• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DS games worth getting (Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 pimp thread)?

Quagm1r3

I'm going to target today and I'm wondering what DS game to get. I already got pokemon and EBA. I heard Zelda's good but I don't know if that's been released yet. Same for the new Ninja Gaiden DS game. Any suggestions?

Jammy

Banned
Zelda: PH and Ninja Gaiden DS aren't out yet.

If you're into puzzle games, check out Tetris DS, Planet Puzzle League, or Meteos.
Kirby: Canvas Curse is a must, as is Mario Kart DS.
Etrian Odyssey and FFVI (Advance) are great RPGs.
Phoenix Wright 1 and 2 are both great.
Trauma Center if you don't have a Wii.

WildArms

Best game ever, shame about the sequels
Phoenix Wright 1 and 2
Castlevania Dawn and Portrait.
New Super Mario Bros.
Mario Kart DS
Also, import Ouendan 1 and 2.

Go, NOW.

KINGMOKU

advanceddscopy.jpg

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
I'll never understand why people think its okay to start new advice threads without even searching first.

nli10

Doytch said:
Isn't it out of print? I couldn't find a new one at all.

I'd say it's worth the hunt - 2nd hand is cool too.

If you like tanks, or strategy, chess or never needing another game ever you should buy it.

Puzzle quest is also fun, but I got tired of it after a month or so - keeping it to go back to.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Zefah said:
I'll never understand why people think its okay to start new advice threads without even searching first.

I know. It's pretty annoying. Do people really think there's never been a DS game advice thread before?

Anyway, Age of Empires is my fav DS game.

Umino

Because certain people need something to talk about.
Can you operate the search function on the DS web browser? If so get that. The search function obviously doesn't work in your current browser.

Edit: Why the hell are you buying a system with no idea on what games to buy? Do you just see sales numbers and say "Oh, looks like the DS is doing well. I'll pick one up today but certainly not before making an obligatory thread on my way out the door."

dave_d

nli10 said:
I'd say it's worth the hunt - 2nd hand is cool too.

If you like tanks, or strategy, chess or never needing another game ever you should buy it.

Puzzle quest is also fun, but I got tired of it after a month or so - keeping it to go back to.

Really? I just checked on Amazon, man it's $60+. (I'm hoping for a reprint.)

Amir0x

Banned
Since dog$ was so kind to point out the five billion other DS recommendation threads, I thought I'd hijack this thread to take the time to pimp a rather overlooked game in the DS library.

250px-Mario-vs-donkey-kong-2-march-of-the-minis-20060614044530943.jpg

Do not make the mistake and ignore this title. With its puzzle-action-platformer roots (whatever genre you wanna classify it as), it integrates a sort of lemmings-esque gameplay system which has you controlling multiple Mario Mini's to try to reach the exit with as many of them alive as possible.

It is also awesome because the true original Nintendo hentai hottie is in it, Pauline.

mario-vs-donkey-kong-2-march-of-the-minis-20060915061154206.jpg

Clearly Pauline is a better damsel in distress than Princess Peach. But this is not the only benefit of this awesome game. It has the most **** awesomest of awesome level editors I've used since Megaman Powered Up.

mario-vs-donkey-kong-2-march-of-the-minis-20060915061151768.jpg

It is bad ass, and fun! Yes, it isn't quite perfectly... namely, the boss battles with Donkey Kong are pretty weak (odd since the game is called Mario vs. Donkey Kong!), but since there are only a few of those levels and a billion of the other types of levels, this is small fries. The game constantly throws new things at you that keeps you on your toes, and getting gold stars on every level can be quite a challenge.

mario-vs-donkey-kong-2-march-of-the-minis-20060823053946679.jpg
mario-vs-donkey-kong-2-march-of-the-minis-20060901032856088.jpg

Buy this game. Don't be a fool, like dog$.

Haunted

Amir0x said:
Since dog$ was so kind to point out the five billion other DS recommendation threads, I thought I'd hijack this thread to take the time to pimp a rather overlooked game in the DS library.

(pimpage)

Buy this game. Don't be a fool, like dog$.
Amir0x, I know you have your faults and all, but this... this is why you're a good person. I'm 100% behind this recommendation.

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Hcoregamer00 said:
Bingo, you haven't lived until you played Phoenix Wright/Ace Attorney.

This is the correct answer.

Also Etrian Odyssey. Both took me to places in gaming I have not been in years.

Blackace

Fuzzy said:
I didn't really get into it but I suppose I can give it another shot.

felt the same way. Had some decent levels. But didn't dig it too much..

Fuzzy

I would bang a hot farmer!
Blackace said:
MvsDK and M&L really disappointed me after loving the GBA games.

Blackace

Fuzzy said:
MvsDK and M&L really disappointed me after loving the GBA games.

had fun with M&L but wasn't feel MvsDK and I too loved the gba versions.

Quagm1r3

Amir0x said:
I thought I'd hijack this thread...

HOW DARE YOU!!!

Just kidding.
Actually, ever since dog$ posted all those links to all the different DS threads I've just been looking at those anyway :D

P.S. Sorry for making ANOTHER DS advice thread, plz stop flaming me...it hurtz my feelingz :(

drohne

hyperbolically metafictive
hm...i really liked mario vs dk 1, but mario vs dk 2 seems to be some kinda touchscreen lemmings dealy. i don't want a touchscreen lemmings dealy. i want puzzly platforming.

callous

How lucky that you didn't search and look in one of the 258 other "best DS games?" threads from recent months. This way, we get the number up to 259!

Mario Kart.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Blackace said:
I thought it wasn't so great at first and pushed on, it gets surprisingly good and I think I prefer it to the gba one now.

golds are tricky, but not impossible. haven't got em all yet, but hoping for something neat if I do (think maybe there won't be anything though)

Amir0x

Banned
drohne said:
hm...i really liked mario vs dk 1, but mario vs dk 2 seems to be some kinda touchscreen lemmings dealy. i don't want a touchscreen lemmings dealy. i want puzzly platforming.

I wanted puzzly platforming as well, I admit. I was initially disappointed when I played 'cause of this, but then it got really involving even in the new format. Like you said it's a lemmings sorta thing, and I really liked the lemmings games... so it ended up great anyway imo. Did you not like Lemmings games, or just not Mario vs. Donkey Kong 2 Lemmings-style?

Top Bottom