• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Monster Hunter Portable 2 first week japanese sales prediction thread.

Mrbob

Wow, crazy phenomenon indeed.

I know peepz probably think Sony should get Monster Hunter on PS3 (and they should), but I don't think it'll have the same effect on a console as it does on a portable. In a way this reminds me of pokemon, whereas the portable releases are much more recognized than the console releases due to the style of game.

Mrbob said:
Wow, crazy phenomenon indeed.

I know peepz probably think Sony should get Monster Hunter on PS3 (and they should), but I don't think it'll have the same effect on a console as it does on a portable. In a way this reminds me of pokemon, whereas the portable releases are much more recognized than the console releases due to the style of game.
Monster Hunter is a console game first and foremost, and MH3 is already in development for the PS3.
I'm glad we are getting MHP2 here in the states but if had the choice between MHP2 and MHdos, Dos would win hands down.

That being said, MHP2 is the greatest handheld game since Tetris.

klee123

jarrod said:
Er... so the core appeal of Mario games is... Mario? People just play them to play with Mario?

But for true Monster Hunter awesomness, I thought you'd need online play. :p

Judging from the sales of the first game in Japan, it pretty much says that despite the lack of online play, people are still gonna buy it and enjoy playing it via wireless. The sales of the second game pretty much proves my point.

But hey, it's jarrod!, who spins any good PSP news into bad news!

Doctor_No said:
I think that there are games that are well suited for the DS, and games that are well suited for the PSP (which is the case with Monster Hunter-series). This whole console wars thing is unnecessary, really, we should all be hoping for games that take full advantage of each platform's unique attributes to its fullest.

um... ok... I didn't even mention another system but whatever, that's cool. :lol

Doctor_No

Chris Michael said:
um... ok... I didn't even mention another system but whatever, that's cool. :lol

Sorry for the confusion, I wasn't directing comment primarily at you just the direction the thread was going. My apologies. But the first MH on the PSP was a huge seller as well, I think publishers are well aware at what software appeals to which gamers on either platform, and I think games will be targeted accordingly.

jarrod

Banned
Okay, okay... I'm officially announcing my retirement from PSP trolling. Frankly, the platform's doing badly enough on it's own it doesn't need me! :D

Okay, seriously, that was the last one. :lol

In other news, MHP2nd's stunning sales are great sign for Capcom. Seriously, it couldn't have happened to a more deserving company. CAPCOM!

jarrod

Banned
psychodoodle said:
Except you lack the wit, writing skills, and wicked sense of humour.
Indeed, aspiring to greatness!
Man, I even agree to let up on GameCube Portable and you guys still gotta get your licks in. You Sonycore are really taking this whole PSP thing to heart. :lol

As far as drohne, I also lack the angst I guess, and the general fear of chang3. Maybe we're not much alike... outside subversively honest trolls? Either way, it was just an example of how not all bad behavior lends to immediate bans.

gconsole

typhonsentra said:
The series has always been very popular, but nothing like this.

This sets like, three records, right?

1.) Best first week for a PSP game.
2.) Best first week for a handheld (Edit: 3rd party, sorry) game.
3.) Best first week for any Capcom game to date (Am I wrong?).

Capcom First week record (Japan)

1 Biohazard 2 - 1.3 M
2 Biohazard 3 - 1.1 M
3 Street Fighter 2 - 1 M
4 Monster Hunter Portable 2 - 0.75 M

jett

D-Member
Those be some impressive numbers. Capcom's best-selling title in Japan in years is a PSP game...lulz.

Brofist

Jonnyram said:
So, who was closest? :D

well to be fair I actually read the title as 1st day prediction, so my 350,000 at that time was much closer. :D I'd have probably guessed between 500-600,000 for the week.

ant1532

Banned
I always wanted to buy and play the first one for PS2 but for some reason I never did. The online co-op dragon slaying sounded neat.

How are the PSP ones? Is there online also?

Defuser

ant1532 said:
I always wanted to buy and play the first one for PS2 but for some reason I never did. The online co-op dragon slaying sounded neat.

How are the PSP ones? Is there online also?
You need Xlink Kai for online

ant1532 said:
So you need X-link kai for online. Thats it, it works damn good.

And the real reason that capcom hasn't built infrastructure into the game is probably a matter of processing power. MHP2 is the best looking hand held game out on the market, online it's a game that requires communication, so since there is no psp keyboard that would have to mean voice chat. And the system could simply not handle all of that going on at the same time.

Xiaoki

500,000 on the first day and 700,000 in 3 days is just mind blowing. You can be sure that there will several more Monster Hunters on the PSP.

A Capcom rep on the official message boards said they really tried to get infrastsructure in the Us and Euro versions of MHF2 but didnt have enough time. I guess they figured that delaying it and putting it in wouldnt be worth 10 times as many sales.

Personally I hope that the PS3 version of MH is so far beyond what MH is right now that a port to PSP just would not be possible. That way they could do a seperate version for PSP and have it link with the PS3 version in some way.

Mook1e

Xiaoki said:
500,000 on the first day and 700,000 in 3 days is just mind blowing. You can be sure that there will several more Monster Hunters on the PSP.

A Capcom rep on the official message boards said they really tried to get infrastsructure in the Us and Euro versions of MHF2 but didnt have enough time. I guess they figured that delaying it and putting it in wouldnt be worth 10 times as many sales.

Personally I hope that the PS3 version of MH is so far beyond what MH is right now that a port to PSP just would not be possible. That way they could do a seperate version for PSP and have it link with the PS3 version in some way.
:(
I think the main problem is that the majority of PSP users barely know they can play PSP over the internet using the wifi.

Yet another failure on the part of Sony in advertising the system's strengths.

I'll buy this day one when it arrives in the USA, though. Didn't buy the first one in protest of the lack of infrastructure.

Mook1e said:
:(
I think the main problem is that the majority of PSP users barely know they can play PSP over the internet using the wifi.

Yet another failure on the part of Sony in advertising the system's strengths.

I'll buy this day one when it arrives in the USA, though. Didn't buy the first one in protest of the lack of infrastructure.

Not a very smart move.
i can understand wanting to "vote with your dollar" but Monster Hunter is not the franchise you should bet on to wage that fight. If we don't buy the game, Capcom just wont localize it.
(thinks of Dos... and sobs.)

Mook1e

MickeyKnox said:
[/B]
Not a very smart move.
i can understand wanting to "vote with your dollar" but Monster Hunter is not the franchise you should bet on to wage that fight. If we don't buy the game, Capcom just wont localize it.
(thinks of Dos... and sobs.)
It was on my long backlog list. I planned to buy it, but not at full price.
I will buy MHF2 day one, though.

jarrod
Banned
(Today, 12:52 AM)
Reply | Quote

Wow, I never thought that would happen. He's been "on thin ice" for months now.

bud

jarrod
Banned
Reply | Quote

dammedancing01.gif

Brofist

bud said:
jarrod
Banned
Reply | Quote

dammedancing01.gif

this is no surprise at all, he had been asking for it lately. a shame because he seems to know a lot about games, and can be a decent poster when he isn't in full troll mode.

Jarrod banned? Ha, didnt noticed. Well, except for his trolling, I agree, hes a cool guy.

BUT HE TROLLS PSP, SO HE MUST DIE A SLOW, PAINFUL, MARQUIS DE SADE INSPIRED DEATH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Top Bottom