• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Radeon HD 3870 X2, 3870, 3850 Info

artist

Banned
6khpt8z.jpg
73ecm6w.jpg

7157dki.jpg
6yl6sqq.jpg

8346bu0.jpg
6urc0fn.jpg

72sv0ac.jpg
6jyanbo.jpg

6ksyd7t.jpg

AMD tells partners to focus on 3850 with GDDR3
HD3850 and HD3870 will finally be quiet
Radeon HD3800 series launches on the 14th

HD38xx Summary so far;

Pros
-Cheap (HD3870 $200, HD3850 $150)
-Silent (10dBA quiet compared to 8800GT)
-Power consumption
-DirectX 10.1 (not supported on 8800GT)
-Full bitstream VC1 decoding (not supported on 8800GT)
-CrossFireX (not supported on 8800GT, 8800GT lacks dual SLI connectors)

Cons
-Performance below 8800GT

The HD3850 should absolutely kill the the joke DX10 cards (8600GTS/2600XT). :lol

Xavien

To me it looks like a standard die decrease and clock increase, no new features or architecture differences over the 2900's.

Less power draw is nice though.

Oh and, Crossfire is AMD/ATi's competing version of SLi, i doubt Nvidia's cards will ever work with crossfire.

nubbe

666 ... I has satan writen all over it

Looks ineresting as a HTPC/Game card if it can handle 8 PCM streams over HDMI and ain't neutered in that area like 2x00.

But personally... I'm looking forward to the 780G chipset :p

artist

Banned
Xavien said:
To me it looks like a standard die decrease and clock increase, no new features or architecture differences over the 2900's.
Doesnt that sound just like G92 also? :D It didnt even add DirectX10.1 support .. :/

Xavien said:
Oh and, Crossfire is AMD/ATi's competing version of SLi, i doubt Nvidia's cards will ever work with crossfire.
You can SLI two (max) 8800GTs, but you can CrossFire upto 4 3870/3850s.

Mindlog

OK, ENOUGH

8800GTx7045^2FXNITRO

It got old 4 chip generations ago. Cut it out and think of a new name.

both ATI and Nvidia, jebus.

but thank you for coming through with the increased energy efficiency

"Doesnt that sound just like G92 also? It didnt even add DirectX10.1 support .. :/"

10.1 doesn't seem particularly interesting.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
nubbe said:
666 ... I has satan writen all over it

Looks ineresting as a HTPC/Game card if it can handle 8 PCM streams over HDMI and ain't neutered in that area like 2x00.

But personally... I'm looking forward to the 780G chipset :p
Same here :D

Btw, the HD3800 cards will have a feature called PowerPlay. The ATi/GPU version of CoolnQuiet/SpeedSteam aka GPU power scaling on-demand.

MaX_PL

Banned
so the 8800gt is 300 bucks, this card is 200 bucks. how much worse is the performance of the GT compared to this new ATi card?

Mrbob

So this is just a 55nm 2900 card?

The 2900 was already lacking in performance. Sad to see it wasn't boosted.

Edit: Just saw the 3870 is somewhat more powerful and only 200 bucks, not bad.

Vic

Please help me with my bad english
Mrbob said:

The 3870 will probably outscore the 2900 but that doesn't mean anything..

sk3tch

We'll see how this pans out once the hardware enthusiast sites get their hands on these cards. ATI has a lot to prove. nVidia has been kicking their butts, recently.

artist

Banned
MaX_PL said:
so the 8800gt is 300 bucks, this card is 200 bucks. how much worse is the performance of the GT compared to this new ATi card?
See it this way, you have $200-300 to spend get an 8800GT. Anything less then HD3870/3850.

Mrbob said:

The "boost" is mentioned in the first slide, HD3870 X2. Sadly the way it is right now, both Nvidia and AMD will be milking the high-end with dual chip or dual PCB cards.

JoeMartin

HD3850 GET.

Seriously though, sounds like just the ticket for me. Yeah I know, ATI hasn't been matching nVidia's performance options out there, but that's really quite the steal at $150. Should tie my waning desktop over for a while.

JoeFu

Banned
Looking forward to getting the HD3870. I hope retailers don't price gauge this like crazy 200 bucks sounds awesome.

How much of a performance boost should I be expecting? I have a x1950xt 256MB.

hanger102

Yea it'll be interesting to see how well this preforms compared to the 8800GT... for about 100 bucks cheaper it might be worth it. Even tho I just got the 8800GT.....

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
While 8 monitor support is cool and all, it doesn't seem practical for a typical desk setup unless you go Matrix style...

artist

Banned
JoeFu said:
How much of a performance boost should I be expecting? I have a x1950xt 256MB.
2900XT plus or minus 10%. Could be more if they improved the AA.

XiaNaphryz said:
While 8 monitor support is cool and all, it doesn't seem practical for a typical desk setup unless you go Matrix style...
No dual-monitor support for SLI, so thats a big win for AMD.

Davidion said:
Also, what's this about the 780g chipset?
AMD's integrated graphics chipset (DX10, UVD), ideal for HTPCs.

NotWii

Banned
Might get the 3870 in a year or two.

Mindlog said:
OK, ENOUGH

8800GTx7045^2FXNITRO

It got old 4 chip generations ago. Cut it out and think of a new name.

both ATI and Nvidia, jebus.

but thank you for coming through with the increased energy efficiency
YES!

Kabouter

Those are some pretty fine gains. Might be worth it just to get a 3850 instead of replacing the fan on my 7800GTX.

Jaagen

I think the HD 3850 will be my new card. I was almost buying the X1950 Pro, before I heard this comes out, and it seems like this will perform higher at roughly the same power drainage.

I would just like to say that any trend where top-shelf gaming is enabled by an inexpensive "base" card like the 8800GT or the 3870 and can be upgraded further by slapping in more cards depending on how much performance you need is a very good thing for all segments of the market.

Provided that power consumption is moderate and driver support doesn't blow, of course.

DrEvil

not a medical professional
I might just have to get two 3870s instead of an 8800gt.. my p5k deluxe is crossfire ready, so this might just be worth it.. esp. at 400$ for both cards?

rock on.

Xavien

irfan said:
Doesnt that sound just like G92 also? :D It didnt even add DirectX10.1 support .. :/

You can SLI two (max) 8800GTs, but you can CrossFire upto 4 3870/3850s.

G92 changed architecture to reduce power draw and heat in addition to shrinking the G90's die to reduce power/heat. Sure they didn't add DirectX 10.1 support, but there's no real advantages to DirectX10.1 over DirectX10 is there?

Oh and SLI can SLI as many cards as you wish, as long as there is enough slots, look up Quad SLI on google. But really, who would SLI/Crossfire 4 of any graphics card? the heat generated and the power drawn would be staggering.

artist

Banned
Xavien said:
G92 changed architecture to reduce power draw and heat in addition to shrinking the G90's die to reduce power/heat. Sure they didn't add DirectX 10.1 support, but there's no real advantages to DirectX10.1 over DirectX10 is there?
And there are "real" advantages to DX10 over DX9? See mine and Tek's posts above. ;)

Xavien said:
Oh and SLI can SLI as many cards as you wish, as long as there is enough slots, look up Quad SLI on google. But really, who would SLI/Crossfire 4 of any graphics card? the heat generated and the power drawn would be staggering.
Quad SLI was possible with a dual PCB 7960GX2. You cant Quad SLI anything other than that, well "Tri" SLI for 8800GTX and 8800GTS is coming soon. But yeah, 2 x 8800GT and upto 4 x HD3870. (And no dual monitor support for 2 x 8800GT but 8 monitor support for 4 x HD3870)

As to who does that? People who are willing to burn money for the top dog.

Ahriman

8 monitor support? So with 2 cards, up to 4 screens? Hardcore simmers will be all over this, especially given the reasonable price.

"What's the difference between the 3870 and the 3870x2?"

3870x2 is literally 2 3870s, Crossfired.

4 Crossfired cards sounds impressive, but I want to recall Crossfire just having meh driver/game support in general.

JoeFu

Banned
OH okay, thanks

And I'm looking forward to the low noise level. My 1950xt gets really loud when I'm playing games.

SRG01

This might seem like trolling (it's not), but these new card offerings are drawing a big yawn from me over here. There are no dealmakers from these new cards. The performance is already lower than a 8800GT as it is, and judging from current market situations, pushing a lower price point for non-comparable performance has not helped AMD for the past year or so.

PS. I love the squirrelly graphs that they give. :lol

edit: PPS. I thought 8800GT Purevideo had VC1 decoding too.

Pachael

8800GT only has h.264 decoding on GPU. I think. And I thought ATI had something massive, it's more of a meh.

artist

Banned
SRG01 said:
This might seem like trolling (it's not), but these new card offerings are drawing a big yawn from me over here. There are no dealmakers from these new cards. The performance is already lower than a 8800GT as it is, and judging from current market situations, pushing a lower price point for non-comparable performance has not helped AMD for the past year or so.
How is non-comparable performance? The 3850 should totally destroy anything thats in the sub $200 market. Nvidia has no answer, not even in their roadmaps for the next few months. The 3870 should be more interesting considering its clocks are not final yet.

Also in the past, AMD always had a 50-100% gpu size disadvantage. So basically they were providing the same performance for twice the cost (to them). In this round though, they have almost a 70% die advantage. That is a HUGE a turn around for them.

SRG01 said:
PS. I love the squirrelly graphs that they give. :lol
You want me to post Nvidia's graphs?:lol

SRG01 said:
edit: PPS. I thought 8800GT Purevideo had VC1 decoding too.
Not bitstream VC1.:D

"8800GT only has h.264 decoding on GPU. I think. And I thought ATI had something massive, it's more of a meh."

I'm pretty sure the PureVideo stuff on the 8800GT and 8600 line does h.264, mpeg-2, and WMV decoding.

Mrbob

How much performance gain do you truly get by adding another card?

If I have a 3870 or a 8800GT, it would almost seem like money would be better spent to get a new card in two years instead of the same card to run in dual mode.

The 3870X2 is two 3870s on one board?

artist

Banned
Mrbob said:
How much performance gain do you truly get by adding another card?
On average, 1.6x (slide 6)
Mrbob said:
If I have a 3870 or a 8800GT, it would almost seem like money would be better spent to get a new card in two years instead of the same card to run in dual mode.
True. The only wrench in that plan is that if you dont want to upgrade your whole PC (CPU, RAM, Mobo), you could go for CrossFire/SLI.
Mrbob said:
The 3870X2 is two 3870s on one board?
Yes.

1-D_FTW

I think the general rule (based on the benchmarks I've seen) is you see the real gains at the super high resolutions. If you're playing at low/moderate resolutions you see very little gain with SLI. Maybe I've just seen limited benchmarks, but that's my impression of it. If 1920*1080 or higher is your minimum resolution, it's got some merit.

artist

Banned
phez said:

wtf?
Makes sense.

Nvidia's lineup is the worst, evar!

8800Ultra
8800GTX
8800GTS (128SP, G92) Dec 3
8800GTS (112SP, G80) New
8800GT (112SP, G92) New :lol
8800GTS (96SP, G80)