• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Marvel Studios announces next 4 films

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blader

From Superhero Hype:

Marvel Entertainment released their first quarter report to its shareholders this morning to coincide with the announcement about the success this past weekend of Marvel Studios' first production Iron Man, which grossed an estimated $100.7 million domestically and over $200 million worldwide. The announcement included an update of Marvel Studios' feature film slate with the already-rumored Iron Man 2 announced for a release on April 30, 2010, followed by three more movies for the summers of '10 and '11. Matthew Vaughn's Thor is set for a release on June 4, 2010, and The First Avenger: Captain America (the working title) will kick off the summer of 2011 on May 6, followed by the highly-anticipated and foreshadowed The Avengers scheduled for July 2011. (Edgar Wright'sAnt-Man is also listed as being in development with no release date set.)

With that in mind, one can start expecting a lot more announcements in the coming months about creative teams and casting for those movies including who might direct the Captain America and Avengers movies. (Whomever plays Steve Rogers AKA Captain America presumably will be making two movies at once.)

ComingSoon.net had something new to add:

In a conference call this morning, Marvel Studios' David Maisel said that Iron Man 2 will be used to introduce Thor. Regarding more "Hulk" movies, Maisel said "We definitely plan on continuing." He added that development continues on Spider-Man 4. "I can't give any other updates other than to say it's in development and everybody's excited about 'Spider-Man 4,'" he said.

Those two years are going to be pretty crowded with superhero movies.

2010: Iron Man 2, Thor, Superman: Man of Steel, Spider-Man 4 (tentative)
2011: Captain America, The Avengers, Nolan's Batman 3

Holy crap!!

Captain America? FUCK YES.
With Marvel dong their own movies and being very picky, I'm DYING to see this done right finally!
Make it a 2 parter with the first movie being all in WW2 and ending with him hitting the water....
DROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL

.....or make it all in WW2 with it leading right into the Avengers movie.

AniHawk

God damn.

What the hell is DC doing? They have Batman and Superman. And then there was supposed to be a Wonder Woman movie, and a Superman/Batman movie. And a Justice League movie. I guess Watchmen too, but I don't know if that counts.

I still don't see how they can make Thor feasible in the same world as Iron Man and Captain America. He's just such an outlandish character that I don't know that audiences would buy him as an Avenger.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
ratcliffja said:
I still don't see how they can make Thor feasible in the same world as Iron Man and Captain America. He's just such an outlandish character that I don't know that audiences would buy him as an Avenger.

Me don't care, me just wanna see some Thor! Of course I won't be as happy if they do Thor as the Ultimates Thor where people aren't sure til the end whether he's a god, or just crazy.... <sigh> dammit why do I now think they will probably go that route to make the character fit more in the movie/real world reality.....

AniHawk said:
God damn.

What the hell is DC doing? They have Batman and Superman. And then there was supposed to be a Wonder Woman movie, and a Superman/Batman movie. And a Justice League movie. I guess Watchmen too, but I don't know if that counts.

I think you just answered your own question. They have Batman and Superman. That's pretty much it.

winnarps

Interesting how they're dealing with the Avengers movies like that. It's like an introduction a a few months before?

Rorschach

What happened to the Captain Marvel movie?

DarienA said:
Me don't care, me just wanna see some Thor! Of course I won't be as happy if they do Thor as the Ultimates Thor where people aren't sure til the end whether he's a god, or just crazy.... <sigh> dammit why do I now think they will probably go that route to make the character fit more in the movie/real world reality.....
It will probably be worse than that.

Blader

DarienA said:

They won't. Matthew Vaughn's idea for Thor is to basically do it as a big LotR fantasy epic, with the whole thing being set in Asgard. It's very much the mythological Thor.

DarienA

Blader5489 said:
They won't. Matthew Vaughn's idea for Thor is to basically do it as a big LotR fantasy epic, with the whole thing being set in Asgard. It's very much the mythological Thor.

WTF? This sounds like early Thor before he was banished to Midgard... hmm wonder if the movie will end with his banishment... I don't know how I feel about that...

DarienA

Defuser said:
Hi I'm a Marvel and I'm a DC...

Come to think of it,why isn't there a movie for Green Lantern?

Seems an obvious choice doesn't it?

duckroll

I'm really digging this Marvel Studios thing. Iron Man was kickass, and if the rest of the moves are as faithful to the comic flavors of the source material while getting good directors and actors on board then it should be pretty awesome. If they play their cards right building up to the Avengers movie, that opening could be HUGE.

Cheebs

I doubt Spidey 4 will make it in time.

So Avengers after Iron Man II eh? I thought they would wait till Iron Man 3

What's in 2009 other than Wolverine?

borghe

Loves the Greater Toronto Area
BenjaminBirdie said:
I think you just answered your own question. They have Batman and Superman. That's pretty much it.
You mean in production? Yeah, that's such a shame... they have easily the stable of characters marvel does. I would LOVE LOVE LOVE to see Green Lantern, Metal Men, LOSH, Flash, WW, or JSA movies, not to mention the RIPE newer properties not even touched, like more of Vertigo (including the two obvious ones), Manhunter, Checkmate, etc.

I guess that's the difference between Warner and Marvel. Warner wants to cull the guaranteed hits from DC (aka the trinity). Marvel will throw anything at the wall and see what sticks. Sure that gives us Ghost Rider and the average or so Fantastic Fours, but it also gives us Spider-Man, X-Men, and Iron Man. Overall a winning situation. Hopefully Warner takes lead from the new Marvel Studios and gets on the ball.

DarienA said:
Seems an obvious choice doesn't it?
No shit. They could even do the ultimate no brainer, setup an origin movie for the character and mythos, and then head right into the Sinestro Corps Wars.

Cardon

Nice to see that Thor is getting off the ground somewhat. I'm pretty interested to see what Vaughn will do with it.

pollo

Banned
=D this makes me so happy.

Marvel <3

DC <3

more plz. just don't make anymore spiderman movies, and I'll be happy.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
If they are as awesome as Ironman, I shall be there. I'm still wondering how they would do an avengers movie. Since...wouldn't it be pretty pricey to get all those stars in the same movie now?:lol

AniHawk

Without Marvel doing all these superhero flicks, I wonder where Hollywood would've gone for big summer movies this past decade. We probably wouldn't have had Batman Begins/The Dark Knight the way we know them now. Warner Bros. probably wouldn't have cared enough to buy the rights to Bone or Y: The Last Man (well it was New Line Cinema then). It's a nice little side effect.

Link1110

Blader5489 said:
Those two years are going to be pretty crowded with superhero movies.

2010: Iron Man 2, Thor, Superman: Man of Steel, Spider-Man 4 (tentative)
2011: Captain America, The Avengers, Nolan's Batman 3

Holy crap!!
Can't believe they're making Spiderman 4. If it's any worse than 3, it may be the worst superhero movie of all time.

Cheebs

Link1110 said:
Can't believe they're making Spiderman 4. If it's any worse than 3, it may be the worst superhero movie of all time.
Its in development hell, dont expect it for a long time.

Holtz

Hell yeah, Thor. Matthew Vaughn is a great director, and apparently the script is out of this world amazing. Both IM2 and Thor in the same year, so awesome. :D

borghe

AniHawk said:
Without Marvel doing all these superhero flicks, I wonder where Hollywood would've gone for big summer movies this past decade. We probably wouldn't have had Batman Begins/The Dark Knight the way we know them now. Warner Bros. probably wouldn't have cared enough to buy the rights to Bone or Y: The Last Man (well it was New Line Cinema then). It's a nice little side effect.
agreed.. marvel played a really big part in the box office boom on the 00s. I mean you also had POTC, the prequel trilogy, and that other famous trilogy.. :p

but you are correct in that Marvel contributed probably over a billion dollars to the industry when all is said and done, and that amount looks like it might even be ramping up now.

Blader5489 said:
What are you talking about? They've got James Vanderbilt writing it right now.
Dawson?

Blader

Link1110 said:

I wish people would stop throwing that around. Elektra, Supergirl, Batman & Robin, fucking Steel...those are the worst of the genre. Not even Fantastic Four belongs in that group, much less Spider-Man.

borghe

Blader5489 said:
I wish people would stop throwing that around. Elektra, Supergirl, Batman & Robin, fucking Steel...those are the worst of the genre.
maaaaaannnn.. SM3 is REALLY close to those. Fucking. Awful. They are starting to show preview clips on Starz now as it debuts next month and every clip I cringe at the memory of how utterly awful that movie was.

AniHawk said:
God damn.

Why wouldn't Watchmen count?

AniHawk said:
God damn.

What the hell is DC doing? They have Batman and Superman. And then there was supposed to be a Wonderv Woman moie, and a Superman/Batman movie. And a Justice League movie. I guess Watchmen too, but I don't know if that counts.

DC is putting out awesome animated features like The New Frontier and Gotham Knight.

Cheebs

Blader5489 said:
What are you talking about? They've got James Vanderbilt writing it right now.
I am willing to bet hard money spidey 4 wont be out in 2 years, not a chance. I say 2011-2012.

Uncle

DarienA said:

I think they'll do the "Is this guy crazy or what" stuff in the Avengers movie. I can almost see Robert Downey Jr reacting to someone claiming to be a norse god already.

ElyrionX

Blader5489 said:
I wish people would stop throwing that around. Elektra, Supergirl, Batman & Robin, fucking Steel...those are the worst of the genre. Not even Fantastic Four belongs in that group, much less Spider-Man.

I think what people mean (or at least what I think they mean) is that Spiderman 3 has got to be the most disappointing superhero movie ever. Not the worst but the most disappointing, definitely. There was so much potential and the trailers were so good. And then after the film is done and the credits are scrolling, you're thinking "WTF was that shit?". It's like playing DMC2 all over again.

borghe

AmMortal said:
I thinnk Captain America is gonna have a hard time appealing to Europeans...
Not true at all. Captain America =/= America. The character has a 60+ years history throughout the world and (much like superman) represents pretty universal values. If not done heavy handed towards america it could be extremely popular.

Linkzg said:
I was thinking that there wouldn't be an Iron Man 2. I wonder what villain they could have that would not totally suck.

Mandarin could work... just change him from a magic character to something a little more tech based/grounded.

Titanium man, Crimson dynamo....
Armor wars.

Demon in a bottle.

Or create something new.

With Marvel having all the rights, there's nothing saying they couldn't pull a character from outside the Iron Man lore.

AmMortal

Banned
Uncle said:
But he saved us from the nazis/skrulls!

I know he's bad ass and awesome. But the general public is, you know, here in the UK for instance they'll be like:

"Fuckin' hell mate, who needs this Yank ?", ( start laughing in a Bristish-ish ).

WrikaWrek

Banned
Captain America will only work if they do his "origins" in the Avengers Movie, like they did with the Ultimate Avengers comic books that freaking rock.

A movie about captain america though? Well i guess it will make a couple bucks in the States, but the movie will bomb overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom