• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Nintendo Switch generated more positive E3 reactions than Xbox One X

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
Every once in a blue moon, we hit that point in the cycle where people are tired of teraflops and technojargon and just want fun games.

It happened in 2006. It happened this week.

As far as E3, it happened a few years ago with the Sony part of the conference. Reading thru the thread now, seems that legendary E3 from Sony a few years back didnt happen, lol. It also happened this E3:

The sheer amount of online conversation volume that Nintendo's press conference generated was 108 percent more than Xbox. In fact, Sony's press conferences generated 12.5 percent more online conversations than Xbox's press conference.

But yea, many ppl said the One X hardware is nice but it needed games to show it off.

MS needs to have the games to back up the power.

oti

Banned
Yes it is and its allot more interesting that the WiiU thats for sure, although it would need more Western support for my tastes,

Dont be so sure, remember GTA sold 85 million, many players just play 3rd party AAA like FIFA / GTA and COD and never come to places like GAF to vote on who won E3 and make a list.

Scorpio being a strong console could resonate in USA in particular more than we may give credit for. Also a reason Ps4 has done so well is that it was the best console to play such AAA third games in 2013, Sony and MS know this and Sony pinched allot of 360 players in 2013...and MS wants them back.

It's not 2013 anymore. Consoles have hit the mass market price of 200. That's it. Xbox X is a niche product for a niche audience MS wants to monetize.
Xbox X will change nothing regarding the console race.

geordiemp

It's not 2013 anymore. Consoles have hit the mass market price of 200. That's it. Xbox X is a niche product for a niche audience MS wants to monetize.

Probably not in console war numbers, but those consumers who had a ps4 and upgraded to Pro to go with their PSVR (maybe a million) are also most likely the demographic that spends the most on day 1 games and digital.

High spending consumers will be chased by MS and Sony. The consumer that spends $ 200 ona console and buys a few older games from gamestop trade in makes up the numbers but not the balance sheet.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Well, there are two ways of looking at this. One has the E3 crowd in mind and the other has the average consumer. For example Minecraft doesn't generate much fanfare from the E3 crowd but pleases the average consumer

Nintendo just launched a new console that they want to appeal to a big a crowd as possible showing off new games and promises of things to come. Microsoft just showed a pumped up version of a current console with no exclusive games and no promises of future ventures.

What did Microsoft do exactly that would have generated more buzz with either crowd? It's a console for the enthusiast tech crowd. That's a pretty small but vocal minority in gaming as a whole.

jroc74

lol

It's so weird to me that some people actually believe this nonsense when even Spencer himself said MS expects the Xbox S to sell better than the Xbox X. You know, actually realistic expectations.

But hey, many people here believed MS would announce a bunch of new exclusive games even though they don't have studios to develop them and that Xbox X would be 399.

#letthemdream I guess

I hope that was a joke post you responded to. If not, lol. Maybe that upside down smiley was the /s

oti

Banned
Probably not in console war numbers, but those consumers who had a ps4 and upgraded to Pro to go with their PSVR (maybe a million) are also most likely the demographic that spends the most on day 1 games and digital.

High spending consumers will be chased by MS and Sony.

I think what MS is doing is smart. On the short-term they monetize their fan base (the same people who bought a weaker machine for more money at launch), mid-term they encourage consumers to spend more money on digital goods and service and hence increase digital revenue and long-term they position themselves as the "power brand" again that offers the best hardware.

However, some people vastly overestimate what this machine can do numbers wise and it's becoming quite hilarious. Same thing with exclusive games. People who expected tons of new exclusives don't understand the first thing about how MS is structured and what their goals are.

pagrab

I think that Xbox One X is a product for a very specific userbase: people who played all multiplatform games on Xbox One and will be happy to get upgraded from the least powerful system to the most powerful system. And this is fine. More power to them (literally).

But for everyone else - meh... I have Xbox One because I wanted to play exclusives on it (back then it had them). I had my money worth and I think it is a fine console, but I am not going to upgrade, because I also have a PS4 Pro and PC.

Meanwhile, your average Joe deciding on which new console to buy won't see the difference in graphics between One X and the Pro (they will probably be very hard to spot for an untrained eye) but will clearly see the 100$ difference and the difference in the number of exclusives.

Celine

I think that Xbox One X is a product for a very specific userbase: people who played all multiplatform games on Xbox One and will be happy to get upgraded from the least powerful system to the most powerful system. And this is fine. More power to them (literally).

But for everyone else - meh... I have Xbox One because I wanted to play exclusives on it (back then it had them). I had my money worth and I think it is a fine console, but I am not going to upgrade, because I also have a PS4 Pro and PC.

Meanwhile, your average Joe deciding on which new console to buy won't see the difference in graphics between One X and the Pro (they will probably be very hard to spot for an untrained eye) but will clearly see the 100$ difference and the difference in the number of exclusives.
Agreed, Xbox X target a niche Xbox core fanbase.

Probably unsuprising as Nintendo showed more interesting exclusive games for their system, and MS showed very few. Coupled with that, the Switch is still a new platform. The XboneX, is a souped up platform, not a new generation.

jroc74

Probably unsuprising as Nintendo showed more interesting exclusive games for their system, and MS showed very few. Coupled with that, the Switch is still a new platform. The XboneX, is a souped up platform, not a new generation.

IMO a new proper Metroid was enough for them to win E3.

That and more Mario Odyssey? No brainer really. Not shocking its Nintendo, Sony and then MS for this E3. Its about the games. And if you have new hardware, you better show off why we should want one. Games, features, something.

You might need to do a side by side comparison of 1080p vs 4K. That might help explain it better for those that wanna see the difference.

The PS360 vs PS4/XBO comparisons the start of this gen helped alot.

lol

It's so weird to me that some people actually believe this nonsense when even Spencer himself said MS expects the Xbox S to sell better than the Xbox X. You know, actually realistic expectations.

But hey, many people here believed MS would announce a bunch of new exclusive games even though they don't have studios to develop them and that Xbox X would be 399.

#letthemdream I guess

I don't think he is talking about units, just revenue generated. I have no doubt launch numbers will be the highest then, and the cost will make for some interesting talking points. But unit wise, I honestly believe the base version of each console will remain higher than the refreshes.

Top Bottom