• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Nintendo Switch generated more positive E3 reactions than Xbox One X

Cerium

More detailed breakdowns of the data at link

The Electronic Entertainment Expo (E3) is always a battle for attention, and it looks like Nintendo won it, according to a couple of reports that analyzed social media during the biggest U.S. gaming show.

One of the biggest battles this year was between Microsoft's newest console, Xbox One X (debuting November 7 for $500), and the Nintendo Switch, which came out in March. And Nintendo came out on top, according to an analysis by social media data analytics firm Taykey. Facebook also released data today that was favorable to Nintendo.

Gamers were eager to hear which of their favorite games would be released on both consoles. Taykey dug into its data to determine which brands and announcements were best able to leverage E3.

The sheer amount of online conversation volume that Nintendo's press conference generated was 108 percent more than Xbox
. In fact, Sony's press conferences generated 12.5 percent more online conversations than Xbox's press conference.

Likewise, 51 percent of all online conversations surrounding Nintendo reflected positive feedback on the company, whereas only 38 percent of conversations surrounding Xbox were positive.

Sheroking

Every once in a blue moon, we hit that point in the cycle where people are tired of teraflops and technojargon and just want fun games.

It happened in 2006. It happened this week.

Theswweet

We're just about to hit the rush of summer Switch releases, and Nintendo absolutely knocked it out of the park during E3. Even if they can't keep up their hardware sales, I can only imagine that their software attach rate should look VERY nice by the end of the year.

Xbox One X isn't necessarily a new console generation or at least it wasn't treated as such.
Switch is the newest and it's the system's first e3 with a bunch of exclusives. Makes sense

Ehker

Good on the switch, but I have a hard time believing these types of studies collecting online conversations.

I think the price and lack of "must have" games effected it honestly.

Microsoft showed good games, but not a whole lot of " I need it now" type. I did enjoy their conference tho.

hatchx

Banned
We're just about to hit the rush of summer Switch releases, and Nintendo absolutely knocked it out of the park during E3. Even if they can't keep up their hardware sales, I can only imagine that their software attach rate should look VERY nice by the end of the year.

Arms, Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania, and Mario X Rabbids. It really turn out to be a pretty good summer lineup for the console.

Principate

Saint Titanfall
Every once in a blue moon, we hit that point in the cycle where people are tired of teraflops and technojargon and just want fun games.

It happened in 2006. It happened this week.

I'd argue that had more to do with the sheer popularity of the wii itself rather than any backlash to the greater importance giv en to technical aspects. E3 wise I'd say 2014 was that year (though it didn't help the wii u).

Theswweet

Arms, Splatoon 2, Sonic Mania, and Mario X Rabbids. It really turn out to be a pretty good summer lineup for the console.

Not to mention MHXX in Japan (rip localization), smaller titles like Cave Story+'s Switch release, and more. I'm very pleased with what's coming.

As I said in another thread, I feel like there was this huge swell of interest in Scorpio because Microsoft had spent a year hyping it and for fans it had become a kind of dream box.

But the Xbox One X had to become a reality eventually, and I'll be fascinated to see whether that tidal wave of Scorpio anticipation transitions into interest in the actual Xbox One X.

Not surprised Switch had a good show, the buzz for that can't be overlooked at this point.

Theswweet

That's overall mentions. This thread is about positive reactions.

More people talked about MS, but people who talked about Nintendo we're more impressed.

Actually, from what I understand this includes both volume and the spin of the mentions. I think what he linked is only talking about hype directly during the conferences, whereas this data accounts for what you could assume was extra chatter from Treehouse Live and other such announcements.

Majmun

Not really surprising

MS showed off a $499 machine without mentioning Halo or Gears of War

Nintendo showed new Mario games and mentioned Pokemon and Metroid for Switch.

Sheroking

I'd argue that had more to do with the sheer popularity of the wii itself rather than any backlash to the greater importance giv en to technical aspects. E3 wise I'd say 2014 was that year (though it didn't help the wii u).

I'm not sure the Wii was on solid ground until that conference aired and everyone got their hands on Wii Sports.

At the same conference, everyone was past done with all the power wars and dick measuring going on with Sony in particular. I think we can agree XBX isn't as big of a disaster as PS5, but this whole E3 reminds me of 2006 more than other E3.

Poyunch

That's how Nintendo does it. Stay consistent like MS and it's by the numbers. Never give fans what they want for years and then when everyone's given up hope you show a jpeg of the number 4.

Can't wait for
Mother
3 in 20 years.

Neff

Xbox One X isn't necessarily a new console generation or at least it wasn't treated as such.
Switch is the newest and it's the system's first e3 with a bunch of exclusives. Makes sense

All of this is true but I was expecting MS to make a bigger splash than they did and I think others were too.

The hardware sounds fantastic but that's all it is. I wanted their software to blow me away and it didn't.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member

Both. One covered the 10th to the 13th, the other covered the 9th to the 15th. If you look at their data sets, they show the same picture for when they cover the same time period. Almost all conversation about Microsoft was focused on a single day in the data - the 12th - and 'peak discussion' was higher for Microsoft than Nintendo. However, Nintendo had a sustained level of discussion throughout the period that was higher than that of Microsoft, and in sum, Nintendo had more discussion overall throughout the first week.

Another way of putting this might be that Nintendo ran the race the fastest, but Microsoft recorded the highest individual split for a single lap.

Both. One covered the 10th to the 13th, the other covered the 9th to the 15th. If you look at their data sets, they show the same picture for when they cover the same time period. Almost all conversation about Microsoft was focused on a single day in the data - the 12th - and 'peak discussion' was higher for Microsoft than Nintendo. However, Nintendo had a sustained level of discussion throughout the period that was higher than that of Microsoft, and in sum, Nintendo had more discussion overall throughout the first week.

Another way of putting this might be that Nintendo ran the race the fastest, but Microsoft recorded the highest individual split for a single lap.

Just want to highlight a great analogy.

Principate

Saint Titanfall

TBF that's litterally how Nintendo's E3 operates they have more "bigger" events throught the week that sustains conversation (in this case 3 tournaments with usual treehouse stuff) rather than a large blowout conference.

phanphare

Banned
TBF that's litterally how Nintendo's E3 operates they have more "bigger" events throught the week that sustains conversation (in this case 3 tournaments with usual treehouse stuff) rather than a large blowout conference.

yeah Nintendo has really mastered how to leverage social media buzz throughout E3 since like 2013/2014

BigEmil

Xbox and Nintendo pretty much was all the talk of E3. Not surprising.
Eh no just more like Nintendo and the games. I hardly seen anyone talk about the Xbox/PC games there was nothing noteworthy except a souped up Xbox One console which still has 30fps games

Well obviously. I mean, with all due respect to Microsoft's efforts to win people over, the Xbox One X just doesn't have any MUST HAVE game yet.

ethomaz

Banned
There is nothing wrong about that... Switch is a nice product.

That doesn't mean Xbox One X is bad... the opposite it is a good premium product.

The Giant

Banned
Well, NIntendo did have more exciting games announced/shown compared to microsoft which had nothing interesting that would make mainstreaming audience excited for.

Top Bottom