• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 2 first week japanese sales prediction thread.

sphinx

the piano man
At first I thought mods may not like a thread like this but think about it: Monster hunter portable is the ONE and ONLY game getting near the one million units sold to consumers. PSP is HANGING ON thanks to this franchise, solely.

For achieveing something that games like loco roco and ultimate ghouls and ghosts only dreamed of, I propose to dedicate this thread to predict the japanese sales escenario of the game and the handheld itself and devote some of our forum time to try to guess its performance.

My guess

MHP 2: 287k

PSP: 56k

EDIT: someone correct me if I am wrong but I think 500k was the initial shipment, so it can´t be higher than that.

jj984jj

He's a pretty swell guy in my books anyway.
1 BILLION DOLLARS :)\

Oh wait wrong board. I think it'll sell close to 500K if they ship that much, maybe 486K or something.

enishi

From recent hype of the title, I think it can do very well and being front-loaded.

MHP2 ~370k
PSP ~70k (including MHP2 bundles)

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Let`s see, it`s MH, on PSP. It`s a shoe in with tons of high school kids here. I predict a cool 500k, at least, in the first week. If you saw the MH2PSP line at TGS, you`d probably predict near the same.

klee123

TheTrin said:
Let`s see, it`s MH, on PSP. It`s a shoe in with tons of high school kids here. I predict a cool 500k, at least, in the first week. If you saw the MH2PSP line at TGS, you`d probably predict near the same.

Not trying to say anything, but wasn't the Blue Dragon line like one of the longest at TGS?

toypop

http://www.famitsu.com/game/news/2007/02/22/103,1172114586,67506,0,0.html

Famitsu reports MHP2 launch day at Shinjuku Area.
I say wow.

h-103_67506_top.jpg.jpg

arcader

Banned
bleh - I dont like Monster hunter on PSP with adhoc only....

I did however REALLY want Monster Hunter 2 for PS2......

Monster Hunter is my only PSP game im considering trading as it is almost unplayable and rather not nearly as fun as the game on PS2 with 4 players online...

jj984jj

klee123 said:
You know, that's really pushing it. Software wise, that's like DS levels. Not even MGS PO did that well man.
The first game is near 900K.

jj984jj

klee123 said:
yeah, but it took a while to reach that number.
Yeah, Capcom underestimated demand, but if they ship enough it's certainly possible to start off strong.

cvxfreak

klee123 said:
You know, that's really pushing it. Software wise, that's like DS levels. Not even MGS PO did that well man.

Too bad MGSPO isn't even doing as well as the first MHP. :p

I predict:

400K / 80K for game and hardware

DCharlie

And even i am moderately surprised

JR mentioned the queues/mayhem - then went to Shibuya today at lunch time- and there was (at least) DS levels of ZOMG!MONSTUREHUNTA MUSTBYE!

arcader said:
bleh - I dont like Monster hunter on PSP with adhoc only....

Monster Hunter is my only PSP game im considering trading as it is almost unplayable and rather not nearly as fun as the game on PS2 with 4 players online...
X-link mother****er.
God I can't wait for this to come in the mail.

Mrbob

DCharlie said:
JR mentioned the queues/mayhem - then went to Shibuya today at lunch time- and there was (at least) DS levels of ZOMG!MONSTUREHUNTA MUSTBYE!

For Monster Hunter Portable 2?

I don't understand the Japanese market at all. :/

DCharlie

i only played it briefly - and i'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me but what i've seen of MH2P looks a little different (the town for instance)

Game looks amazing - Capcom are kings of all platforms, pay your homages now.

sprsk

force push the doodoo rock
I'd say 400kish

I(maybe) and probably most of the boys in my second year classes will be buying this game today.

It's a big deal.

Edit: actually, I think I'll buy it and then bring it to gaijin meeting tonight. DC you gonna be there?

cvxfreak

Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing have quite a few eerie similarities.

Both were released on a console (in this case, GC and PS2 ignoring the N64 version for a second here) and were subsequently upgraded (ACe+, MHG) but when they hit the DS and PSP, their sales pretty much erupted and stayed on the charts for so long.

I really want that gold PSP that was released today. :D

gconsole

Mrbob said:
For Monster Hunter Portable 2?

I don't understand the Japanese market at all. :/

The first game sold almost a million. What is so surprise for the sequel to be successful at this level?

DCharlie

Online play?

... have a guess!

actually, i quickly scanned one of the boxes there was some spiel about "feb 2007 : no online play" perhaps it's planned or something? it does say that infrastructure mode is included (but that could be for anything - it says Adhoc 2-4 players, it just says infra mode included : no player indication)

NomarTyme

DCharlie said:
... have a guess!

actually, i quickly scanned one of the boxes there was some spiel about "feb 2007 : no online play" perhaps it's planned or something? it does say that infrastructure mode is included (but that could be for anything - it says Adhoc 2-4 players, it just says infra mode included : no player indication)
I thought the infrastructure was d/ling new missions or something.

DCharlie said:
... have a guess!

Unfortunately the infrastructure mode is only for downloadable updates (new quests and such)
X-Link will have to do for now.

Brofist

I think it'll sell well, but will it really push that much hardware. Surely most people interested have bought a PSP already for the first one.

I think 350k software, 45k hardware

Well I guess I can't complain, at least Japan uses the WWW for posting futa pr0n.

Now if only they'd stop the. . .

headinsandwd7.jpg

When it comes to on-line play and the rest of the world.

It disgusts me.

Japan is so far behind the West when it comes to on-line gaming it's not even funny.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
DCharlie said:
i only played it briefly - and i'm not sure if my mind is playing tricks on me but what i've seen of MH2P looks a little different (the town for instance)

Game looks amazing - Capcom are kings of all platforms, pay your homages now.

Do you think it's fairly easy to play in Japanese? Some of the screens I saw looked a bit overwhelming, but I think it would be good practice.

DCharlie

Do you think it's fairly easy to play in Japanese? Some of the screens I saw looked a bit overwhelming, but I think it would be good practice.

i played through the original in Japanese with no issues and my Japanese is about as much use as a condom machine in the Vatican.

Top Bottom