• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Twisted Metal: Head On Extra Twisted $19.99 Edition (Vids + screens)

ntb825 said:
ok wait, so did members of that team actually die?

If you play TM Lost, it actually says they got some cryptic letter like 2 years after they died telling them to release their work, and it was signed by the dead team members?

Is this a gimmick of some kind or are they just sick?
Who knows, but someone needs to explore the Paris level ASAP!

ntb825

ok, so the super gumshoes at Gamefaqs have cracked the code from the Dark Past video on the disc.

The code is displayed with random numbers throughout the video. If you put the numbers together, and match them to their alphabetic cousins, you get -

Twisted Metal is on PSTHREE

let's all flip shit now.

Cravis

ntb825 said:
ok, so the super gumshoes at Gamefaqs have cracked the code from the Dark Past video on the disc.

The code is displayed with random numbers throughout the video. If you put the numbers together, and match them to their alphabetic cousins, you get -

let's all flip shit now.
Woohoo!!! Just picked up a PS3 this past weekend. Glad to hear that!!

Can't wait to get my copy. Will be here Friday.

Struct09

I can confirm that this game does NOT work with the 80GB PS3 =/

Freezes on the first FMV for Twisted Metal: Head On

ntb825 said:

let's all flip shit now.
Oh Emm Gee

BeEatNU

WORLDSTAAAAAAR
Struct09 said:
I can confirm that this game does NOT work with the 80GB PS3 =/

Freezes on the first FMV for Twisted Metal: Head On

can you skip it? I have a 60GB. Gonna play it in a bit after DMC4

DeadCell

ntb825 said:

let's all flip shit now.
HOLY FUCKING SHIT FUCK!?!

NO OTHER POST IN HISTORY REQUIRES FULL ON CAPS LOCK LIKE THIS ONE DOES... HOLY SHIT.

I love you Eat, Sleep, Play. <3

Have my babies?

DeadCell

Thank you guys, seriously.

Head On was the reason I bought a PSP at launch, and the hopes of another Twisted Metal was what drove me to buy a PS3 as well.

Struct09

g35twinturbo said:
can you skip it? I have a 60GB. Gonna play it in a bit after DMC4

Yeah, turns out you can skip it. Other graphical glitches show up, but it plays.

I'll probably stick to playing it on my PS2.

DeadCell said:
Thank you guys, seriously.

Head On was the reason I bought a PSP at launch, and the hopes of another Twisted Metal was what drove me to buy a PS3 as well.
I know how you feel, TM1 was one of my first PS1 games, and TM:B was one of my first PS2 games. I love TM.:D

batbeg

Hey cool if true. Not that I'm surprised, I always imagined Twisted Metal would be coming to PS3 somewhere down the line.

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
they should steal ideas from burnout paradise for their next game. some insanely dense, developed hub city would make a lot of sense for twisted metal.

beelzebozo said:
they should steal ideas from burnout paradise for their next game. some insanely dense, developed hub city would make a lot of sense for twisted metal.

I don't know about that. I've imagined the PS3 TM to be like TM2 x10. TM2 introduced destructible environments and TM PS3 should take it even further where you can blow up nearly everything, although make it where you can actually have building fall collapse on top of your opponents. I don't know if something like that would be possible with an open world and TM's gameplay.

twistedmetalonps3.jpg

:D :D :D :D :D :D

Dante

ntb825 said:

let's all flip shit now.

FUCK YES :D

Madman

beelzebozo said:
TM: Harbor City (Black 2/Lost) was going to be in a free roaming city. :(

beelzebozo

Jealous Bastard
i'm normally the anti-free roaming city, sandbox guy, but paradise made me a believer. different areas uniquely themed to each character could be really rad.

Concept17

DeadCell said:
HOLY FUCKING SHIT FUCK!?!

NO OTHER POST IN HISTORY REQUIRES FULL ON CAPS LOCK LIKE THIS ONE DOES... HOLY SHIT.

I love you Eat, Sleep, Play. <3

Have my babies?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats really all I can muster. I am so f'ing excited!

I just watched the video too, and kept wondering wtf kept popping up.

yayayayayayay

Concept17

beelzebozo said:
i'm normally the anti-free roaming city, sandbox guy, but paradise made me a believer. different areas uniquely themed to each character could be really rad.

Yeah, it could work well with TM, if done right.

Theres really so many things they could do with the series.

Wollan

Okay, okay.. hold your horses. 'Someone at Gamefaqs..'

Someone here try to follow their guide for how to do it before cheering up.

ntb825

Wollan said:
Okay, okay.. hold your horses. 'Someone at Gamefaqs..'

Someone here try to follow their guide for how to do it before cheering up.
I already did, it matches up from what I can tell.

And it seems the full code is -

"Twisted Metal is coming on PSThree"

beelzebozo said:
I love Burnout Paradise, greatest BO to date!

Having said that, I'm still hoping they won't take the sandbox route. Destructive environments a la TM2 will look a lot more next gen-erish IMHO.

I mean, remember the "Antarctica: The Drop Zone" level in TM2? Who in their right minds doesn't want to see a next-gen version of that!?

Wollan

ESP making a Twisted Metal PS3 game is so predictable it's unpredictable. I wouldn't have believed so to be honest.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Wollan said:
ESP making a Twisted Metal PS3 game is so predictable it's unpredictable. I wouldn't have believed so to be honest.
Wow... An to think Jafee mentioned that the next title would be hidden be on this game on the Playstation nation podcast. I thought we were going to get a hint but it seems it truly confirms it.

A thread should be made this is HUGE!!!

Concept17

ntb825 said:
Well, if you beat TM: Lost on Hard, this is the letter it gives you -

We are dissapointed to hear of your decision
To keep the world from seeing the last
Of our work ...We Beg of You...
Show them all what we have done...
Show them our last earthly deeds
...If you doubt our existence look to the
Dark past for proof that we are who we say
For in the dark past you will find proof
That we know what the future will bring...

And do not forget...
The truth lies in the greenery of Paris...
...To the left the truth is revealed...
This is why we have come back...
...To let you know what awaits...

Also got this a bit ago... I love it.

Seems to be more of an analogy in that the devs are all back together working on a new TM. Nice way to twist that in.

Ohhhh I can't wait!

DeadCell

With all the talk about how much they thought about changing the formula it was almost a given that they'd be revisiting the TM franchise... but we needed confirmation, and confirmation is what we got.

The extras in (takes a deap breath) TMHOETE remind me of resident evil 1.5, except we have a developer that is willing to give us the chance to roam around in the forbidden areas... but with a purpose... which is awesome.

sweet titties yes! twisted metal 3 on ps3 is going to be awesome. new graphics, new vehicles, new everything, and online play! take my monies now jaffe

Elbrain

Suckin' dicks since '66
Well I will bring the champagne out and fucking start celebration if this is fucking true! FUCK! My mind has been blown I want a Sequel To Twisted Metal Black So badly!

DMczaf

FrenchMovieTheme said:
sweet titties yes! twisted metal 3 on ps3 is going to be awesome. new graphics, new vehicles, new everything, and online play! take my monies now jaffe

Do I have to destroy you in Twisted Metal too? Aren't you tired of losing to me!?

DeadCell

Jag22 said:
Graphically is the game on par with Twisted Metal Black?
Depends.

Head On is on par, but has a more broad colour palette making it more pleasing on the eyes. While the black 2 stages look almost as good as black, the textures aren't quite as good.. but the lighting effects/particle effects are better.

Oneself

Jag22 said:
Graphically is the game on par with Twisted Metal Black?

Not really.... the Lost levels are close but Black looks better.

By the way, I hope TM on PS3 will keep the serious look of Black... I don't want the brown/gray/green color palette but I really, really like the setting and stories of TM:black.

Head On is fun but it feels "cheap" (low budget) and some levels aren't really good (like the shitty football stadium with a shitty band playing shitty music). I'm enjoying the Lost levels more than Head On right now and having played the PSP version, I guess they've put much more work on Lost than on the Head On port.

Kolgar

I nearly ordered this but chickened out at the last minute.

Maybe today.

I'll tell you what, I'd MUCH rather see the PS3 game be more like the original Twisted Metal. Graphically, it seemed the devs were trying to create fairly "realistic" settings, and that's one of the reasons I loved it.

It wasn't all "oh, we're dark and dreary, SCARY like a SERIAL KILLER!!!1" but rather, you felt like part of a motley crew of rocket-launching miscreants invading real parks, cities, and suburbs.

I LOVED that vibe. It was neither cartoony nor contrived (like Black--ugh!), and I hope they bring it back.

I have to admit, I'm having a hard time controling this game. Right stick for gas and left stick for stearing is the complete opposit for moving around in FPS and most other titles. Wish there was a way to change this. Other than that the game is fun, I just can't get used to the controls!

Concept17

needlesmcgirk said:
I have to admit, I'm having a hard time controling this game. Right stick for gas and left stick for stearing is the complete opposit for moving around in FPS and most other titles. Wish there was a way to change this. Other than that the game is fun, I just can't get used to the controls!

I use square for gas... x for handbrake, circle for brake.

Also, use the d-pad for steering, the gameplay was built around it, especially for abilities like freeze.

Kolgar said:
I nearly ordered this but chickened out at the last minute.

Maybe today.

I'll tell you what, I'd MUCH rather see the PS3 game be more like the original Twisted Metal. Graphically, it seemed the devs were trying to create fairly "realistic" settings, and that's one of the reasons I loved it.

It wasn't all "oh, we're dark and dreary, SCARY like a SERIAL KILLER!!!1" but rather, you felt like part of a motley crew of rocket-launching miscreants invading real parks, cities, and suburbs.

I LOVED that vibe. It was neither cartoony nor contrived (like Black--ugh!), and I hope they bring it back.

I agree, and Jaffe admits in the interview that Black was too mired in the "story", who gives a damn, and the game play suffered because of it.

Twisted Metal 2 had much better level design and overall was much more fun than Silent Hill: The Road Trip.

Anybody playing Twisted Metal for story needs to be lobotomized.

Concept17 said:
I use square for gas... x for handbrake, circle for brake.

Also, use the d-pad for steering, the gameplay was built around it, especially for abilities like freeze.

I'm such and old skool TM2 junkie that I still play the games with dpad up for gas and down for reverse. No matter how hard I try, I can't change it. The only thing that drives me nuts is I keep hitting the L2 for tight turn and wind up launching my weapon instead.

I'm generally anti-free roaming too, and I wasn't impressed with Paradise. I dunno, it's just me I guess, but I don't like it for racing games. When I'm in racing mode, that's what I want to do, not drive around kind of aimlessly looking for stuff. But in the TM universe, it makes sense to me because you're not racing, the idea is destruction and battle. And it would seem to me the more places that you can drive to yourself with more things to destroy along the way the better. Also, I'd like to see environmental objects/destruction deal damage to the other characters.

I only played Head On for an hour or so last night, so I can't give a full impression on it yet. Initially, I'm a little underwhelmed as my first thought is how much better it must look on the small screen. And, as I was/am a Thumper fan, I'm not thrilled with how they changed the special.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Does this game happen to run at 60 fps like Black? Head On looked great on PSP, but at only 30 fps, it felt quite a bit worse than Black did.

Anybody else have a hard time with the controls? To me its weird driving with the right stick and steering with the left stick. I wish you could also go forward and backwards with the left stick like you could in black. Anyone else?

Doel

I can't figure out where the 16 digit code for the soundtrack is.

It better be in the Canadian version.

Doel said:
I can't figure out where the 16 digit code for the soundtrack is.

It better be in the Canadian version.

DeadCell confirmed in another thread Canadia gets no soundtrack/artbook. And that's what you get for having to translate game manuals into 50 different languages! :p

Admiral Viscen got me to look further into this game; this thread got me to decide that I'm going to buy it.

I just can't wait for TM3 on the PS3. I really hope they go back to TM1-TM2 style. I want to go through suburbia and blow shit up rather than play through an already dark, desolate, and destroyed area.

Bring back Hong Kong! Fuck, I want a full remake of TM2. FUCKKKKKKKKKKK I can't wait to play TM again.

Oneself

It's kinda lame that we can read on the back of the Canadian box:

detailed artbook
Free soundtrack download
etc.

Sony could probably give us something since it's false publicity.

Top Bottom