• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal: Head On Extra Twisted $19.99 Edition (Vids + screens)

Dante

It's nice to see PS2 getting so quality titles still.

That said.....Next gen Twisted metal online would make me all sorts of hot.

Reilly

I thought this was suppose to come out this fall?

Oh well, can't wait for this shit. It's been too long since I've played a new Twisted Metal (I don't own a PSP)

TM: Black is still one of my favorite PS2 games.

Cardon

Looks good but I would rather want a PSN/PS3 game instead. Would it be possible to put this up on the PS Store or would the emulation issues on the PS3 prevent that from happening?

I don't like how he says:

Man, it’s been so much fun to work on a new Twisted Metal again. I thought I was burnt out on the whole franchise but the second I sat down to design, it was like coming home

I really want a PS3 version.

tanod

when is my burrito
Livin_Lovin said:
Super meh. Graphics look tame. He could've done wonders with just a simple PSN Twisted Metal in 1080p

It's a PS2 game. If this has online play with 4+ players, I will be all over this game. TM: Black had online eventually and TM: Head On had online too, I thought.

The main thing that held TM: Black back for me multi-player wise was the limited selection of 4-player maps.

Firewire

Banned
Hey David, can you tell us what genre your new PS3 game will fall into?

Also awesome job on "Head On" its been along time & I'm eager to fire off some zoomies again!

tanod said:
It's a PS2 game. If this has online play with 4+ players, I will be all over this game. TM: Black had online eventually and TM: Head On had online too, I thought.

The main thing that held TM: Black back for me multi-player wise was the limited selection of 4-player maps.

I'm aware. But even for a PS2 game, I've seen open world games that look better. Online would be much appreciated, however, and some faults would be forgiven.

The game is an instant buy for this reason alone. Remade Paris level from TM2.

2086218429_706a9ffa86_b.jpg

Cravis

Looking forward to playing some of the levels from the cancelled TMB 2. Any word on new characters? Site is blocked here at work so I won't get a chance to see it until later tonight :(

tanod

when is my burrito
Rodeo Clown said:
Will this be a budget priced game or what?

I haven't seen much of anything come out and MSRP on PS2 for $50 since FFXII. $40 is the maximum I would expect it to sell for.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
Price has not been announced but we're all assuming it's between 29.99 and 19.99...it's a port of a PSP game with lots of added stuff so yeah, I don't think anyone is thinking of selling this for 49.99 or even 39.99. I can not see that happening...not our call, but we've always assumed we're talking a lower priced title on this one.

ascii42

tanod said:
I haven't seen much of anything come out and MSRP on PS2 for $50 since FFXII. $40 is the maximum I would expect it to sell for.
GoWII was $50 as well.
Honestly $40 is too much for this game, they pulled that with Dark Mirror as well. I hope $30 or less, especially if there is no online.

davidjaffe said:
Price has not been announced but we're all assuming it's between 29.99 and 19.99...it's a port of a PSP game with lots of added stuff so yeah, I don't think anyone is thinking of selling this for 49.99 or even 39.99. I can not see that happening...not our call, but we've always assumed we're talking a lower priced title on this one.

$20 is the sweet spot. SWEET SPOT.

I'm pretty excited about this game, it definitely looks like it will be fun and has some cool stuff in it. I'm curious if the TMB: Lost is a completely different game with different cars, etc. than Head On, or if it will all be the same game. I saw TMB: Sweet Tooth and Head On Sweet tooth in that video. I'm just hoping that lla cars will be able to play all maps. Guess we'll see.

other than that, I'm like everyone else and really want a brand new TM game that's playable online, nasty graphics, the whole 9. That would make me giggle like a school girl. Nothing but love, Mr. Jaffe!

not to be a suck-up here, but golly Mr. Jaffe, your games tend to rock pretty dang hard.

I spent hours upon hours on Twisted Metal Black, I'm rather looking forward to this. Thank you sir.

davidjaffe said:
Why don't you like how I said that? Do tell :)

Because I am a TM junkie, I drooled over the first Twisted Metal. I remember in those days it was such a draw that you could go anywhere on the map. That and Warhawk really introduced open world for me so the thought of you being burned out and not making a PS3 version makes me sad.

Jim

Looks like no online according to the just released fact sheet. :( Seriously disappointing since Black and Head On had great online play.

David, any chance you guys can squeeze it in before launch? :)

Publisher: Sony Computer Entertainment America Inc. (SCEA)
Developer: Eat Sleep Play
Genre: Car Combat
Players: Single-player, 2-player Split-screen

Developed by Eat, Sleep, Play, a newly formed company founded by David Jaffe, a former creative director for SCEA's Santa Monica Studios; and Scott Campbell, the founder of Incognito Entertainment, a dedicated development studio also under the SCEA Santa Monica Studios banner, Twisted Metal: Head-On: Extra Twisted Edition is set to crash onto the PlayStation 2 computer entertainment system in Spring 2008.

Featuring enhanced graphics and key gameplay features from the popular PSP (PlayStation Portable) title, Twisted Metal: Head-On: Extra Twisted Edition features four never before seen "Lost" levels that were built for the never-released Twisted Metal: Black sequel, plus an all-new never before seen Twisted Metal: Head- On level. Additionally, for the first time ever, fans will be able to take "Sweet Tooth" out of his ice cream truck and explore, on foot, an all new level filled with factoids about the Twisted Metal universe straight from the developers. Also, included with the game is an art booklet featuring never released concept art from the franchise.

Twisted Metal: Head-On: Extra Twisted Edition provides all the fast-paced vehicular combat and destruction that fans of the franchise have come to know and love. The latest installment in the multi-million selling franchise provides a variety of gameplay options, as gamers can go head-to-head or compete against the Artificial Intelligence (AI) and deliver the devastation as they strap themselves into one of 14 lethal machines on wheels equipped with machine guns, turbo boosts and special attacks unique to each vehicle.

Features:

Twisted Metal: Head-On

Modes of Play
Story Mode - Drivers choose their vehicle and progress through a series of arenas.
Challenge - Drivers choose their vehicle, arena, AI controlled enemies, then go off to battle.
Endurance - Drivers take on an endless onslaught of AI controlled opponents until the end.

Players - Single-player or 2-player split-screen.

Vehicles - Choose from different destructive vehicles. Each vehicle is armed with serious firepower, turbo boost and each with a unique devastating specialty attack.

Vehicles: Roadkill, Shadow, Mr. Grimm, Sweet Tooth, Thumper, Spectre, Twister, Outlaw, Grasshopper, WartHog, Axel.

Unlockable Vehicles: Mr. Slam, Crimson Fury, Hammerhead, Cousin Eddy, ATV, Dark Tooth, Tower Tooth.

Environments / Battlegrounds - Unleash mayhem in a variety of different levels, including: Paris, Egypt, Tokyo, and Los Angeles, plus a bonus level, exclusive to the PS2 version.

Weapons - Players can collect an arsenal of weaponry to deliver explosive attacks on opponent vehicles, including: homing, fire and power missiles, machine gun, ricochet disc, napalm, remote bomb and swarm missiles.

Upgrade Power-Ups - Players can finish off opponents and collect Upgrade Power-Ups to enhance vehicle and weapon performance.

Twisted Metal: Lost

Modes of Play
Story Mode - Drivers choose their vehicle and progress through a series of arenas.
Challenge - Drivers choose their vehicle, arena, AI controlled enemies, then go off to battle.
Endurance - Drivers take on an endless onslaught of AI controlled opponents until the end.

Players - Single-player or 2-player split-screen.

Vehicles - Reminisce with classic characters and vehicles from the Twisted Metal: Black universe.

Vehicles: Roadkill, Crazy 8, Mr. Grimm, Shadow, Brimstone, Axel, DarkSide, Outlaw, Sweet Tooth, Yellow Jacket, Junkyard Dog, Spectre, Manslaughter, Warthog.

Unlockable Vehicles: 12-pak (NEW), Gold Tooth (NEW).

Environments / Battlegrounds - 4 exclusive never before played levels from Twisted Metal: Black.

Draft

Really should have been a PSN game, I think.

edit: no online either? Why does this game even exist.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
jhferry said:
Because I am a TM junkie, I drooled over the first Twisted Metal. I remember in those days it was such a draw that you could go anywhere on the map. That and Warhawk really introduced open world for me so the thought of you being burned out and not making a PS3 version makes me sad.

There is no reason for you to be sad.

Firewire

Banned
M3wThr33 said:
Never played any Twisted Metal. Why is Sweet Tooth running around?

Seriously? Go find yourself a copy of Twisted Metal Black! Its one of my all time favorite games and it belongs in any gamers collection. I've spent countless hours playing it with friends, it never gets old.

M3wThr33

Banned
Jim said:
Looks like no online according to the just released fact sheet. :( Seriously disappointing since Black and Head On had great online play.

So, from what I learned about this game on WikiPedia, Black is a different universe than the first 2 (Which 3 and 4 are ignored since 989 made 'em) and this game is a final compilation of the best of both games? Sort of like a Double Deluxe Edition?
The trivia mentioned missing cutscenes due to them using the old name for the game (High Octane) so I figure the trailer's added FMV will be those.

tanod

when is my burrito
ascii42 said:
GoWII was $50 as well.
Honestly $40 is too much for this game, they pulled that with Dark Mirror as well. I hope $30 or less, especially if there is no online.

I forgot about that one (GoW). It was worth it though. :)

It tells you something about GoW2 that it came out in March and it's still in people's heads as a GOTY contender 9 months later.

ShowDog

Please let this support online. As far as I can tell from trying, Blacks online play got canceled.

If it is online, not supporting more than one player per console would be a major oversight. It's fun to sit down with a buddy and play some twisted metal, and playing splitscreen online would be perfect.

At the very least, I expect it to include bots in multiplayer gaming, something that crippled black.

If the game isn't online, it better be budget priced and support LAN play. I could see me and my buddies picking up 4 or 6 copies of the game and LAN'ing it up.

Again, splitscreen online or LAN support would be great, although it's probably too late for such feedback.

Edit: Wow, lots of info since I last updated thread. Reading now.

tanod

when is my burrito
Jim said:

PAIN fact sheet said it had online. :\

I'll probably get it, loved TM:Black though I don't know where it is now. :(

And I'll take split-screen co-op over online any day.

ShowDog

As far as I can tell, none of the features I feel are important were included in this game, one the creator calls "stuffed to the brim with bonus features." This is seriously disappointing. I can only figure you meant bonus artwork instead of actual game options David, unless you care to fill us in on more details that may have been left out in that release.

I seriously enjoy and respect your games, so don't think I'm hating, but it seems like you could have done better with this. Of course, the game isn't even out yet, so I'll reserve final judgement until then.

This is great news. Personally, I'd have liked a TM trilogy game with all levels and characters from the series, but this will do too. PS2 swan song.

Top Bottom