• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Nintendo Switch generated more positive E3 reactions than Xbox One X

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I dunno if you can call 2 and a half million people at its peak and 1 and a half million people on average "huge". The Prime fanbase, at best, is double the traditional Metroid fanbase, but doubling a small number =/= "huge", either.

They are, however, an intensely (and depending who you ask, grating) vocal fanbase.

i suppose so

Meffer

I don't see any reason most people will want the XbonX. Too expensive for what you get out of it, which is 4K as MS keeps toting.

Of course it did. I'm not even that high on the Switch lineup but Xbox One X has almost nothing going for it. Too pricey, too few exclusives, and missing tons of Japanese games that Sony consoles get.

Champion

They had the best E3 out of the Big 3, but that isn't really saying much. Sony shit the bed and MS once again showed they're going to just lean on 3rd party support.

Every once in a blue moon, we hit that point in the cycle where people are tired of teraflops and technojargon and just want fun games.

It happened in 2006. It happened this week.

Silly assertion. Everyone wants fun games. Almost Everyone enjoys pretty graphics. They are not mutually exclusive. The switch does have pleasing graphics thanks to its power. Most people have a lower limit on graphics and functionality. If the switch wasn't portable, I wouldn't have purchased one and I know many other who would not have been interested.

I mean...whats there to talk about xb1 e3 besides phil's interviews?
their exclusives showings were old and unimpressive, had too much most powerful evah talk that doesnt leave much to be discussed and most of talk around the price was before conference thanks to keighly
Nintendo announced 2 MAJOR games , which honestly seemed more reactionary than anything but it got people talking. It also helped odyssey had the best showing at e3 , great trailer and tons of gameplay.

Literally 2006 all over again. The parallels are fucking insane.

Wait what? In what reality are these comparable. MS launched with a one year headstart for that gen, the Wii and PS3 came out in 2006. These were all base models and the only point of entry. This year, the switch is the earliest of the 9th gen but not only competing with refresh of the competitors but also dealing with lower priced base version of these consoles. One of the competition is already sitting at 60 million units while the other is sitting at 30 million. The playing field is totally different.

Hero

Wait what? In what reality are these comparable. MS launched with a one year headstart for that gen, the Wii and PS3 came out in 2006. These were all base models and the only point of entry. This year, the switch is the earliest of the 9th gen but not only competing with refresh of the competitors but also dealing with lower priced base version of these consoles. One of the competition is already sitting at 60 million units while the other is sitting at 30 million. The playing field is totally different.

Wii was coming off a very unpopular system compared to its predecessors (GCN <-> Wii U), launching with a Zelda game on both platforms (Wii <-> Switch), "enthusiast gamers" thinking the system would flop, there are definite parallels.

Every once in a blue moon, we hit that point in the cycle where people are tired of teraflops and technojargon and just want fun games.

It happened in 2006. It happened this week.

lol no. People care now more than ever before Microsoft just failed to show that graphical difference.

Spman2099

Yeah...? And...?

I would have been surprised otherwise.

lol no. People care now more than ever before Microsoft just failed to show that graphical difference.

A mid generation upgrade is always going to be tethered to its inferior siblings... its potential was limited.

seady

I think most people will have difficulty naming three big exclusive games that represent the Xbox One X out of this E3.

The Switch however has many games that you can associated with.

Wii was coming off a very unpopular system compared to its predecessors (GCN <-> Wii U), launching with a Zelda game on both platforms (Wii <-> Switch), "enthusiast gamers" thinking the system would flop, there are definite parallels.

Well the GC certainly didn't sell as much as N64, but that could just be viewed as the PS2 taking an abnormally large piece of the pie. Less to do with nintendo. And I don't agree with enthusiast thinking the switch will flop. I saw nothing but excitement about the switch from all corners and only debates about the semantics of home console versus portable console. I think drawing parallels to the Wii is a huge stretch.

Quasar

Well the GC certainly didn't sell as much as N64, but that could just be viewed as the PS2 taking an abnormally large piece of the pie. Less to do with nintendo. And I don't agree with enthusiast thinking the switch will flop. I saw nothing but excitement about the switch from all corners and only debates about the semantics of home console versus portable console. I think drawing parallels to the Wii is a huge stretch.

Just the performance segment I think. And I'm not sure it was hatred or hoping for a flop, just that their hopes that it was X2 based to allow for better performance were dashed. And there isn't alot of complaints about game performance so far, at least not for first party.

Tahnit

Banned
When the one x destroys pro and switch in sales this holiday we will see. &#128579;

not gonna happen. The xbox is 500 dollars. Also if you have a gaming PC there is literally no reason to get an x. The switch on the other hand is a completely new kind of console that is really selling well and has great games coming to it that are not coming to any other platform. The xbox x isnt gonna sell well mark my word.

Styles

Not surprising. Didn't Nintendo win e3 with one game last year? They just need to show either a Mario or Zelda game to guarantee a victory at e3. It's an unspoken rule.

NeonBlack

XOX definitely has Japan in the bag.

whats-an-xbox.gif

Are you insider or fortune teller?

Premium consoles will get premium unit sales (read lower than cheaper models). I could see the X1 maybe selling more in the premium market than the pro since as a premium product it's much better value. However, it's not outselling Switch unless Nintendo really drops the ball in holiday stock.

bombshell

But you are cherry picking the article. It's clearly a positive article for Nintendo and Xbox.

Are you pretending to not be cherry picking the article yourself?

Xbox and Nintendo pretty much was all the talk of E3. Not surprising.

"In fact, Sony’s press conferences generated 12.5 percent more online conversations than Xbox’s press conference."

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
Lol the Xbox one x won't beat either the pro or switch in sales, they are asking way to much with nothing special. They dropped the ball at that price.

If they had an amazing game to launch with, something totally mindblowing, then maybe they could swing it at $500. I swear, it's like they completely forgot that they needed the original Halo to sell the first iteration of the X-box.

wachie

If they had an amazing game to launch with, something totally mindblowing, then maybe they could swing it at $500. I swear, it's like they completely forgot that they needed the original Halo to sell the first iteration of the X-box.
That is because Microsoft is just being reactionary to what are the current successes of the industry. PS4 a success? PS4 Pro Imminent? Let's react. Game development in most cases will take longer and most likely Halo isn't close to a state that it can be shown, let alone be released.

Shiggy

Clickbait title

Although Nintendo generated more conversation volume than Xbox, when it came to conversations surrounding the Xbox One X versus Nintendo Switch, Xbox One X was received more positively than the Nintendo Switch by the E3 audience. Interestingly, the Xbox One X was mentioned only 1 percent more than the Nintendo Switch during E3, which means this audience was equally discussing and perhaps comparing the consoles. However, 57 percent of the conversations about Xbox One X were positive while only 45 percent of all Nintendo Switch conversations were positive.

This means that the E3 audience was 24 percent more excited about the newest Xbox, which bodes well for the game console brand despite Microsoft’s brand failing to capture audience attention and conversations.

https://venturebeat.com/2017/06/15/...itive-e3-reactions-than-microsoft-xbox-one-x/

Makes me wonder how Microsoft's software lineup was received more positively though.

People really expect a niche $500 machine with no exclusives to beat its $400 (soon to be $349, potentially even $300 depending on what crazy ass Black Friday deals we get) competitor?

...Really?

geordiemp

Nintendo fans are the most dedicated, vocal and loyal thats for sure. Does not mean they won anything like they claim every year as nobody wins E3, fanbases and their likes are totally subjective, and those that claim otherwise are just sad fanboys.

This article just fuelling imaginary console warz for clicks and is silly.

People who prefer shooters wont even know what a Switch is, and people who like platformers and Nintendo type games probably dont care for shooters in 4K.

big_z

If Microsoft would have come in at $399 they would have taken the positive reaction lead. The price really took some of the wind out of their sail and you could tell phil thinks its too high when he announced it.

Matt

If Microsoft would have come in at $399 they would have taken the positive reaction lead. The price really took some of the wind out of their sail and you could tell phil thinks its too high when he announced it.
If that were true, he wouldn't have built a machine that costs $499.

geordiemp

I thought it was too high price for its performance bracket at this time, most games running at the same stable 30 FPS as Ps4 pro but closer to 4K but all so high resolution it really is diminishing returns above 1440p IMO.

I believe a Ryzen console offering 60 FPS (devs would find it hard not to go at 60 running 3 x quicker) could of easily commanded 500 and above and would of turned more heads, MS should of waited 6 months or so.

You should release cutting edge tech when it is optimum to do so and is ready, Scorpio announce then Ryzen and Vega just after was not smart.

Either Scorpio should have released with Pro last year or they should of waited for Ryzen.

Literally who actively uses Facebook nowadays lol

Its the biggest social media network lo

Lol

Lol

Okay?

Nintendo fans are the most dedicated, vocal and loyal thats for sure. Does not mean they won anything like they claim every year as nobody wins E3, fanbases and their likes are totally subjective, and those that claim otherwise are just sad fanboys.

This article just fuelling imaginary console warz for clicks and is silly.

People who prefer shooters wont even know what a Switch is, and people who like platformers and Nintendo type games probably dont care for shooters in 4K.

True. That said, Nintendo is on an upswing with the switch so...

oti

Banned
When the one x destroys pro and switch in sales this holiday we will see. &#128579;
lol

It's so weird to me that some people actually believe this nonsense when even Spencer himself said MS expects the Xbox S to sell better than the Xbox X. You know, actually realistic expectations.

But hey, many people here believed MS would announce a bunch of new exclusive games even though they don't have studios to develop them and that Xbox X would be 399.

#letthemdream I guess

geordiemp

True. That said, Nintendo is on an upswing with the switch so...

Yes it is and its allot more interesting that the WiiU thats for sure, although it would need more Western support for my tastes,

lol

It's so weird to me that some people actually believe this nonsense when even Spencer himself said MS expects the Xbox S to sell better than the Xbox X. You know, actually realistic expectations.

Dont be so sure, remember GTA sold 85 million, many players just play 3rd party AAA like FIFA / GTA and COD and never come to places like GAF to vote on who won E3 and make a list.

Scorpio being a strong console could resonate in USA in particular more than we may give credit for. Also a reason Ps4 has done so well is that it was the best console to play such AAA third games in 2013, Sony and MS know this and Sony pinched allot of 360 players in 2013...and MS wants them back.

Top Bottom