• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal: Head On Extra Twisted $19.99 Edition (Vids + screens)

Cravis

Preordered from Amazon. Did 2 day Prime shipping. Should have it Friday. I'm stoked. I loved Head On on the PSP but the controls did not translate well to it. I missed the extra L and R buttons for switching weapons.

bryehn

Checking my local Wal-Mart in the next couple hours. They usually have Sony games for sle on the street date. Been a long time since I played a Twisted Metal game, but that 20 buck package is too much to resist.

If I do manage to get it, I'll thoroughly rip apart the disc contents looking for secret stuff...

DeadCell

Gamepro said:
In a recent interview conducted by GamePro Senior Editor Sid Shuman, David Jaffe told us that a hint to the Eat, Play, Sleep's next game could be found hidden somewhere inside TM:HO:ETE. We put review Casey Lynch on the case and he found a few possible candidates that seemed likely. However, he din't find anything concrete, so he won't try to guess what those mad scientists have up their sleeves. However, Casey conjectures that super heroes might figure into things somehow, someway. Intriguing, isn't it?
http://www.gamepro.com/sony/ps2/games/reviews/160008.shtml

Take that for what it's worth... which isn't much.

DeadCell

I somehow doubt that their next game will have anything to do with super heroes, well... at least I hope not. Anyways, what I do know is that I'll be spending all night tomorrow hunting for it. :)

Madman

DeadCell said:
I somehow doubt that their next game will have anything to do with super heroes, well... at least I hope not. Anyways, what I do know is that I'll be spending all night tomorrow hunting for it. :)
Things in TM 2 were next to impossible to find(having to napalm a certain painting for instance). Good luck.

A super hero game would be cool with me.

DeadCell

Madman said:
Things in TM 2 were next to impossible to find(having to napalm a certain painting for instance). Good luck.
Oh don't worry about me, I've been there since the beginning and I know of all the characteristics when it comes to hidden things in a Twisted Metal game.

I never said it would be easy but it should be a lot of fun, like being a kid again. :D

Concept17

Going to pick this up asap tomorow and start digging for the hint.

Cannot wait to play this game.

Still crossing my fingers for a ps3 twisted metal... but who knows. (or a nextgen critical depth :D )

Rallyhawk

Concept17 said:

Still crossing my fingers for a ps3 twisted metal... but who knows. (or a nextgen critical depth :D )

DeadCell

Concept17 said:

Wow, and I thought I was the only one that liked Critical Depth. *wipes away a tear*

Add Jet Moto, Rogue Trip, and Streak to that list and I'm all for it. :D

Singletrac <3

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I got some days ago, and I'm not crazy about it - the controls are way too loosey goosey. And fwiw, there is nothing on or in the booklets that reveal a next-gen TM as many thought they would.

Concept17

AlphaSnake said:
I got some days ago, and I'm not crazy about it - the controls are way too loosey goosey. And fwiw, there is nothing on or in the booklets that reveal a next-gen TM as many thought they would.

I believe he mentioned it was hinted IN the game... not the booklet. Also, there IS a hint somewhere, as Jaffe mentioned it multiple times now.

And hell yes to Rogue Trip.

Ugh, so many great games that generation.

Oneself

Wow, and I thought I was the only one that liked Streak. *wipes away a tear*

:lol

..... a next gen Jet Moto would be so nice...

Jim

I think it plays great, and just as I'd expect it to, and actually seems a little on the easy side (so far). Lots of stuff to unlock.

Head-On looks like an upscaled PSP game with a few better textures and particle effects to go with the solid 60fps. Can't figure out why Head-On doesn't have a widescreen option, since the PSP version was obviously native 16x9.

Really needs online, but for $19, I wouldn't have expected it.

I was wondering, wouldn't it be possible for them to piggyback on the PSP online servers? :\

Anyhow - SECRET HAD BETTER BE NEW WAR OF THE MONSTERS!

But since you jerks keep forgetting about WotM I hope it's a Downhill Domination 2. >:|

Oneself

Jim said:
I think it plays great, and just as I'd expect it to, and actually seems a little on the easy side (so far). Lots of stuff to unlock.

Head-On looks like an upscaled PSP game with a few better textures and particle effects to go with the solid 60fps. Can't figure out why Head-On doesn't have a widescreen option, since the PSP version was obviously native 16x9.

Really needs online, but for $19, I wouldn't have expected it.

Fuck. Someone told me it was 16:9 pro scan.

Jim

Oneself said:
Fuck. Someone told me it was 16:9 pro scan.

There aren't any video options that I could find... and I've looked. Looks great upscaled on the PS3 (60GB) though.

Doel

No 16:9 or Pro-scan at this point in the PS2's life is pretty ridiculous imo. And like you said, it's a port from the PSP version (with obviously a lot more stuff), and since the PSP is 16:9 it makes no sense that the PS2 version isn't.

Ah well. It's only $19 and since I'm a huge fan I'll pick it up. I just wish I could take advantage of my TV and play it in the best way possible.

Kolgar

I'm debating. Twenty bones is a great price, but I would have liked:

1) Online play
2) 16:9 presentation
3) Better graphics overall

Still, I loved the original TM and TM2 and this might satisfy my fix for some quick, local multiplayer action.

Just bought this and tried to redeem the code for the soundtrack and it told me that my code is invalid. Anyone else have this problem? Pretty weak...

Cruzader

Banned
Kolgar said:
I'm debating. Twenty bones is a great price, but I would have liked:

1) Online play
2) 16:9 presentation
3) Better graphics overall

Still, I loved the original TM and TM2 and this might satisfy my fix for some quick, local multiplayer action.

The hell is wrong with you guys? A game like this for 20 bucks with all those goodies!! Damn some of you are hard to please.

Also that guy that said he got it a couple of days ago...WTF, it just came out like a day ago.

Anyways keep searching guys, its gotta be there. I remember War of the Monster had a secret character(skin) that you would get if you only had beat TMB with all the characters and a save of it.

DeadCell

Oneself said:
Wow, and I thought I was the only one that liked Streak. *wipes away a tear*

:lol

..... a next gen Jet Moto would be so nice...
Totally underrated game, I loved it to death. This gen needs more hoverboard/hoverbike racing games... and no, I don't mean Sonic Riders. *shudders*

Anyways, I'm off in an hour or so to go pick up my copy from Futureshop, can't wait!

VonGak!

Banned
Draft said:
Really should have been a PSN game, I think.

edit: no online either? Why does this game even exist.

And where should the financing come from? PS2 is a much more secure investment than PSN.
Please do keep in mind that Jaffe and the rest of the studio are financing big parts of the game by them self, not forgetting it's re-using a lot of old PSP/PS2 assets.

This Twisted Metal is basically there to generate financing for EatAndSleep's next title.

For online, it would be a waste of time and money on the PS2, resources which could be put into their next two titles for PSP and perhaps PSN. Unless you'd like those two titles to be postponed so the PS2 version could get online.

Oneself

Ok guys, I've been playing for an hour and it's amazing. The Carnival stage is easily one of the best stages in the history of the series. I'm going through the sweet tooth on foot part and there are War of the Monsters and Downhill Domination arcade cabinets!:D

Me wants a PS3 version of Downhill Domination. This game was, and still is, a blast! I'll go back to it now.

Cruzader

Banned
VonGak! said:
And where should the financing come from? PS2 is a much more secure investment than PSN.
Please do keep in mind that Jaffe and the rest of the studio are financing big parts of the game by them self, not forgetting it's re-using a lot of old PSP/PS2 assets.

This Twisted Metal is basically there to generate financing for EatAndSleep's next title.

For online, it would be a waste of time and money on the PS2, resources which could be put into their next two titles for PSP and perhaps PSN. Unless you'd like those two titles to be postponed so the PS2 version could get online.

Yes that is exactly what i was thinking.

If you want to play online really bad, go play the PSP version. The TMB2 unreleased levels are good enough for me to buy. That and all the other goodies such as the documentary.

Cruzader

Banned
Oneself said:
Ok guys, I've been playing for an hour and it's amazing. The Carnival stage is easily one of the best stages in the history of the series. I'm going through the sweet tooth on foot part and there are War of the Monsters and Downhill Domination arcade cabinets!:D

Me wants a PS3 version of Downhill Domination. This game was, and still is, a blast! I'll go back to it now.

Please keep searching for any hints of the new game/project!!

Concept17

Just picked this up awhile ago... managed the run through the Sweet Tour.

Good stuff in there regarding the TM universe... very interesting.

There were NO hints in the Sweet Tour, so it must be placed somewhere else.

I also managed to read the prologue to the lost levels... pretty interesting regarding the lost members of the team. I unfortunatly had to head back to class before I could play, but it did say if you beat the Lost levels on Hard you get to see the full letter.

Plan on playing it to death later tonight, and all this week... gonna be digging for that hint.

my guess is the hint is built into one of the levels, like behind a painting or something random

Concept17

Oneself said:

Ahh I didn't even think to look around some of those rooms, was in too much of a hurry... guess I'll go back later on.

Kolgar

g35twinturbo said:
I got the game today :)

I will be playing it tonight and take pics if people want any

Yeah, sure! I'm really on the fence with this one... I want to want it, but I'm afraid I've been spoiled enough by next-gen shininess that an upscaled PSP port will gouge my eyes out.

ntb825

Picked it up today.

Don't know if this has been mentioned yet, but the back of the manual is NOT a TM PS3 ad. It's actually the guide to "Twisted Metal: Lost", or the lost Twisted Metal: Harbor City ("TMB 2") levels and it's upside down so that it seems like it is it's "own" manual.

DeadCell

I absolutely love it, I feel like a kid again.

The 60 FPS makes a world of difference, it looks a lot better than I thought it was going to look.

Thank you Jaffe and the team over at Eat, Sleep, Play... this feels like the real Twisted Metal 3, and it totally reminds me of why I fell in love with this series in the first place.

Great first effort guys, keep it up!

needlesmcgirk said:
Just bought this and tried to redeem the code for the soundtrack and it told me that my code is invalid. Anyone else have this problem? Pretty weak...

It's downloading for me as I compose this. 232.1MB.

Give it another go.

ntb825

Here we go.

If you watch the documentary on the disc (The Dark Past), numbers flash on the screen at various points.

The first time (that I noticed) is near the beginning of the talk about the Paris level from TM2. When Scott Campbell (Red shirt) is on screen, a set of numbers flashes next to his head. The first number appears to be 13, although it flashes so quickly that I couldn't make it out.

The next time that I noticed was after the TM2 talk, they are discussing when the team disbanded and more numbers flash VERY quickly next to his head. It happened at least 3 more times after that.

From what I could tell, all of the numbers were small.

Perhaps you have to get the order the numbers go in, and select the facts from the Sweet Tour in that order to unlock the big secret that has been hinted out?

Perhaps a wild goose chase, but oh well. gl hf :lol

needlesmcgirk said:
Yup, had the very same problem until I realized:

Enter the code as you see it, meaning like this 1a23-4b56-7c89-1d23, dashes and all.

ntb825

Well, there is already a meaty discussion on Gamefaqs (lolz) about the code.

The code is 13 05 20 01 12, and if you take the letters of that and spell it, it spells Metal.

ntb825

Well, if you beat TM: Lost on Hard, this is the letter it gives you -

We are dissapointed to hear of your decision
To keep the world from seeing the last
Of our work ...We Beg of You...
Show them all what we have done...
Show them our last earthly deeds
...If you doubt our existence look to the
Dark past for proof that we are who we say
For in the dark past you will find proof
That we know what the future will bring...

And do not forget...
The truth lies in the greenery of Paris...
...To the left the truth is revealed...
This is why we have come back...
...To let you know what awaits...

Madman

Cruzader said:
Yes that is exactly what i was thinking.

If you want to play online really bad, go play the PSP version. The TMB2 unreleased levels are good enough for me to buy. That and all the other goodies such as the documentary.
It's a 20 dollar game. Anyone bitching about content and value is looney.

Who is going to make the official thread?

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Damn, I am going to purchase this game once it hits Target. I really feel lazy and don't want to drive to my local Gamestop or order from the internet.

ntb825 said:
Well, if you beat TM: Lost on Hard, this is the letter it gives you -

We are dissapointed to hear of your decision
To keep the world from seeing the last
Of our work ...We Beg of You...
Show them all what we have done...
Show them our last earthly deeds
...If you doubt our existence look to the
Dark past for proof that we are who we say
For in the dark past you will find proof
That we know what the future will bring...

And do not forget...
The truth lies in the greenery of Paris...
...To the left the truth is revealed...
This is why we have come back...
...To let you know what awaits...
Hype level rising.

ntb825

ok wait, so did members of that team actually die?

If you play TM Lost, it actually says they got some cryptic letter like 2 years after they died telling them to release their work, and it was signed by the dead team members?

Is this a gimmick of some kind or are they just sick?

Top Bottom