• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal: Head On Extra Twisted $19.99 Edition (Vids + screens)

Spectral Glider said:
This is great news. Personally, I'd have liked a TM trilogy game with all levels and characters from the series, but this will do too. PS2 swan song.

Haven't we been saying "PS2 swan song" for about a year now? :p

Xater

davidjaffe said:
There is no reason for you to be sad.

OMFG! TM ON PS3 = CONFIRMED! :D

Jaffe do you know if this will run with PS3 software emulation? I no longe rhave a PS2 :(

AndyPants

Maybe Jaffe and Company are using this as a refresher course before starting on a full fledged PS3 sequel. Thats they way I would like to think about it.

I want more news on their next PSN game though, CAC is awesome in multiplayer, like a simplified version of Twisted Metal.

And who is that in Jaffe's avatar?

AndyPants said:
Maybe Jaffe and Company are using this as a refresher course before starting on a full fledged PS3 sequel. Thats they way I would like to think about it.

I want more news on their next PSN game though, CAC is awesome in multiplayer, like a simplified version of Twisted Metal.

And who is that in Jaffe's avatar?

The lovely and talented Kate Beckinsale.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Man. TM2 was so fucking deep and awesome. Some of the best head-to-head gameplay I've ever experienced. I miss it.

I might have to pick this up, haven't played a PS2 game in forever, it was playing Twisted Metal on a kiosk at Sam's Club so many years ago that made me buy a PS2 in the first place.

tanod

when is my burrito
BuddhaRockstar said:
I might have to pick this up, haven't played a PS2 game in forever, it was playing Twisted Metal on a kiosk at Sam's Club so many years ago that made me buy a PS2 in the first place.

I like how about every 4 months or so, we have a new "PS2's swan song." In the last year and a half: Black, Okami/Bully, FFXII, GoW2, Persona 3, and now 'Twisted Metal: Head On: "Apply directly to the forehead" Collector's Edition' have all held the title as the last great PS2 game.

I like it. Keep the good games coming.

Doubledex

Banned
davidjaffe said:
Price has not been announced but we're all assuming it's between 29.99 and 19.99...it's a port of a PSP game with lots of added stuff so yeah, I don't think anyone is thinking of selling this for 49.99 or even 39.99. I can not see that happening...not our call, but we've always assumed we're talking a lower priced title on this one.
Jaffe, can you see all these TM fans out there (all gaming boards)?? Yes? So, what's the problem? This franchise has a lot of fans and they want a new one (on PS3! A REAL sequel) but you (you and/or SONY) do not make one? What 's the problem?? I do not get it! Instead of shitty sports games, SONY should spend the money for a new TM game. You can clearly see: This franchise is not dead. A lot of fans are waiting for it! SO WHAT IS YOU PROBLEM??? (SONY)

Jea Song

Did the right thing
Looks great! Hopfully will include some online play. Can't wait until a next gen twisted metal though. In fact..where are the next gen combat vechile games? And no full auto doesnt count?

Xater

Exarchos said:
Twisted Metal 2 needs a true sequel.

TWISTED METAL 2 2: "Only on Playstation 3."

NEED

Well I would liek so see a sequel to Black more. IMO the most awesome game in the whole series.

steve

Banned
twisted_cloud.jpg

Make it happen Jaffe.:D

Raziel

Man, TM is so few and far between these days, I'll take whatever I can get. TM was one of the coolest, most original franchises ever. It's a shame it kinda faded away after Black (though if that's the case, Black was an amazing send-off).

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
I'd pay $50 for it!

Been waiting for more PS2 TM loving for-freaking-ever! >_<!

Will all of the Black stages be in there or just those cut ones?

ShowDog

Is anyone else concerned that only 2 player splitscreen with no online or LAN play has been announced? How do you guys like to play TM? Single player?

dang i was just thinking the other day i should make a post inquiring about a new tm!

so is the game guaranteed to NOT have online play?

i don't give a shit if this is on ps2 or ps3, we just need online play. i still remember playing twisted metal black online when the ps2 network adapter launched (what's up Wasabi!) and it was the best experience for ps2 online (even to this day!). the game was MADE for multiplayer.

davidjaffe

The Fucking MAN.
AAK said:
twisted metal 2 was such a superb game, I hope this one gives back that great feeling.

I have NO clue if it will give you that feeling but here's what's interesting-at least to me :)

So HEAD ON has the thematic of TM2 (colors, stories,etc) but has MORE of the play of BLACK.

But the 4 LOST levels look more like BLACK but- to me- play more like TM2...or at least they were designed to (levels with more 'places' versus wide open spaces; less pickups per map so each one feels special and you memorize the locations and use that memory to strategize, slowed down weapons so players have a chance to play a little defense).

I don't know if anyone other that myself and a few others on the team will even NOTICE the differences but I'm so excited to get it out there so we can see if players actually can tell a difference between the two styles of play. We really wanted the LOST LEVELS to feel like old school TM2...so I hope we did good on that.

David

Crusade

It's just a PSP port? What is the point? I thought it was at least an all new game. If it's just a port, it should've been for PSN like Wipeout HD

Trevelyan

Banned
Probably the best news I've heard all year. All I need now is a proper sequel on PS3 and I can die a happy man. Thanks Jaffe!

tanod

when is my burrito
AdmiralViscen said:
Yes. Have you played 3 and 4, then Small Brawl coming out on PS1 for no reason, then this half-assed repackaging coming too late on PS2?

3 and 4 and Small Brawl were not made by the same people who did 1, 2 and Black.

The vast difference in quality makes that easily apparent.

tanod said:
3 and 4 and Small Brawl were not made by the same people who did 1, 2 and Black.

Which is why I said Sony fucked up the series and not Jaffe? Hello?

Jerking a series between excellent and shitty dev houses and living and dying consoles for the last 8 or 9 years has been a mess. It's even worse than the fiasco that is, say, Resident Evil.

Twisted Metal should have remained a tentpole series for every PlayStation. They had the right idea with Black, then they left it alone for years, then had a home run with Head On, now they're doing a port on a crusty console. The series deserves better.

davidjaffe said:
I have NO clue if it will give you that feeling but here's what's interesting-at least to me :)

So HEAD ON has the thematic of TM2 (colors, stories,etc) but has MORE of the play of BLACK.

But the 4 LOST levels look more like BLACK but- to me- play more like TM2...or at least they were designed to (levels with more 'places' versus wide open spaces; less pickups per map so each one feels special and you memorize the locations and use that memory to strategize, slowed down weapons so players have a chance to play a little defense).

I don't know if anyone other that myself and a few others on the team will even NOTICE the differences but I'm so excited to get it out there so we can see if players actually can tell a difference between the two styles of play. We really wanted the LOST LEVELS to feel like old school TM2...so I hope we did good on that.

David

Pretty cool for what it is, come in under $30 please.

chakoo

Banned
Hey Jaffe,
Any chance the additions could be thrown into the PSP version and it be re-released on the PSP PSN?

If so, my credit card is ready and waiting. :)

Doel

Definitely buying it, but can't help feel that it would be even more awesome if Jaffe was working on a PS3 Twisted Metal. It REALLY needs to happen.

God I played black online so much it was ridiculous. It was free for people who bought the early ps2 online adapters I dont think there was ever a retail release of Black. I remember when everyone found out that you could actually chat online by inputing a code:lol It was crazy the game went from being a 9 to 11 overnight. Awesome game.

ascii42

tanod said:

Actually Small Brawl was made by Incog, after they did Black, interestingly enough.

llTll

Banned
David.

i have 2 questions. would be great if you can answer them.

1- this Twisted Metal game, is for PS2. however, some of us here have the 40Gig PS3 [ and more users in the future will be owners of 40Gig version by the time this game comes out ] so is there a chance for this game to be a PSN title even if its not HD ? i do have 60gig model so its not me who is worried about it. even tho i like the idea of the game being in the hard disk more than having the game on DVD.

2- regarding Twisted Metal on PS3. you probably cant say any word on release date or developing process, but is it possible to know at least if its under developments? " i know that you said " there is no reason to be sad " in reply to TM on PS3. but that isnt confirmation ;), more like feeling sorry for the poor dude :lol "

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Hmm, just watched the trailer and am interested in playing it, but I noticed it was being displayed in 4:3. I'm hoping a 16:9 aspect ratio is offered as 1) the original PSP game was 16:9 and 2) it's a game being released in 2008 and many people are using 16:9 displays.

jgkspsx

There's nothing wrong with Small Brawl (except the graphics and the bugs :p). It's Twisted Metal: Micro Machines edition. Levels are simple but fun and funny. It's a weird spinoff, no doubt, but I've always liked it. Very rushed and tossed off, but it was a budget title - think of it as a PSN game or something. 3 and 4 do suck, though.

The Paris level remake is in the PSP version, which has online play. Great level designs all around. I'm excited to see it on the big screen, though.

The unused TM1 ending videos were released in the second(?) issue of the Playstation Underground CD magazine. It sucks that Sony killed that off.

Who owns the rights to Critical Depth and Rogue Trip? Rogue Trip was a little "eh" but I didn't spend much time with it. It didn't get good reviews at the time, but Critical Depth is very much an underwater smashup of Warhawk and TM2, with great level designs. If you can adjust to the slower speed, it's fantastic.

3rd person clowning?! WTF.

P.S. Outwars followup on PSN, Jaffe and Campbell!

Top Bottom