• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Lost Odyssey (Xbox 360) Official Japanese Release Thread

duckroll

That's the novel with 31 of the 34 short stories in the game compiled together.

There's something interesting I read on the Japanese LO wiki site. It seems that there's more than meets the eye to the battle system, even though it's a turn based system. While it doesn't use any ATB system, there's apparently a precise calculation for how turns go. You make all the selections for all your party members at the start of a turn, but in what order they carry out those actions depends on the action selected.

Here are some basic rules:

Defend -> Item -> Attack -> Skill/Magic -> Escape -> Row Change.

What this means is that why character that is defending, will always defend right at the start of a turn, before any attacks can be made. Next will be the characters using items. Next the regular attackers will attack in an order determined by their Agility. Skill and Magic casters will be next, but it should be noted that regular attacks against casters (which will always occur before casting) can delay or cancel such spells and skills. Next will be the escape attempt, and finally characters who which to change their row placement (front/back) will make their move.

Apparently it's also possible to change equipment while in battle, but it's no one is sure how it affects turn order at the moment.

Jinko

I assume thats only for your characters, I mean your actions can't determine the way your enemy takes its turn for example ?

From the demo it seems you take all your characters turns and then the enemy gets its turn as opposed to a mixture.

Interesting non the less.

duckroll

Jinko said:
I assume thats only for your characters, I mean your actions can't determine the way your enemy takes its turn for example ?

From the demo it seems you take all your characters turns and then the enemy gets its turn as opposed to a mixture.

Interesting non the less.

No, it applies across the board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D8PAU_iBun0&feature=related

Just watch this video. In the first battle. Sakaguchi sets Kaim and Seth to use skills, and Jansen to cast a spell. As such in the first turn the 2 birds did regular attacks first, and then the player characters did their attacks. The monster casting the spell is last. In the next turn the skills were pulled off first because only the spell casting enemy is left.

duckroll said:
There's something interesting I read on the Japanese LO wiki site. It seems that there's more than meets the eye to the battle system, even though it's a turn based system. While it doesn't use any ATB system, there's apparently a precise calculation for how turns go.

Wow, that's awesome. I love persnickety timing stuff in turn-based systems. In a lot of games where you select everything upfront it feels kind of random what order things go off in -- hard to predict; if it's something you can rely on in this game, and you can make tactical use of it to prevent enemy spellcasting, use specific defensive abilities, etc. then that's really neat!

Kyoufu

duckroll said:
There's something interesting I read on the Japanese LO wiki site. It seems that there's more than meets the eye to the battle system, even though it's a turn based system. While it doesn't use any ATB system, there's apparently a precise calculation for how turns go. You make all the selections for all your party members at the start of a turn, but in what order they carry out those actions depends on the action selected.

Err, you didn't expect that kind of system to begin with? Its nothing new...

Skilletor

Kyoufu said:

I expected You go, I go. Without any explanation of the order of things, I assumed it was the speed/agility of the characters that would determine order. Mage characters are slower, quick flying birds go first. The explanation clears things up.

duckroll

Kyoufu said:

So what other turn based RPGs use this action priority system? I can think of Grandia. Can you think of anything else? :)

Kyoufu

duckroll said:
So what other turn based RPGs use this action priority system? I can think of Grandia. Can you think of anything else? :)

FFX in particular is worth mentioning since it had no ATB, but speed relating actions which determined the order of moves in the battle.

ethelred

Kyoufu said:
FFX in particular is worth mentioning since it had no ATB, but speed relating actions which determined the order of moves in the battle.

The system ducky just described is not at all how FFX worked.

duckroll

Kyoufu said:

How is FFX similar at all? In FFX when a character gets a turn, he takes the turn immediately. Completely.... different. :p

Lightning

Banned
Do we know what the demand in Japan for this game is like or what store pre-orders are?

I made my mind up, once this game hits Europe I will be buying a 360. This game looks awesome!!!

Sakaguchi really seems to be able to take the traditional turn based battle system and add little touches to make it feel nice and fresh.

Sviatoslav said:
Sakaguchi really seems to be able to take the traditional turn based battle system and add little touches to make it feel nice and fresh.

Glad we can recognize this, since the critics certainly won't!

Desiderus

Sviatoslav said:
But still it doesn't seem that mindblowing but more restricting. You can't spam skills to kill some shit monster that keeps popping up without taking damage. I would like it but not in that situation.

I wish magic took a while to cast, something like in FFT so using spells would leave someone out of commission for a while (like with FF4 though ATB).

edit:I want to know why sometimes during the video during the boss mostly why characters seemed to do nothing. Stun?

Jonnyram

Actually, that system could take a bit of getting used to, because basically you won't be able to use magic to heal before an enemy gets an attack in - healing magic will always come after. So you'll either have to use items in emergencies, or heal the turn before. Interesting...

duckroll

Jonnyram said:
Actually, that system could take a bit of getting used to, because basically you won't be able to use magic to heal before an enemy gets an attack in - healing magic will always come after. So you'll either have to use items in emergencies, or heal the turn before. Interesting...

Exactly! More interesting, because spells always come -after- regular attacks (and probably most attack skills), this means that for your back row casters, you'll definitely want to keep your Guard Condition high. If enemies can cancel your spells with certain attacks, that would be bad. I like how the entire system seems intergrated and is making sense from a gameplay standpoint now. :)

Desiderus said:
edit:I want to know why sometimes during the video during the boss mostly why characters seemed to do nothing. Stun?

Because he was cheating and wanted to die on purpose. He set Jansen's to defend for the first two turns, until the Guard Condition was significantly lowered. Then he made him cast a spell, which would result in him getting killed before he would ever cast it. :lol

Jinko

Yea, but you never know what the enemy plans to do, so it becomes more a game of chance than strategy.

It also means using magic comes at a higher cost, so its less wise to use it.

Desiderus

duckroll said:
Because he was cheating and wanted to die on purpose. He set Jansen's to defend for the first two turns, until the Guard Condition was significantly lowered. Then he made him cast a spell, which would result in him getting killed before he would ever cast it. :lol
Oh alright, I would be pissed if your characters sometimes decided to say "fuck it" during a turn.

Skilletor

Jinko said:
Yea, but you never know what the enemy plans to do, so it becomes more a game of chance than strategy.

It also means using magic comes at a higher cost, so its less wise to use it.

That's different from most every other RPG...how, exactly?

Re Magic: Or it's a good idea to protect your mages since they'll be able to do more damage with their magic attacks while your melee attack and stun/delay other people so that mages can get their attacks off.

Jinko

Skilletor said:
That's different from most every other RPG...how, exactly?

I never said it wasn't, on paper it sounds cool, but i think in reality it won't be of much difference.

Also if both characters and enemies choose attack how does it determine who goes first ?

ethelred

Jinko said:

Can you please point out a single game of strategy that tells you what your opponent is going to do? Chess? Monopoly? Risk?

Part of strategy is evaluating the conditions of the field and making your best guess as to what's going to happen next.

Skilletor

Jinko said:
I never said it wasn't, on paper it sounds cool, but i think in reality it won't be of much difference.

Also if both characters and enemies choose attack how does it determine who goes first ?

Agility/Speed determines who goes first in that case.

Jinko said:
Exactly so it works out to be no different, right ?

In that it's a good idea to plan ahead...I guess you're right, it's no different. In implementation, it's quite different from the standard turn based. In that you can rely on a consistent turn order.

It's like you're trying to be dense.

ethelred

Jinko said:
Exactly so it works out to be no different, right ?

I don't understand what you're saying. Your claim is that this means there's no strategy in the game because strategy doesn't involve predictions or guesses, when this is absolutely wrong. There is strategy involved, and the system is actually pretty unique (I can't think of many other RPGs that have their turns play out in a rigid order like this that the player needs to master and work within). So... really, what's your point?

duckroll

Another thing to note would be that with a specific turn order system like this, it makes AI routines more important and interesting. With a veteren like Katsuhisa Higuchi on board for battle programming, I can definitely see now why Sakaguchi said he made a huge difference in terms of AI planning, boss patterns and so on.

Desiderus

I really wish more JRPG's used a modified D&D system. Where skills would leave you open for crits, temp lower attack, or cut your evasion in half for a time. Really would make you evaluate your battles better.

duckroll

Desiderus said:
I really wish more JRPG's used a modified D&D system. Where skills would leave you open for crits, temp lower attack, or cut your evasion in half for a time. Really would make you evaluate your battles better.

Honestly, that's a horrible idea. An actual implementation of anything close to D&D's rules in a completely turn based game would be the slowest and most boring thing ever. This is why all CRPGs that use D&D rules choose to make it pseudo-realtime so most of the turns are invisible.

It's one thing to be sitting on a table with friends rolling save throws. It's another thing sitting in front of a TV wondering when the fucking turn will ever end.

Desiderus

ethelred said:
Christing christcakes, why? Aren't there enough things in the world using D&D as it is?
dude I am not asking for D20 dice rolls just negative effects for using skills, items, and magic.

Duckroll said:
It's one thing to be sitting on a table with friends rolling save throws. It's another thing sitting in front of a TV wondering when the fucking turn will ever end.
How would that affect overall turn length? It would be in the description ex. "Double slash- skill double damage lowers evasion for two turns". If you know you will be alright with the loss evasion it is a no brainer.

Jinko said:
Infact you have a disadvantage, in regards to healing and casting spell.
You'll finally use those stacks of potions in your inventory other then for the final boss.

Jinko

ethelred said:
I don't understand what you're saying. Your claim is that this means there's no strategy in the game because strategy doesn't involve predictions or guesses, when this is absolutely wrong. There is strategy involved, and the system is actually pretty unique (I can't think of many other RPGs that have their turns play out in a rigid order like this that the player needs to master and work within). So... really, what's your point?

What I'm saying is that a turn based game is stratigical by nature, this system doesn't really add anything, if you know the system you still have no advantage. (as you don't know what the enemy is going to do)

duckroll said:
Another thing to note would be that with a specific turn order system like this, it makes AI routines more important and interesting. With a veteren like Katsuhisa Higuchi on board for battle programming, I can definitely see now why Sakaguchi said he made a huge difference in terms of AI planning, boss patterns and so on.

Who is this guy and why should I like him, ducky?

duckroll

Desiderus said:
dude I am not asking for D20 dice rolls just negative effects for using skills, items, and magic.

The reason why it works in D&D is because the battles go on for literally dozens of turns per battle though. It's really sped up A LOT in CRPGs. If it were an actual turn-based game, a lot of the concepts wouldn't really have much effect. If you simplify them too much, then it becomes no different from what we're really looking at here for example.

Attack of Oppuntunity vs Concentration for a spell = Spells are the last thing cast in a turn, casters are vulnerable to having spells cancelled or delayed by enemy attacks.

Attack of Oppuntunity vs Non-combat movement = Escaping or row swapping is the last action, meaning all enemies can attack you before that happens.

duckroll

FateBreaker said:
Who is this guy and why should I like him, ducky?

He's the battle programmer for FF3-5, CT, Xenogears, and CC. He was responsible for all the AI routines and calculation modules in CC. He's also the FFXI battle director, responsible for all the game balance, the creation of the battle system, etc.

Skilletor

Jinko said:
What I'm saying is that a turn based game is stratigical by nature, this system doesn't really add anything, if you know the system you still have no advantage. (as you don't know what the enemy is going to do)

Just to be clear here: you ARE trying to be dense, right?

If you don't see how this is different you either:
A) Don't play many rpgs
B) Just want to hate on this game

or

C) Both of the above.

Desiderus

duckroll said:
He's the battle programmer for FF3-5, CT, Xenogears, and CC. He was responsible for all the AI routines and calculation modules in CC. He's also the FFXI battle director, responsible for all the game balance, the creation of the battle system, etc.
With Warrior skills being a good representation of what I was trying to say. Berserk, Defender, Aggressor. Even Scholars and Samurai with Light and Dark arts and Hasso and Segan except for the ability to swap between them at any time. Other examples like Bard's Troubadour or a Monk's Counterstance.

Jinko

Skilletor said:
Just to be clear here: you ARE trying to be dense, right?

If you don't see how this is different you either:
A) Don't play many rpgs
B) Just want to hate on this game

or

C) Both of the above.

Would be D neither.

The way I see it, is it forces you to attack more and use spells less.

Where is the fun in that ?

It also makes you rely on items more which is all well and good until you run out of potions :S

duckroll

Desiderus said:
With Warrior skills being a good representation of what I was trying to say. Berserk, Defender, Aggreseive. Even Scholars and Samurai with Light and Dark arts and Hasso and Segan except for the ability to swap between them at any time.

Well I agree that Modes would make an interesting element in JRPGs, but that's not really representative of the entire D&D system at all. I think there are definitely ideas that JRPG battle systems can take from CRPG systems, not just D&D, but in the end I'm not sure if the extra complexity would benefit the games. JRPGs are in general more straightforward.

Adding complex layers on top would only really benefit the game if everything else was brought up to that level, enemies would need to be much more balanced, the game scope would have to be rich enough so the player has a reason to explore all these other class options. I mean take a look at games like Vagrant Story or even SO2 and VP/VP2. I think there are a lot borrowed gameplay ideas from CRPGs there. That's definitely a better direction imo, than taking the entire D&D system which is just too cumbersome and overcomplex for simple turn encounter based JRPGs.

Desiderus

duckroll said:
That's definitely a better direction imo, than taking the entire D&D system which is just too cumbersome and overcomplex for simple turn encounter based JRPGs.
I totally agree, I only mentioned negative effects in change for something positive. Using a powerful skill should be able to affect you in some way other then coming after an enemy's attack.

zenbot

duckroll said:

Haha, that is cruel! Best not to leave trying to escape to when your characters have low HP I guess :lol.

duckroll

Desiderus said:
I totally agree, I only mentioned negative effects in change for something positive. Using a powerful skill should be able to affect you in some way other then coming after an enemy's attack.

Yeah, that's one element you don't see in JRPGs often at all. Often the cost of skills are measured in MP or delay time, but having a temporary debuff for cooldown would definitely be a better option, more interesting too.

ethelred

duckroll said:
Yeah, that's one element you don't see in JRPGs often at all. Often the cost of skills are measured in MP or delay time, but having a temporary debuff for cooldown would definitely be a better option, more interesting too.

Hmmm... yeah. The closest thing I can think of to that is the temporary stat-down period in FFIII DS when you change jobs.

Edit: I guess the better comparison would be the Grandia series battle system, where there's a cost to the delay you incur when you try to use a powerful skill/spell -- you open yourself up to having the ability canceled and your turn lost.

Jinko said:
Surely adding TP would be an easier way to deal with that, obviously doesn't give you a negative stat change but balances the attacks out.

You really aren't paying attention to this conversation.

Jinko

Surely adding TP would be an easier way to deal with that, obviously doesn't give you a negative stat change but balances the attacks out.

BTW has there been anything confirmed regarding summons or avatars ?

Jinko said:

What the heck are you even talking about?

bh7812

Banned
I certainly agree, the battle music definitely has an "epic" sound to it. Sakaguchi was going for epic with this game from the beginning and so far at least there it looks like he's succeeded.

I've had the US version of LO pre-ordered since the very beginning of January, so I'll definitely be getting it in February. When I first heard of the game's general story line I was immediately intrigued. If they nail the story's execution, this game will be something else and from a story perspective VERY powerful. From what I've seen, it's at the total opposite end of the spectrum from Blue Dragon..much more mature, darker storyline that is. I enjoyed Blue Dragon very much personally. Anyhow, waiting with everyone else to see exactly how this game turns out. I really wish they hadn't delayed the US version 2 additional months but can't really do anything about it except wait.

Looking forward to this game :)

NeoUltima said:
The battle music is great!

Top Bottom