level like this.

giphy.gif
Yep, I've seen the same shit there. At first I thought that maybe all this is related to my GPU or a GPU driver, but nope, it's just one of the graphical glitches and there's a shit ton of them in the game, not as bad as this one though.

The Dude

What I'm bugged at is I just got my aorus 1080 ti and I don't know if it's my gpu or if the issues I'm having are because this game is just a technical turd. I'm locking up on the load bar at times.. But it doesn't say not responding in task manager which makes me wonder if it's the game or if my Psu might not be pushing the new gpu enough.

But when the game Is running its fine, it's just I'll eventually hit a lock up moment. Locked 60, Temps mid 60s at 4k. However thr frame pacing seems off at times.

And I occasionally got through Dx error, is that totally random for people or...?

I love this game. The entire level like this.

giphy.gif

Same thing happened to me in that area.

What I'm bugged at is I just got my aorus 1080 ti and I don't know if it's my gpu or if the issues I'm having are because this game is just a technical turd. I'm locking up on the load bar at times.. But it doesn't say not responding in task manager which makes me wonder if it's the game or if my Psu might not be pushing the new gpu enough.

But when the game Is running its fine, it's just I'll eventually hit a lock up moment. Locked 60, Temps mid 60s at 4k. However thr frame pacing seems off at times.

And I occasionally got through Dx error, is that totally random for people or...?

I have the exact same hangs and crashes on a much older PC.

Also checking APEX missions or that other thing after returning to the Tempest always crashes my game.

Runs fine in even the most intense battles and scenery though.

Okay. Why the fucking fuck am I using 20GB of memory which gives me a fucking out of fucking memory error which fucking forces me to do a fucking reboot? How the fuck does this game use so much?
Yes, I'm playing at 4K. I am at near enough Ultra in the game. I have a 1080ti and 4790k i7,16GB DDR3 2133RAM and an SSD. I gave myself a 15GB pagefile thinking it would solve my earlier Out of memory crashes, but nope. Why is this happening?

Akronis

Okay. Why the fucking fuck am I using 20GB of memory which gives me a fucking out of fucking memory error which fucking forces me to do a fucking reboot? How the fuck does this game use so much?
Yes, I'm playing at 4K. I am at near enough Ultra in the game. I have a 1080ti and 4790k i7,16GB DDR3 2133RAM and an SSD. I gave myself a 15GB pagefile thinking it would solve my earlier Out of memory crashes, but nope. Why is this happening?

Memory leak most likely. Wait for a patch to fix it.

dr_rus

The game is up there with the more memory hungry games. I've seen ~18GB RAM / 24GB PF usage at places.

Taggen86

The new windows update which brought native hdr support for windows has completely broken HDR in mass effect on pc. I cannot get HDR10 it to display correctly in game anymore. Anyone who has found a solution to this problem? GTX 1080, b6 oled

Kiyoshi

Anyone know how I can configure and test HDR with this? I have a new TV that supports HDR and I heard that the latest windows 10 update introduced support. I can see the option in the graphics setting (set to auto) but not sure if it's working, or even what to look for. I heard there may be windows or driver display settings I may need to change.

Kiyoshi

I've got HDR working now. It was a bit fiddly. I had to turn on the 'HDMI UHD Color' setting for the input in the TV expert settings.

I also had to adjust the colour and contrast settings to get things looking good (as it introduced a grey 'washed out' look). Part of that is intentional due to the way HDR works I think (it ramps up the backlight and makes other adjustments) but it looks incredible now. I haven't experienced anything better looking in gaming; it looks phenomenal.

Just got a 1440 Gsync monitor. I was playing on 1080p before and getting locked 60 on ultra. Now it's dropping to low 50s/ high 40s.

What settings can I drop without sacrificing much visually? I'm assuming hbao full down to just hbao is the first step. Anything else?

I have a 6600k and 1070 btw.

Just got a 1440 Gsync monitor. I was playing on 1080p before and getting locked 60 on ultra. Now it's dropping to low 50s/ high 40s.

What settings can I drop without sacrificing much visually? I'm assuming hbao full down to just hbao is the first step. Anything else?

I have a 6600k and 1070 btw.
IIRC, shadows and post processing kick the shit out of CPUs. There's a graph a few pages back that shows the settings with the biggest impact on performance.

Top Bottom