• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Def Media Lovefest: The war is over and we can all go home.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cold-Steel said:
I'm not pissing on HD-DVD owners, just having one format would be great for everyone.

Warner to Blu-ray FTW.
If it means a quicker end to this war, I'm all for it. Even if it means I'll never bother buying a 360 HD-DVD add-on since it's going to become obsolete.

Kolgar

shidoshi said:
Honestly, playing minigames and connecting to other users via my movie are completely unnecessary to me. I want the movie in HD, and that's all I care about.

That's fine, but perhaps the success of HDM hinges on more than just higher-resolution encodes.

HDM doesn't have a big convenience advantage over DVD like DVD had over VHS. And maybe it's about time we explored the possibilities beyond just buying a 2-hour film on a disc, watching it a few times, and putting it on the shelf to collect dust until the next time we rebuy the same movie again on a new format.

Perhaps today's technology offers a lot more to the modern movie fan than either of the new formats have yet shown. Perhaps there's something out there even you will like once you've seen it.

In any case, with standard DVD being "good enough" for most people, I think we need someone to goose HDM right now and help it take off, or perhaps it never will.

edit: Is it confirmed WB is holding a conference tomorrow? I swear I've checked several sites and haven't seen a word of it...

White Man

I have both players, but at this point, I want HD-DVD to "win" because I have HD-DVD working with my computer, thus I will eventually be able to make hi resolution screenshots for desktop wallpapers.

Raistlin

jjasper said:
If Warner were to go one way or another tomorrow here is what the side would gain as exclusive for this year:
The Aviator
Ocean's Gift set
Ocean's Thirteen
The Omega Man
Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets
Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire
Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix
Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban
Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone
Harry Potter Years 1-5: Limited Edition Gift set
Led Zeppelin: The Song Remains the Same
That’s Entertainment: The Complete Collection
Blade Runner (Complete Collector's Edition)
Blade Runner (Ultimate Collector's Edition)

If Warner is to go one side or the other ... I'm guessing they wouldn't pull a Paramount.

The above titles are likely 'done' on both formats. I'd expect them to get released regardless.

Well, we all know what happened with "Blades of Glory" so I wouldn't have high expectations.

I'd like to see this as a headline:

'Harry Potter' vanquishes HD-DVD or something along those lines.

jjasper

Kolgar said:
edit: Is it confirmed WB is holding a conference tomorrow? I swear I've checked several sites and haven't seen a word of it...

I have too I am pretty sure this is just a big joke (again)

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a lot of discussion once BR gets their act together and properly implements their version of HDi and online features. Everyone who I've shown the info widget, the PiP commentary/info sheet, and DLC for Transformers thinks it's extremely cool. And there's a whole separate disc for "special features", so all that stuff is in the movie disc.

Sure, it's not THE deciding factor in most people's choice of movies, but once its there, and you use it, it's very cool. And if BR can emulate that experience, I look forward to folks eating crow about how useless those things are and how they don't give a damn.

Personally, if I already own a movie, I'll probably balk at buying it again just for an HD encode, but if the movie packs in exclusive extras, and cool ones at that, then its even more motivation for folks to replace their dvd collection and it helps HD media overall once folks start to see the value beyond "it looks better".

But whatever, I fully expect the Blu Ray camp to poo poo cutting edge special features until they're exposed to it. Like I said, it won't change your life, but if you own the movie, it's a very cool addition that's useful for multiple viewings.

I was able to watch Transformers two nights in a row. Once with just the feature, once with the downloadable widget. And I'll watch it again to see the main HDi feature with commentary by Blu Ray Steven Speilberg. :lol

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Kolgar said:
The press have been invited to a special conference tomorrow.
That comes from a few press insiders at different forums.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
VanMardigan said:
I can pretty much guarantee that there will be a lot of discussion once BR gets their act together and properly implements their version of HDi and online features. Everyone who I've shown the info widget, the PiP commentary/info sheet, and DLC for Transformers thinks it's extremely cool. And there's a whole separate disc for "special features", so all that stuff is in the movie disc.

Sure, it's not THE deciding factor in most people's choice of movies, but once its there, and you use it, it's very cool. And if BR can emulate that experience, I look forward to folks eating crow about how useless those things are and how they don't give a damn.

Personally, if I already own a movie, I'll probably balk at buying it again just for an HD encode, but if the movie packs in exclusive extras, and cool ones at that, then its even more motivation for folks to replace their dvd collection and it helps HD media overall once folks start to see the value beyond "it looks better".

But whatever, I fully expect the Blu Ray camp to poo poo cutting edge special features until they're exposed to it. Like I said, it won't change your life, but if you own the movie, it's a very cool addition that's useful for multiple viewings.

I was able to watch Transformers two nights in a row. Once with just the feature, once with the downloadable widget. And I'll watch it again to see the main HDi feature with commentary by Blu Ray Steven Speilberg. :lol
I've used them (at least for Transformers), it's cool looking, yes. But not something I'll ever use onwards.
Commentary is all I need, and I've only used that on maybe 10% of all the DVDs I've ever owned.
Oh and deleted scenes. They should ALWAYS have that.

EDIT: I should add that Transformers was so boring, how did you watch it twice?!

dallow_bg said:

My cousin works for the company doing the set up and planning for this Blu-ray event (she's worked on most Hollywood movie premieres in the last year or so), I wonder if she knows anything...

Snah

Banned
Honestly, why else would Warner be holding a press event if it weren't something major?

There are two scenarios here:

1. Warner reaffirms their commitment to blu-ray and resigns their contract.

2. Warner goes Blu-Ray exclusive.

Scenario 2 is a lot more major, and more worthy for holding a press event over. Let's all hope that this is the case.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
distantmantra said:
My cousin works for the company doing the set up and planning for this Blu-ray event (she's worked on most Hollywood movie premieres in the last year or so), I wonder if she knows anything...
Ask her!

dallow_bg said:

I doubt she knows anything, but I could try calling her tonight.

Is this supposed announcement separate from the whole "Blu-ray Day" festivities in Southern California? She was doing the Blu-ray Day thing.

SUPREME1

Banned
from the article:

"which will be released early next year and boast picture-in-picture, audio mixing and other groundbreaking interactive features. "

..riiight..

Also, I'm not sure they can call M$ an 800lbs gorilla when they consist of Disney, Sony-MGM, Lionsgate, etc. They up the numbers advantage they have (studio-wise) all the time. 7 > 2 and all that.

Snah

Banned
VanMardigan said:
You missed a scenario......

Am I?

The HD-DVD exclusivity possibility is...well, not possible at all given the statements from Silverberg regarding their commitment to blu-ray. That's why it's not listed.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
jjasper said:
If they are having this conference at a Blu Ray event I doubt that scenario is very likely.

I'm under the impression that the conference is NOT at the event. I think you're mixing up the event with the conference, when they're not linked. Remember that the conference on the 31st (the day the BR contract expires) was rumored independent of the actual event going on right now.

Then again, what DO we know about the conference? :lol

The HD-DVD exclusivity possibility is...well, not possible at all given the statements from Silverberg regarding their commitment to blu-ray. That's why it's not listed.

Welcome to the HD media game, rookie. I hope you like your stay, but you'll have a much nicer stay if you quit taking folks at their word. We've learned not to do that here. In fact, be as skeptical as you are for 9-11, where you don't take anything at face value. :lol

Yeah, but given that the exec *did* know that they might change their stance *and* said they were committed to BluRay... it's hard to imagine this is an HD-DVD-olny deal.

I'm guessing they were waiting to see how Transformers fared (absolute numbers, not ratios, since anybody can see through that) to decide to go all-Blu.

That's my prediction. I'm not Nostradomas, though-- I'm statrting to doubt we'll see a $100 gap on player prices Black Friday!

Snah

Banned
VanMardigan said:
I'm under the impression that the conference is NOT at the event. I think you're mixing up the event with the conference, when they're not linked. Remember that the conference on the 31st (the day the BR contract expires) was rumored independent of the actual event going on right now.

Then again, what DO we know about the conference? :lol

Welcome to the HD media game, rookie. I hope you like your stay, but you'll have a much nicer stay if you quit taking folks at their word. We've learned not to do that here. In fact, be as skeptical as you are for 9-11, where you don't take anything at face value. :lol

The statement was made recently, as in yesterday I believe. If Silverberg had merely stated that 'we believe the best policy is to support both formats', or made other general vague restatements of their current policy, then sure - I wouldn't take it for face value.

However, the statement reaffirms commitment to one camp and then goes on to mention that they are re-evaluating their stance. I'm sorry, but that doesn't sound like an endorsement for HD-DVD at all.

Paramount didn't really say anything before their announcement, and certainly didn't come out and state that they are committed to Blu-Ray.

Wulfer

dallow_bg said:

I've already said this, did you think I was joking?

NekoFever

Am I the only one looking forward to the inevitable disappointment/elation when this conference, having been built up into something earth-shattering, turns out to be a load of nothing? I'm betting it's either something about Harry Potter or simply the announcement that they'll be renewing their BDA membership.

I mean it's all built around a Warner exec saying something positive about Blu-ray at a Blu-ray conference (shock!). Never mind that they only just agreed to have their biggest HD release bundled with every HD DVD player and have always evangelised a dual-format strategy as the only way to go.

mollipen

VanMardigan said:

See, I'm the exact opposite: I don't give a crap about special features, no matter how fancy, and no way would I re-buy a title just to get them. (Hell, as it is now, I never buy special edition DVDs unless they are a director's cut or otherwise longer version.)

Getting the movies I love in HD, however, is absolutely worth a re-purchase.

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
He was at a Blu Ray event, I'm not sure what he was supposed to say other than what he said. We've been over this scenario a bunch of times in this thread, and WB certainly has tons of close relationships with Toshiba as well. I think the more likely scenario is WB will remain committed to neutrality for now.

Though, if a bombshell IS dropped tomorrow, I doubt I'll get anything done at work. This thread will be a ton of fun, no matter which way they swing. We know they're evaluating offers on both sides, and we know both sides have deep pockets.

My prediction: Nothing happens, they stay neutral. Then, at CES, they make their move.

See, I'm the exact opposite: I don't give a crap about special features, no matter how fancy, and no way would I re-buy a title just to get them. (Hell, as it is now, I never buy special edition DVDs unless they are a director's cut or otherwise longer version.)

At this point, you DON"T HAVE A CHOICE!! Aside from faked PiP and special features in HD, Blu Ray doesn't really have anything to offer you beyond dvd. Let's talk when the kickass special features arrive on your format. Right now, you're just spouting hot air on something you don't have a choice on.

Costanza

Banned
If anyone's been holding out on Heroes season 1, all of the addon deals have pushed ebay prices down to around 30 bucks for a brand new set. I'm probably gonna buy one soon.

Wulfer

cea16_16.jpg

Hmm some studios are missing in that slide? Wait a minute that's all the HD DVD studios!

What if the Warner "pro Blu-Ray statement" was made to scare Toshiba into paying even more money for exclusivity?

Just food for thought... Anything could happen.

Wulfer

Correct me if I'm wrong was this consortium created just recently? See guys these are things that make it hard for me to think WB leaving HD DVD.

Raistlin

mrklaw said:
interesting. I wonder if most CE manufacturers will skip 1.1 and just go straight to 2.0? Only real differences appear to be more persistent storage and internet connectivity.

Adding ethernet is really cheap ... so I'm hoping the worst we see is 1.1 players that allow USB mass storage to be used for 2.0 funtcionality. Obviously this would be on entry-level players. Mid range and higher should be 2.0 out of the gate.

This event is sounding more and more like a major announcement. I doubt it is going to be WB just reiterating that they are going to remain neutral, and then talking about Harry Potter on both formats or something. That wouldn't really be news at all.

Something big is going down. It should make for an interesting day.

BTW, the press conference is NOT at the Blu-Ray event. They are completely seperate things.

Raistlin

VanMardigan said:
I don't think you understand what I'm saying. The catalog disparity between the two would be huge.

The problem with that however, is catalog titles do not tend to sell anywhere near as well as new titles.

This is true for DVD, and especially true for HD DVD. Many catalog titles are ones that people don't feel the need to upgade ... especially if they are not sepcial effects masterpieces.

Look at Universal's catalog releases. The majority haven't exactly been lighting up sales charts.

Also, as pointed out by sonycowboy - Sony + MGM actually has more catalog.

The BDA companies had a big box office year

And this is part of the reason BDA has had better sales IMO.

Wulfer

Well, the really funny thing is I've spent more time (on web that is) looking up HDM news then gaming news and that's a surprise change for me. :lol

Raistlin

Snah said:
Did this end comment get posted? Looks like, if anything, Warner is poised to reaffirm their ties to Blu-Ray and hopefully will decide to go Blu-Ray exclusive and put this 'war' to an end.

I believe it was posted ... but has been conveniently ignored by certain members here.

Raistlin

NekoFever said:
and have always evangelised a dual-format strategy as the only way to go.

I guess you somehow missed this?

"One thing that may be changing is our strategy," he said. "When both formats launched and hardware prices were high, we made a decision to support both formats and let the consumer decide."

NekoFever

So is Strangehold's Hard Boiled an actual Blu-ray movie (meaning it'll play in any BD player) or is it the movie in high def to be played on the PS3 that just happens to be on a Blu-ray disc by nature of being on PS3?

Kolgar

Sounds like I may need to spend tomorrow in a bomb shelter. One with a fast internet connection!

If Warner does go exclusive, I have almost no doubt it will be toward HD DVD.

There's been too much momentum on the red side lately. Paramount went over (citing lower production costs and a more stable install base built on standalone players), Wal-Mart's gotten big shipments of A2s (and been forced to hang on to them until this weekend), there's the <$200 players, and even rumors of a 360/HD DVD combo machine.

Then we have the expiration of Warner's contract with the BDA, and a surprise press conference with very interesting timing. We have Warner executives citing the importance of hardware sales and press releases stating they hope to one day be able to include all the interactive features in Blu-ray that they do for other high-def formats. Obviously, standalone player sales and interactivity are important to them.

Tomorrow could be a very important day.

To butcher a quote from The Matrix Reloaded: "All of our lives, we have fought this war. Tomorrow I believe we can end it. Tomorrow is not an accident. There are no accidents. We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. When I see inexpensive A2s at Wal-Mart, at Circuit City, at Costco. I do not see coincidence, I see providence. I see purpose. I believe it our fate to be here. It is our destiny. I believe tomorrow holds for each and every one of us, the very meaning of our lives."

MatrixReloaded-Morpheous_01.jpg

And another, because it's so fitting: "Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy. Kansas is going bye-bye!" :lol

maynerd

Banned
NekoFever said:
So is Strangehold's Hard Boiled an actual Blu-ray movie (meaning it'll play in any BD player) or is it the movie in high def to be played on the PS3 that just happens to be on a Blu-ray disc by nature of being on PS3?

PS3 ONLY

ChrisJames said:
What if the Warner "pro Blu-Ray statement" was made to scare Toshiba into paying even more money for exclusivity?

Just food for thought... Anything could happen.
what I was thinking as well.

and could you please keep just one window open for replies? i see a wall of humping storm trooper every time you come into this thread. :lol

Oni Jazar

VanMardigan said:
At this point, you DON"T HAVE A CHOICE!! Aside from faked PiP and special features in HD, Blu Ray doesn't really have anything to offer you beyond dvd. Let's talk when the kickass special features arrive on your format. Right now, you're just spouting hot air on something you don't have a choice on.

Hey now don't start BS. Lots of BD titles have advanced interactivity. Just yesterday I rented Fantastic 4: ROTSS and was playing a 2 player conquest game which was pretty neat as well as a trivia game. Hell the BD version of Dragons Lair had more features then the HD DVD version so don't talk about interactivity. :p

VanMardigan

has calmed down a bit.
Onix said:
Also, as pointed out by sonycowboy - Sony + MGM actually has more catalog.

And this is part of the reason BDA has had better sales IMO.

sonycowboy got real technical including oldies, but the majority of modern motion pictures would be on the HD DVD side if they had Warner/New Line, Paramount/Dreamworks, and Universal Studios.

As for the second part, it IS one the biggest factor to Blu Ray software sales, and why BR will dominate the rest of this year: bigger box office hits. But, as you know, that stuff is cyclical, and Paramount scored two huge hits (shrek and transformers) and it is possible that the next breakouts could come from an HD DVD exclusive studio. You never know. And those big releases are what cause the weekly jumps in the software ratios.

Toshiba realized this and they knew they had to secure some more studio support. Universal has some really amazing movies, but they've been lacking huge hits at the Box Office recently. Which is a shame, because Uni has some great titles and they've been pumping out a ton of awesome content for HD DVD fans, most of which has been ignored. :(

And Onix, for the love of this thread: PUT ALL YOUR REPLIES IN ONE INSTEAD OF POSTING LIKE 10 STRAIGHT TIMES!!

ust yesterday I rented Fantastic 4: ROTSS and was playing a 2 player conquest game which was pretty neat as well as a trivia game.

ppppppppppppffffffffffffffffffft, wtf is that crap??? A trivia game??? You don't know interactivity. :p

Come, take your vacation in the US Virgin Islands. I will show you interactivity. I pretty much have the best of the best on HD DVD in this regard:

-Matrix Trilogy
-Transformers
-Freedom Vol. 1
-Batman Begins

And a ton of U-control Universal movies. :D

ps. Bring your Ps3. It might cheer me up after my Ebay debacle.

MechDX

Kolgar said:
Sounds like I may need to spend tomorrow in a bomb shelter. One with a fast internet connection!

If Warner does go exclusive, I have almost no doubt it will be toward HD DVD.

There's been too much momentum on the red side lately. Paramount went over (citing lower production costs and a more stable install base built on standalone players), Wal-Mart's gotten big shipments of A2s (and been forced to hang on to them until this weekend), there's the <$200 players, and even rumors of a 360/HD DVD combo machine.

Then we have the expiration of Warner's contract with the BDA, and a surprise press conference with very interesting timing. We have Warner executives citing the importance of hardware sales and press releases stating they hope to one day be able to include all the interactive features in Blu-ray that they do for other high-def formats. Obviously, standalone player sales and interactivity are important to them.

Tomorrow could be a very important day.

To butcher a quote from The Matrix Reloaded: "All of our lives, we have fought this war. Tomorrow I believe we can end it. Tomorrow is not an accident. There are no accidents. We have not come here by chance. I do not believe in chance. When I see inexpensive A2s at Wal-Mart, at Circuit City, at Costco. I do not see coincidence, I see providence. I see purpose. I believe it our fate to be here. It is our destiny. I believe tomorrow holds for each and every one of us, the very meaning of our lives."

MatrixReloaded-Morpheous_01.jpg

And another, because it's so fitting: "Buckle your seatbelt, Dorothy. Kansas is going bye-bye!" :lol

All those Matrix referances and you forget "Take the red pill.":lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom