• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VentureBeat: Nintendo Switch generated more positive E3 reactions than Xbox One X

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
$499 is a non-starter, with the general public, so this should surprise no one.

51% of the Switch discussion being positive, is kind of a negative, in my eyes.

gamz

But the article says:

"Although Nintendo generated more conversation volume than Xbox, when it came to conversations surrounding the Xbox One X versus Nintendo Switch, Xbox One X was received more positively than the Nintendo Switch by the E3 audience. Interestingly, the Xbox One X was mentioned only 1 percent more than the Nintendo Switch during E3, which means this audience was equally discussing and perhaps comparing the consoles. However, 57 percent of the conversations about Xbox One X were positive while only 45 percent of all Nintendo Switch conversations were positive."

So for console talk X received more positive talk. Or am I reading this wrong?

Nanashrew

Banned
TBF that's litterally how Nintendo's E3 operates they have more "bigger" events throught the week that sustains conversation (in this case 3 tournaments with usual treehouse stuff) rather than a large blowout conference.

Yep. And while other stage shows were trying to imitate esports, Nintendo actually had it. The commentary was on point throughout, and the high level play was intense. I also saw some people say they were finally sold on ARMS thanks to the tournament.

moeman

Oh okay. Thanks.

From what I've seen overall impressions have been very positive. Game runs at 60fps docked and portable. Everything aside from Journey is included and there's some good gameplay videos on YouTube. It sounds silly but FIFA 18 is one of my most anticipated titles on switch.

black070

facebook-e3.jpg

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But the article says:

"Although Nintendo generated more conversation volume than Xbox, when it came to conversations surrounding the Xbox One X versus Nintendo Switch, Xbox One X was received more positively than the Nintendo Switch by the E3 audience. Interestingly, the Xbox One X was mentioned only 1 percent more than the Nintendo Switch during E3, which means this audience was equally discussing and perhaps comparing the consoles. However, 57 percent of the conversations about Xbox One X were positive while only 45 percent of all Nintendo Switch conversations were positive."

So for console talk X received more positive talk. Or am I reading this wrong?

No, you seem to be reading it correctly. The implication would be that people were discussing Nintendo's software in significantly more positive terms than that available for the Xbox in order to make the numbers work. That's perhaps unsurprising - Nintendo really catered to the crowd with Odyssey and Prime 4.

Cottiny

Banned
The problem with Xbox is that they don't have any must-have exclusive titles. The direction which they are heading leads to, the people they are trying to appeal to, say "Why should I buy an Xbox if a PC does the same and I can do much more things on a PC?".

The Switch lineup for this year is just nuts. The problem is that there won't be enough Switches for everyone.

sphinx

the piano man
it's been mentioned plenty of times but softwarewise, 2017 is proving to be a terrible year for MS

they are being squashed by Nintendo and Sony, it started with Zelda and Horizon and it's going to get worse as the year goes by

a powerful console with no (or too few) major exclusives serves no purpose.

I mean...X box X is a powerful console but as someone who's been gaming for 40 years there's always something more powerful around the corner.

gamz

No, you seem to be reading it correctly. The implication would be that people were discussing Nintendo's software in significantly more positive terms than that available for the Xbox in order to make the numbers work. That's perhaps unsurprising - Nintendo really catered to the crowd with Odyssey and Prime 4.

Gotcha. I keep seeing people saying 499 and such, but that doesn't look all that negative since it was pretty positively received.

SO basically

Hardware wise Xbox X got more positive reaction than Switch

Software wise, Switch got more positive reaction than Xbox X

Gotcha. I keep seeing people saying 499 and such, but that doesn't look all that negative since it was pretty positively received.

You're just witnessing usual gaf hyperbole

Aroll

I'm confused. From that same article:

Although Nintendo generated more conversation volume than Xbox, when it came to conversations surrounding the Xbox One X versus Nintendo Switch, Xbox One X was received more positively than the Nintendo Switch by the E3 audience. Interestingly, the Xbox One X was mentioned only 1 percent more than the Nintendo Switch during E3, which means this audience was equally discussing and perhaps comparing the consoles. However, 57 percent of the conversations about Xbox One X were positive while only 45 percent of all Nintendo Switch conversations were positive.

This means that the E3 audience was 24 percent more excited about the newest Xbox, which bodes well for the game console brand despite Microsoft’s brand failing to capture audience attention and conversations.

So which is it - Nintendo generated more conversations but lesss positive reactions, or Xbox generated more conversations but less positive reactions. In the same article, they literally contradict themselves. The first half says Nintendo had more positive reactions and less conversation than Xbox, the second half says the complete opposite.

I don't get it.

Gurish

All of this is true but I was expecting MS to make a bigger splash than they did and I think others were too.

The hardware sounds fantastic but that's all it is. I wanted their software to blow me away and it didn't.

Exactly, let's face it, people were expecting an amazing AAA showcase of new IPs and exclusives running on Scorpio and using its power to melt our faces.

They didn't, the most powerful console in the world doesn't amount to much without a killer line up to demonstrate it, PS4 games, on OG and Pro, had a much bigger splash visually than the X overall, MS has failed to deliver this E3.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
I'm confused. From that same article:

So which is it - Nintendo generated more conversations but lesss positive reactions, or Xbox generated more conversations but less positive reactions. In the same article, they literally contradict themselves. The first half says Nintendo had more positive reactions and less conversation than Xbox, the second half says the complete opposite.

I don't get it.

That paragraph refers to discussion of the consoles only, and so excludes discussion of the software. As discussed above, the Xbox as a piece of hardware seems to have been moderately better received than the Switch, but the Switch's software absolutely blew everything else out of the water to make up the lost ground.

Every once in a blue moon, we hit that point in the cycle where people are tired of teraflops and technojargon and just want fun games.

It happened in 2006. It happened this week.

2006 e3 was maigcal everyone wanted to see how the wii was gonna turn out plus nintendo had a solid lineup for people to demo , Twilight princess, metroid prime 3, super mario galaxy all were playable.

gamz

That paragraph refers to discussion of the consoles only, and so excludes discussion of the software. As discussed above, the Xbox as a piece of hardware seems to have been moderately better received than the Switch, but the Switch's software absolutely blew everything else out of the water to make up the lost ground.

But you are cherry picking the article. It's clearly a positive article for Nintendo and Xbox.

Dierce

What some people probably got from the Xbox presentation is here is a $500 extremely powerful console and here are a bunch of indie games that can run on it.

They really needed to showcase the graphics and the enhancements.

D

Deleted member 231381

Unconfirmed Member
But you are cherry picking the article. It's clearly a positive article for Nintendo and Xbox.

I didn't say it wasn't? I'm not sure what I'm cherry-picking?

theWB27

]Exactly, let's face it, people were expecting an amazing AAA showcase of new IPs and exclusives running on Scorpio and using its power to melt our faces.[/B]

They didn't, the most powerful console in the world doesn't amount to much without a killer line up to demonstrate it, PS4 games, on OG and Pro, had a much bigger splash visually than the X overall, MS has failed to deliver this E3.

Sounds like they were expecting a new generation to launch. Which doesn't make sense.

Did Sony reveal the Pro with a bunch of games we'd never seen before? New IPs and such?

Because a console with no important exclusives is easily repaceable.

So is a console who's exclusives don't appeal to you.

phanphare

Banned

not necessarily, as shown in the article. you're cherry picking just the hardware side where in a vacuum what MS showed was pretty solid. it's a nice little box for the price. however when you consider the software side of it it's pretty bleak for MS whereas Nintendo is killing it with Switch software. add all that up and you have this thread.

bigjig

It's almost as if a good lineup of video games is more important than relishing in uncompromised pixel clarity

Cottiny

Banned
Sounds like they were expecting a new generation to launch. Which doesn't make sense.

Did Sony reveal the Pro with a bunch of games we'd never seen before? New IPs and such?

So is a console who's exclusives don't appeal to you.

I can't think about an AAA exclusive apart from Forza that they showed. And today cars simulator are not that popular. An Xbox E3 with no Halo, Gears of War or big new IP is just shitty.

Microsoft's first party situation is catastrophic
They did so good during 360

The problem is they are still making games for the franchises they created during the 360s golden age.

Franchise fatigue has set in and MS is unable/unwilling to take any risks with a new franchise.

Crayon

I'm not so sure about these social medial studies. Maybe they're fine idk. But the nintendo conference was pretty good. Mario looked great. The logo for mp4 was great lol. The ms conference was kind of surreal. It was good if you wanted to see some new games in general. But it was hairy if you were looking for clues as to where xbox is at. And of course there a sizable contingent who would love a given conference no matter what.

So I can see the xbox show having major mixed reaction.

Social media mentions don't necessarily have to be positive

BrandWatch: Microsoft captured 44% of mentions overall. Nintendo captured 15% of mentions

VentureBeat: 38% positive for Microsoft, 51% positive for Nintendo

38% positive of 44% of all mentions is still a much larger number than 51% positive of 15%.

But likewise the negative will be proportionally larger for Xbox, as with the neutral.

The sheer amount of online conversation volume that Nintendo’s press conference generated was 108 percent more than Xbox

can some one explain to me where this data is coming from and where it's shown?

The headline referring to consoles is strange when there are these findings/paragraphs:

"Although Nintendo generated more conversation volume than Xbox, when it came to conversations surrounding the Xbox One X versus Nintendo Switch, Xbox One X was received more positively than the Nintendo Switch by the E3 audience."

"However, 57 percent of the conversations about Xbox One X were positive while only 45 percent of all Nintendo Switch conversations were positive."

It seems that Nintendo overall received more positive comments than MS, but the Xbox One X had more positive comments than the Switch overall. So I'm not sure why the headline isn't focusing on the platform holders instead of the consoles themselves.

theWB27

I can't think about an AAA exclusive apart from Forza that they showed. And today cars simulator are not that popular. An Xbox E3 with no Halo, Gears of War or big new IP is just shitty.

Sea of Thieves isn't AAA? Forza is a flagship title for them...so showing it is a big deal. What's your metric for popular? Cause I think you're mistaken on that. They're popular enough that the generation started on Sony and Microsoft touting Driveclub and Forza. Now it's Forza and GT. Does the trailer for Crackdown not count as AAA?

At a $500 price tag, the amount of people who fill that description is pretty slim.

That's not lost on Microsoft.

Top Bottom