• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mass Effect: Andromeda PC Performance Thread

Anyone else having FPS issues comparatively between today and over the weekend? I didn't see any game update happen, but I was running everyhing ultra besides shadows and shaders which were on high, on 1440p, no triple buffering, and capped it at 30 fps with zero issues, and now today, it's completely tanked.

Running:
FX-8350
R9 390X 8GB
16 GB DDR3 Ram
Drivers: 17.2.1 (Hasn't changed since the 21st)

kuoniradha

Neo Member
Anyone else not get Nvidia adaptive vsync to work with this game?

I find that the game runs the smoothest and isn't nearly as stuttery feeling when I have it set to fullscreen w/ in game vsync turned off.

I have adaptive vsync turned on in my nvidia control panel but I am noticing tearing in game, and this is when my fps is at 60fps solid.

I've found that Fast Sync yields very good results, no tearing, no stutter, no judder. Fast sync on from the NVCP and game set to fullscreen without in-game VSync/Triple Buffer. Supposedly Fast Sync is better than Windows' own forced sync that activates when you put the game to borderless window.

Anyone else having FPS issues comparatively between today and over the weekend? I didn't see any game update happen, but I was running everyhing ultra besides shadows and shaders which were on high, on 1440p, no triple buffering, and capped it at 30 fps with zero issues, and now today, it's completely tanked.

That's probably just related to different scenes and zones having various performance issues or not.

b0bbyJ03

GTX 1080
3770K @ 4.3 Ghz
16 GB RAM
SSD
W10

Started this game yesterday and did no tweaking at all. Set it to Ultra and on a 144hz gsync monitor im getting very inconsistent performance. It runs between 55 fps to just over 100. It generally hovers around 85 but it's very janky. Not even gsync makes this game smooth. I'll be working a lot of hours this week and will not be able to mess around so any advice would be appreciated. Is there any way to smooth out the performance a little?

dr_rus

Played for about 5 hours yesterday, reached the Nexus.

Tried various options with v-sync (on/adaptive/in-game/forced/different prerender limits) and eventually settled on a non-vsynced, unlocked framerate option (limited at 122 fps for sanity's sake after seeing figures of ~5000 fps on the loading screens) as all vsynced modes produced some noticeable stuttering from time to time. In a completely unlocked way the game works great, no issues but occasional tearing to report (and I generally don't care much about tearing so this isn't even an issue to me).

GTX1080/6850K/2560x1600@Ultra

Gtx1070/i5 6600 3.2 GHz. Currently playing ultra on 1080p vsync on. my monitor is 60 hz. The game is holding smooth 60fps almost 99% of the time. Sometimes it dips to mid 50s when action gets really heavy.

Herne

Running:
FX-8350
R9 390X 8GB
16 GB DDR3 Ram
Drivers: 17.2.1 (Hasn't changed since the 21st)

Nope, everything is running fine on my i5 4690K and R9 390X, most settings at ultra at 1080P and typical fps ranging from 70-100+. I'm guessing your cpu is bottlenecking you. As noted above though, the frame rate drops to the 40's on Havarl. Thankfully, due to FreeSync I never notice it until I look at the Afterburner monitor.

Taggen86

Thanks for the response :)

I don't have Ybr444 with 10 bit option, only 8 bpc, but Ybr422 and 420 have 10 and 12 bit....I thought Ybr444 with 10bit isn't possible yet?
I do have RGB with 10bit option though, think I'll use that.

The only thing that option does is to provide 10 bit SDR in supported media, since windows do not support HDR yet at all (explaining why HDR is only possible in full screen mode). For HDR content, It does not matter what color setting you have in the nvidia panel as the display will automatically shift to 10 bit color using 4:2:0 or 4:2:2 when it receives the dynamic metadata from HDR games. So I would simply use RGB full at 8 bit in windows. See the link below for more info.

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/465-hi...22-10-bpc.html

Nope, everything is running fine on my i5 4690K and R9 390X, most settings at ultra at 1080P and typical fps ranging from 70-100+. I'm guessing your cpu is bottlenecking you. As noted above though, the frame rate drops to the 40's on Havarl. Thankfully, due to FreeSync I never notice it until I look at the Afterburner monitor.

Huh, thats very odd, i'll have to play around with cpu heavy settings and kill the antivirus and see if that improves things, thanks for the help!

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Why does this game run worse and worse every single day?

Ran fine yesterday, 40s to 60s

Dropped a few settings, now it's at 20fps, tried reupping them but nope

Lashley

Ok, works fine when it isn't the main window on borderless windowed so had to make it full screen again to fix it

Taggen86

I am getting random frame rate drops on eos and in the tempest even though either the GPU or the CPU is at 100 percent. What is up with this game? Can anyone explain these drops?

GTX 1080, i6 6600k, 0.7 resolution of 4k (1512p), mix of high and ultra settings (very difficult tp get a stable performance in 50hz or 60hz in this game above 1080p). Have anyone managed to get a locked frame rate in this game in several levels above 1440p?

I am loving the game btw. Feels like ME1 in a good way

b0bbyJ03

I am getting random frame rate drops on eos and in the tempest even though either the GPU or the CPU is at 100 percent. What is up with this game? Can anyone explain these drops?

GTX 1080, i6 6600k, 0.7 resolution of 4k (1512p), mix of high and ultra settings (very difficult tp get a stable performance in 50hz or 60hz in this game above 1080p). Have anyone managed to get a locked frame rate in this game in several levels above 1440p?

I am loving the game btw. Feels like ME1 in a good way

I came here to write this exact same thing. When I first got on the Tempest frames were smooth (GTX1080 as well, but playing at 1440p) and all of a sudden I went from consistently hitting mid 80s to 40 and even low 30s. It happened the whole time until I made it to Eos. After that it was smooth again. Can anyone confirm that this seems to be the way this game behaves?

Taggen86

I came here to write this exact same thing. When I first got on the Tempest frames were smooth (GTX1080 as well, but playing at 1440p) and all of a sudden I went from consistently hitting mid 80s to 40 and even low 30s. It happened the whole time until I made it to Eos. After that it was smooth again. Can anyone confirm that this seems to be the way this game behaves?

No drops in eos? Do you get insane drops when standing on the bridge close to the galaxy map?

DocEbok

This is the flickering issue I sometimes get, usually when looking at something very specific (eg: in the following example if I turn around the issue goes away). Anybody else have this problem? Downclocking my GPU doesn't seem to have an impact, so I doubt it's an unstable OC.

gifi1ovm.gif

Had that happen in exact same spot. But it was white flickering. Only in that spot for me

No drops in eos? Do you get insane drops when standing on the bridge close to the galaxy map?
I get the same issues whilst on the Tempest. Strangely if I go into the Research menu then back out my frame rate returns to normal. I was also having issues with the galaxy/system map. Some were tanking my frames by 15fps. I found turning Effects Quality down to High helped. But I still get bad frame rates on the Tempest regardless. This is with a 1080, a 4790@4.2ghz and 16GB 2133mhzRAM and an SSD.
To put it bluntly the game has issues.

Renekton

I get the same issues whilst on the Tempest. Strangely if I go into the Research menu then back out my frame rate returns to normal. I was also having issues with the galaxy/system map. Some were tanking my frames by 15fps. I found turning Effects Quality down to High helped. But I still get bad frame rates on the Tempest regardless. This is with a 1080, a 4790@4.2ghz and 16GB 2133mhzRAM and an SSD.
To put it bluntly the game has issues.
http://www.gamersnexus.net/game-bench/2859-mass-effect-andromeda-gpu-benchmark-fps-frametimes

Seems consistent with GN's findings that Tempest performance is wonky atm.

Now that it's been out, I just wanted to confirm, I'd get better performance/graphics on my rig than the PS4 version, right?

Nvidia 1070
16GB DDR3

manngc

Now that it's been out, I just wanted to confirm, I'd get better performance/graphics on my rig than the PS4 version, right?

Nvidia 1070
16GB DDR3

I got better performance than the PS4 version on my rig and it's far inferior to your:
Phenom II 6x @ 3.5Ghz
Nvidia 970
8GB DDR3

Soren01

And this works with any game? Thanks
I'm not sure, since this feature is in beta. I leave enabled because I usually test preview builds.

In my case, it was clear that it helped my system. I don't know if the game has a bug that steals PC resources inside Tempest and game mode corrected it.

theultimo

Decided on 1440p/30 for thia game on maxxed settings.

At 1080p high/ult the dips were just getting annoying at a stable 60. The upside is that ultra does make quite a difference from high settings.

1060/6600k/16gb 2133

Lashley

I'm not sure, since this feature is in beta. I leave enabled because I usually test preview builds.

In my case, it was clear that it helped my system. I don't know if the game has a bug that steals PC resources inside Tempest and game mode corrected it.

Thanks, I'll use it in future

Stiler

Thanks!
Anyone know the best settings for 1070 and 2500k? I heard high settings may cause problems on 2500k.

I'm on a similar system,

2600k (oc'd to 4.4ghz)
8gb ram

I run most things on ultra, shadows/lighting to high.

Generally hit the 60fps with some occasional drops to the 50'ish when the camera pans around a lot or a new scene loads.

Taggen86

Nvidia 1070
16GB DDR3

While you will def get higher performance with a 1070 in general I am not certain that you will get better graphics in 30 fps than a ps4 pro. Surprisingly, there is not a huge difference between PS4 PRO and a GTX 1080 if you run the game at 30 fps. The highest resolution I can get it locked to 30 fps at ultra settings on my 1080 is 1728p and CB 1800p in mass effect on the pro using a mix of high and ultra setting look fairly similar in comparison (if we ignore the performance problems on the PRO ). It demonstrates how much power the PRO preserves by using checkerboarding and how unoptimized the game is on pc.

According to this source PS pro use a mix of high and ultra settings:

http://gamingbolt.com/mass-effect-a...tter-somehwere-between-high-and-ultra-setting

Nekrono

To the people that are having random performance drops on the Tempest and Galaxy Map, it's usually related to the part of the Galaxy that you are currently in, most of the times it runs fine but in some parts of space, especially the ones where you have a debris field or a comet close by (even if you can't see it) the performance will tank due to particle effects and what not.

I've had my performance drop to less than 20 FPS when this happens, it may seem random but it's usually something around the Tempest that causes it. Aside from that there was just one other time that my FPS drop to around 10 in the Tempest and had to restart it to fix it.

theultimo

No game mode option for me
Are you running the insider preview for windows 10?

If not, its only in the latest update. 15063 currently.

It will be published next month though to everyone.

Its currently the build thats going to be released as well of you want to try it currently.

Lashley

Ah, makes sense.

Anyone else getting stutter? Not sure if its the game or my gsync monitor not working right

Akronis

While you will def get higher performance with a 1070 in general I am not certain that you will get better graphics in 30 fps than a ps4 pro. Surprisingly, there is not a huge difference between PS4 PRO and a GTX 1080 if you run the game at 30 fps. The highest resolution I can get it locked to 30 fps at ultra settings on my 1080 is 1728p and CB 1800p in mass effect on the pro using a mix of high and ultra setting look fairly similar in comparison (if we ignore the performance problems on the PRO ). It demonstrates how much power the PRO preserves by using checkerboarding and how unoptimized the game is on pc.

According to this source PS pro use a mix of high and ultra settings:

http://gamingbolt.com/mass-effect-a...tter-somehwere-between-high-and-ultra-setting

It's 1800 checkerboard. That's around 1200p. 1728p is SIGNIFICANTLY more pixels than 1200p.

A 1070 will be able to push higher pixel counts and higher framerates than the PS4 Pro easily. Stop spreading misinformation.

EDIT: I am mistaken, it's 1800p upscaled to 4K. I have a VERY hard time believing that PS4 Pro is performing better than a fucking GTX 1080.

EDIT2: Your source also states that it's not actually 1800p native, but slightly below that.

J_Viper

Anyone here with a 1070/6600k/16 RAM combo? What settings are you guys using at 1440p?

For me, the game auto selected to Ultra. During gameplay, it seemed to stay north of 60 FPS, but during cut-scenes, it would crash down to 30-40 FPS, which looks TERRIBLE on the G-Sync Monitor.

I assume there's probably a mixture if High and Ultra that would be optimal, but I'm new to PC, and I can't figure out what settings to mess with.

Then there's the game needing to restart when changing certain settings, which is a gigantic pain in the ass.

MaLDo

It's 1800 checkerboard. That's around 1200p. 1728p is SIGNIFICANTLY more pixels than 1200p.

A 1070 will be able to push higher pixel counts and higher framerates than the PS4 Pro easily. Stop spreading misinformation.

EDIT: I am mistaken, it's 1800p upscaled to 4K. I have a VERY hard time believing that PS4 Pro is performing better than a fucking GTX 1080.

EDIT2: Your source also states that it's not actually 1800p native, but slightly below that.

Is 1800cb (no 1800p native) and then regular scaling to 4K.
Page 101 here:
http://www.frostbite.com/2017/03/4k-checkerboard-in-battlefield-1-and-mass-effect-andromeda/
But uses lower lods, lower distance view, worse Ambient occlusion, worse dof (no bokeh), worse reflections, highly reduced tessellation... and framerate is not locked at 30, has lots of dips.

So no, is not the same.

Akronis

Is 1800cb (no 1800p native) and then regular scaling to 4K.
Page 101 here:
http://www.frostbite.com/2017/03/4k-checkerboard-in-battlefield-1-and-mass-effect-andromeda/
But uses lower lods, lower distance view, worse Ambient occlusion, worse dof (no bokeh), worse reflections, highly reduced tessellation... and framerate is not locked at 30, has lots of dips.

So no, is not the same.

Then I was right the first time. GTX 1080 can push this game way the fuck harder than the PS4 Pro.

So I had another day of fiddling, and interestingly enough, after my frame rates mysteriously dropped and started stuttering one day. I finally have managed to fix it.

I tried a couple things:

Matching my desktop resolution to the game. Previously my desktop on my 4k TV was on 4096x2160, I changed it to the game resolution of 2560x1440 before running the game.

Verified the integrity of the game cache, (Right click and hit repair on the game). It didn't appear as though it had any problems, but it did say it was "installing" at one point. But of course that could be Origin being jank.

Enabled AMD's FRTC to 30 fps. (However in game i still have V-sync on because unfortunately i'm limited to 30hz due to not having the proper set up on my rig)

Dropped mostly everything to high, but still kept Lighting, Texture Filtering, and Texture Quality on ultra. (There is no resolution scaling turned on, i'm in fullscreen and no triple buffering)

All that on top of defraggin the hard drive as well, I managed to get rid of the stutter. I'm not sure WHAT was the culprit, but i'll update in a bit, i'm very carefully ramping settings back up to ultra to see if anything triggers it again.

Thought it could prove useful for anyone else having this issue.

So I had another day of fiddling, and interestingly enough, after my frame rates mysteriously dropped and started stuttering one day. I finally have managed to fix it.

I tried a couple things:

Matching my desktop resolution to the game. Previously my desktop on my 4k TV was on 4096x2160, I changed it to the game resolution of 2560x1440 before running the game.

Verified the integrity of the game cache, (Right click and hit repair on the game). It didn't appear as though it had any problems, but it did say it was "installing" at one point. But of course that could be Origin being jank.

Enabled AMD's FRTC to 30 fps. (However in game i still have V-sync on because unfortunately i'm limited to 30hz due to not having the proper set up on my rig)

Dropped mostly everything to high, but still kept Lighting, Texture Filtering, and Texture Quality on ultra. (There is no resolution scaling turned on, i'm in fullscreen and no triple buffering)

All that on top of defraggin the hard drive as well, I managed to get rid of the stutter. I'm not sure WHAT was the culprit, but i'll update in a bit, i'm very carefully ramping settings back up to ultra to see if anything triggers it again.

Thought it could prove useful for anyone else having this issue.

Yeah, I started to get weird stutters the other day after it being a smooth 30FPS on PC. Someone suggested that it's because Origin and Andromeda are downloaded on two separate hard drives.

Taggen86

What V-sync options are you guys using to get locked frame rates? It is really difficult for me to get a locked 50 fps above 1500p using a mix of high and ultra settings. The best option for me so far is fast sync at 1600p, but that does not eliminate stuttering perfectly either. In many cases the frame drops appear even through nether my CPU or my GPU is at 100 percent.

GTX 1080, i6600k

Top Bottom